When is the next scrimmage?

AUIH1

Conventional wisdom has declared that the 1st 2 scrimmages were vanilla by design for the offense. Scrimmage number 1 because the coaching staff wanted to work the new guys and scrimmage number 2 because it was in front of donors and Gus didn't want to show anything in front of them in case there was a spy among them.  So, does this mean the next scrimmage will be the one where we don't have to read that the O was vanilla?

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Conventional wisdom has declared that the 1st 2 scrimmages were vanilla by design for the offense. Scrimmage number 1 because the coaching staff wanted to work the new guys and scrimmage number 2 because it was in front of donors and Gus didn't want to show anything in front of them in case there was a spy among them.  So, does this mean the next scrimmage will be the one where we don't have to read that the O was vanilla?

wde

how does a spy come in among the donors?  Certainly there are ways to clearly identify people that give money to our school.  certainly they wouldn't be coming in and then feeding information to Clemson.......................... 

4 minutes ago, trout54 said:

how does a spy come in among the donors?  Certainly there are ways to clearly identify people that give money to our school.  certainly they wouldn't be coming in and then feeding information to Clemson.......................... 

Just being sarcastic.  People have said Gus is so paranoid that he intentionally keeps the scrimmage in front of the donors vanilla.

FWIW, I agree with you.  IF, IF, Gus is truly that paranoid, then oh lawd.

wde

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I hope so. Maybe none of our QBs won't have an off day either. 

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Just being sarcastic.  People have said Gus is so paranoid that he intentionally keeps the scrimmage in front of the donors vanilla.

FWIW, I agree with you.  IF, IF, Gus is truly that paranoid, then oh lawd.

wde

I'm told this is in fact the case. 

Vanilla can also describe working on the basis of our offense. The power run game.   It will look brutally vanilla but helps both the defense and offense at the line of scrimmage.  For an offense to win the line of scrimmage they have to be able to run it even when the D knows what's coming. If we can do that on O then the entire playbook opens up.  Just a thought...

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Vanilla can also describe working on the basis of our offense. The power run game.   It will look brutally vanilla but helps both the defense and offense at the line of scrimmage.  For an offense to win the line of scrimmage they have to be able to run it even when the D knows what's coming. If we can do that on O then the entire playbook opens up.  Just a thought...

This was happening Saturday. 

Don't read anything into scrimmages at all.  They are designed to put certain players in different situations to see how they respond.  I'm definitely more interested in seeing how the 3's did instead of the 1's and 2's.  Which of those guys have the physical skills to play this year.  To play special teams.  Do they play hard? Know where to line up?  Trusting their technique instead of just being better then everyone like in high school.  Cowart fell victim to that last year, now it sounds like he's starting to embrace the technique needed at the position and expect him to be a heavy contributor this season.

Boosters have friends, some of them $puat boosters. Don't underestimate some people's need to seem important and in turn blathering on about everything they saw at a practice to try and make themselves seem "connected".

Wasn't it just the other day, posters on this forum was talking about what happened at the scrimmage with the intent of informing those of us who are in the dark. It is nice to have updates but gus hides his cards for a reason. We will see in time, but in the mean time, i am just as hungry as anyone for info, but there always bammers lurking in the shadows.

There isnt an issue running the base offense, that what you want the potential QB's to know inside and out.

That way if gus has to alter it to fit a passing QB (Sean) or a running QB (JFIII) then it wont be that big of an endeavor 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:49 AM, corchjay said:

Don't read anything into scrimmages at all.  They are designed to put certain players in different situations to see how they respond.  I'm definitely more interested in seeing how the 3's did instead of the 1's and 2's.  Which of those guys have the physical skills to play this year.  To play special teams.  Do they play hard? Know where to line up?  Trusting their technique instead of just being better then everyone like in high school.  Cowart fell victim to that last year, now it sounds like he's starting to embrace the technique needed at the position and expect him to be a heavy contributor this season.

Right. Not that what I think matters a whit, but I've always felt scrimmages were more about the parts than the whole, Giving the coaches the opportunity to see how individual players react in game like conditions, and not being real concerned about the overall product. Much like a MLB manager will mix and match minor league players with big leaguers in spring training. To give them a look.

On 8/15/2016 at 9:41 AM, corchjay said:

Oh man!

Just got quesy ready those words.  Got visions of first down hand offs to the HB going over the RT/RG spot 80% of the time.

To answer the OP I doubt there will be any other "scrimmages".  I think they have seen what they need to see concerning players and now will work on those players weaknesses to see how they respond to the coaching.  This goes for all levels 1st - 3rd string.  That will pretty much complete this week of practices along with conditioning and technique ( along with some certain packages on offense and defense we may see from our first four opponents).  Probably do some type of game type walk through this weekend then solely on Clemson after.  I suspect the coaches know who the QB1 will be already but are seeing if they can improve on their weaknesses... This goes for the young players as well.

On August 15, 2016 at 7:18 AM, AUIH1 said:

wde

Gus isn't going to show you or anyone else much of anything in a scrimmage opened to scholly donors, etc.

Have you guys not realized that Gus is one of the most paranoid coach's in football, so every scrimmage that's open like that is going to be one very dumbed down by Gus and he's not going to show any of his cards.

11 hours ago, TigerWar said:

Gus isn't going to show you or anyone else much of anything in a scrimmage opened to scholly donors, etc.

Have you guys not realized that Gus is one of the most paranoid coach's in football, so every scrimmage that's open like that is going to be one very dumbed down by Gus and he's not going to show any of his cards.

I have realized that Gus is ridiculously paranoid.  It is just that after scrimmage one (which correct me if I am wrong was NOT open to donors or anyone) was vanilla on O (due to playing young guys was the explanation after the fact) and folks said that scrimmage two would be different.  Scrimmage two was vanilla because of the donors.  Just waiting to hear that the O was opened up in a scrimmage so I can hopefully start erasing the O I watched in 2015 and on A-Day from my mind.

wde

On 8/15/2016 at 0:08 PM, imaolgatiger said:

Never underestimate the turds and spies. Didn't we have someone on staff dismissed for giving/selling away info?

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I have realized that Gus is ridiculously paranoid.  It is just that after scrimmage one (which correct me if I am wrong was NOT open to donors or anyone) was vanilla on O (due to playing young guys was the explanation after the fact) and folks said that scrimmage two would be different.  Scrimmage two was vanilla because of the donors.  Just waiting to hear that the O was opened up in a scrimmage so I can hopefully start erasing the O I watched in 2015 and on A-Day from my mind.

wde

Me as well (waiting to hear the O has opened up).  That A-Day 3rd down conversion stat (1 for 23) is always lurking in my mind whenever I hear good things about this offense gelling and such.  (Shudder).     

I wouldn't be surprised if auburn had a miniscrimmage Saturday inside Jordan Hare.  The more game like situations that the coaches out our team in the better.  Auburn will probably do some game prep this week but probably won't really concentrate on Clemson till next week.  

Archived