Offensive style with JF3

sevenlee36

The Spread Triple Option like seen in the video, I believe would be extremely effective and exciting. JF3 I think could run it? (Not sure of the difficulty and time it would take to implement). Plays like seen in the video would utilize JF's speed and in some cases there are less passing targets giving less reads. I'd like to see this with JF3 (if he gets the job).

People forget Marshall only threw a few passes a game, and he missed a lot of open guys. He prob left 10 td's on the field with missed passes. JF3 just needs to hit a few of those also and make good reads and he will get the job. He doesn't have to have all world arm talent, NM sure didn't. If he can't make good reads then SW will be the guy untill he loses the job. 

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

People forget Marshall only threw a few passes a game, and he missed a lot of open guys. He prob left 10 td's on the field with missed passes. JF3 just needs to hit a few of those also and make good reads and he will get the job. He doesn't have to have all world arm talent, NM sure didn't. If he can't make good reads then SW will be the guy untill he loses the job. 

Ya I really feel if we don't design an offense like the STO then we are going to go with SW and have packages for JF3. I know they are still young but those new WR's could make the "SW" offense better. We missed a speedster last year and we have that ability on roster now. Like Eli Stove's speed!

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Wat? NM was 17th in the country in passing efficiency in 2014 ahead of a few current NFL QBs. You might recognize some of these names. 

Cook

Goff

Winston

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/year/2014

6 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Nick also didn't turn the ball over much. His misses weren't turnovers often. JF3 struggled w/ TOs in the Spring & my understanding is he still is in the Fall.

6 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

The Spread Triple Option like seen in the video, I believe would be extremely effective and exciting. JF3 I think could run it? (Not sure of the difficulty and time it would take to implement). Plays like seen in the video would utilize JF's speed and in some cases there are less passing targets giving less reads. I'd like to see this with JF3 (if he gets the job).

This is good in theory. Putting it in practice is doable but not a given. JF3 has never run an option offense to my knowledge. He is a bright kid and smart enough to. It takes quick decisions & A LOT of practice. It's possible because Nick was not in an option offense before he came to AU either. The difference between the 2 though is Nick was named starter very early into Fall camp so he had quite a bit more practice w/ the read O w/ the 1s than JF3 is getting being in a QB race now.

9 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

2013 not 2014. Our O was little different in 14. As it should be next season if Jf3 has 2 seasons 

In 2013 he was still ranked in the 30s in pass efficiency. We didn't throw much in some of the games that year simply because we didn't have to. His arm single handedly won the MSU game in 2013. 

I think the turnover issue with JF3 is something that will take care of itself. Once he sets the tempo of the game, this will give him the confidence he needs to manage a game and be able to exploit defenses with his speed and ability to read defenses quicker than they can read him. He has all of the tools to be a very successful dual threat QB.

I think Gus is keeping this under wraps and will name JF3 as the starting QB within the next 7-10 days. However, he may hold off until near game day all the while knowing who his starting QB will be well before game day. The longer Gus holds off on this, the more difficult it will be for Clemson to develop a defensive plan for whoever will be our starting QB. I do think a lot of what we see in open practices is not what is really going on behind the scenes. Just my take.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I think the turnover issue with JF3 is something that will take care of itself. Once he sets the tempo of the game, this will give him the confidence he needs to manage a game and be able to exploit defenses with his speed and ability to read defenses quicker than they can read him. He has all of the tools to be a very successful dual threat QB.

I think Gus is keeping this under wraps and will name JF3 as the starting QB within the next 7-10 days. However, he may hold off until near game day all the while knowing who his starting QB will be well before game day. The longer Gus holds off on this, the more difficult it will be for Clemson to develop a defensive plan for whoever will be our starting QB. I do think a lot of what we see in open practices is not what is really going on behind the scenes. Just my take.

Not being contention, but what causes you to think that? Just wondering what you see that leads you to suspect that? thanks for any insight you can provide because i am looking for anything to give me hope for JF3.

Who knows. I do think we are only seeing what we are supposed to see with JF3 and this is what we want the opposition to think. I am just trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together like most of us are. I just feel that JF3 will explode on this scene and make defenses take notice that we are back to being a potent run game attack with just enough passing to keep defenses honest. I do not think we will ever be a pass happy team running Gus' offense. Even if JF3 is not the starter, he will be in the game a good deal and make whoever the starter is to become a far more potent QB than otherwise. Just a guess. No one really knows outside of the coaching staff what really is going on.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:23 PM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Marshall averaged 20 passes per game over his 2 years and hit 60%. Maybe you misunderstand what the word few means?

On 8/13/2016 at 11:19 AM, WDEKC said:

In 2013 he was still ranked in the 30s in pass efficiency. We didn't throw much in some of the games that year simply because we didn't have to. His arm single handedly won the MSU game in 2013. 

I think @ScottsboroAuburnFan was referring to these games in 2013: ARK 7 of 8 , TENN 3 of 7, BAMA 11 of 16, and MIZZ 9 of 11. I would say that is a very small amount of passes thrown. We were rushing for like 300 yards on those games but still Marshall threw in very low volume.

Maybe Gus is delaying a decision because he is waiting for the impact of the giant asteroid that only he and NASA know about.

9 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

maybe Gus is delaying a decision because he doesn't want SW to transfer 3 weeks before the season?

you're joking right? A QB who as late as August is going to quit because he doesn't get the starting job? And a coach is delaying it to keep him from doing it? Did you have your coffee this morning? ))

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

you're joking right? A QB who as late as August is going to quit because he doesn't get the starting job? And a coach is delaying it to keep him from doing it? Did you have your coffee this morning? ))

that's not my take on the matter, just spit-balling. fully intend SW to start and improve from last season, but my theory isn't totally out of left field. 

I don't get how anybody that has watched JF3's film would be confident with him as our starting QB.  

I understand that kid is fast, but thats all I see.  I just see a QB frantically running around with no ball security that can't throw.  Kid couldn't start in JUCO because of turnovers.  Everybodys worried about KJ being able to hold up.. how long do you see a 180lb running QB holding up in the SEC?

3 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

that's not my take on the matter, just spit-balling. fully intend SW to start and improve from last season, but my theory isn't totally out of left field. 

This right here is the problem. There has been no improvement by any of the QB's. None. What you saw during A-Day is what you are going to get from the QB position. Awful. 

On 8/12/2016 at 9:23 PM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

1 hour ago, autigersj said:

I think @ScottsboroAuburnFan was referring to these games in 2013: ARK 7 of 8 , TENN 3 of 7, BAMA 11 of 16, and MIZZ 9 of 11. I would say that is a very small amount of passes thrown. We were rushing for like 300 yards on those games but still Marshall threw in very low volume.

Hmm....threw a FEW passes and missed A LOT of open guys? Looks like in the games he threw a few passes he didn't miss much at all. Based on the stats you just provided, in those games he had a completion percentage of 71%. He also had a TD-INT ratio of 5-1 in those games. I think because NM was such a gifted runner, people tend to completely overlook that he was a pretty good passer. I suggest everyone go watch the drive at the end of the MSU game in 2013 to see his passing abilities on full display.

1 minute ago, WDEKC said:

Hmm....threw a FEW passes and missed A LOT of open guys? Looks like in the games he threw a few passes he didn't miss much at all. Based on the stats you just provided, in those games he had a completion percentage of 71%. He also had a TD-INT ratio of 5-1. I think because NM was such a gifted runner, people tend to completely overlook that he was a pretty good passer. I suggest everyone go watch the drive at the end of the MSU game in 2013 to see his passing abilities on full display.

Being the gifted runner that he was really opens up the passing lanes as well. NM was a strong arm but his tendency to misfire on the short throws needs to be acknowledged. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Being the gifted runner that he was really opens up the passing lanes as well. NM was a strong arm but his tendency to misfire on the short throws needs to be acknowledged. 

I'm not claiming he was the most accurate passer ever, just that he was much more accurate than many give him credit for.

If JF3 can even come close to an NM passer then he should be the clear starter, but I don't think at this time he is anywhere near NM's level as a passer.

NM was a great QB for us. But he was a below average passer. He could throw the ball out of the stadium, but he did leave a lot of points on the board with misfires, and there were entire sections of the field that were off limits for our passing game because he wasn't consistent enough passing short, intermediate passes or throws down the middle of the field. I'm a huge NM fan by the way, just calling it like I see it. I'd give anything for NM to have one more year of eligibility lol

Even with his shortcomings in the passing game he was a beast of a QB for us and what we were doing in 2013/2014.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

NM was a great QB for us. But he was a below average passer. He could throw the ball out of the stadium, but he did leave a lot of points on the board with misfires, and there were entire sections of the field that were off limits for our passing game because he wasn't consistent enough passing short, intermediate passes or throws down the middle of the field. I'm a huge NM fan by the way, just calling it like I see it. I'd give anything for NM to have one more year of eligibility lol

Even with his shortcomings in the passing game he was a beast of a QB for us and what we were doing in 2013/2014.

This is why I want us to start JF3.

Archived