Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited to see what ty0e of offense we do have.  I think it will be similar to the type he ran at Arkansas St.

32 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

The pro JFIII crowd must be floored by this announcement.  Certainly that guy who "knows who the coaches want" should have seen this coming with all that inside info and all. 

U directing this at me? I still know who the coaches wanted to win the job by Clemson. Go back and check the posts though as I have stated SW was the favorite to win the job. JF3 will play and I am still saying will be our starter sooner rather than later. U take this to personnal u really must be a relative of SW. I really hope SW does well and I think he is a good qb. 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He won't be primarily a read option QB.  But he will run it more than he did last year.  They tried not to run him much last year because JJ was the only viable backup and he was a head case.  But Sean will have to burn a few folks keeping the ball from time to time to make this offense go.

Or burn our offense by getting injured again.

Again, occasional QB Draws are good.

Occasional Zone Reads aren't.

There's a huge difference in angles of pursuits and getting blindsided between the two plays.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

U directing this at me? I still know who the coaches wanted to win the job by Clemson. Go back and check the posts though as I have stated SW was the favorite to win the job. JF3 will play and I am still saying will be our starter sooner rather than later. U take this to personnal u really must be a relative of SW. 

You still don't know who the coaches wanted to win the job, but you still claim to. 

Please don't turn this into an SW vs JF3 pissing war.  I've done that enough in the other threads. Let's get behind our guy and hope for the best. Let the I told you so crowd pat themselves on the back. As long as we are winning games, who really cares who is behind center taking snaps.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

U directing this at me? I still know who the coaches wanted to win the job by Clemson. Go back and check the posts though as I have stated SW was the favorite to win the job. JF3 will play and I am still saying will be our starter sooner rather than later. U take this to personnal u really must be a relative of SW. 

so you're team franklin against team woody? 

Just now, DAG said:

Chris Todd ran when it was necessary and they did, in fact, have designed QB sneaks for him, which he ran for success. I would hope SW would be given this same opportunity. Quite honestly dude, I don't care I just want SW to be successful and healthy. Holy crap some of you guys just want to argue.

Todd ran the ball 23 times in 13 games.  That's less than 2 carries per game.  His longest run of the year was 16 yards.  Sean ran it 20 times in not quite 7 games last year, and we were actually protecting him.  More will be expected of Sean from the run game this year than was every going to be expected of Chris.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You said go back to the 2009 offense.  Chris Todd barely ran at all.  Sean will be expected run more than that.   

And the 2009 offense averaged 33.3 PPG, good for 17th in the Nation, with Chris Todd running the occasional QB Draw, not Zone Read.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Todd ran the ball 23 times in 13 games.  That's less than 2 carries per game.  His longest run of the year was 16 yards.  Sean ran it 20 times in not quite 7 games last year, and we were actually protecting him.  More will be expected of Sean from the run game this year than was every going to be expected of Chris.

You are really arguing with yourself. The whole point of my premise is I want SW to stay healthy and not take unnecessary hits. I do not care one iota about what Chris Todd did in the run game, only that he didn't have to take unnecessary hits. You may very well be right. I hope not though.

9 minutes ago, 75 Walk On said:

I wish we would all realize there is a difference between speed in shorts versus pads.  Also change of pace, instinct or football sense. 

Sorry everyone, but these are all so much more important than flat 40 times.

From watching Sean he seems to have what I feel are the tools to be a success at this level.  If and I mean if Coach lets him loose we will be fine.  I'm no expert but I played the position for 12 years and was average at best; but I think or feel like I can watch someone in the position and almost sense what he senses if that makes any sense at all?

I enjoy all of the opinions but now that a decision is made it would seem we should now have 100% support as Auburn fans for Sean.  Sure hope no one is pulling against SW.  And if JJ or JF get in I'm all for them leading us.

I was just making a joke. It is actually frustrating, though. Every dang time he is like a half step in front of me. Sometimes, I just want to reach out and pull back on his jersey a little and win at leat one time. 

5 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And the 2009 offense averaged 33.3 PPG, good for 17th in the Nation, with Chris Todd running the occasional QB Draw, not Zone Read.

2009 was 7 years ago and defenses have adjusted.  Unless the QB is an assassin passing the ball, the zone read is going to have to be part of this offense.  

Edited to add:  Also, the offense only averaged 25 ppg in the SEC schedule, including poor outings vs Kentucky and LSU (14 and 10 points respectively).

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You are really arguing with yourself. The whole point of my premise is I want SW to stay healthy and not take unnecessary hits. I do not care one iota about what Chris Todd did in the run game, only that he didn't have to take unnecessary hits. You may very well be right. I hope not though.

I rewatched last years Miss State game and I was cringing every time SW got hit on the run. Hopefully he has learned to slide/ get out of bounds before taking a shot. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I do not care one iota about what Chris Todd did in the run game, only that he didn't have to take unnecessary hits.

And that's what kept Todd healthy all season, limiting his carries, which limited risk of injury.

Just now, auskip07 said:

so you're team franklin against team woody? 

I'm not team anybody I want to win that's all. I am not a coach or qualified at all to say who the better overall qb is between SW and JF3, i was just relaying info. The fact still remains the coaches feel JF3 is better for the offense, but the coaches do not feel it is good to throw him out there for his first big time college start against the number two team in the nation in a big time game environment. JF3 will play and imo will be gradually moved into the starter.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Link?

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/live-blog-gus-malzahn-addresses-media-as-opener-nears

scroll to the bottom. I've also heard this from a couple of different people that are not related in any way . I would not be surprised by this at all. Just watch the state game when he broke a long run and actually ran away from a couple of LBs before running out of bounds.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

I'm not team anybody I want to win that's all. I am not a coach or qualified at all to say who the better overall qb is between SW and JF3, i was just relaying info. The fact still remains the coaches feel JF3 is better for the offense, but the coaches do not feel it is good to throw him out there for his first big time college start against the number two team in the nation in a big time game environment. JF3 will play and imo will be gradually moved into the starter.

Maybe.....maybe not.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And that's what kept Todd healthy all season, limiting his carries, which limited risk of injury.

And what I'm telling you is, unless Sean is just killing it with the passing game, he's going to run more.  We aren't going to run him less than twice a game.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/live-blog-gus-malzahn-addresses-media-as-opener-nears

scroll to the bottom. I've also heard this from a couple of different people that are not related in any way . I would not be surprised by this at all. Just watch the state game when he broke a long run and actually ran away from a couple of LBs before running out of bounds.

I agree. I believe he is a lot faster than his initial 5.05 40 time.

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

Well, that would make him NM then. NM ran a 4.54 40 at the NFL combine. Of course, straight line speed without pads is quite a bit different than agility. However, I digress.

Archived