Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just wish we could be on that 2014 level where we hardly had to pass. That arky-tenn stretch was awesome

Correct if you meant 2013. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We have no great or awesome QB at the time I just want one to get to the average level

That is not the party line. Fricking "pot stirrer." 

Guys I have six children and all should come out the same way if we raised them the same; but that's not reality.  They all learn differently, respond to criticism and pressure differently.

i say this after reading so many posts to offer my opinion.  Coach Malzahn has forgotten more football than anyone on this site ever knew most likely.

he knows how to develop talent just as most major college coaches do; but those who are successful in this business are consistent with recruiting, and surround themselves with coaches that buy into their process.

i think Gus realized this last year and made changes including his own involvement.  Great things are ahead of us!

How can a offensive unit gel and have chemistry as a cohesive unit with 3 totally different QB"s. I smh at CGM for letting it get to this point with less than 2 weeks before kick off. The QB play was below average last year IMO and I just don't get the feeling it's any better now than it was 8 months ago. Every QB on the roster CGM recruited so why hasn't he being the genius offensive minded coach he is suppose to be, molded this offense around JJ or SW. How much more info can he gain from them that he shouldn't already have or know. I hope I am totally wrong and CGM has indeed developed a QB who's ready to go full throttle against Clemson and this has been nothing but a smoke screen.  

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just wish we could be on that 2014 level where we hardly had to pass. That arky-tenn stretch was awesome

Agree it was a thing of beauty and fun to watch...................try to stop us...

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I am assuming 2013? Yes, I have to admit that was my favorite offense. I loved hearing the announcers gush at the fact that we could do what we wanted, when we wanted, including run all over the vaunted Bama defense.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

True, but if JFIII gets the start, he WON'T be playing against the worst team in his JUCO conference either.  We'll see how that plays out if it happens too. 

JF3 fixing to surprise alot of yall on here that have made assumptions based on a reality TV show etc. Not saying he gonna start Clemson just yet, but like i have said all along he will be our starter sooner rather than later. 

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

JF3 fixing to surprise alot of yall on here that have made assumptions based on a reality TV show etc. Not saying he gonna start Clemson just yet, but like i have said all along he will be our starter sooner rather than later. 

We can all hope. Those assumptions were also based on his only real playing time of his career, not just the show.  If he plays like Marshall, we're all in.  I'll reserve excitement until then though. 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That is not the party line. Fricking "pot stirrer." 

Actually i'm more of a troll......on a serious note if we could just get average or a little above I think we could be pretty good.

The many pages of conversations about how the 3 QBs played in the past are interesting and to some extent understandable. But the only thing that will really matter is which one is playing the best right now, today.  

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

We can all hope. Those assumptions were also based on his only real playing time of his career, not just the show.  If he plays like Marshall, we're all in.  I'll reserve excitement until then though. 

From what I have seen from him this summer imo he is capable of having a NM type of year. I think he is a better runner than NM. His passing has improved this summer. I don't know what people think that NM came here as a polished passer because I can assure you when I saw him in his first fall in 2013 at practices before the 1st game his passing was far from good.   NM did have the luxury of starting out vs Washington State instead of Clemson. If JF3 can make the same kind of strides that NM made throwing the ball in 2013 we will be in for a big year. I am not saying that he will, but I am saying he is very capable. 

this isn't even an argument worth having if you don't understand the difference of playing against Kentucky to playing against lsu or Alabama I'd just assume you've never competed in a sport before. 

Finally...the clueless defense of the defenseless.   

7 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

SEAN WHITE...JJ IS BACK UP AND JFIII NOT IN ROTATION...JUST SAYIN'

I don't know why 95% of people on this site even post things like this without expecting a source to be requested.

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know why 95% of people on this site even post things like this without expecting a source to be requested.

This guy created a user name just to post this. Clearly looking for attention.

I don't typically like to take part in the speculation Olympics, but knowing the way Coach Malzahn is about things, the QB won't be announced until game time simply so that Clemson doesn't know who to scout for and prep. For all we know, he could have had JJ in the starting spot the whole time and the whole mess of 2015 could be FAR behind in the rear-view. The point is, it's really pointless to argue at this moment because of the amount of off-season development each QB has PROBABLY made. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Or his goose egg in the bowl game. Why not show the video to those interceptions? 

Why don't we show highlights of Sean helping drive the ball down the field and then getting taken out or not being allowed to throw once we got in the redzone so others could get the credit and glory if we scored a touchdown? Unless Sean was going to throw 30-40 yard touchdown passes, his chances of throwing touchdowns were limited. In fact, Sean's only TD pass last year was a 47 yard touchdown to Ricardo Louis against Ole Miss.

Sean was immediately handcuffed  by Gus after his 1st interception on the goal line against Mississippi State. Redzone playcalling for Sean was as conservative as could be. Even Jeremy didn't get handcuffed that severely. Jeremy was allowed to throw 6 interceptions in the first 3 games before he was benched.

2 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Why don't we show highlights of Sean helping drive the ball down the field and then getting taken out or not being allowed to throw once we got in the redzone so others could get the credit and glory if we scored a touchdown? Unless Sean was going to throw 30-40 yard touchdown passes, his chances of throwing touchdowns were limited. In fact, Sean's only TD pass last year was a 47 yard touchdown to Ricardo Louis against Ole Miss.

Sean was immediately handcuffed  by Gus after his 1st interception on the goal line against Mississippi State. Redzone playcalling for Sean was as conservative as could be. Even Jeremy didn't get handcuffed that severely. Jeremy was allowed to throw 6 interceptions in the first 3 games before he was benched.

Its no use,  but be prepared to be labeled "Team Sean" 

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

The thing is, you have what are known as Goal Line tendencies that you have to go to in the redzone. The game changes in between the redzone and the open field. Open field, defenses will be defaulting to zones and zone blitzes where you've got DBs either spot dropping or pattern reading, giving QBs a MUCH easier time to exploit the time gap. My only guess is that knowing that SW's ability to read is slightly hindered due to inexperience, it's not best to have him in the redzone where it's pretty much straight up press man and tight coverage windows with LBs being able to help out in coverage. The best bet is to put a QB in that can at least run or fall forward thanks to size in the redzone. Not to mention Jeremy's arm strength makes it a lot easier to deliver slants and digs very quickly giving them less time to be picked off. It's not about credit, but moreso about the strengths of each player. You're not going to trust SW on a Q-Draw or expect him to get ANY yards after contact so the defense automatically can gear up for the pass. A 240lb JJ on the other hand might be able to stretch out for TDs even after contact. 

18 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

The thing is, you have what are known as Goal Line tendencies that you have to go to in the redzone. The game changes in between the redzone and the open field. Open field, defenses will be defaulting to zones and zone blitzes where you've got DBs either spot dropping or pattern reading, giving QBs a MUCH easier time to exploit the time gap. My only guess is that knowing that SW's ability to read is slightly hindered due to inexperience, it's not best to have him in the redzone where it's pretty much straight up press man and tight coverage windows with LBs being able to help out in coverage. The best bet is to put a QB in that can at least run or fall forward thanks to size in the redzone. Not to mention Jeremy's arm strength makes it a lot easier to deliver slants and digs very quickly giving them less time to be picked off. It's not about credit, but moreso about the strengths of each player. You're not going to trust SW on a Q-Draw or expect him to get ANY yards after contact so the defense automatically can gear up for the pass. A 240lb JJ on the other hand might be able to stretch out for TDs even after contact. 

But again, Gus is handcuffing Sean by not giving him opportunities to throw when it might be advantageous. On 1st down, Barber or Robinson carry for a couiple of yards. Then on 2nd down you bring in Jeremy to take the snap and he gains nothing. Then on a 3rd down and obvious passing situation, you might let Sean throw when the defense knows it's coming, yeah I can see where Sean's inexperience will work against him. It was 3rd down when Sean threw the goal line interception against Mississippi State.

When you're an inexperienced QB at the college level and you're put in a situation where you may not get another opportunity, if you have any competitiveness in you, you're going to try to make something happen, good or bad. Imagine if Jason Campbell had never been given another opportunity in the redzone to improve his decision making. The 2004 season would have never happened. Jason struggled in 2003 and made some poor passes that resulted in cringeworthy interceptions.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

this isn't even an argument worth having if you don't understand the difference of playing against Kentucky to playing against lsu or Alabama I'd just assume you've never competed in a sport before. 

Finally...the clueless defense of the defenseless.   

No, it's just even a troll wouldn't even try to say what you said. You must have used all your other stuff up

13 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Unless Sean was going to throw 30-40 yard touchdown passes, his chances of throwing touchdowns were limited.

He may have been deemed ineffective in the redzone, for good reason, but I wasn't even talking about SW's lack of touchdown passes. If we are going to show JJ's mind boggling INT's and claim that is why he cant be our QB, we should be even-handed and show the INT's from the board-favored QB as well. Honestly, it sucks that we have to switch QBs for another QB in the RZ, or even worst, switch to a wildcat, because that could ruin all momentum  by disrupting the chemistry and by allowing the other teams to substitute fresh bodies in as well. SW has had his opportunities in the RZ though. Once he shows he can handle those responsibilities, Gus will put more on his plate. SW fumbling in the redzone in the A-day game ( another unforced error) after he led another drive isn't a great way to show that he can handle the responsibilities though. You cannot blame Gus for limiting SW.

35 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Its no use,  but be prepared to be labeled "Team Sean" 

It's more like when every single post is praising or making excuses for one guy and downing the other.....

Archived