2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, he still produced as a true freshman at Texas Tech, where the QB produces every year. I don't know what kind of talent and experience Mayfield had around him that year- do you? Again... apples to oranges... and I'm not saying Sean's as good as that guy. I just don't see important physical differences. Was pretty clear about that in my previous post. 

This is what my post was responding to ,Einstein. If you can't see that Mayfield is the better athlete between the two, keep drinking the koolaid. The koolaid that compares a 1 TD QB to the player voted 4th in the Heisman race.

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

All the man has to do is order hashbrowns to get a lot of folks around here riled up. 

I'm a grits man myself.    ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

On 141 attempts for a whopping 2.9 ypc...And his first year, he ran 88 times for 190 for another whopping 2.2 ypc.  Don't be so blind.

Watch the highlights that DAG posted. Sean's passing looks very much like his, save one thing...Mayfield had better protection and receivers.

This is the big question I have. Are the OL and WRs going to be able to step up enough to help our QB? (whoever it might be) I pray that they will and thus make for a successful year. Here's to hoping and praying. :cheers::wareagle: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaynesAUworld said:

This is the big question I have. Are the OL and WRs going to be able to step up enough to help our QB?

I feel like they almost have to be better, starting with a big upgrade at center. We lose experience at RT, but not talent IMO. There was little to no dropoff when Leff filled in for Young last year. We'll start the season much healthier at LG. RG is another year more experienced and should benefit from a more experienced center. Might be a slight dropoff at LT, but I personally think it's more than offset by the upgrades elsewhere along the line.

As for WRs, we replaced Ricardo and Duke (hah!) with 4 stud freshmen. We get Truitt and Ryan Davis back. Slayton... well, he's around. And David, Smith and Stevens are another year more experienced and either getting pushed or getting replaced by those younger guys. And our QB coach, if nothing else, was a hell of a blocking WR, which is a skill this offense needs and missed last year IMO. 

• Like 1

Are we talking Brandon Allen production? Because they don't look all that similar to me as far as QB style. Allen is probably 3" taller and has a longer stride and throwing motion than white does. 

Production aside, I think Sean White looks much more like a Drew Brees type QB than Brandon Allen. I don't think White will ever reach Brees production, but he's more that style. Smaller for a QB, more athletic than many give credit for and has a more compact throwing motion.

Edited by WDEKC
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think SW definitely can handle being under pressure. I don't want anyone getting the idea that I am saying, he can't. I think SW can be an NFL QB as well. It is just my opinion that he will be much more like Brandon Allen, who BTW, was one of the most efficient QBs in the SEC last year, if not the most.

Sorry guys, one more vid. Just a reference for the viewers.

If he can give AU Brandon Allen production, AU will be ok then.  After watching most of the 16 minute SW video you posted above, I actually feel a little better about SW should he get the nod.  I had forgotten how many drops there were.  I think my memory is also tainted more by his post injury performances where he was hopping around on one leg.  Dude can move the ball down the field.  Hopefully he can go a little more vertical this year, but the receivers did a pretty good job of getting 5-8 yards a clip (at least in the first 10 minutes of the video).  That's not awful.  I'm stepping back from the ledge.  For now.      

38 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Are we talking Brandon Allen production? Because they don't look all that similar to me as far as QB style. Allen is probably 3" taller and has a longer stride and throwing motion than white does. 

Production aside, I think Sean White looks much more like a Drew Brees type QB than Brandon Allen. I don't think White will ever reach Brees production, but he's more that style. Smaller for a QB, more athletic than many give credit for and has a more compact throwing motion.

We are talking skill set. Kind of hard to compare a 6'0 QB to most others, physically wise. I think his QB coach made the same comparison, as well. Whether he is a gamer like Drew Brees remains to be seen. I just can't shake the feeling that he is much more of a game manager.

Edited by DAG

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I may get killed for this, but I can see him being more like Baker Mayfield. Size and ability.

Mayfield  (rJr)6"1 210 vs

Sean (rSo) 6' 205 

Mayfield 65% 

White 58%

But Sean was 83 of 143. To reach 65% he would've needed to be 92 of 143. That's only 9 passes which we all know he had at least 9 dropped.

I feel Sean needs the chance to mess up and work through it with out fear of being pulled. If allowed to do so, I think he will excell.

I agree, when he was healthy I just don't feel QB was our biggest problem. Guy was a redshirt freshman last year who was not fully prepared by enough reps with the ones for what he was thrown into. Did he make some mistakes?, sure he did, but he found second, and third receivers, and delivered the ball very accurately on most occasions. With him as the starter, I am much more concerned if we can devise game plans to utilize his strengths. If Gus continues to run the ball into 8, and 9 man fronts on first down, puts him into 3rd and long repeatedly, and then calls slow developing pass plays he won't have a chance to be successful. As I said originally, I hope the light comes on for Jeremy, and he learns to make quick sound decisions with the football. Sadly, I just don't have much faith in it. I guess we will see how it shakes out in a couple weeks.

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

We are talking skill set. Kind of hard to compare a 6'0 QB to most others, physically wise. I think his QB coach made the same comparison, as well. Whether he is a gamer like Drew Brees remains to be seen. I just can't shake the feeling that he is much more of a game manager.

I would certainly take Allen's improvement from his first season starting to his 2nd and I think Auburn would be a pretty good team is SW could achieve that. Allen's first 2 seasons with playing experience were much worse than how SW started. Allen didn't break 50% completion percentage and his yards per attempt capped out at 6. It wasn't until Allen's JR season that he even showed much promise.

SW had a completion percentage of 58% last year with yards per attempt just above 8(SW did not have enough attempts to qualify for ranking, but if he did he would have been top 30 in yards per attempt). I think if SW can get some better protection and limit turnovers he can definitely be a successful QB in a Gus Malzahn offense.

Edited by WDEKC

21 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

I would certainly take Allen's improvement from his first season starting to his 2nd and I think Auburn would be a pretty good team is SW could achieve that. Allen's first 2 seasons with playing experience were much worse than how SW started. Allen didn't break 50% completion percentage and his yards per attempt capped out at 6. It wasn't until Allen's JR season that he even showed much promise.

SW had a completion percentage of 58% last year with yards per attempt just above 8(SW did not have enough attempts to qualify for ranking, but if he did he would have been top 30 in yards per attempt). I think if SW can get some better protection and limit turnovers he can definitely be a successful QB in a Gus Malzahn offense.

Yes, Brandon Allen was a work in progress, performing better and better each year. However, do keep in mind the Brandon Allen started on a horrible Arkansas team as an RS sophomore in 2012. It was BB first year and they were 3-9. If you think SW didn't have much help, go look at that team, especially in a completely new offensive scheme. Remember Petrino recruited Brandon Allen. The previous year, in 2012, he was a backup on an equally bad coached Arkansas team that went 4-8. John L. Smith was the coach at that time. His 2nd year with CBB, he improved, while the team also improved. He really hit his stride last year under the tutelage of Dan Enos. Of course, playing in a system for your third year and maturity helps. Brandon Allen was under 3 different HCs and 3 different OCs in his Arkansas career. For him to get drafted under those circumstances is remarkable.

All this to say, I believe SW can show stark improvement as he matures and the team develops around him. Will it be mind blowing numbers? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edited by DAG

2 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

100% agreed. 1 TD to 4 INTs won't beat anyone better than Vandy.

But neither will playing conservative with Johnson, who wasn't much better with 10 TDs to 7 INTs.

And these options are why I have us finishing at 5-7.

I'm pretty much with you here, as well as with your predictions of a quick rebound in the following couple of years. We seem to be caught in a time loop. What is it with leap years?

Enjoying the conversation, DAG and WDEKC.

Regarding the 6'0 QB comparisons, @cole256 has countered my Brees comparisons in the past with Aaron Murray. Again, not in terms of actual production, but just in terms of skill set and physical attributes. I would be soooooo down with an Aaron Murray on this team. Of course, the difference in coaching... we'll say styles... is probably vast. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Regarding the 6'0 QB comparisons, @cole256 has countered my Brees comparisons in the past with Aaron Murray. Again, not in terms of actual production, but just in terms of skill set and physical attributes. I would be soooooo down with an Aaron Murray on this team. Of course, the difference in coaching... we'll say styles... is probably vast. 

Aaron Murray also is a pretty good comparison.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, Brandon Allen was a work in progress, performing better and better each year. However, do keep in mind the Brandon Allen started on a horrible Arkansas team as an RS sophomore in 2012. It was BB first year and they were 3-9. If you think SW didn't have much help, go look at that team, especially in a completely new offensive scheme. Remember Petrino recruited Brandon Allen. The previous year, in 2012, he was a backup on an equally bad coached Arkansas team that went 4-8. John L. Smith was the coach at that time. His 2nd year with CBB, he improved, while the team also improved. He really hit his stride last year under the tutelage of Dan Enos. Of course, playing in a system for your third year and maturity helps. Brandon Allen was under 3 different HCs and 3 different OCs in his Arkansas career. For him to get drafted under those circumstances is remarkable.

All this to say, I believe SW can show stark improvement as he matures and the team develops around him. Will it be mind blowing numbers? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yeah, Arky was definitely in a bad bad place, especially on offense. Allen had very few skill players to work with his first few seasons starting. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aaron Murray has a little bit of an advantage over Sean White in the arm strength category. White is a gamer (look at his high school career, not to mention his performance at the Elite 11 camp), so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him take the reins and never look back, but I don't think he has the arm Murray does. Or Brees, for that matter, but I'm more familiar with Murray so it sticks out to me.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is my honest opinion about SW. I think SW goes as far as CGM takes him, being that if the offense catered to his strengths, then yes he can be very good. There are just certain offenses I look at and say, "man, SW would excel in this offense." Two of them being the Gus offense of Tulsa and the offensive philosophy ran in 2009, with much more misdirection and quick hitters and less pre-QB read plays. Too many times, SW was in 3rd and long last year, which was really unfortunate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

On 141 attempts for a whopping 2.9 ypc...And his first year, he ran 88 times for 190 for another whopping 2.2 ypc.  Don't be so blind.

Watch the highlights that DAG posted. Sean's passing looks very much like his, save one thing...Mayfield had better protection and receivers.

Waaaaaaay better receivers. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Waaaaaaay better receivers. 

Waaaaaaay better QB too. There is a reason why JF3 is still in the running...

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

To create the illusion of giving him a legitimate shot at winning the starting job? 

Baker Mayfield wasn't named the starter at this point last year for Oklahoma.

Probably, but with better coaching of the QBs and better play calling that can use SW's strengths instead of forcing him run an offense that doesn't fit his game, perhaps our QB situation wouldn't be (based on what most "insiders" are posting) such bad shape.  Sept 3 will tell the tale, but it seems to me that Gus has decided that he must have a Cam/NM type of QB to run his O (as it has evolved at AU) effectively.  They signed JF3 to be the starting QB, but I believe they are discovering the hard way that JF3 isn't close to being NM part 2.

wde

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

This is my honest opinion about SW. I think SW goes as far as CGM takes him, being that if the offense catered to his strengths, then yes he can be very good. There are just certain offenses I look at and say, "man, SW would excel in this offense." Two of them being the Gus offense of Tulsa and the offensive philosophy ran in 2009, with much more misdirection and quick hitters and less pre-QB read plays. Too many times, SW was in 3rd and long last year, which was really unfortunate. 

My memory could be wrong but it seems like 1st down yardage kept us in a hole a lot.

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

My memory could be wrong but it seems like 1st down yardage kept us in a hole a lot.

I believe Stattiger did a pretty compelling breakdown of SW and first down passing. But yes, too many times we ran PB right up the middle on first and were looking at 2 & 8-11.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Probably, but with better coaching of the QBs and better play calling that can use SW's strengths instead of forcing him run an offense that doesn't fit his game, perhaps our QB situation wouldn't be (based on what most "insiders" are posting) such bad shape.  Sept 3 will tell the tale, but it seems to me that Gus has decided that he must have a Cam/NM type of QB to run his O (as it has evolved at AU) effectively.  They signed JF3 to be the starting QB, but I believe they are discovering the hard way that JF3 isn't close to being NM part 2.

wde

He signed JFIII to compete for the job...not to start.

40 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yep....and don't forget the 2nd down plays.....we had 3rd and long all season it seemed.....if a play made a few yards, someone often managed to commit a penalty to offset the result....or dropped a pass.

• Like 1