Two thousand yard rushers?

lionheartkc

I didn't say it... Horton did...

“Absolutely (we could have a 1,000-yard rusher),” Horton said. “We may have two. No question.”

He also said...

“We have good players,” Horton said. “We have five good running backs and I tell you who I have been really pleased with: he’s a better player now than in the spring and that’s Malik Miller. Malik Miller, if he was a stock, it’s really going up right now. So I’m really pleased with Malik. Again, I think this group has a chance to be really good, as good as we’ve ever had.”

I'm not sure if I feel good or nervous about that...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel good. Horton knows a lot more about RBs than Gus did about Jeremy Johnson last fall :)

No, seriously, it makes me feel good. I was optimistic about Miller because he shared a backfield with KJ in high school and his coach wasn't shy in his praise or in comparing the two in terms of production. So I do read this with a bit of confirmation bias, but it's good to hear. Also, if he's asked directly if he can have 2 1,000 yard rushers, and he's coaching a young roster of guys in need of confidence, it's not the worst answer. 

One thing that makes me pump my brakes is that Horton's only talking about his guys. He's probably not opining on the rest of the offense. "O line? Ask Herb."

I'd have to say, after seeing the evidence on the field, if Horton says it then I feel pretty darn good about it.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One thing that makes me pump my brakes is that Horton's only talking about his guys. He's probably not opining on the rest of the offense. "O line? Ask Herb."

Good thought.  I wonder, though, if he says these things with one eye on the offensive line.  He's smart enough to know they work hand in hand and he's not JUST saying "they'll be good" .. He's actually throwing out the 1000 yd numbers...

Haven't seen any "mark my words" comments yet but with Horton's history it's nice to hear his confidence.  Personally, I believe AU will struggle again, offensively, this year.  My tentative hope is that this is the year that the AU Defense finally makes some noise.

War Eagle!

With the way Gus likes to run the ball I could see Auburn with a 1200 yard rusher and a 500 yard rusher.  I think it would be hard to have 2 1000 yard rushers without one being a running qb. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

With the way Gus likes to run the ball I could see Auburn with a 1200 yard rusher and a 500 yard rusher.  I think it would be hard to have 2 1000 yard rushers without one being a running qb. 

I feel had Barber & Robinson stayed, they had a legit chance to both top 1000. I def do not see a pair doing it this season.

If one or two of the receivers step up and make great catches to spread out the defense, I absolutely see this happening.  The Clemson game will be a good place to see if Horton is right (which I genuinely believe he is).  Clemson does not have two returning defensive ends, so our speedy running backs can do what they do best and sweep to the side IF the receivers do their job.  I am excited for the first game.  

First, IMHO Horton is one of the 10 best RB coaches in the country. So, looking at who's back from last year plus who's coming in, plus the O-line and yes; I believe he can produce 2 RB's who top 1,000 yards.

But, to do it hard headed Gus must throw the ball at least 25% of the time on first down and either White or Johnson must complete at least 60% of those attempts. This will keep the LB's and Safeties back. In other words blend in some of the Baylor scheme and less dependents on the read option.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Clemson does not have two returning defensive ends, so our speedy running backs can do what they do best and sweep to the side IF the receivers do their job.  I am excited for the first game.  

Reports are their DEs have been very impressive.

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Reports are their DEs have been very impressive.

It's Clemson saying that though.  They won't say they aren't good.  And they may very well be really good.  But our offensive line is ranked 8th in the country and Chandler Cox is starting to mow people over for the running back (watch the Memphis game) like Prosch.  I am excited for what is to come.  The defense will be confused of who will run the ball with a running back, Chandler Cox, and JJ/JFIII in the game at one time.  

Again, Clemson's front could be really good, I am not diminishing them.  But Shaq is gone, which would be Auburn without Lawson.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

It's Clemson saying that though.  They won't say they aren't good.  And they may very well be really good.

Again, Clemson's front could be really good, I am not diminishing them.  But Shaq is gone, which would be Auburn without Lawson.

It was ACC Media Days. A reporter's first statement to Dabo was (I'm paraphrasing), "Those that have seen your practices say your Defensive Ends are as good as last year."

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

It was ACC Media Days. A reporter's first statement to Dabo was (I'm paraphrasing), "Those that have seen your practices say your Defensive Ends are as good as last year."

That could very well be true but they aren't tested as starters yet.  Last year the reporters thought JJ was a Heisman contender as well.  I still think though that there will be some drop off for them, at least at the beginning.  The first games are always crazy due to the time to prepare.  We just need to come out swinging and run the ball right at them to see how they will react.  Face it head on.  Don't give them confidence that we think they are just as good.  I am confident in our line (both lines for that matter)  will hold up.

If we can throw some things in there like giving Cox some carries, or Pettway some carries when he's lined up at H-Back (if he does this at all this season) when Kerryon or anyone else is playing running back it can make it harder to defend. When Prosch was here the ball carrier almost always followed him. And it worked because Prosch was so dominant. But imagine if he was a threat to run as well it would've been a whole new set of issues defensive coordinators would have to think about.

Edit: but unless one of our QBs become a 1000 yard rusher I don't see us having 2.

36 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That could very well be true but they aren't tested as starters yet.  Last year the reporters thought JJ was a Heisman contender as well.

EVERYONE thought Johnson was going to be great.

DEs don't get deer in headlights looks.

We're replacing both OTs too, so it isn't like their green DEs are going up against our veteran OTs. Yes I realize Leff got considerable PT last season with Young out, but so did DE Austin Bryant when Shaq Lawson was out.

I've been thinking about this Clemson game, and to me it seems like we match up pretty good with them.  Of course, all this hangs on the premise that our D-Line will put a lot of pressure on DW.  If our offense can spread it out and keep them on their toes, then I think we have a truly legit shot at beating them.  Add the "hungry" factor to our guys and an 8:00 p.m. kickoff at JHS and VOILA!  AU 35  Clemson 24.  

17 minutes ago, AUBURNJAC said:

I've been thinking about this Clemson game, and to me it seems like we match up pretty good with them.  Of course, all this hangs on the premise that our D-Line will put a lot of pressure on DW.  If our offense can spread it out and keep them on their toes, then I think we have a truly legit shot at beating them.  Add the "hungry" factor to our guys and an 8:00 p.m. kickoff at JHS and VOILA!  AU 35  Clemson 24.  

Agreed.

31 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

We're replacing both OTs too, so it isn't like their green DEs are going up against our veteran OTs. Yes I realize Leff got considerable PT last season with Young out, but so did DE Austin Bryant when Shaq Lawson was out.

Austin Golson is going back to the spot he has always played his best and has experience.  His interview last week you could even tell in his demeanor that he is comfortable.  Leff has always been a guy coaches have loved and was on the cusp on starting.  He seems confident in his interview on the 6th.  I like the backups in Horton and James as well.  I am worried about who backs up center but XD has been on fire in Fall camp apparently.  I am excited either way.  Our line is used to playing elite defensive linemen while Clemson hasn't played dominant lines week in and week out in my opinion.  But this is just my opinion of course.

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Austin Golson is going back to the spot he has always played his best and has experience.  His interview last week you could even tell in his demeanor that he is comfortable.  Leff has always been a guy coaches have loved and was on the cusp on starting.  He seems confident in his interview on the 6th.  I like the backups in Horton and James as well.  I am worried about who backs up center but XD has been on fire in Fall camp apparently.  I am excited either way.  Our line is used to playing elite defensive linemen while Clemson hasn't played dominant lines week in and week out in my opinion.  But this is just my opinion of course.

I'm lock step with you on all this. 

We had an adequate OL last year (except for Golson's play at center the first half of the season... eesh). It wasn't great. We won't be great to start this year, either, but I doubt there's a dropoff. What we gain in the interior- Kozan's healthier, Smith's more experienced, Dampeer almost has to be an upgrade- should more than compensate for any dropoff from Coleman to Golson, and there won't be any dropoff from Young to Leff. We saw that when Leff filled in for Young last year. There's also the Herb Hand factor. 

I think we're in better shape to start the season than we were last year.

Archived