2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Ahhhh Al Borges. He could mold an offense around his QB. It was he who got Campbell to be the QB he was in 2004.

It was the kiss of death when CTT asked him to leave prior to 2008 and change his offense using new OC Tony Franklin.

CTT was gone after that disastrous year. 

It wasn't AL Borges offense that was the problem but a  series of QBs that did not perform as well as needed.

Beyond the QB's, if you believe the stories, wasn't part of Borges' problem that his assistants didn't buy in and cooperate fully since he wasn't "old school SEC" and CTT didn't back him up?  

Not stating it was, but seems that was the hullabaloo, if memory serves.  I liked Borges and thought he would, and should, do great things at AU.

Edited by AUsince72

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

I'll second this- up 28-7, totally dominating, and lost. In retrospect, really the beginning of the end for The Tot

Yup, that game was over twice. 28-7. And on the game's final play...errrr...2nd to last play.

However, 1997 was sweet...classic victories in Death Valley, Athens and bammer at home plus gave Peyton all he wanted, so wouldn't say 96 Georgia was the beginning of the end for Tot.

IMO, that was emphatically 98 Virginia. No pulse in that game whatsoever.

Edited by VipersStrike1

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Beyond the QB's, if you believe the stories, wasn't part of Borges' problem that his assistants didn't buy in and cooperate fully since he wasn't "old school SEC" and CTT didn't back him up?  

Not stating it was, but seems that was the hullabaloo, if memory serves.  I liked Borges and thought he would, and should, do great things at AU.

No, i don't believe so. That WAS the problem when Franklin came in, and CTT kept his other offensive coaches, and didnt let Franklin bring in who he wanted. The other coaches were old school and that is why Franklin couldnt get his offense where he wanted, and so CTT let his OC be interim OC after Franklin was gone.

I think towards the end of Borges rein here, CTT felt he needed a DT QB, as that was where offenses were going. The idea was a good one, but not revamping his WHOLE offensive staff is what did him in...

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I think towards the end of Borges rein here, CTT felt he needed a DT QB, as that was where offenses were going. The idea was a good one, but not revamping his WHOLE offensive staff is what did him in...

a HUNH offense is what was trending and what he wanted.

which is what he's been primarily running at Texas Tech and Cincinnati since.

12 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

a HUNH offense is what was trending and what he wanted.

which is what he's been primarily running at Texas Tech and Cincinnati since.

And he did not take his BBQ buddies with him did he?

I'm not exactly a Franklin fan but he never had a chance when nobody bought into CTT's transition.  At least CTT had seen the trend but just did not buy into it 100% which cost him and his buddies their jobs I guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm not exactly a Franklin fan but he never had a chance when nobody bought into CTT's transition.  At least CTT had seen the trend but just did not buy into it 100% which cost him and his buddies their jobs I guess.

You nailed it.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

No, i don't believe so. That WAS the problem when Franklin came in, and CTT kept his other offensive coaches, and didnt let Franklin bring in who he wanted. The other coaches were old school and that is why Franklin couldnt get his offense where he wanted, and so CTT let his OC be interim OC after Franklin was gone.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

totally agree. His QB recruiting had not been great. He couldnt recruit that top level QB, so he felt he could generate more offense with a DT QB as that is what the High Schools were doing more of, and then the Texas Techs and others began to use it in college successfully. 

CTT just didnt realize his loyalty to his other coaches (especially his OL coach) could not adapt to the new way of running this spread type offense. 2008 sealed his fate..and ushered in Chizik...