Freeze Possible Suspension?

AlaskanFAN

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

If that's true, then it should cost him. Still, how much does control does a head coach have over boosters? For instance, you hear about $100 handshakes in the grove after games all the time. How on Earth do you control that? A lot of these boosters aren't giving kids money because they are told to. They are doing it because it makes them feel close to the program, like they are doing something good, and because they think it makes them look important among other alumni. 

It's true Barnacle.  Over 40% of Freeze's staff (4 current asst coaches)  including Freeze himself are named in Level I violations in the NOA.  The NCAA didn't just make up 8 (EIGHT) Level I violations on football alone.  They have 2 Level II allegations, one of which is a Failure to Monitor, that's pretty serious in it's own right.  OleMiss now has over half a dozen disassociated boosters due to this latest NOA.

This OleMiss mess spans over back to back coaching staffs and back to back Athletic Directors in multiple sports programs and includes Academic Fraud charges.  

How much closer to the program can a Booster feel than attending a recruiting visit hosted in Hugh Freeze's own house with a recruit and his parents?  When a Head Coach allows a Booster that kind of access, then when the bricks start to fall don't whine about the heavy pressure you are under.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Freeze wasn't inexperienced when he got to Oxford. Freeze's problem is he knew what was going on but turned his head the other way. Freeze should have stepped in and got the boosters to turn it down. Freeze didn't and it's going to cost him.

It's going to cost him and he knows it.  He had the brass to publicly state on social media that if people knew of recruiting violations against OM, they should report them.  Well guess what?  he got what he asked for and folks turned him in.  And I promise it wasn't just folks in the SEC - there are a few coaches up north that didn't appreciate the way Freeze was operating.

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Thank you. Alot of holier than thou going around. Freeze isn't a bad guy. 

Don't think many have said Hugh is a bad guy I believe most have said they like him. What e is saying everyone cheats just depends on how much and how good you are at it. Mean no disrespect 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't think many have said Hugh is a bad guy I believe most have said they like him. What e is saying everyone cheats just depends on how much and how good you are at it. Mean no disrespect 

You are right, and I did apologize to Keesler for saying that he said Freeze was a bad guy when he didn't. Its a messed up situation no matter how you look at it, and ultimately the head coach is responsible. 

Is there a link between coach crimedog and these allegations?

Also this seems like a good time to re-post this article as there were murmurings of this entire article from 2014 being about Ole Miss boosters. Interesting read nonetheless SB Nation's Article: "Meet the Bagman"

On 7/27/2016 at 11:07 AM, Tiger said:

Is there a link between coach crimedog and these allegations?

If there was we likely would have heard something by now.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lol true

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

But if we are surprisingly good this year, expect that to be one of the theories that starts making the rounds of the talking heads behind the sports desks.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

But if we are surprisingly good this year, expect that to be one of the theories that starts making the rounds of the talking heads behind the sports desks.

Yup but winning beats negative recruiting quite often so I wouldn't worry about it in your scenario.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup but winning beats negative recruiting quite often so I wouldn't worry about it in your scenario.

I don't think it will come to anything... it will just be one of the many annoying things we have to put up with that get started by rival fan bases if we have a good year... 

• 2 weeks later...

What is the time frame for judgment and sentencing for OMs crimes?

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Ir's the NCAA. There is never a time frame.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

From what I can gather, it will be after the first of the year.  OleMiss hasn't even met with the NCAA's Committee on Infractions to argue their case against the NOA they already received in January '16.  OleMiss is not listed on the COI's schedule for the August session.  

The Laremy Tunsil draft night fiasco caused a delay that both OleMiss and the NCAA had to investigate further.  With that said, the next COI meeting is scheduled for January '17 so one would assume they will hear OleMiss' case at that time.  :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be some forgiving and Freeze love going on overall in this thread. He may be a fine man and other programs most likely stretch what is considered legal and not legal in recruiting, but put me in the category of wanting the NCAA to come down very hard on Ole Miss. I never understood how Treadwell, a 5 star receiver from the north decided to go to Ole Miss. I hope the NCAA looks into that.

Doesn't this make you wonder about Shea Patterson. Kid is a complete stud at QB. He can go to any school in the country and Ole Miss hires his brother and then Shea commits to Ole Miss. I would not doubt some other stuff went down in his recruiting. There are tons of other Ole Miss examples I could make, including the Nkemdiche's, the recruiting of Tunsil and not just the crap he did once he was at Ole Miss, the recruiting of Tony Bridges, etc..

I am ready for Ole Miss to retake their rightful place near the cellar of the SEC West.

35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe they should look into their recruitment of Eli Manning too while they are at it. 

Not sure if serious... But Eli went to Ole Miss to play for Cutcliffe, a QB guru, who was instrumental in making Peyton so good.

6 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Not sure if serious... But Eli went to Ole Miss to play for Cutcliffe, a QB guru, who was instrumental in making Peyton so good.

And you know, that gut named Archie. 

No, not serious. Just joking around. People seem to forget the plethora of reasons why these kids already wanted to go to Ole Miss that may have had absolutely nothing to do with violating NCAA rules. Instead, people act as if it is the only possible  reason. 

On 8/9/2016 at 9:36 AM, keesler said:

From what I can gather, it will be after the first of the year.  OleMiss hasn't even met with the NCAA's Committee on Infractions to argue their case against the NOA they already received in January '16.  OleMiss is not listed on the COI's schedule for the August session.  Curious how you know this.

The Laremy Tunsil draft night fiasco caused a delay that both OleMiss and the NCAA had to investigate further.  With that said, the next COI meeting is scheduled for January '17 so one would assume they will hear OleMiss' case at that time.  :dunno:   Curious how you know this as well.   The NCAA never speaks publicly about who is under investigation much less when a meeting is taking place.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the Bagman article again, I can see Oxford and its BBQ eateries being time tested Bagman 5 star eateries. I have disliked OM for many years and now even more.  When lower SEC schools come out of nowhere and land 5 star recruits left and right, it makes me take notice.  I like Freeze as well as Art Briles. I tend to think that Briles is the better of the with regard to coaching abilities; Briles is a superior coach.  I am still trying to figure what went wrong for Briles as I try to peel back the layers of what got him in the mess that cost him his job. Does this mean he cannot ever coach again?  I think he is a coach that could help Gus better find his way.

Nick hired a supposed alcoholic as an analyst without too much fanfare. He also hired a coach with a not so great reputation in the SEC and PAC 12 as his OC.  I wish Gus would consider doing this with Briles.  We would hear some flack no doubt, but Gus having a superior coach on staff may very well get our offense back to one that churns out 450-550 yards per game.  I think that Briles has learned some painful lessons and could redeem himself by doing some honest no nonsense work to get us back as a year in and out tough team to beat. 

Archived