Lashlee

tomcat

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Rhett has been paid  half a million a year or more since 2013 only because he had the title as OC and QB coach at AU.  This season, since Gus has publically said he is turning over the OC reigns to Lashlee, we can assume that Rhett is finally earning his pay check.  That means Rhett basically stole money from AU from the time he was hired in 2012 until before the 2016 LSU game based on his job description and what he was getting paid to do.  

good grief. see? if what you said is true it still does not mean he stole anything. at worst you could say it was given to him. you do not know just exactly what he did. he might have been used to see how best the gus bus "o" could attack a certain defense. there are a million things he could do but you choose to paint him as a thief. sorry but i respectfully disagree..............

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I've been told by people inside the AD thst if Gus doesn't bring in a new OC/QB coach, Gus' time at Auburn is getting short.

Now now a4e we know better and I see what your doing. You need to stop this one or I will stop it for you. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I've been told by people inside the AD thst if Gus doesn't bring in a new OC/QB coach, Gus' time at Auburn is getting short.

Since when did you get a source in the AD? :ucrazy:

You folks are old enough I hope to understand that the title of OC or DC still doesn't put you above HC. So if you want to keep your job you do what the boss says. If you think for a moment that Saban doesn't make decisions about the offense over LK's head then you don't watch much football. The OC's main job is to take care of meetings and run the offense per the HC's instructions. So Rhett has done his job well. Now a HC 's job is to put coaches around him that he has trust to do what he tells them. I doubt seriously you could fine someone that Gus has more faith in than Rhett. So no Rhett owes nothing back. He has earned his money per Gus's wishes (not the fans). Understand also that Gus still designs and sanctions all the offensive plays. The only thing that has changed is Rhett is in charge of game day decisions as far as what to call and when.  I think that he has shown that he is a trustworthy coach and  has a good sense of how to keep the rhythm.May have been Gus's interjection was what was slowing things down and causing confusion. Anyway it is working now so all is good. WDE

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Rhett has been paid  half a million a year or more since 2013 only because he had the title as OC and QB coach at AU.  This season, since Gus has publically said he is turning over the OC reigns to Lashlee, we can assume that Rhett is finally earning his pay check.  That means Rhett basically stole money from AU from the time he was hired in 2012 until before the 2016 LSU game based on his job description and what he was getting paid to do.  

No actually it doesn't, but way to trip over ridiculously hyperbolic statements.  "Stole?"  He did what his boss told him to do.  It's called "doing your fricking job."

Just now, ausoldiergrad said:

No actually it doesn't, but way to trip over ridiculously hyperbolic statements.  "Stole?"  He did what his boss told him to do.  It's called "doing your fricking job."

OK, Rhett did what his boss told him to do while being paid for a position he did not do.  That is on Gus then, so Gus has enabled Rhett to not earn his pay since Rhett was hired as OC/QB coach.    

wde

40 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

OK, Rhett did what his boss told him to do while being paid for a position he did not do.  That is on Gus then, so Gus has enabled Rhett to not earn his pay since Rhett was hired as OC/QB coach.    

wde

Ok, I'll bite...should they not have had a title of OC, and I'm relatively certain Rhett does coach the QBs...sooo...wtf are you trying to prove?!  You head is clearly planted firmly in your third point of contact, and unfortunately the moderation of this board won't allow me to eviscerate your stupidity in full on blow out mode all AU-ARK, but you are just a clown.

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why are you trolling?  If you can't backup this kind of accusation with facts, your point has no real value.

Besides, even if this was true, what are you trying to accomplish here?

Take this kind of garbage statement to where it belongs: al.com

8 hours ago, ausoldiergrad said:

ausoldier, here's a way to look at it (and I am with you here).  As a soldier, have you ever decided to do something against your CO's wishes?  if you had, what would have been the ramifications of doing this? Based on my time in the Army, my first line of thinking would be article 15, dishonorable discharge, or even time in the brig.  As a result of these options, I always to chose to do what my CO told me to do, whether I agreed with it or not.  Fortunately, in my case, I never had a commanding officer that demanded I carried out orders that were illegal or unethical.  my guess is that Rhett is basically a good soldier following orders as well.

8 hours ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Ok, I'll bite...should they not have had a title of OC, and I'm relatively certain Rhett does coach the QBs...sooo...wtf are you trying to prove?!  You head is clearly planted firmly in your third point of contact, and unfortunately the moderation of this board won't allow me to eviscerate your stupidity in full on blow out mode all AU-ARK, but you are just a clown.

LOL, you are an angry one.  Please attempt to eviserate me more.  I know the Mods will allow it via PM.  

wde

36 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL, you are an angry one.  Please attempt to eviserate me more.  I know the Mods will allow it via PM.  

wde

Via pm...go for it. But NOT here...

35 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Via pm...go for it. But NOT here...

I agree.  That is why I suggested it.

Seems like when we hired Gus, he & Rhett were an assumed teacher/student combo and it was also (or should have been) assumed both were still learning on the job - Gus as a head coach and Lashlee at almost everything. Anybody that has assisted at anything at any level knows one of the frustrating things is you do not totally control outcomes. Now Rhett is apparently The Man and his understudying & our patience may be finally paying off. We'll see, lots of football still to played this season but if this board is an AU fan bellwether, he is one bad set of O stats away from being a scoundrel again.

13 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I'm guessing your manager lets you go over payroll and lets you decide who is earning their paycheck and who's not.  You seem like one with sound judgement and a grasp on things that matter. :poke:

39 minutes ago, hikerdns said:

I'm guessing your manager lets you go over payroll and lets you decide who is earning their paycheck and who's not.  You seem like one with sound judgement and a grasp on things that matter. :poke:

I don't have a manager.  I am a manager/VP at my environmental consulting firm.  I do get to decide who is earning their paycheck.  I am also responsible for hiring.  So, it is on me when or if an employee does not work out.   I would never hire a family member or good friend just because.  I certainly would never let someone stay on staff for 3 years before they were actually productive.

wde

Again this change in offense has more to do with Herb Hand.  It would be a surprise if Rhett is on the staff next year to many folks.  He is auditioning for a low-mid level head job the rest of the season, I hope he gets one.

This is just my observation, so take it for what it is worth.  The relationship between Gus and Rhett is almost like a father/son relationship. They have been together in one form or another since high school, save one year at Samford for Rhett.  The relationship worked really, really well for the first season and a half and the offense clicked.  The next season and a half, the offense struggled for whatever reason, but their relationship seemed to be the same of teacher/student or father/son.

There is always a catalyst for change and it appears the catalyst happened this year after the Texas A&M game.  During the Spring and Summer/Fall camps it seemed Rhett was the dutiful soldier (as someone above mentioned) and agreed with Gus that no one QB distanced himself in the QB race.  Even being the dutiful soldier when the 3 QB rotation was implimented (when genius goes unchecked watch out).  I agree that during the "heat of the battle" you should not descent, after all you have just 35 seconds to change personnel and get a play called, but after the battle is when change occurs. Gus was very defiant during his press conference after the Clemson game, but backed off during the week.

I'm hoping that Rhett felt empowered enough to suggest to Gus something had to change and we saw that change during the LSU game.  Rhett has had great success following that game and the dynamics of their relationship is changing, which is a good thing.  Gus has been dragged into the CEO position, kicking a screaming all the way, but this is where he needs to be.  If things go well the rest of the season, the off season is where we might see some changes.

If Rhett decides to be a HC somewhere (its totally up to him at this point), Gus is in a position mentally to find another OC/QB coach and let him be exactly that, a stand alone OC.  It would be a win/win for Auburn IMO.

If Rhett decides to stay because of the talent that is coming back etc., I'm sure he has earned that right considering his performance the last few games.  Please have the team ready to play the first game of the season and not wait for the 3rd or 4th game, pleeeease.

I'm a lot more optimistic, now that I have witnessed change, than I was after the Texas A&M game.

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know

Rhett finally snatched the pebbles from Gus' hand.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the current success of our team ends up being part of a continuation of the long game to landing Rhett a head coaching position that I think started in 2014. Gus has not been shy about touting him as a head coaching candidate and many have said that Kendall Briles is hanging out in the wings as a potential replacement.  I would not be at all surprised to see Arkansas State drop a few more games, this year, and subsequently drop their head coach. If that happens, I would be even less surprised to read that Rhett takes that position.

I still take the position that our success is less about a revolution in play calling and more about a better O-Line combination and certain players having the light come on. There have been a few nice changes in the calls, but I still believe Briles would be an upgrade. 

I think Gus was touting Rhett as early as 2014, but his resume was not impressive until this year.  I think it will be a win/win for Auburn if Rhett gets a HC position at the end of this year.  The improvement in the OL is remarkable, so is the play calling from game one until now.

On a different subject, I noticed Bama tried to pull a guard to block #15 on Texas A&M.  It didn't work either, they only tried it once that I saw.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the current success of our team ends up being part of a continuation of the long game to landing Rhett a head coaching position that I think started in 2014. Gus has not been shy about touting him as a head coaching candidate and many have said that Kendall Briles is hanging out in the wings as a potential replacement.  I would not be at all surprised to see Arkansas State drop a few more games, this year, and subsequently drop their head coach. If that happens, I would be even less surprised to read that Rhett takes that position.

I still take the position that our success is less about a revolution in play calling and more about a better O-Line combination and certain players having the light come on. There have been a few nice changes in the calls, but I still believe Briles would be an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

On a different subject, I noticed Bama tried to pull a guard to block #15 on Texas A&M.  It didn't work either, they only tried it once that I saw.

Someone didn't do enough game film research, apparently.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The biggest change I've noticed going from the Gus/Rhett combo to the Rhett/Herb combo is the propensity to break trends. I'm not sure if they're doing a better job of self-scouting or just a different mindset. Either way, I like it this year and look forward to KB coming in next year.

1 minute ago, selias said:

The biggest change I've noticed going from the Gus/Rhett combo to the Rhett/Herb combo is the propensity to break trends. I'm not sure if they're doing a better job of self-scouting or just a different mindset. Either way, I like it this year and look forward to KB coming in next year.

Having Hand upstairs is an advantage for our offense. 

Archived