2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

There is no way JF3 would come out of that game mistake free. 

But Jeremy would? Jeremy Johnson?

3 minutes ago, SCBusPilot said:

in the SEC his offense needs a Cam Newton/Nick Marshall type

If he needs an otherworldly talent at QB to be successful, then we need a new head coach. 

• Like 3

Other worldly talent? 

Would exactly would have happen had Cam and Nick not chose AU? Cam would still be in NFL because he is so talented yes but would have either had the seasons they had ? Would NM even played QB anywhere else ? Those are things we will never know but I do not think their college career would be the same had AU not offered and got both. 

Based on observation from last year, JJ is, by far, the worst QB at running the option. He is slow to make decisions and can't generate a quick start. Quarterback draws are more his thing. White, when healthy, is quick, makes quick decisions, hits the hole hard and fast. Since he is a better passer than the other two, I give him the edge to start. Franklin at wildcat. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It'll be JJ. I can feel it. One thing I think will go into that decision, along with SW not having the legs, is the fact that we open this season on a hugggge stage. There is no way JF3 would come out of that game mistake free. 

So we bring out the guy who "didn't have it when the lights came on" to start on the huuuge stage?

No way on earth it's JJ, unless the other 2 are hurt. And even then Woody might take reps if given time. JJ is still JJ. He hasn't morphed into some other person. He is still slow and throws into triple coverage 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Other worldly talent? 

Would exactly would have happen had Cam and Nick not chose AU? Cam would still be in NFL because he is so talented yes but would have either had the seasons they had ? Would NM even played QB anywhere else ? Those are things we will never know but I do not think their college career would be the same had AU not offered and got both. 

Yes, otherworldly talent. Cam Newton is arguably the greatest college quarterback of all time. He was just named NFL MVP, and he's only now entering his prime. No, he couldn't have had 50 touchdowns and a Heisman at just any program, but he would've been wildly successful at any decent one. 

And, yes, Nick Marshall had otherworldly talent for running the offense Gus created once he realized what he had on his hands. Gus absolutely gets credit for recognizing what Marshall could do and tailoring his offense to what he had- made much easier by a dominant OL, an All-American fullback,  and more than enough talent and experience at RB and WR including 2 full blown freaks in Coates and Grant- but if you are waiting for another Nick Marshall, you'll be waiting a long time. 

JF3 was not able to get in the rotation at FSU, and did not stand out at EMCC. Having him start versus Clemson in that environment is probably not the best idea. I'm excited to see a more mature Sean, throwing to more capable receivers, with JF3 slowly growing into a wildcat role.  And hopefully our defense can carry us early and take some pressure off of our offense. 

• Like 1

I thought Gus's statement about a player getting more practice and changing from one year to the next-coming back as a totally different player-was a wink, wink, nod, nod that JJ has transformed into the player he was 2 years ago!! So maybe it is JJ who will start first game, and run more.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If he needs an otherworldly talent at QB to be successful, then we need a new head coach. 

Not otherworldly like Cam of course (once in a lifetime talent), but Nick Marshall wasn't an otherworldly QB in 2013 on the way to the NCG.  Heck, Nick didn't even get drafted as a QB in the NFL but was good enough in Gus' offense to go 12-2.  That says a lot. 

The best Auburn could muster WITHOUT a mobile QB in Gus offense was 8-5 with Chris Todd (2009).  Granted, 2009 was not a great year for our defense either.  2014 is still an anomaly to me, as it's the worst offense Gus has had with a mobile QB.  We missed Jay Prosch especially that year. 

2 minutes ago, SCBusPilot said:

Not otherworldly like Cam of course (once in a lifetime talent), but Nick Marshall wasn't an otherworldly QB in 2013 on the way to the NCG.  Heck, Nick didn't even get drafted as a QB in the NFL but was good enough in Gus' offense to go 12-2.  That says a lot. 

The best Auburn could muster WITHOUT a mobile QB in Gus offense was 8-5 with Chris Todd (2009).  Granted, 2009 was not a great year for our defense either.  2014 is still an anomaly to me, as it's the worst offense Gus has had with a mobile QB.  We missed Jay Prosch especially that year. 

The fact that one example out of six doesn't really qualify as an "anomaly" aside, the 2014 offense was quite good. They only had one bad game the entire season, and it's quite easy to find reasons why they might've finally broken down that one time. 

Again, Marshall was an otherworldly talent in the offense that Gus created for him. The pop pass to Coates in the Iron Bowl was an otherworldly play. So was the pass to himself, the long first touchdown in the SECCG while avoiding the rush, any number of the runs he made, any number of the amazingly disguised and timed handoffs, any number of times the game was on the line and he provided a clutch moment... oh, we should add that he could throw the ball 80 yards.

Oh yeah, and the fact that he got drafted as a CB... doesn't it speak to otherworldly athleticism that he didn't play cornerback for 3 years and still got drafted there? And is actually contributing there in the NFL? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SCBusPilot said:

To be fair, our 2014 offense's struggles were magnified because of the immense pressure on the O to score TDs on every position due to how putrid the defense was. Our offense was lethal minus one game basically and scored enough to win every single time except for against UGA. And that game is the only game you can pin on the offense and that was a culmination of the loss from the prior week taking us out of SEC and national title contention and expecting an offense to go a full season without a single dud is asking a lot. The defense has to win some games too.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

A 2014 offense would win us 10-11 games this season. Had some misfortune in 14 and the D sucked. Plus the schedule was tougher. SEC has more unknows this season. 

Totally agree with this. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tiger said:

To be fair, our 2014 offense's struggles were magnified because of the immense pressure on the O to score TDs on every position due to how putrid the defense was. Our offense was lethal minus for a game or 2. UGA is the only game you can pin on the defense and that was a culmination of the loss from the prior week taking us out of SEC and national title contention, and expecting an offense to go a full season without a single dud is asking a lot. The defense has to win some games too.

True the 2014 offense was not far off numbers wise from that 2010 offense.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

One other quote I found very interesting and may have tipped his hand: "We've always had a Wildcat type guy and we've always had a starter."  This is from the same press conference.  This comes across to me JFIII is not the starter, but then again all I can do is speculate.

Wouldn't that seem to point more to JFIII though?  (I always kinda viewed the wildcat qb as more of a runner/read option type - either hand the ball off the the RB, take off running and mix in a little throwing here and there - he can supposedly throw the deep ball fairly well.)

Edited by Woodstock Tiger

1 minute ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Wouldn't that seem to point more to JFIII though?  (I always kinda viewed the wildcat qb as more of a runner/read option type - either hand the ball off the the RB, take off running and mix in a little throwing here and there.)

Maybe I interpreted it wrong but I took it as we always have both, but one is not both.  That we have a guy that lines up as quarterback that will run it (like KJ last year), but he is not our quarterback that starts.  I took it as JFIII is that guy who will run the ball in special situations.  I could be wrong though.  I think you and I are agreeing over the same thing though.  That the Wildcat points to JFIII, but points away from JFIII being the starting QB as Wildcats are not starting quarterbacks.

Just now, Woodstock Tiger said:

Wouldn't that seem to point more to JFIII though?  (I always kinda viewed the wildcat qb as more of a runner/read option type - either hand the ball off the the RB, take off running and mix in a little throwing here and there - he can supposedly throw the deep ball fairly well.)

I also can read into GM's quote that he has someone who runs the wildcat AND a starter(who could be a different player). He didnt say they would be the same person. He ran the wildcat with RBs too or WRs NOT just a QB (Johnson, etc...)

In the best world Gus would love to have the QB run and pass his offense. Not sure he feels he has that the last 2 years...

Well, whoever gets the job isn't assured they'll keep it so I'm not really sure how big of a deal it is if he names someone the starter this week or next week.  If they stink up the joint, they won't remain as starter.  It truly stinks that (as far as WE know) nobody is really standing apart yet.  I suspect this is going to be an ongoing week to week question ("who will be starting against your opponent this week?") to be answered late each week.  Me no likey.  I need an aspirin.  And a beer.  Lots and lots of beer, hold the aspirin.   

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Well, whoever gets the job isn't assured they'll keep it so I'm not really sure how big of a deal it is if he names someone the starter this week or next week.  If they stink up the joint, they won't remain as starter.  It truly stinks that (as far as WE know) nobody is really standing apart yet.  I suspect this is going to be an ongoing week to week question ("who will be starting against your opponent this week?") to be answered late each week.  Me no likey.  I need an aspirin.  And a beer.  Lots and lots of beer, hold the aspirin.   

Or, maybe, whoever starts does okay and Gus doesn't throw everything into disarray by yanking the guy at the first sign of trouble. Lord knows he gave Jeremy plenty of chances before making a change last year. 

Don't get me wrong, you should still drink lots of beer. Hopefully good beer.  But don't despair just yet. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CCslim said:

If woody could do anything close to deshean watsons freshman season....i would be happy

I guess you will very unhappy. Woody won't see the field unless ALL 3 other QBs get hurt. 

I have no idea who the QB will be and will pretty much believe whatever anyone says at this point. Just looking forward to week one. My head hurts. :)

17 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I have no idea who the QB will be and will pretty much believe whatever anyone says at this point. Just looking forward to week one. My head hurts. :)

Psst!  ...i think it's a secret but actually nobody has any idea who the QB will be... wink-wink-nudge-nudge....  You're not alone.

I have it on good authority from a message board that all 3 QB's actually suck and even Gus doesn't know.  But shhhhh!!!!  Don't tell nobody!!

After listening and watching the interview by CGM I got the vibe that JJ will be the game 1 starter.