Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

Well, that would make him NM then. NM ran a 4.54 40 at the NFL combine. Of course, straight line speed without pads is quite a bit different than agility. However, I digress.

Wouldn't expect any different

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

2009 was 7 years ago and defenses have adjusted.  Unless the QB is an assassin passing the ball, the zone read is going to have to be part of this offense.  

But yet it wasn't in 2009. And was very successful without it.

In fact, very few, if any, teams ran the Zone Read in 2009. Pat White was no longer at West Virginia, so even they weren't running it with Jarrett Brown. So defenses have adjusted more to the Zone Read currently vs. 2009.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

It's a hand-timed 4.6, so you can tack on a tenth or two for a laser timed run.

Took the words out of my mouth. When you have guys clocking 4.18 you can assume it's not extremely accurate. I could see him in the 4.6-4.7 range. 

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

But yet it wasn't in 2009. And was very successful without it.

Hence, the first sentence:  That was seven years ago and defenses have adjusted.

In fact, very few, if any, teams ran the Zone Read in 2009. Pat White was no longer at West Virginia, so even they weren't running it with Jarrett Brown. So defenses have adjusted more to the Zone Read currently vs. 2009.

You're misunderstanding the point.  Defenses adjusted to Gus's offense where the running was all done by the RBs and WRs on jet sweeps while the QB was a pocket passer.  The QB needs to be a run threat now in this offense.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And what I'm telling you is, unless Sean is just killing it with the passing game, he's going to run more.  We aren't going to run him less than twice a game.

Then the risk of injury climbs, esp if there are more Zone Reads than QB Draws.

7 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/live-blog-gus-malzahn-addresses-media-as-opener-nears

scroll to the bottom. I've also heard this from a couple of different people that are not related in any way . I would not be surprised by this at all. Just watch the state game when he broke a long run and actually ran away from a couple of LBs before running out of bounds.

Im also faster when big strong people are chasing me. 

Then the risk of injury climbs, esp if there are more Zone Reads than QB Draws.

This is understood.  But that doesn't change anything.  Sean will keep it on the read more than he did last year and more that any running Chris Todd did in '09.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

The QB needs to be a run threat now in this offense.

No, it does in the limited amount of plays he ran with Marshall, but not in this offense.

Of course, like I've said as a caveat....unless Sean is sitting back there picking defenses apart in the passing game.  If he's doing that, they'll back off on the runs because they don't need them.

2 minutes ago, Piketiger1990 said:

Took the words out of my mouth. When you have guys clocking 4.18 you can assume it's not extremely accurate. I could see him in the 4.6-4.7 range. 

This would be pretty obvious, right? I am thinking 4.8 range.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Maybe.....maybe not.

SW being named the starter is not a surprise at all. This was expected. I really hope he lights it up. I don't think you will see him run the ball that much.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

No, it does in the limited amount of plays he ran with Marshall, but not in this offense.

Tell our coaches that because our current recruiting strategy is getting DT qbs. 

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

The fact still remains the coaches feel JF3 is better for the offense......

10 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

JF3 will play and imo will be gradually moved into the starter.

Therefore, the "Maybe...maybe not". 

14 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

I was just making a joke. It is actually frustrating, though. Every dang time he is like a half step in front of me. Sometimes, I just want to reach out and pull back on his jersey a little and win at leat one time. 

I wasn't referencing you at all.  Just overall chatter and opinions .  I know no more than anyone else but enjoy sharing ?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

This would be pretty obvious, right? I am thinking 4.8 range.

5.0. He is not anywhere near a 4.6 that I have seen stated in this thread.

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Im also faster when big strong people are chasing me. 

Had a Great Dane chase me when I was 7. Bet I ran a 4.4

Any truth to the rumors that Gus was at Waffle House enjoying a delicious pecan waffle when he noticed the initials SW being formed by the syrup?  It was then that he knew it was Sean!

Just now, austudnt23 said:

Tell our coaches that because our current recruiting strategy is getting DT qbs. 

Our current recruiting strategy is getting good QB's.  We hope to get Stidham, who can sling it better than anyone on our current roster IMO, and we tried to get Davis Webb out of Texas Tech...who is a Pro Style QB.

After the offense we ran with Nick Marshall, it is decidedly much more difficult to recruit a pocket passer.  If we have success with SW, then maybe that would change.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Hence, the first sentence:  That was seven years ago and defenses have adjusted.

You're misunderstanding the point.  Defenses adjusted to Gus's offense where the running was all done by the RBs and WRs on jet sweeps while the QB was a pocket passer.  The QB needs to be a run threat now in this offense.

In a primarily QB read offense, this would be the case. However, I am hoping CGM schemes to SW pros. He is a great intermediate passer. He looks very polished. There seems to be no point in getting him hurt when we have adequate offensive weapons, who can take on the role of carrying the ball via misdirections.

24 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

You still don't know who the coaches wanted to win the job, but you still claim to. 

Give it a rest 23 said all along SW would probably start. 

Just now, thaitopher said:

Give it a rest 23 said all along SW would probably start. 

So did a lot of us. Though most of us didn't claim they "know what the coaches want". Offering opinions are a little different than claiming fact. 

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

5.0. He is not anywhere near a 4.6 that I have seen stated in this thread.

He looked a bit faster than 5.0 on this run:

Archived