Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

The problem with hiring a Herman type up and comer, is that he will be a yes man. We need someone that would say, "I'm not coming unless you guys stay out of my way and let me run this program."

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Trump_2016 said:

I'll take it vs what we're looking at now. This year we're lucky to make the bham bowl again. And Petrino would be awesome here. I said it years ago, but WINS FORGIVE SINS.

And right now Petrino could be banging the whoever he wants to at UL as long as he avoids motorcycles! 

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Oh i get that beyond just the cheating part why many AU fans don't want him. Which is why i'm surprised that with some..they don't want Petrino but would be ok with Briles? I get that Briles didn't commit the bad act but i still have questions about him regarding that situation. 

I feel mixed on Briles in part because it is still not clear what actually happened. If Briles really intentionally turned a blind eye to multiple sexual assaults, we should not hire him either. If it was just a situation where he had limited information or was just overly trusting of the players'stories, I think the question is more about whether or not he's learned from his mistakes.

Honestly, I think we should stay away from him because we don't know what really happened.

The Petrino ship has sailed. Whether we should or should not have hired him is irrelevant. There is something inherently wrong in our program that seems to prevent long term success for any coach.  Auburn has the tradition, the money, the facilities, the supoort etc to win no less than 9 in a down year and compete for titles more seasons than not.  Someone should be asking WHY we have to keep going through this over and over and what will bring REAL change?

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

So you think there's no need to have leaders on campus to set a good example? 

These coaches are hired guns. They aren't coaching and teaching home ec.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Lowder could have completely wrecked Auburn over the Bowden "indiscretion", far more than what Arky would have received over Petrino.

AFAIK she wasn't employed or a minor. Just well connected.

1 minute ago, MichAU12 said:

I feel mixed on Briles in part because it is still not clear what actually happened. If Briles really intentionally turned a blind eye to multiple sexual assaults, we should not hire him either. If it was just a situation where he had limited information or was just overly trusting of the players'stories, I think the question is more about whether or not he's learned from his mistakes.

Honestly, I think we should stay away from him because we don't know what really happened.

Agree 100%! That's the exact reason why i think we stay away from him. I think that's why a lot of larger programs will do until more information comes out to make them feel better about pursuing him and give the fan base a good indication it will not happen at their school. For me...that's what i'd need in order to pursue Briles. 

Interesting thread. And I thought the "Is Sean a good QB?" debate was going to be the biggest civil war we ever had; the "should we hire scum or stick to saints?" debate looks like it might put it to shame. I personally don't want Pertrino, not because of his mistakes, but because he supposedly had a habit of neglecting the defensive side of the ball and puts all the good players on offense. No thanks; We're just now enjoying a decent defense. 

As for Gus, I may be a huge Auburn fan, but I honestly don't know how many more Gus games I can watch. It's embarrassing and shameful. We might need a new talent evacuater also

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

The Petrino ship has sailed. Whether we should or should not have hired him is irrelevant. There is something inherently wrong in our program that seems to prevent long term success for any coach.  Auburn has the tradition, the money, the facilities, the supoort etc to win no less than 9 in a down year and compete for titles more seasons than not.  Someone should be asking WHY we have to keep going through this over and over and what will bring REAL change?

It all screams clean house IMO. Gogue is leaving so why not show the door to others and they can have one big party. But i doubt that happens. Who else besides Jacobs has responsibility in regards to the direction of our program and are we likely to see a change with them being let go as well would be some questions i start with. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

It all screams clean house IMO. Gogue is leaving so why not show the door to others and they can have one big party. But i doubt that happens. Who else besides Jacobs has responsibility in regards to the direction of our program and are we likely to see a change with them being let go as well would be some questions i start with. 

My hope is for a new prez who cares about Academics AND winning and goes against the good ol boy system. Freakin Louisville and Ole Miss have better athletic programs than Auburn right now. I know we make money which gives jacobs some leeway but empty seats at Jordan Hare for an SEC home opener has to count for something. House cleaning is what we need for sure.

23 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

The creed is a cool thing to set out for all to see at Sunday brunch, but to say that AU is all about morals and values would be saying that there isn't rampant drunkenness and sexual debauchery happening all over the campus. Come on guys.

Have to disagree. Can't speak for the general campus population...that's more a reflection of free choice meets "home training", and it always has been, good and bad.  However, campus ministries thrive at Auburn, changing lives and righting a heap of injustices worldwide. As for the football program, we have no idea of the lengths the coaching staff have gone to in trying to take the higher road with these student athletes, coming from a wide variety  of backgrounds. I can't respect Brother Chette Williams enough for his transparency and work with the guys for nearly three decades. I'm not saying that the current situation, HC-wise, needs to continue, but as long as the program is committed to addressing and growing the athletes in Creed-like style, then we as fans, even if we choose to live by a different creed, need to respect it. The obstacles Auburn faces don't surprise me a bit...in my world it's called spiritual backlash, and it's real. It would be exponentially worse without any semblance of at least part of the population making attempts to live Creed-like. Auburn's not perfect, but Auburn DOES seek to be different. And so, if a new coach does end up being sought, character and skill do not have to be mutually exclusive and likely will not be.

The only coaches I see who could come here and be successful, who are realistic, are Briles, Petrino, and Herman. Who else would we even choose from?!

14 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

The problem with hiring a Herman type up and comer, is that he will be a yes man. We need someone that would say, "I'm not coming unless you guys stay out of my way and let me run this program."

YESSSS! YESSSS! Get the frick out of my way! I swear i'm so fricked when it comes to my football teams. Have the same thing going on with my Dallas Cowboys. Geesh! Another drunken year in football. One thing about Briles...i certainly wouldn't see him as a yes man. If we do have to hire another HC..all i see us getting is an up and coming assistant. But i'd welcome to be proved wrong. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

The only coaches I see who could come here and be successful, who are realistic, are Briles, Petrino, and Herman. Who else would we even choose from?!

Don't know but Auburn IS NOT hiring Briles or Petrino and Herman isn't coming. Better lower your expectations.

YESSSS! YESSSS! Get the frick out of my way! I swear i'm so fricked when it comes to my football teams. Have the same thing going on with my Dallas Cowboys. Geesh! Another drunken year in football. One thing about Briles...i certainly wouldn't see him as a yes man. If we do have to hire another HC..all i see us getting is an up and coming assistant. But i'd welcome to be proved wrong. 

Oh bless your heart I'm also a Cowboys fan. Rough season it appears for us all around.

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

Have to disagree. Can't speak for the general campus population...that's more a reflection of free choice meets "home training", and it always has been, good and bad.  However, campus ministries thrive at Auburn, changing lives and righting a heap of injustices worldwide. As for the football program, we have no idea of the lengths the coaching staff have gone to in trying to take the higher road with these student athletes, coming from a wide variety  of backgrounds. I can't respect Brother Chette Williams enough for his transparency and work with the guys for nearly three decades. I'm not saying that what the current situation, HC-wise, needs to continue, but as long as the program is committed to addressing and growing the athletes in Creed-like style, then we as fans, even if we choose to live by a different creed, need to respect it. The obstacles Auburn faces don't surprise me a bit...in my world it's called spiritual backlash, and it's real. It would be exponentially worse without any semblance of at least part of thw population making attempts to live Creed-like. Auburn's not perfect, but Auburn DOES seek to be different. And so, if a new coach does end up being sought, character and skill do not have to be mutually exclusive and likely will not be.

This is about more than religion. It's about running a respectful, moral program. Our coaches have a responsibility to try to help mentor these players into good people. Regardless of the belief system of our players, our coaches should be examples for how to behave as good citizens. Pre madonnas like Petrino teach players to throw temper tantrums until the get what they want, and that people can be above rules/regulations. Such coaches also reflect poorly on the university as a whole, subsequently affecting who (outside athletics) chooses to attend Auburn.

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Don't know but Auburn IS NOT hiring Briles or Petrino and Herman isn't coming. Better lower your expectations.

Agreed, couldn't see us landing one of those guys either.

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Oh bless your heart I'm also a Cowboys fan. Rough season it appears for us all around.

Yes sir it is! We handcuffed Dak last week IMO. I already knew our defense sucks. They start using Dak the right way at least i'll have some exciting offense to watch this year. But it all sucks...esp. what's going on with our Tigers. 

20 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

What makes you think that Herman is going to be a "yes man"? The guy is going to be the most sought after coach on the market, he comes out of Urban Meyer's coaching tree, and he can basically name his landing spot.  If he doesn't get what he wants, he'll just stay at Houston.

1 minute ago, Never2Yield said:

Agreed, couldn't see us landing one of those guys either.

+2. So my question would be what are some other names? These have been the only names i've seen or heard thus far. 

+2. So my question would be what are some other names? These have been the only names i've seen or heard thus far. 

Therein lies the problem. Every name I think of probably won't come without some major changes. I like David Shaw but doubt he would leave Stanford. I've always thought Gary Patterson would be a good fit for AU but he would want more control than the boys are willin to give. So we're back to whatever unproven coordinator we can find and hope we catch lightning in a bottle.

Every saying we need to clean house and get rid of the good ol boy system, who do you think is going to make those changes and then hire new people to fill their spots?

all these people that need to be cleaned out are the ones who are going to make the decision on the new present and would be the ones making a decision on the new AD and putting together a committee to get a new coach. 

Its not going to change until someone who has a lot of money, power and influence is ready to see us start winning, I guess. I don't know how all of the higher up stuff like this goes on universities but I do agree that it's beyond past due to get rid of the yes men coaches and have someone hired who can really take over. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Therein lies the problem. Every name I think of probably won't come without some major changes. I like David Shaw but doubt he would leave Stanford. I've always thought Gary Patterson would be a good fit for AU but he would want more control than the boys are willin to give. So we're back to whatever unproven coordinator we can find and hope we catch lightning in a bottle.

Basically. Which may result in us having to keep Gus one more year just to get a better hire. Gus would probably then put all his hopes in Woddy and the new mobile QB era and we'd have live through more horrible play calling and hoping Woddy makes magic happen like Cam or Nick.

Basically. Which may result in us having to keep Gus one more year just to get a better hire. Gus would probably then put all his hopes in Woddy and the new mobile QB era and we'd have live through more horrible play calling and hoping Woddy makes magic happen like Cam or Nick.

Unfortunately you are right....sigh...well, maybe the Cowboys can win one tomorrow and take our minds off all this for a couple of hours. I'm gonna go to bed and dream of 2010. Thanks for the discussion.

Archived