Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

I like Kerryon Johnson comment the best. He said Sean has a mean streak in him. One of my favorite quarterbacks was Jeff Burger. He had a pretty mean streak himself on and off the field. He played the game with the pedal down. Saw him sneak it in the end zone against Tennessee on an attempted kneel down play just because their defense didn't make an effort to rush him. We need that attitude on this team. I'm old school but if the defense doesn't stop you, you do not have a responsibility to stop yourself. I hope Sean plays mean. It will be a fun season if he does. 

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

I forgot too that you can train to become faster too like others have said lol

Not 4 tenths for a 40 yard sprint my friend.

I think most all anticipated this.  Glad it is in the open so the team doesn't have to dance around questions at interviews.

Also, I think Stat had some stats that basically showed last year SW was the best at moving the team from 20 to 20.  That is why I think he got the start but we will see JJ and JFIII at times in the red zone to give defenses a different look.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

You still don't know who the coaches wanted to win the job, but you still claim to. 

He did and does. His connection affords him to know more about what thew staff wanted than almost every other poster on this board.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not 4 tenths for a 40 yard sprint my friend.

Yep. According to this article, in the 2013 NFL class, the average increase in speed for SEC enrollees was a mere 0.07 from their listed high school times. Strength and conditioning and all.

Think this is the best decision if it were down  to JFIII and White. If nothing else, White's experience will be a huge help in the opening game. It will be interesting to see how or if the race continues and progresses post Clemson. I'm excited to see how Sean now that the team is "his" from the start. That will be a big boost for him as well. 

Congratulations to Sean. He clearly worked hard to get the start. 

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/live-blog-gus-malzahn-addresses-media-as-opener-nears

scroll to the bottom. I've also heard this from a couple of different people that are not related in any way . I would not be surprised by this at all. Just watch the state game when he broke a long run and actually ran away from a couple of LBs before running out of bounds.

That's got to be the AU timed Spring sprints which decreases nearly every 40 by 2 or 3 tenths than actual speed. I'll buy a 4.8 improvement though.

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Before its brought up how slow White is he runs a 4.6 40...... Just sayin

I was one of the gang that wanted JFIII to be the starter. However, I am happy that the coaches named a QB and I believe that SW will fill the position just fine. I do think that SW running the 40 in 4.6, is enough speed to get him out of trouble and make plays work for the offense. I think our OL will be an overall better unit this year than in 2015.  Keeping Sean healthy will be the key to how much success he will have this season. It is so hard for just about any QB in the SEC to play banged up like Sean was last season.

37 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well, if he ran a 5.04 at the elite combine, then I can bet my house he won't be getting to 4.6 at his pro day...

Maybe he can reach 4.9 territory... Which was eclipsed by Greg Robinson, an OL. 

I'd bet the house he's under a 5 lol. I personally ran a 4.7 in hs and 11 years later would be under a 5. Get outa here with that

1 minute ago, JMassie11 said:

I'd bet the house he's under a 5 lol. I personally ran a 4.7 in hs and 11 years later would be under a 5. 

QyZso.gif

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope God places a door for Jeremy to get redshirted so he can transfer and do something with his last year

See what his parents said are the most important thing for him at AU....the degree.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Our current recruiting strategy is getting good QB's.  We hope to get Stidham, who can sling it better than anyone on our current roster IMO, and we tried to get Davis Webb out of Texas Tech...who is a Pro Style QB.

After the offense we ran with Nick Marshall, it is decidedly much more difficult to recruit a pocket passer.  If we have success with SW, then maybe that would change.

Davis Webb should not count because we were never interested in him enough to offer. As for the rest, 23 is right. We are & have been recruiting dual QBs for a while. 5 of the last 6 QBs we have signed or are committed are dual QBs. That includes Queen who is listed by 247 as Pro style. He ran for over 1000 yards his last healthy high school full season though. Any QB that does that in 1 of the toughest regions in Georgia is a dual QB in my book. Further,  the year we got Sean, 2014, he was at best 3rd behind dual QBs Watson & Brandon Harris. No slight at all to Sean. Just pointing out Gus has gone heavy on dual QBs. JJ & Sean are the only true pocket guys we have signed or committed under Gus. I know JJ can run but he does not like to so that's why I say he's a pocket guy.

52 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I hope God places a door for Jeremy to get redshirted so he can transfer and do something with his last year

He doesn't want to. He's an Auburn man through & through & is & was sticking around even if he didn't win QB1.

55 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

5.0 is straight line 40 speed. Like E said though he does have quickness. He is not gonna be able to run away from any defensive backs but he can get some yards running the football for us. Defense are not going to have a game plan against his running though. 

That can still benefit us if they don't game plan it.  He will just keep it more.  Gus has definitely been known to stick with plays that are working.  If Sean is getting 6-8 yards a carry,  the defense will start to adjust mid game which plays right into Gus's hands to adjust to the deeper routes and play action. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

This is understood.  But that doesn't change anything.  Sean will keep it on the read more than he did last year and more that any running Chris Todd did in '09.

It will change everything if he gets injured again.

Of course he will keep it more than Todd.

I still highly disagree White running the Zone Read is sound strategy. The risk/reward ratio is slam dunked up against risk because there is no reward with him running it.

If I'm a DC playing White, I'm begging him to run it because it isn't his strong suit.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I agree Sean should be running more designed QB draws and play actions than zone reads. We need him healthy for the whole season. 

100% agreed. You go with your QB's strong suit. White's is being a classic pocket passer.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

In a primarily QB read offense, this would be the case. However, I am hoping CGM schemes to SW pros. He is a great intermediate passer. He looks very polished. There seems to be no point in getting him hurt when we have adequate offensive weapons, who can take on the role of carrying the ball via misdirections.

Thing is... Will the misdirection work without a viable running threat from the QB? I'm happy as a lark for Sean. Personally I wanted Jeremy to start, but it is what it is. I am not saying you are incorrect, I'm just asking.

58 minutes ago, douggwilliams said:

It's pretty simple.  It is on our O line now.  If we give SW time, he is going to pick teams apart.  If not, bad things.

I agree. I'm still not sold on Leff unless he has made considerable improvement. Am I the only one who saw him get WORKED last year?

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Of course, like I've said as a caveat....unless Sean is sitting back there picking defenses apart in the passing game.  If he's doing that, they'll back off on the runs because they don't need them.

He isn't a threat to a defense to run the Zone Read because he isn't built for it.

It will be as productive, net-wise for the season, as the hurry-to-the-LOS-and-run-the-HB-dive.

He may break off a couple of double digit yardage keepers and a handful of 5-yarders, but there will be a bevy of 1-yarders, zero yarders and negative yarders, all taking their toll on a QB not built for the punishment.

If a QB isn't picking apart defenses, a HC typically finds a different strong suit, not a weak one.

8 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

It will change everything if he gets injured again.

Of course he will keep it more than Todd.

I still highly disagree White running the Zone Read is sound strategy. The risk/reward ratio is slam dunked up against risk because there is no reward with him running it.

If I'm a DC playing White, I'm begging him to run it because it isn't his strong suit.

Like I say, it largely depends on how effective the passing game is without it.  They'll take a shot or two at it but if we're effective moving the ball and scoring it'll become more of an occasional thing.  But I'm not yet convinced the offense will be as good as it needs to be without the QB pulling that ball out and popping a 10-15 yarder a few times a game at least.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

If anyone is an attention seeker, it's you.

No, it's you. Any idiot could see there is likely a reason that jf3 got so many snaps here despite never showing he was capable of being a starting qb at three different schools, so far. Word is if he could hit the broad side of a barn door he might be a prototype gus qb. 

Au23 is far from the only person with connections to the staff who says the coaches wanted him to be the guy. Rhett told him so while recruiting him and the opportunity he has been given reflects that. 

Yet, there is always a handful of butthurt morons on here who feel the need to attack established insiders due to some sort of sick envy or some dysfuncton spinning in their heads.Most people who have been on these boards a while cringe each time a douche bag attacks an insider. That's the price you pay on a free board though, no shortage of idiots. You think you're cool and making some solid point, most others see you as a complete childish nuisance. 

One request for you, can you change your avatar? It is far too bad ass and frightening! Lol. 

With all that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if jf3 starts at some point this year due to injury or some other reason. 

2 hours ago, 75 Walk On said:

Anyone go back and watch Elite 11 that Sean White won and read what Dilfer had to say?  More importantly do you know who he beat out in the competition?

Deshaun Watson Clemson QB

Jeremy Johnson shredded Arkansas for 30 minutes 2 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thing is... Will the misdirection work without a viable running threat from the QB? I'm happy as a lark for Sean. Personally I wanted Jeremy to start, but it is what it is. I am not saying you are incorrect, I'm just asking.

I agree. I'm still not sold on Leff unless he has made considerable improvement. Am I the only one who saw him get WORKED last year?

It worked with Chris Todd in 2009. We rarely did any QB read and was very successful running the ball due to the fact that we actually utilized our athletes.

Archived