auburn coaches did not get along last year........

aubiefifty

i agree with ironman. cdc lost some love from me. still love him just not quite as much.......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

No reason to speak now. No reason to speak on it at all, IMO.  

Agree. Probably won't end up being particularly awful for the program, but it surely isn't useful.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

So bringing in one of the best DC's in the country along with his very good position coaches is now considered a bad fit?  Those were some very good and experienced coaches on that defensive staff last year and together they improved the AU D.  Muschamp and his guys have had experience and exposure to elite head coaches, recruiting staffs, at some the countries top college teams.  Did they feel like AU (Gus) didn't want to do the things necessary to make AU an elite program?

Agree. Whether Muschamp and Gus were all lovey dovey or not doesn't matter. He and his guys left a much better situation than they found, something that several previous DCs failed to do. They were a good "fit". 

As for CDC, I genuinely have no feelings at all, good or bad. He was an awesome recruiter and a suspect position coach. He secured what *could theoretically* end up being our best ever WR class while in the process of making a lateral move to a rival program. He gave us 2014 Duke Williams and he gave us 2015  Duke Williams. The whole experience was almost a wash. It's kinda weird actually. 

Whatever. Pour another and pipe down, Pat. 

46 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I like DC but it reflects poorly on a coach to go to another team and publicly criticize his former program. I don't care who you are, I don't like it.    

I'm not sure he did. 

52 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I like DC but it reflects poorly on a coach to go to another team and publicly criticize his former program. I don't care who you are, I don't like it.    

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

I'm not sure he did. 

I agree with alexava.  I don't recall any articles or interviews where CDC ever said anything negative about Auburn.  Now, he may be privately, but I haven't seen any public statements.

And as for the "not a lateral move" comment....well, what's he SUPPOSED to say?  The life of a coach, or player for that matter, is "ever forward".  If he "admitted" that it was a lateral move, well then.....that would open up the speculation.

well something sure happened besides just the players not stepping up enough? i do not get on the players as much as the coaches. players are not making money and are mostly young. any coach that is hired by auburn and gus owe their complete loyalty and if this was not the case then i have a right to be pissed. and no this is not aimed at anyone.just me thinking out loud........

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why can't AU people just keep their mouths shut when it come to the media? 

Love this. This whole thing is irrelevant.  I don't think anyone cares. It's the past. I never listen to anything Dye says. 

@keesleris killing it in this thread, not surprisingly. I personally am wondering what areas of the program need overhauling. If the recruiting process was off base it really makes you wonder what other corners of the program need to be updated. Makes total sense and is a frankly disheartening to know a program of AU's caliber is in this situation. As noted, the guys that left us have been on power program staffs before. Yikes.

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

@keesleris killing it in this thread, not surprisingly. I personally am wondering what areas of the program need overhauling. If the recruiting process was off base it really makes you wonder what other corners of the program need to be updated. Makes total sense and is a frankly disheartening to know a program of AU's caliber is in this situation. As noted, the guys that left us have been on power program staffs before. Yikes.

I think it has a lot more to do with overall philosophy than the right way to run a program. You talk about all of the power programs these guys have coached at, but they are also the programs we all love to complain about playing fast and lose with the rules, turning a blind eye to player discipline, etc. As long as the Gus and the current leadership in the AD and potentially the college itself are still in place, Auburn is going to focus on being a classy program. I think that frustrates a lot of coaches with killer instincts.  We know it frustrated Pearl. I'm sure it had a lot to do with why Muschamp was frustrated. Still, I think you will see that Gus and Pearl can find ways to win AND maintain the personality of the school. After all, we did it in 2010, got an NCAA enema for our troubles, and still came out clean.

The last four years our composite recruiting rankings from 247 have been 9th, 8th, 6th, and 10th.  No telling how good we'd do if we'd get our recruiting processes to an elite level. ;)  Yeah, I know we could get a little better, but 4 straight top ten classes is pretty dang elite I'd say.

Guys it has been "a while" since I've posted.  Read almost every day and facinated by those that love the Tigers like I do.  Just feel like some things need to be said.  Not to slam anyone or any coach, BUT.

We haven't had a reaqlly productive WR corp since Aromashado (spelling?) and Orama????.  We have had some good WR's but not as a group.  Let's give CDC credit for this recruiting class but his guys just haven't been giant slayers.  When CDC went to LSU I told a friend that I felt he was "Miffed".  Probably (Notice I said probably) no inside info here.  I think CDC saw things that could have helped and made suggestions but Gus leaned toward his OC.  Thus, if his voice wasn't going to be welcomed so to speak he took his game elsewhere.  Do remember if I'm remembering myself he coached a Heisman QB at FSU.  Wish CDC well, was an awesome Tiger QB.  Looking for more coach and less CEO this year. 

Now to the defense.  I think Gus knew he was renting a DC when he hired Muschamp.  The fact that USCe came calling was a real surprise to me, probably should not have been.  Will brought some really good coaching talent with him and they followed the one that "brung em to the dance".  Absolutely no hard feelings.  Opportunity to be a head coach in the SEC!  Let me see the hands raised that would have passed that up.  Didn't think so.

With all that said, I am not surprised to hear Coach Dye's comments nor that this staff is in yoke and pulling together.  Auburn has been thru this before as some one remembered Tubby's great adventure with TF.  MY hope is for real stability on the staff both offense and defense.  Defensive line play better improve this year as well.  Nothing but opportunities ahead of us.  Let's kniock off Clemson and shut Dumbo up and we'll be on a roll.  It maybe the orange and blue blood running thru my vaines but i kind feel something special could be on our way.  One way or the other "WAR EAGLE".  Let's tee it up.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

The last four years our composite recruiting rankings from 247 have been 9th, 8th, 6th, and 10th.  No telling how good we'd do if we'd get our recruiting processes to an elite level. ;)  Yeah, I know we could get a little better, but 4 straight top ten classes is pretty dang elite I'd say.

It's almost the definition of elite, and almost a concrete dividing line between teams that win championships and those that don't. There are stats out there to support it that I've shared before.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah, the Jimmy's and the Joe's as Coach Al Borges (I've seen others reference this to CPD) used to say, are on campus.  Have been for a few years now....

I guess it's like they say about offensive lines needing to "gel".  Gus needs to find that right coaching staff that can "gel" and get the most out of the players.  

Maybe this is that staff?  We're about to find out!

4 hours ago, keesler said:

So bringing in one of the best DC's in the country along with his very good position coaches is now considered a bad fit?  Those were some very good and experienced coaches on that defensive staff last year and together they improved the AU D.  Muschamp and his guys have had experience and exposure to elite head coaches, recruiting staffs, at some the countries top college teams.  Did they feel like AU (Gus) didn't want to do the things necessary to make AU an elite program?

There are lots of extremely successful and intelligent people that I wouldn't let near my firm, because their philosophies don't jive.  They wouldn't agree with what I'm trying to accomplish.  These types of mismatches happen all the time.  Luckily Gus and Will parted before further division.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Let's study this a moment guys, Gus has had exposure and experience to Houston Nutt, Todd Grantham and Gene Chizik and he's seen first had how they run their programs as head coaches. Now let's compare that to the head coaches D. Craig - Will Muschamp - Lance Thompson - T. Robinson, etc.  have gained experience and exposure to in their careers.   Hmmm

I see your point but wasn't  Lance Thompson willing to stay if he got the DC job?

i read several times lance wanted to stay and be dc. and he would probably be a decent one. no one came out and said why but it was suggested he likes the ladies too much. and that is nothing that can be proved.............

Of course when you bring in Muschamp, a Defensive Guru and Ex-Head SEC coach, he is going to disagree with the way things are run. He ran the ship at UF and many fans claim he would focus mainly on defense recruits and ignore the offense. This was obvious last year as they were rotten on the O-line but their defense carried them to the SECCG.

I'm sure Malzhan has different focuses.

I'm also sure that none of the coaches liked the way the Duke situation was handled and probably split the staff.

As for Craig, it sucks he left, but he probably felt he could be doing a better job with the QBs than CRL. I always thought he wanted CRL's position and maybe he saw that it wasn't going to happen, or that the position was not worth the wait. Who knows.

One thing for sure,  if Pat Dye says we are going to be good on defense, i tend to believe him. He has always been honest about our defense and I haven't heard that much praise out of him in a while.

I think people are over reacting to what Dye said,IMO he was mostly making excuses for last year and trying to pump a little sunshine for this year.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

True but look at any year from 2012 forward and note that most years 3 or 4 or 5 SEC teams including bama, ole miss, lsu, TAMU, Florida and sometimes UTK or Georgia were ahead of us.    There is no case to be made that AU's team is underachieving just based on our recruiting compared to our rivals. 

I've always contended that we have to find ways to beat teams with better talent to win the SEC West..

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Well it certainly can be IF the DC thinks he's still the HC and acts as such or sows division within the staff or players. I'm not saying this is fact but it isn't too far a stretch to imagine. Not sure how you can't understand that?

5 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Well it certainly can be IF the DC thinks he's still the HC and acts as such or sows division within the staff or players. I'm not saying this is fact but it isn't too far a stretch to imagine. Not sure how you can't understand that?

It's a very, very far stretch for me to imagine.

5 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I'm not sure he did. 

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with alexava.  I don't recall any articles or interviews where CDC ever said anything negative about Auburn.  Now, he may be privately, but I haven't seen any public statements.

And as for the "not a lateral move" comment....well, what's he SUPPOSED to say?  The life of a coach, or player for that matter, is "ever forward".  If he "admitted" that it was a lateral move, well then.....that would open up the speculation.

I consider the HC and AD part of the program. Even by inference there was no need for him to go there or say anything publicly, it's petty. He decided to leave, good luck to you, it's over, just move on and do your new job.  Anyway, I still like Craig but on this he was wrong. 

Archived