2016 Fall Camp - Practice 10

RunInRed

I like that statement from Gus. To me, it suggests that he has come to terms with his offensive identity and will move forward with that in mind. 

I think he has already addressed this in recruiting (WB, TB, and JG)

If he can survive this year (I think he will) I expect good things from AU football moving forward. 

If it is JJ when it is a Zone Read and he decides to run or when flushed from the pocket and he decides to run he needs to run hard. There were some who said he was afraid last year. I disagree as when it was a planned run he ran hard. It was lack of decisiveness that hurt him when it wasn't a planned run. With his size and decent speed if he runs hard he can probably get 3+ yards even if he should have thrown and more when he gets an open field.

If it is SW actually let him run when it is wide open there were a bunch of times he could have gotten an easy 6-8 yards and then slid because the other team was ignoring the run. Just letting him run in those situations would stop D-Line from putting their ears back when he is in.

If JF3 don't try to throw as many long passes as that really shows off his lack of accuracy. Hit the short passes and take what the D gives you.

For all three find a way to use the TE a QB's best friend when D Blitzes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Funny thing Gus sucks but has had 2 of the best QB's to ever suit up in Orange and Blue. Let's have some faith people. 

Chris Todd and Neil Caudle

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Chris Todd and Neil Caudle

Well stats wise, 3 of best QB's in school history and 4 of the best season QB stats... 08,10,13 and 14... 

So, he has a few bad seasons, it's all on the QB. If JJ had played up to par, it would have been another top notch season. He was forced to play SW 2 seasons befor he had planned. SW is still not ready IMO...If all 3 are even jf3 will win an extra game or 2 with his legs and that's why he was brought in. JJ went mental and SW may never produce.  Jf3 plays somehow and someway!!! WB may see time late in season because JJ and SW are still the same.

8 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Well stats wise, 3 of best QB's in school history and 4 of the best season QB stats... 08,10,13 and 14... 

So, he has a few bad seasons, it's all on the QB. If JJ had played up to par, it would have been another top notch season. He was forced to play SW 2 seasons befor he had planned. SW is still not ready IMO...If all 3 are even jf3 will win an extra game or 2 with his legs and that's why he was brought in. JJ went mental and SW may never produce.  Jf3 plays somehow and someway!!! WB may see time late in season because JJ and SW are still the same.

Or he might lose a couple games with untimely turnovers.....shoot who knows?  Nobody here I'm pretty sure.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

"Our quarterback has to be more of a runner this year. I don't care who it is." -- that might be the most direct thing Gus has ever said to the media haha. That certainly confirms that they are hoping JF3 takes the reigns, to me.

Or perhaps directed at Johnson because of his apparent distaste for contact.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If it is SW actually let him run when it is wide open there were a bunch of times he could have gotten an easy 6-8 yards and then slid because the other team was ignoring the run. Just letting him run in those situations would stop D-Line from putting their ears back when he is in.

I think this is the difference in how SW performed and a QB like Aaron Murray and AJ performed in their Offense.  If the 7-8 yards were there, they tucked it and ran and forced the D to cover. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

9 minutes ago, AU04ever said:

I think this is the difference in how SW performed and a QB like Aaron Murray and AJ performed in their Offense.  If the 7-8 yards were there, they tucked it and ran and forced the D to cover. 

I don't think Sean was given the option, to option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I guess you will very unhappy. Woody won't see the field unless ALL 3 other QBs get hurt. 

God I hope he doesn't but stranger things have happen. Right now I would not be shocked if Woody plays by years end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blacktiger said:

JF3 was not able to get in the rotation at FSU, and did not stand out at EMCC. Having him start versus Clemson in that environment is probably not the best idea. I'm excited to see a more mature Sean, throwing to more capable receivers, with JF3 slowly growing into a wildcat role.  And hopefully our defense can carry us early and take some pressure off of our offense. 

I think this is exactly what we will see. Sean is accurate and is the best option on 3rd and long. Too risky with a guy who hasn't started at QB in 3 years. 

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

God I hope he doesn't but stranger things have happen. Right now I would not be shocked if Woody plays by years end.

Maybe, but I hope it is because he is just killing it, and not because we have nothing else.  :-\

Here is another positive spin for thought and some of this has been said before but we need more positive comments with game time around the corner:

If Jeremy starts, you get a big body that runs long strides and difficult to wrestle to the ground.  You have an accurate passer when he wants to be.  You have someone that understands the system and the playbook front and back.  And someone who has the advantage of already having mistakes made to learn from them.  He can only go up.   

If Sean starts, you have a guy who is quick (not fast, but shifty).  A good passer who will put it on the line for his team (his first game came to mind).  He also has been in the system for 2 years.  

If JFIII starts, you have a guy who is slippery in the pocket and blazing speed.  He can have a cannon for an arm.  A person who ready to go to work everyday to prove is doubters wrong.  

For me, whoever doesn't fumble the ball wins the job.  We do our best when the country turns their back on us.  Even when we are winning, no one ever projects us to win (2010 and 2013 everyone projected us to lose pretty much every game).  We are a team that never gives up, and will continue to fight (second half of LSU, despite the score).  I trust Gus and I agree with Jacobs saying Gus is a long term fit for Auburn.  

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Here is another positive spin for thought and some of this has been said before but we need more positive comments with game time around the corner:

If Jeremy starts, you get a big body that runs long strides and difficult to wrestle to the ground.  You have an accurate passer when he wants to be.  You have someone that understands the system and the playbook front and back.  And someone who has the advantage of already having mistakes made to learn from them.  He can only go up.   

If Sean starts, you have a guy who is quick (not fast, but shifty).  A good passer who will put it on the line for his team (his first game came to mind).  He also has been in the system for 2 years.  

If JFIII starts, you have a guy who is slippery in the pocket and blazing speed.  He can have a cannon for an arm.  A person who ready to go to work everyday to prove is doubters wrong.  

For me, whoever doesn't fumble the ball wins the job.  We do our best when the country turns their back on us.  Even when we are winning, no one ever projects us to win (2010 and 2013 everyone projected us to lose pretty much every game).  We are a team that never gives up, and will continue to fight (second half of LSU, despite the score).  I trust Gus and I agree with Jacobs saying Gus is a long term fit for Auburn.  

JJ is an accurate passer when he wants to be??

Hmmm....sounds like this is going nowhere fast to me (no HUNH pun intended). Just more evidence that we do not have a coach on staff who can evaluate or coach up QBs. Either the QB has got "it" when he shows up, or he will never have it after he gets here. He sure isn't going to get anything from our "OC/QB Coach". Lashlee is a great guy, but an absolute waste of a salary. He brings nothing to the table whatsoever except what Malzahn already knows. Just makes no sense to me how he is still on staff. Anyway, I vented. Low expectations for the O; D will be pretty good imo. 

Edited by boisnumber1

11 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

JJ is an accurate passer when he wants to be??

When he is confident and is not flustered with pressure in his face. His first half of the 2014 Arkansas game, first half of the 2015 Louisville game, and the 2015 Texas A&M game came to mind.  

Edited by abw0004

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I like that statement from Gus. To me, it suggests that he has come to terms with his offensive identity and will move forward with that in mind. 

I think he has already addressed this in recruiting (WB, TB, and JG)

If he can survive this year (I think he will) I expect good things from AU football moving forward. 

Its always next year isn't it? Auburn opens the season with basically a National Championship game on our home field

No excuses, If AU isn't prepared,competitive or doesn't show up for this game the entire coaching staff should be run out of town before the next weekend.

42 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

When he is confident and is not flustered with pressure in his face. His first half of the 2014 Arkansas game, first half of the 2015 Louisville game, and the 2015 Texas A&M game came to mind.  

Well, most SEC caliber QB's are accurate without pressure on them- sadly, it rarely works that way. I'm sure Clemson will dial up tons of pressure right outta the gate to test our weak spots. 

8 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well, most SEC caliber QB's are accurate without pressure on them- sadly, it rarely works that way. I'm sure Clemson will dial up tons of pressure right outta the gate to test our weak spots. 

I agree.  But, I don't see a weak spot on our offensive line.  The interior is a rock, with Danzy playing out of his mind in Fall camp apparently, and I trust Golson and Leff on the outside.  The line is 8th in the nation.  So they will have to blitz, putting their corners on islands, making it easier for the QB.  I still like the odds if it is Jeremy. 

Edited by abw0004

54 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Our qb must run more? Anyone know where we can get another Cam or Nick? Apparently, Gus can't operate without a running qb. 

Tulsa, Ark State, Ark....

38 minutes ago, 75 Walk On said:

Tulsa, Ark State, Ark....

How's he done at AU? Why does he need his qb to run more here? He ran SW enough to get him hurt last year, now he wants him to run more. 

I'll say it again, all three qb's will start this year due to injuries if not poor play. Hopefully the D is stout or JF3 learns how to throw. 

Edited by tiger88

Just watched the entire Ark. game from last year for the first time. Did not get to see it last season because of work obligations. Based on what I just saw, there is no way that a healthy Sean White should not be the starter, all he needs is an offensive line that can reasonably block, and receivers that can catch. The guy is a gamer. His play in that game was head and shoulders above any thing I have seen from JJ since one good quarter of football two years ago. I know some of you guys think Jeremy has all this talent, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I just haven't seen anything close from him to what I just witnessed from Sean.

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Just watched the entire Ark. game from last year for the first time. Did not get to see it last season because of work obligations. Based on what I just saw, there is no way that a healthy Sean White should not be the starter, all he needs is an offensive line that can reasonably block, and receivers that can catch. The guy is a gamer. His play in that game was head and shoulders above any thing I have seen from JJ since one good quarter of football two years ago. I know some of you guys think Jeremy has all this talent, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I just haven't seen anything close from him to what I just witnessed from Sean.

That's it? I am sure that is all every QB in the nation needs. 

Just now, DAG said:

That's it? I am sure that is all every QB in the nation needs. 

look dude. That is my opinion I just posted. Getting a little tired of your smart a** comments. Are you saying we do not have those things? If we don't, then we have problems that no QB can fix. Cam Newton, or Joe Namath.

• Like 1