Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

Anyone go back and watch Elite 11 that Sean White won and read what Dilfer had to say?  More importantly do you know who he beat out in the competition?

Deshaun Watson Clemson QB

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

In a primarily QB read offense, this would be the case. However, I am hoping CGM schemes to SW pros. He is a great intermediate passer. He looks very polished. There seems to be no point in getting him hurt when we have adequate offensive weapons, who can take on the role of carrying the ball via misdirections.

I think they will scheme to SW's strengths.  But that doesn't mean he'll sit in the pocket ala-Chris Todd.  It just means he won't run as often as Nick or Cam did.

Just now, 75 Walk On said:

Anyone go back and watch Elite 11 that Sean White won and read what Dilfer had to say?  More importantly do you know who he beat out in the competition?

Deshaun Watson Clemson QB

None of that matters, unfortunately. We got to have results on the field, in live actions. 

16 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Hence, the first sentence:  That was seven years ago and defenses have adjusted.

You're misunderstanding the point.  Defenses adjusted to Gus's offense where the running was all done by the RBs and WRs on jet sweeps while the QB was a pocket passer.  The QB needs to be a run threat now in this offense.

Highly disagreed. Again, the 2009 offense clicked fine without it. And I'm not saying the 2016 offense can. They don't have a Tate or a McCalebb.

Having White run the Zone Read, occasional or more, is taking him out of his element, which is a pocket passer, and increasing his risk of injury.

IMO, regardless how poorly the offense moves the ball, White running the Zone Read as a staple of the offense isn't a sound strategy.

His 31-yarder v MSU was a rare instance. It was wide open because it was the first time White had ever ran the Zone Read, thus MSU wasn't defending it.

If Gus chooses to make it a staple with White, his production will be next to negligible. And it ain't worth shelving our QB and putting the INT machine back on the field.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I think they will scheme to SW's strengths.  But that doesn't mean he'll sit in the pocket ala-Chris Todd.  It just means he won't run as often as Nick or Cam did.

That would defeat the purpose of him being a run threat, No? Of course, Cam and Nick ran a lot more than some RBs, so that is a tad bit of an unfair comparison. I imagine he will probably run more than Chris Todd. However, I hope and pray they aren't trying to make him into a running threat. W have enough running threats on the field. Allow him to be a passing threat and run only when necessary. That is my opinion, but like I said you could be 100 % correct in what Gus has in mind.

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

Highly disagreed. Again, the 2009 offense clicked fine without it. And I'm not saying the 2016 offense can. They don't have a Tate or a McCalebb.

Having White run the Zone Read, occasional or more, is taking him out of his element, which is a pocket passer, and increasing his risk of injury.

IMO, regardless how poorly the offense moves the ball, White running the Zone Read as a staple of the offense isn't a sound strategy.

His 31-yarder v MSU was a rare instance. It was wide open because it was the first time White had ever ran the Zone Read, thus MSU wasn't defending it.

If Gus choose to make it a staple with White, his production will be next to negligible. And it ain't worth shelving our QB and putting the INT machine back on the field.

It won't be a "staple" in the sense that it was with Nick or Cam or that it would be with JF3.  But it won't be an afterthought in the mode of Chris Todd either.  Sean, unless he's killing it passing, will be given some shots to gash the defense a few times a game.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

None of that matters, unfortunately. We got to have results on the field, in live actions. 

I agree with results but yes it does matter.  Those were results and his teammates know that he beat Watson which translates into respect which a leader needs.  I believe he has the respect of his teammates and they are going into this game knowing they can win With SW.  I know where you are coming from though.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He looked a bit faster than 5.0 on this run:

Thank you for posting this clip. By no means does he have world class speed but plenty to extend plays and pick up yards on designed runs

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That would defeat the purpose of him being a run threat, No? Of course, Cam and Nick ran a lot more than some RBs, so that is a tad bit of an unfair comparison. I imagine he will probably run more than Chris Todd. However, I hope and pray they aren't trying to make him into a running threat. W have enough running threats on the field. Allow him to be a passing threat and run only when necessary. That is my opinion, but like I said you could be 100 % correct in what Gus has in mind.

Why do you keep thinking in binary terms?  I'm saying he'll run it more than Chris Todd.  It won't be an afterthought.  It will be part of the game plan.  But he won't run it as often as Nick or Cam did.  Why is that so hard to grasp?  They will use him enough in the run to keep the defense honest and/or to catch the defense off guard.  They are not going to concede the QB keeper to the defense and let the DEs crash down the line on the RB with impunity.

no matter what,  Sean coming off the bench last year  vs earning the starting postion this year are completely different.    im excited to see what we do with him. 

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

So did a lot of us. Though most of us didn't claim they "know what the coaches want". Offering opinions are a little different than claiming fact. 

It was definitely a fact sorry dude. My posts get to u don't they lol. SW is a solid qb that can lead us to a win against Clemson that is also a fact.

1 minute ago, EagleEye said:

• It’s a “night and day” difference for him between this season and last, White said.

Sounds good! Excited to see how the offense has improved from last year!

Play calling will tell the tale.

wde

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Why do you keep thinking in binary terms?  I'm saying he'll run it more than Chris Todd.  It won't be an afterthought.  It will be part of the game plan.  But he won't run it as often as Nick or Cam did.  Why is that so hard to grasp?  They will use him enough in the run to keep the defense honest and/or to catch the defense off guard.  

Well, you also said we needed a running threat in this offense. Running it more than Chris Todd doesn't correlate with being more of a running threat only that you ran it more than some guy named Chris Todd. Why is that so hard to grasp? Again, I hope you are wrong and we actually game plan to keep SW in the pocket and healthy. Agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Before its brought up how slow White is he runs a 4.6 40...... Just sayin

Not at the Elite 11. He ran a 5.04/40 but as others have said countless times he has more quickness than raw speed.

Just now, ellitor said:

Not at the Elite 11. He ran a 5.04/40 but as others have said countless times he has more quickness than raw speed.

I forgot too that you can train to become faster too like others have said lol

Really happy for Sean. I echo Dilfer's thoughts on his accuracy. He has what it takes, just needs to put in the game. I also believe he is quicker than 5.0 and Gus saw this in him this year. 

One important thing to realize when comparing Sean vs JJ is Sean was not prepared last year. He probably had doubts he was going to play for at least 2 years due to all the Heisman jargon. JJ was named starter really early and was groomed and tutored a lot longer. 

I really thought last years offense was built around JJ and Duke with the thoughts that JJ was going to be a better runner. We know how that turned out. 

Final statement, is I guarantee Sean has better tangibles than Chris Todd and i expect that if the O-line is clicking we can break 30 ppg and have a much better defense. No Northwestern Repeats. 

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Well, if he ran a 5.04 at the elite combine, then I can bet my house he won't be getting to 4.6 at his pro day...

Maybe he can reach 4.9 territory... Which was eclipsed by Greg Robinson, an OL. 

10 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

5.0 is straight line 40 speed. Like E said though he does have quickness. He is not gonna be able to run away from any defensive backs but he can get some yards running the football for us. Defense are not going to have a game plan against his running though. 

5 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Actually if your comment is tongue in cheek, it is really true.  If there is a kid coming from high school who does not improve his 40, then we are failing.  We don't put in programs specifically designed to improve speed and quickness expecting no results.

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, you also said we needed a running threat in this offense. Running it more than Chris Todd doesn't correlate with being more of a running threat only that you ran it more than some guy named Chris Todd. Why is that so hard to grasp? Again, I hope you are wrong and we actually game plan to keep SW in the pocket and healthy. Agree to disagree.

We do.  Chris Todd ran it 23 times the whole season.  Nick ran it 153 times in 2014.  One averaged less than 2 carries a game and the other almost 12 carries a game.  I'm guessing Sean will tuck it and run about 4-5 times a game on average, ending up with around 60-65 carries this year if we play 13 games.  Nick was a primary run threat in this offense, Sean won't be, but he will be a threat to keep it if the defenses start crashing down on the RBs too quickly.

That's all I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope God places a door for Jeremy to get redshirted so he can transfer and do something with his last year

Maybe, he should get his degree from AU and go the route of Mr. Burns. Doesn't seem like such a bad gig with time and sacrifice. Everything happens for a reason.

Archived