2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

look dude. That is my opinion I just posted. Getting a little tired of your smart a** comments. Are you saying we do not have those things? If we don't, then we have problems that no QB can fix. Cam Newton, or Joe Namath.

You mad bro? 

I am saying every freaking QB in the nation could benefit from having WRs that can catch, offensive linemen who can block and RBs who can run hard through the hole. If, he needs all of that to be successful than he is not a gamer. It would help, but how is his play elevating anyone else's game? 

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It'll be JJ. I can feel it. One thing I think will go into that decision, along with SW not having the legs, is the fact that we open this season on a hugggge stage. There is no way JF3 would come out of that game mistake free. 

But the guy who threw 7 INTs last season (3 in the first game on a huge stage) would come out of the game mistake free?

50 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Just watched the entire Ark. game from last year for the first time. Did not get to see it last season because of work obligations. Based on what I just saw, there is no way that a healthy Sean White should not be the starter, all he needs is an offensive line that can reasonably block, and receivers that can catch. The guy is a gamer. His play in that game was head and shoulders above any thing I have seen from JJ since one good quarter of football two years ago. I know some of you guys think Jeremy has all this talent, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I just haven't seen anything close from him to what I just witnessed from Sean.

I watched some of that on SEC network tonight too.  I can see why you have that opinion, as it was SW's best game by far.  But, even in that game, he did have some poor throws (Chandler Cox up the sideline for a TD?) and many missed reads on the zone read.  He could definitely be a good, accurate, calm game manager type QB, but I'm unsure about him throwing the deep ball to keep the D honest on both the short passing game and running game, and he tends to hold the ball longer than he should and I'm not sure about his durability for an SEC season.  

Just hope GM/RL make the right choice at QB, and then prepare the correct offensive scheme/play calls to help that QB succeed.

25 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

But the guy who threw 7 INTs last season (3 in the first game on a huge stage) would come out of the game mistake free?

Based on late last season and practice reports, he's definitely the safest with the ball. I don't think that's really arguable

32 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I watched some of that on SEC network tonight too.  I can see why you have that opinion, as it was SW's best game by far.  But, even in that game, he did have some poor throws (Chandler Cox up the sideline for a TD?) and many missed reads on the zone read.  He could definitely be a good, accurate, calm game manager type QB, but I'm unsure about him throwing the deep ball to keep the D honest on both the short passing game and running game, and he tends to hold the ball longer than he should and I'm not sure about his durability for an SEC season.  

Just hope GM/RL make the right choice at QB, and then prepare the correct offensive scheme/play calls to help that QB succeed.

I honestly feel like SW ceiling is Brandon Allen. There is nothing wrong with that at all. He was drafted. He was a very quality QB at Arkansas, but he won't win you many games or lose you many games. Likewise, I do not see JF3 like NM. JF3 reminds me of Justin Thomas out of GT. Very erratic, but a potentially dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Unfortunately, both will have to do a lot more in this offense than what was asked of their respective comparisons, IMO.

Edited by DAG

3 hours ago, DAG said:

That's it? I am sure that is all every QB in the nation needs. 

I'm re-watching some of that game as well. There were a LOT of drops in that game. Wow.

There is a nice play in the 4th quarter where Pettway catches the ball, avoids a tackle and then trucks another defender.

Edited by yngwie1995

This quote from Gus made me chuckle.  

Malzahn on QB: "I'm not ready to name a starter right now. Possibly in the near future." 

Thanks for the clarity of "possibly in the near future", Gus!  

"We may or may not have a qb, possibly or possibly not. Or we just may not ever name a qb and go to battle without one. Allegedly."

i can almost hear the TV commentators for the Clemson game....

"....and the ball is snapped to...:no one.....it's on the ground and, not surprisingly it's another turnover.  That makes 17 straight possessions they have done that. Jesse, I gotta tell you, this offense may work better with a qb back there to take the snap....."

Edited by Woodstock Tiger
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I honestly feel like SW ceiling is Brandon Allen. There is nothing wrong with that at all. He was drafted. He was a very quality QB at Arkansas, but he won't win you many games or lose you many games. Likewise, I do not see JF3 like NM. JF3 reminds me of Justin Thomas out of GT. Very erratic, but a potentially dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Unfortunately, both will have to do a lot more in this offense than what was asked of their respective comparisons, IMO.

Good comparisons, both make sense. 

1 hour ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

This quote from Gus made me chuckle.  

Malzahn on QB: "I'm not ready to name a starter right now. Possibly in the near future." 

Thanks for the clarity of "possibly in the near future", Gus!  

"We may or may not have a qb, possibly or possibly not. Or we just may not ever name a qb and go to battle without one. Allegedly."

i can almost hear the TV commentators for the Clemson game....

"....and the ball is snapped to...:no one.....it's on the ground and, not surprisingly it's another turnover.  That makes 17 straight possessions they have done that. Jesse, I gotta tell you, this offense may work better with a qb back there to take the snap....."

Why name a starting QB if you don't have to? If I were the head coach (which thank God I'm not, I'm not qualified to be), I wouldn't name one until they trotted out for the first snap. Naming a starter publicly does nothing but narrow down the number of things the opponent's defense has to prepare for. Privately, it can help a team rally around one guy, but that announcement can be done privately, it doesn't have to be public.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 11:45 PM, DAG said:

I honestly feel like SW ceiling is Brandon Allen. 

I may get killed for this, but I can see him being more like Baker Mayfield. Size, accuracy and ability.

Mayfield  (rJr)6"1 210 vs

Sean (rSo) 6' 205 

Mayfield 65% 

White 58%

But Sean was 83 of 143. To reach 65% he would've needed to be 92 of 143. That's only 9 passes which we all know he had at least 9 dropped.

I feel Sean needs the chance to mess up and work through it with out fear of being pulled. If allowed to do so, I think he will excell.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:
14 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

The more the decision is delayed the more i feel that Gus  wants to be right about JJ that he will give him another shot.   

THIS^^

55 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Why name a starting QB if you don't have to? If I were the head coach (which thank God I'm not, I'm not qualified to be), I wouldn't name one until they trotted out for the first snap. Naming a starter publicly does nothing but narrow down the number of things the opponent's defense has to prepare for. Privately, it can help a team rally around one guy, but that announcement can be done privately, it doesn't have to be public.

Oh yeah, I agree with that line of thinking.  I just found his statement chuckleworthy as everybody is waiting to hear definitively and he's not ending the "suspense", whether it be for the reason you noted, or if it's because he really doesn't know WHO it's gonna be. 

I'm firmly in the camp that they share too much as it is.  I don't know if all coaches spend as much time with the media as Gus does (I presume they're required to), but sometimes I just wish he's stop yapping and spend more time game planning and ensuring he's got his team ready to rock.  I'd rather Clemson (and the other future opponents) have to game plan for different styles to defend than give them a hint of who it's gonna be. 

Weird. The above quote was incorrectly attributed to me. Definitely didn't reply "this" 17 hrs ago to something that was posted less than an hour ago.

Edited by McLoofus

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I may get killed for this, but I can see him being more like Baker Mayfield. Size and ability.

Mayfield  (rJr)6"1 210 vs

Sean (rSo) 6' 205 

Mayfield 65% 

White 58%

But Sean was 83 of 143. To reach 65% he would've needed to be 92 of 143. That's only 9 passes which we all know he had at least 9 dropped.

I feel Sean needs the chance to mess up and work through it with out fear of being pulled. If allowed to do so, I think he will excell.

While I agree on there seem to be an excessive amount of drops, there always those catches that should have been incompletions. Not sure if he had many or any of those last year, but I figure there were a few. I likened it to line drive outs versus bloop singles in baseball. They usually even out. Don't mean to show my ignorance but who is Baker Mayfield.

51 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

The more the decision is delayed the more i feel that Gus  wants to be right about JJ that he will give him another shot.   

The delay is due to the fact that none of the QB's have played worth the damn. Not one has separated from the pack. Woody is now getting some looks. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The delay is due to the fact that none of the QB's have played worth the damn. Not one has separated from the pack. Woody is now getting some looks. 

Thanks for the attempt of correcting my opinion on the situation.    You cant honestly believe Woody is getting any real consideration? 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't like your tone. Former players said that SW played pretty good and if you don't believe that, then you must be a bammer.

:moon:

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Based on late last season and practice reports, he's definitely the safest with the ball. I don't think that's really arguable

Agreed he was safer with the ball than White late last season, HOWEVER, he was given mostly safe throws like flats, screens, bubbles, etc. i.e. away from Safeties who picked him off time after time early last season.

Do we really want to see another ultra-conservative offense that averaged 17.3 PPG in Johnson's last three Power 5 starts?

17.3 PPG will not win many in the SEC. It may not beat Vandy.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't like your tone. Former players said that SW played pretty good and if you don't believe that, then you must be a bammer.

:moon:

White didn't play good last Saturday. Fact. 

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Thanks for the attempt of correcting my opinion on the situation.    You cant honestly believe Woody is getting any real consideration? 

Told he is. And looks like Jay Tate is hearing the same.