auburn coaches did not get along last year........

aubiefifty

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Where is he getting this inside information from Bird?   It's like everything was just fine and dandy on the staff and in the locker room when the season is underway.  But when a piss poor season comes to a close and rumors are swirling that our HC will be fighting for his job in '16 and we have to replace half the coaching staff....THEN 8 months later Dye tells us there was a disgruntled coaching staff that lead to a crappy season.  

Why speak now?  If he's so close to the program he would have known about the chemistry between the coaches 10 months ago.

Because maybe Dye is a true professional - and it was no benefit for him to speak negatively during the season or so soon after. And maybe his opinion was not sought until now. Who knows? I could see the lack of coaching chemistry during the season, the way DC favored Duke, how he wanted a bigger role even though he had little to no background in Gus's offensive philosophy. Will was the DC but it appeared he still had a HC mindset. Questioning how Gus ran his program, recruiting, etc. IMO those are things you do not do via the public. They were all good coaches but they were not a good fit for each other. If the coaches can't agree it does put the players in difficult positions....which ultimately inpact play on the field. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gman87 said:

Well it certainly can be IF the DC thinks he's still the HC and acts as such or sows division within the staff or players. I'm not saying this is fact but it isn't too far a stretch to imagine. Not sure how you can't understand that?

I dont think he means fit as qualified but rather, personalities and attitudes. You have to imagine all the folks have egos and they all want things done their way. So not having the flexibility to do things the way Gus wants them done makes Muschamp a bad fit for his staff

There is probably some truth to this. By 2015, the honeymoon was over. Muschamp is a strong personality, and no doubt T-Rob was loyal to Muschamp. I do not know what the deal was with Lance Thompson, but perhaps Muschamp was more involved in his hiring that CGM, so perhaps there was some loyalty there. But to look at CWM and CTR as anything other than short-term contractors is a mistake.

That said, the big breakdowns were on offense, with the QBs and WRs not producing, as well as the major discipline issue with Duke Williams. So the idea of friction between CDC and CRL and CGM was probably real. Like I said, the honeymoon was over.

25 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I consider the HC and AD part of the program. Even by inference there was no need for him to go there or say anything publicly, it's petty. He decided to leave, good luck to you, it's over, just move on and do your new job.  Anyway, I still like Craig but on this he was wrong. 

I'm not arguing, I'm just not sure what you read/saw where he said anything about Gus or JJ.  Please advise, I'm curious now as I too like Craig.

12 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Because maybe Dye is a true professional - and it was no benefit for him to speak negatively during the season or so soon after. And maybe his opinion was not sought until now. Who knows? I could see the lack of coaching chemistry during the season, the way DC favored Duke, how he wanted a bigger role even though he had little to no background in Gus's offensive philosophy. Will was the DC but it appeared he still had a HC mindset. Questioning how Gus ran his program, recruiting, etc. IMO those are things you do not do via the public. They were all good coaches but they were not a good fit for each other. If the coaches can't agree it does put the players in difficult positions....which ultimately inpact play on the field. 

Regarding CDC, perhaps it was fair for him to want to expand his role. Perhaps he thought CRL would be hired away, and he would inherit the OC role. However, CDC has always been a recruiter, so I am not sure if he was looking for a promotion. Even as the QB coach FSU, he probably was not as involved as a QB coach somewhere else would have been. Jimbo Fisher probably was the defacto QB coach, and the defacto OC. I see Jimbo as very similar to Spurrier. Does anyone really believe G.A. Mangus was really the QB coach or Shawn Elliott was the OC?

The part that concerns me is what if the coaches who moved on were correct with their opinions and ideas? I get that Gus is the HC and it's his choice on these matters, but there were some very good and respected coaches who left the program after last year. AU's last four recruiting classes were top 10 and we're not ranked in the preseason top 25. I hope the changes work, but there is reason for concern. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

I see your point but wasn't  Lance Thompson willing to stay if he got the DC job?

There is only one head coach in that group and he failed at one of the best programs in the nation. Gus has an SEC title and near BCS title as a head coach. Apparently working for Saban has not done much for them thus far.

Archived