2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

42 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

I believe Stattiger did a pretty compelling breakdown of SW and first down passing. But yes, too many times we ran PB right up the middle on first and were looking at 2 & 8-11.

Found it.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/151716-notes-on-malzahns-offensive-pace/

"During Sean White's 5 starts during the regular season, Auburn averaged 11.1 yards per pass attempt on first down. (Sean White was No. 8 nationally in producing 1st downs, throwing on first down during 2015.) "

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

Baker Mayfield wasn't named the starter at this point last year for Oklahoma.

Thr incumbent Trevor Knight =\= JF3. Nice try, home slice.

2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

To create the illusion of giving him a legitimate shot at winning the starting job? 

:-\

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Thr incumbent Trevor Knight =\= JF3. Nice try, home slice.

No, but Trevor Knight's passing numbers were pretty similar to JJ and he was an OK runner, but nothing special. So I wouldn't say he was some all world player to beat out. Knight never had a season with a higher passer rating than what JJ had LAST YEAR. JJ had a higher TD-INT ratio and better completion percentage.

Edited by WDEKC

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Probably, but with better coaching of the QBs and better play calling that can use SW's strengths instead of forcing him run an offense that doesn't fit his game, perhaps our QB situation wouldn't be (based on what most "insiders" are posting) such bad shape.  Sept 3 will tell the tale, but it seems to me that Gus has decided that he must have a Cam/NM type of QB to run his O (as it has evolved at AU) effectively.  They signed JF3 to be the starting QB, but I believe they are discovering the hard way that JF3 isn't close to being NM part 2.

wde

I'll give you that. Maybe the playbook was impacting his performance. And maybe the coaches didn't trust SW causing the playbook not to be opened up in the redzone in particular. Just brainstorming here but maybe the reports are true that our offense really looks like hot s*** right now. Here is what we do. You put Braden Smith in at RB and Gray King at left tackle. It will confuse Clempson and all 11 of their Defenders will turn into mouthbreathers.

40-37 Auburn

18 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Found it.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/151716-notes-on-malzahns-offensive-pace/

"During Sean White's 5 starts during the regular season, Auburn averaged 11.1 yards per pass attempt on first down. (Sean White was No. 8 nationally in producing 1st downs, throwing on first down during 2015.) "

Good stuff. Thanks

Slightly off topic from the QB argument... In Sean's highlight video, there were a few instances of Cox and Pettway destroying defenders.  They both punished tacklers, and Cox had some very nice blocks.  I hope we see plenty of that this year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You got that right but I'm afraid its just going to get worst after the season starts.

It will give the pundits another chance to say they were right one way or the other.  Fantasy football speculation.

Just now, ausburn said:

It will give the pundits another chance to say they were right one way or the other.  Fantasy football speculation.

Yep a bunch of I told ya'll

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wonder how many honestly wish it just so they can say that. Team sucks, but I told you so. :yay:

Seems many. I will remind them if we are good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Btw, here is some 2015 SW highlights...

Drops and all!

Wow!!

AUsome video DAG!

I had forgotten just how mobile SW was when healthy.  We're gonna be just fine!

I counted 12 combined dropped passes in OM and ARK games alone!  Daaaaammmmnnn!  Imagine catching half those and we're having a totally different season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You got that right but I'm afraid its just going to get worst after the season starts.

Thanks, Golf. Just when I thought my interest in an upcoming season was at an all-time low. Oh well, when does softball season start?

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Thanks, Golf. Just when I thought my interest in an upcoming season was at an all-time low. Oh well, when does softball season start?

I here for you fredst........not like that dirty bird guy

29 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Wow!!

AUsome video DAG!

I counted 12 combined dropped passes in OM and ARK games alone!  Daaaaammmmnnn!  Imagine catching half those and we're having a totally different season.

The kid can throw. Most of the time he had no protection since it was third and long. If he is not the starter, then JF3 is going to be one awesome QB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Btw, here is some 2015 SW highlights...

Drops and all!

1) SW has great feet and pocket awareness.

2) his arm isn't that strong but he makes all the passes and is fearless

3) we're going to miss Roc as a receiver/playmaker. He didn't have many big plays, but when he did there is no denying he's special. I'm hoping Truitt or JSmith can step up

Edited by WDE_OxPx_2010

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep....and don't forget the 2nd down plays.....we had 3rd and long all season it seemed.....if a play made a few yards, someone often managed to commit a penalty to offset the result....or dropped a pass.

Yes, I am pretty sure sean was put in a lot of 3rd and long downs during the Kentucky and Arkansas games. Like I said, SW success hinges on how CGM schemes for him. This might make me sound like a douche but if SW doesn't pan out to a point of being serviceable, I have to conclude that Gus and/or Rhett cannot develop QBs. That would leave one of them on the chopping block and his name resembles Brett Ashlee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Wow!!

AUsome video DAG!

Just imagine the outcome of the season if we just catch 10 of those dropped passes

Watching that SW reel of the Arky game reminds me of a few things:

1) I have never seen so many dropped balls in one game

2) Louis had such a knack for grabbing the tough catches but stone handing the easy ones.

3) I loved watching Pettway truck that DB on the swing pass. 

We should have had that one. 

21 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes, I am pretty sure sean was put in a lot of 3rd and long downs during the Kentucky and Arkansas games. Like I said, SW success hinges on how CGM schemes for him. This might make me sound like a douche but if SW doesn't pan out to a point of being serviceable, I have to conclude that Gus and/or Rhett cannot develop QBs. That would leave one of them on the chopping block and his name resembles Brett Ashlee.

100% This.  Bet anyone a dollar that Al Borges could take Sean White,  and the same offensive talent we have now and field a very dangerous offense. 

• Like 1

Ahhhh Al Borges. He could mold an offense around his QB. It was he who got Campbell to be the QB he was in 2004.

It was the kiss of death when CTT asked him to leave prior to 2008 and change his offense using new OC Tony Franklin.

CTT was gone after that disastrous year. 

It wasn't AL Borges offense that was the problem but a  series of QBs that did not perform as well as needed.

21 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Watching that SW reel of the Arky game reminds me of a few things:

1) I have never seen so many dropped balls in one game

We should have had that one. 

8 was the count I believe.

I felt REALLY good up 8 in the 3rd OT. The 4th Down conversion and subsequent 2-point conversion were the backbreakers. We lost all momentum after that.

Still not the most painful OT loss. 1996 Georgia still for me.

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ahhhh Al Borges. He could mold an offense around his QB. It was he who got Campbell to be the QB he was in 2004.

It was the kiss of death when CTT asked him to leave prior to 2008 and change his offense using new OC Tony Franklin.

CTT was gone after that disastrous year. 

It wasn't AL Borges offense that was the problem but a  series of QBs that did not perform as well as needed.

I agree....but some here argue that it's Gus/Rhett's offense/coaching not the QB's performing as well as needed.

Edited by PoetTiger

4 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

8 was the count I believe.

I felt REALLY good up 8 in the 3rd OT. The 4th Down conversion and subsequent 2-point conversion were the backbreakers. We lost all momentum after that.

Still not the most painful OT loss. 1996 Georgia still for me.

I'll second this- up 28-7, totally dominating, and lost. In retrospect, really the beginning of the end for The Tot