Thornton Leaving AU

au_bsci_04

Somebody just mentioned Thornton might leave just yesterday or the day before. I certainly didn't think it would happen this close to fall camp.

Yes I said he might leave but was expecting possibly after the season. E, keeps saying genetics and yes genetics plays a big factor in putting on weight if you are a "hard gainer" but if you increase caloric intake more then you burn you will put on weight. Not eating the properly food to achieve results is a self descipline issue not a genetic one. Although yes it could be very hard for him but it's doable with proper workouts and diet. He should easily be able to put 12-15 lbs of muscle easily a year and 5-10 of bad weight to get to his needed playing weight in a couple years. Hate to see him go but wish him the best.

And I'm also telling you given Coach Russell on the workout side and a detailed meal program AU has in place & monitors for each football player based on his body needs & position needs on the nutrition side plus having one of the best wellness kitchens for any college athletics there is no way it's anything but genetics.

I've seen plenty of people that did exactly what you said but not put on any muscle mass. It happens. Trust me.

Thornton becomes the 14th returning player to leave since Sept 1, 2015. This is running above average. 7 to 11 dropouts been the normal range since I started keeping track in 1970.

If one is looking for a bright side to this, maybe we're upgrading talent and guys that expected to be starting aren't likely to see the field so they are looking elsewhere.

I was a hard gainer as well. But it can be done regardless of genetics you just have to do what's required.

Bet there is more to the story then just can't gain weight but I've heard nothing to back that up but you'd imagine even an undersized speed rusher could get on the field in obvious passing downs

I wish him the best and hope he can finish his college career with good grades and some fun on the field of his new school.

Don't we have another DE that is tall and lean who came in about the time Thornton did?

Seems that about 25% of any given recruiting class does not make it past their 2nd year.....and appears to happen everywhere. The problem for the coaches is to figure out in advance who that 25% will be.....and best I can tell, no college coach is able to do that.

So....when guys like Thornton realize that it's time for a change .... best we can do is wish them well.

Now do the numbers on guys we recruit as d ends. Take the jucos out. After Carl Lawson then I guess go back to Dee Ford how many d ends have we had that could generate a pass rush. Lemonier maybe? But hey let's stop talking because I know how some random dummies get and will swoop in with their smilies!

Seems that about 25% of any given recruiting class does not make it past their 2nd year.....and appears to happen everywhere. The problem for the coaches is to figure out in advance who that 25% will be.....and best I can tell, no college coach is able to do that.

So....when guys like Thornton realize that it's time for a change .... best we can do is wish them well.

Now do the numbers on guys we recruit as d ends. Take the jucos out. After Carl Lawson then I guess go back to Dee Ford how many d ends have we had that could generate a pass rush. Lemonier maybe? But hey let's stop talking because I know how some random dummies get and will swoop in with their smilies!

Granted Thornton was a project from the moment he stepped on campus. Sad to see him go but I think we did everything we could for the kid.

When you get commitments from the #1 DE in the country two years running, someone is going to slide down the chart. Our DE recruiting over the last 3 yrs has been strong. It happens.

Granted Thornton was a project from the moment he stepped on campus. Sad to see him go but I think we did everything we could for the kid.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I'm just saying last few years we've had some awesome athletes sign at the position and cowart has started slow, they moving tega to OT, kennison moved to buck....When Lawson was hurt we were desperate for a rush but nobody really produced. Then a couple of guys that we went after they produced as true freshmen. It makes me wonder, but I guess a little more time will tell

Thornton becomes the 14th returning player to leave since Sept 1, 2015. This is running above average. 7 to 11 dropouts been the normal range since I started keeping track in 1970.

If one is looking for a bright side to this, maybe we're upgrading talent and guys that expected to be starting aren't likely to see the field so they are looking elsewhere.

This number seems excessive to me, I mean that's more than half a recruiting class in the last 9 months.

Have we finally gotten to the point where we can "process" guys on the roster?

This number seems excessive to me, I mean that's more than half a recruiting class in the last 9 months.

Have we finally gotten to the point where we can "process" guys on the roster?

I think that's part of it. Another part of it might be the change at DC.

We have had a harder time finding dudes that are pure pass rushers, but we also had issues utilizing the talent we had on hand. Cass McKinzy should've been an edge rusher most of his career. We misused him, in part out of necessity (no other LBs) and in part out of a lack of creativity with personnel.

We also lost dudes that could give a push (e.g., Elijah Daniel).

Thornton was squeezed out by his lack of size, our shifting defensive approach (using more 3-4 and making use of hybrid players), and better personnel. When Holland started repping with the DEs, he was taking someone's spot in the rotation. Tough for Thornton. Best of luck to him.

This was expected. JT was never going to see significant playing time at DE with the amount of talent that we have in front of him. Kid just couldn't put on the weight that was required to be a top flight DE in this league. if you want to be a player in the SEC at DE and only weigh 230 lbs which I think was a stretch and he did not weigh that much, you better be a top flight pass rusher which JT was not.

Not a surprise. He's been long hinting several times on his FB page of him leaving. Wish him the best b/c he seems like a really good young man.

Not a surprise. He's been long hinting several times on his FB page of him leaving. Wish him the best b/c he seems like a really good young man.

I don't do facebook or twitter, etc. Are there any other players on the current roster that have been "hinting" about leaving AU?

I don't do facebook or twitter, etc. Are there any other players on the current roster that have been "hinting" about leaving AU?

No others have hinted. Being FB friends with Justin (which he seems to be more active on FB than the other social media places) he had posted several cryptic messages dating back to before Spring practice that left fans asking if he was going to leave. He ended up deleting pretty much all of them when more and more fans started asking questions. But just like his statement he was always respectful and choose his words carefully and wisely. It was just not hard to read between the lines. I was actually surprised he went through Spring.

Similar with Jordan Diamond. He eluded to his departure on FB in a round about way a few weeks before everyone knew. Fortunately many of our players don't bother with social media much and if they do it's usually Instagram or Twitter but they tend to control who they accept as friends on those sites which is good. But i'm "friends" with many of them and they are pretty mature with it.

Jordan Diamond, Xavier Dampeer, DeShaun Davis, and Maurice Swain are really interactive and great with the fans on Facebook. It’s certainly mostly positive stuff with them but they’re really good juggling social media and the fans. Justin is too. Coach T-Will is really interactive on Facebook as well…even before acquiring the LB coaching job. Hopefully we're done with the turnover and can get to work!

Archived