Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

If Saban was head coach at AU and he was winning the same at AU as he does in Tuscaloosa how many Auburn fans would be complaining? Better yet, what if Gus' personality was the same as Saban's, and he was winning big and had us in the national championship picture year in and year out. How many of you would be screaming about his demeanor?

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WeagleAU said:

When did Auburn pay a mistress to keep her mouth shut?  Which coach?

I said Auburn would, not that they did. Though Terry Bowden did get a pretty penny...

Just now, milehighfan said:

If Saban was head coach at AU and he was winning the same at AU as he does in Tuscaloosa how many Auburn fans would be complaining? Better yet, what if Gus' personality was the same as Saban's, and he was winning big and had us in the national championship picture year in and year out. How many of you would be screaming about his demeanor?

Don't think he would be nearly as successful at Auburn, wouldn't get the same amount of outside help needed to win - both on and off the field. 

2 minutes ago, selias said:

I said Auburn would, not that they did. Though Terry Bowden did get a pretty penny...

Yeah, I heard about the Bowden rumor, but from my understanding nothing was ever confirmed....sigh, I miss the days of Bowden right now

10 hours ago, selias said:

Luck had nothing to do with it. Arkansas, like Auburn would, paid a mistress to keep her mouth shut. I don't care that Petrino had a piece on the side. I'll give you the point that he'd probably still be at Arky if he owned up and admitted to it. I'd wager good money, he wouldn't make the same mistake.

If she had been vindictive Arky would not be so lucky. It was luck that she had no desire to pursue it and drag Arky through the mud. That was my point that you keep missing. Petrino did not have anything to do with how Arky resolved the situation with that girl. And I doubt he'd still be there because he put his employer in a terrible situation. There's no way Arky would let him stay. You seem to underestimate the trouble he caused. 

3 minutes ago, selias said:

Amazing how AU fans forget about little Terry and his scandal...

Just now, Weegle777 said:

Don't think we forgot, just choose not to bring it up, even when it might be relevant to the discussion. 

This is a pointless argument guys. Auburn isn't hiring Petrino or Briles.  Gus is done, it's only a matter of when.  As far as a new coach, what proven guy wants to come here and deal with Jacobs and the good ol boy system?  There is a reason our coaches since Dye have been Baby Bowden, Tubs, Chiz and Gus.  You notice there are no Sabans, Myers or Harbaughs in that group....

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

If she had been vindictive Arky would not be so lucky. It was luck that she had no desire to pursue it and drag Arky through the mud. That was my point that you keep missing. Petrino did not have anything to do with how Arky resolved the situation with that girl. And I doubt he'd still be there because he put his employer in a terrible situation. There's no way Arky would let him stay. You seem to underestimate the trouble he caused. 

Money will keep most anyone quiet. It's just a matter of how much. The real problem with Petrino really wasn't the mistress, it was the less than truthful statements to the state police. I don't care for that part of his history, but he's doesn't seem to be the kind of person to repeat the same mistake. If he should get caught with a mistress in Louisville, I'm sure he'd take the time honored tradition of saying he messed up and begging forgiveness

4 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

This is a pointless argument guys. Auburn isn't hiring Petrino or Briles.  Gus is done, it's o ly a matter of when.  As far as a new coach, what proven guy wants to come here and deal with Jacobs and the good ol boy system?  There is a reason our coaches since Dye have been Baby Bowden, Tubs, Chiz and Gus.  You notice there are no Sabans, Myers or Harbaughs in that group....

Agreed. We need a complete purge. Send Dye off to sell his Japanese Maples and the rest of his boys club can go pound sand and talk about the old days.

1 minute ago, Weegle777 said:

Why on earth would AU want another coach with a proven tendency to make stupid and dangerous choices? Why would you think anybody forgot? That's just one more reason to stay away from Bobby P. No need to go down that road again.

43 minutes ago, selias said:

Again, you overestimate my concern over an extramarital affair in someone's life.  Would I cheat on my wife? No. I also don't expect others to live their lives in regards to how I feel they live theirs.

Petrino just got caught. There is no way i believe there are not other HC's out there who are not faithful to their wife. They just hide it better. I get this is not the example and representation a school would like for their football program. I wouldn't have a huge issue with the hire. I just don't see how it would happen as i think a majority of the fan base would feel this way. I love what AU stands for regarding morals and values but the same time i'm not naive to believe that we're free from sin when it comes to athletics either. 

10 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Why on earth would AU want another coach with a proven tendency to make stupid and dangerous choices? Why would you think anybody forgot? That's just one more reason to stay away from Bobby P. No need to go down that road again.

Well Bobby P, wasn't ****** a relative of a trustee...

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Petrino just got caught. There is no way i believe there are not other HC's out there who are not faithful to their wife. They just hide it better. I get this is not the example and representation a school would like for their football program. I wouldn't have a huge issue with the hire. I just don't see how it would happen as i think a majority of the fan base would feel this way. I love what AU stands for regarding morals and values but the same time i'm not naive to believe that we're free from sin when it comes to athletics either. 

I think the anti-Petrino sentiment is about more than just the affair. Petrino's demeanor is just not... Auburn-like. He comes off as a whiny jerk who throws temper tantrums on the sideline when he doesn't get his way.

The creed is a cool thing to set out for all to see at Sunday brunch, but to say that AU is all about morals and values would be saying that there isn't rampant drunkenness and sexual debauchery happening all over the campus. Come on guys.

While I wouldn't say I'm opposed to Auburn perusing him under the right circumstances, Louisville is the perfect school for Bobby P. I mean the same school that employs "15 Seconds" Rick Pitino. It's kind of fitting.

Just now, Weegle777 said:

The creed is a cool thing to set out for all to see at Sunday brunch, but to say that AU is all about morals and values would be saying that there isn't rampant drunkenness and sexual debauchery happening all over the campus. Come on guys.

As someone who was a rampant drunk and participated in sexual debauchery at Auburn...never mind, I forgot what my point was except I like booze and women :)

Just now, MichAU12 said:

I think the anti-Petrino sentiment is about more than just the affair. Petrino's demeanor is just not... Auburn-like. He comes off as a whiny jerk who throws temper tantrums on the sideline when he doesn't get his way.

Oh i get that beyond just the cheating part why many AU fans don't want him. Which is why i'm surprised that with some..they don't want Petrino but would be ok with Briles? I get that Briles didn't commit the bad act but i still have questions about him regarding that situation. 

Wow everyone wants the flash in the pan coach Im still for the coach the one that wins no matter where he is Im for Petrino.  Worst mistake Auburn made was not taking a chance on him.  Oh Yeah I get it he wasnt an Auburn man.  Fire up the jet got get a no name coach from Houston that will solve the problem SMH.

1 minute ago, Weegle777 said:

No one is saying that stuff doesn't happen, but we expect our coach to reflect well on the school. 

Just now, Trump_2016 said:

Even if he had half of the success at bama, we'd be looking at 2 or 3 championships...

I think at best, no better than the one NC and two SEC titles we currently have.  But maybe, I'm wrong. :dunno:

10 hours ago, selias said:

Well Bobby P, wasn't ****** a relative of a trustee...

No it was mch worse from a legal standpoint. Petrino hired his mistress....so she was an employee.

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

No it was mch worse from a legal standpoint. Petrino hired his mistress....so she was an employee.

Lowder could have completely wrecked Auburn over the Bowden "indiscretion", far more than what Arky would have received over Petrino.

5 minutes ago, Weegle777 said:

So you think there's no need to have leaders on campus to set a good example? 

Archived