Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He may have been deemed ineffective in the redzone, for good reason, but I wasn't even talking about SW's lack of touchdown passes. If we are going to show JJ's mind boggling INT's and claim that is why he cant be our QB, we should be even-handed and show the INT's from the board-favored QB as well. Honestly, it sucks that we have to switch QBs for another QB in the RZ, or even worst, switch to a wildcat, because that could ruin all momentum  by disrupting the chemistry and by allowing the other teams to substitute fresh bodies in as well. SW has had his opportunities in the RZ though. Once he shows he can handle those responsibilities, Gus will put more on his plate. SW fumbling in the redzone in the A-day game ( another unforced error) after he led another drive isn't a great way to show that he can handle the responsibilities though. You cannot blame Gus for limiting SW.

Yes Sean threw 2 interceptions in the bowl game against Memphis but he came back and led the offense down the field into the redzone where others got to finish off the drives. I never saw Sean lose confidence the way Jeremy did.

After Jeremy threw his 1st interception against Louisivlle, it looked like he started to lose confidence. I never saw that with Sean. You saw Sean come back after his interceptions and him still be able to be carry the offense back down the field. When we are conservative in the redzone, don't expect to score touchdowns.

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's more like when every single post is praising or making excuses for one guy and downing the other.....

Right? I am for Team Auburn. Just put the durn football in the end zone. That is the offensive objective every series and every game. Don't tell me that gaining yards is just as important to win the game. And dont tell me that SW hasn't thrown TD's only because Gus doesn't trust him in the RZ. Either way, all that you're telling me is that we are not achieving our objective and that we may not have our QB yet. 

6 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yes Sean threw 2 interceptions in the bowl game against Memphis but he came back and led the offense down the field into the redzone where others got to finish off the drives. I never saw Sean lose confidence the way Jeremy did.

After Jeremy threw his 1st interception against Louisivlle, it looked like he started to lose confidence. I never saw that with Sean. You saw Sean come back after his interceptions and him still be able to be carry the offense back down the field. When we are conservative in the redzone, don't expect to score touchdowns.

JJ led drives to tie and win games after many picks but I haven't seen either qb carry an offense. But what you're talking is subjective so I can't say what you saw or didn't see. But sw didn't look super confident to me after those int's in the bowl game

Man,I hope none of our QB's are reading any of this, they want have much confidence if they are.There is something wrong with all of them.

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Man,I hope none of our QB's are reading any of this, they want have much confidence if they are.There is something wrong with all of them.

You are weak minded if you let Monday Morning QBs shake your confidence. Quite frankly, I would honestly fear any athlete that brittle. This pale's in comparison to what they will see at the next level. Heck even in the real world. I hope they don't have twitter accounts either.

I would like to think Gus chose the starter week ago and is coaching that way.

Hopefully reality is not, gee Gomer I guess whoever looks the best in pads will start today.

and the qb,s better well damn know the playbook by now. Its got to be more that one page this year

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm still praying for the triple QB play first play of the game personally. 

I just hope it works better than Louisville trying that last year. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are weak minded if you let Monday Morning QBs shake your confidence. Quite frankly, I would honestly fear any athlete that brittle. This pale's in comparison to what they will see at the next level. Heck even in the real world. I hope they don't have twitter accounts either.

It was a joke.But hey lets take this thing to fifty pages.

Just now, kd4au said:

It was a joke.But hey lets take this thing to fifty pages.

Keep making those jokes and it will get there.

11 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I just hope it works better than Louisville trying that last year. 

Louisville faced what was the best Auburn defense fielded in 7 years 

That defense also lasted about one quarter 

what if we tune in to the game, and Woody comes on the field as the starting QB. I would love to see the dumbfounded look on old Dabbo. He would not know what to do. Then put JFIII in the game on the next series after Woody takes us into the end zone. By the time Dabbo came to his senses, we would be ahead 35-0 midway through the 2nd quarter. Then let JJ move the team down the field for a TD followed by SW throwing a nice 30 yard sideline pattern for a TD. 49-0 at halftime would have the whole football world put on notice that Auburn was back and was out for blood the entire 2016 season!

I rest my case for the entire 2016 season of perfection.

34 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

what if we tune in to the game, and Woody comes on the field as the starting QB. I would love to see the dumbfounded look on old Dabbo. He would not know what to do. Then put JFIII in the game on the next series after Woody takes us into the end zone. By the time Dabbo came to his senses, we would be ahead 35-0 midway through the 2nd quarter. Then let JJ move the team down the field for a TD followed by SW throwing a nice 30 yard sideline pattern for a TD. 49-0 at halftime would have the whole football world put on notice that Auburn was back and was out for blood the entire 2016 season!

I rest my case for the entire 2016 season of perfection.

A 4 QB system has failed less often than a 2 QB system

2 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

5 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

I'm honestly a bit surprised we haven't heard a peep out of practice about anything not just the QB race

Just random thought here....  But I truly wonder if Gus was SO burned by letting the JJ for Heisman talk and the inflated team expectations get out of hand that he was truly embarrassed last year.  Gus IS a human-being after all.  

It's been stated on here by some, that Gus goes ultra-conservative in games because of something that burns them, so perhaps he's handling "information" the same way this year.  I realize that he's ALWAYS tight with certain types of info.  But this preseason, it does seem like the AU practice facility is a CIA Black Site.

Just a thought....

not faulting anyone..but it's interesting to compare opinions that JF3 that awful to the possibility of a NM type year(NM was a one-time Heisman darkhorse). If we get anything close to the NM year, I'd be ecstatic. Another contributing difference IMO is that Nick was able to run the show in JUCO. JF3 split time and that could have been valuable experience.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Just random thought here....  But I truly wonder if Gus was SO burned by letting the JJ for Heisman talk and the inflated team expectations get out of hand that he was truly embarrassed last year.  Gus IS a human-being after all.  

It's been stated on here by some, that Gus goes ultra-conservative in games because of something that burns them, so perhaps he's handling "information" the same way this year.  I realize that he's ALWAYS tight with certain types of info.  But this preseason, it does seem like the AU practice facility is a CIA Black Site.

Just a thought....

It's very possible. We know the talent is there but with the addition of Hand the identity of this offense could very well be something we aren't used to seeing. We will find out soon.

35 pages/8 days = ~4/day

7 pages just in the last one day

This thread has blown up into a full-blown, Cat 3 Site Storm

13 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

JF3 fixing to surprise alot of yall on here that have made assumptions based on a reality TV show etc. Not saying he gonna start Clemson just yet, but like i have said all along he will be our starter sooner rather than later. 

23, heard jay tate speak on Cube show this morning- he said JFIII hasnt thrown well. What have you seen or what has Jay seen for yall to have completely opposite opinions? Honest question, not doubting anyone but its curious to see two different reports of JFIII

I have a feeling today the team will be notified of who has won the job.  If that is leaked or announced I don't know but I think the QBs and the team will know today.  It's time to begin working on timing routes for the QB and WRs and also angles and mesh points with the RBs and QB center exchanges.  Plus to really start working in the game plan for Clemson.  The rep distribution to to get down to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams.  Establish a scout team.  I figure all of that was probably hashed out yesterday when the team was off practice.  Y'all in the Twitter world keep and eye for cryptic messages and you'll probably know who it is after practice.  

On August 15, 2016 at 0:41 PM, RunInRed said:

Interesting ...

“If Malzahn does not name a starter between Sean White, John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson by 12:37 p.m. today, it will surpass the point at which Kiehl Frazier was named Auburn's starting quarterback in 2012, when Malzahn was coaching at Arkansas State.” 

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/when_has_gus_malzahn_auburn_na.html

Archived