2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

The high school kid this year has apparently exceeded expectations and is better than originally thought. The guy who may be behind him is a legacy and it screams that if JG makes a couple mistakes at the worse time it could be a JJ/SW situation all over again

That's true, but I would hate for him to run from the competition...not that I think he will.  

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The high school kid this year has apparently exceeded expectations and is better than originally thought. The guy who may be behind him is a legacy and it screams that if JG makes a couple mistakes at the worse time it could be a JJ/SW situation all over again

Cole, I understand what you're saying in general, but I don't remotely compare JG to JJ. If JG were to struggle to the point he is passed up by Nix, I would think JG would transition well into another position with his athleticism.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Cole, I understand what you're saying in general, but I don't remotely compare JG to JJ. If JG were to struggle to the point he is passed up by Nix, I would think JG would transition well into another position with his athleticism.

They said the same about jj when he was in high school as well, and it doesn't matter where everybody else wants him to play, it just matter what HE wants to play

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I mean he's very confident so I don't see it either, I'd just hate to be sandwiched between two all world guys, I'd like to be somewhere if Imake a mistake it's everybody's best interest to let me play through it

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

They said the same about jj when he was in high school as well, and it doesn't matter where everybody else wants him to play, it just matter what HE wants to play

Not disputing you that people said that about JJ, I simply don't remember him being considered as athletic as we've heard about JG. And you're absolutely right, if he is set on playing QB it won't matter how good of a TE or safety or whatever he could be. 

2 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Not disputing you that people said that about JJ, I simply don't remember him being considered as athletic as we've heard about JG. And you're absolutely right, if he is set on playing QB it won't matter how good of a TE or safety or whatever he could be. 

No I can't say I know if they said he was AS athletic as JG but they said he was athletic. Usually when guys are still young they will be adamant about staying at their position, by that junior or senior year they start listening and they try to play anywhere they may be able to play in the NFL

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

No I can't say I know if they said he was AS athletic as JG but they said he was athletic. Usually when guys are still young they will be adamant about staying at their position, by that junior or senior year they start listening and they try to play anywhere they may be able to play in the NFL

Fair enough. Let's hope he sticks with the good guys and makes all SEC whichever position he may play! WDE.

JJ still to this day is staying at qb with his dream and hasn't given up yet! I think JG would be willing to change positions and still have an NFL shot if he gets beat out at qb.

All of this hand wringing over Joey G is a moot point if Bo Nix comes to AU. He is the real deal and a stud and will be easily the best high school qb we have got in a long time. I have full confidence he will be a good SEC qb. He is the total package.

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

All of this hand wringing over Joey G is a moot point if Bo Nix comes to AU. He is the real deal and a stud and will be easily the best high school qb we have got in a long time. I have full confidence he will be a good SEC qb. He is the total package.

With all that said Joey has a world of potential at QB. If he puts it together he could make it difficult for BN to be QB1 while they're both on The Plains.

Edited by ellitor

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

That's not how the successful coaches go about this. Get as many of the absolutely best you can get on campus, then let them sort themselves out. Believe it or not, coaches don't put players in the game, the players do that themselves.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's not how the successful coaches go about this. Get as many of the absolutely best you can get on campus, then let them sort themselves out. Believe it or not, coaches don't put players in the game, the players do that themselves.

Yes it is. Gus being a successful coach? Eh. Jury still out on that.  But that is a whole another can of worms so I will leave it at that since you are on the record Gus guy! haha, Don't worry we do not hold it against you!

Edited by GwillMac6

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Similar to Pat Nix and DCraig.   Let's get these guys and see how it will play out

• Like 1

and EAAAAAAAAASY fellas haha. You make 1 comment with it and people run with it and assume you meant something else entirely. I think Joey G is very talented as a QB and can a awesome starting qb for us. I just think Bo Nix has IT and will be special. Not a knock on jpey G at all!

Edited by GwillMac6

14 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Wasn't JJ Mr. Basketball for AL his senior year. He's pretty athletic (maybe not JG athletic).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes it is. Gus being a successful coach? Eh. Jury still out on that.  But that is a whole another can of worms so I will leave it at that since you are on the record Gus guy! haha, Don't worry we do not hold it against you!

Go back and read where I said Gus was in any way involved in my statement. You can't do it. Whether I consider Gus a successful coach or not is beside the point. Here, I'll repeat for you: Successful coaches get as many of the most talented kids they can and then let the players sort it out. Passing on Gatewood because Nix MIGHT come here and MIGHT be successful is nonsense. And yes, you all but support passing on Gatewood, or at least not caring about his recruitment because Nix might be the guy.

Also, quoting you: " You make 1 comment with it and people run with it and assume you meant something else entirely. " Then maybe you should take more time reading the posts of others and also reading your own posts from the perspective of others. You would be confused and mis-understood a lot less frequently.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

and EAAAAAAAAASY fellas haha. You make 1 comment with it and people run with it and assume you meant something else entirely. I think Joey G is very talented as a QB and can a awesome starting qb for us. I just think Bo Nix has IT and will be special. Not a knock on jpey G at all!

IMO. If JG is playing near his potential and starts at QB for us, no one else will be our QB1 while he's on campus, barring injury.

This is still the same JG that we all went crazy about when we saw his high lights for the first time and when he committed to AU. 

He didn't lose any of that potential or ability due to getting competition in his high school QB race. He might have lost some experience but is being pushed by a QB (who might be a better "QB" than joey) to keep getting better. 

I cant watch this kid push 5 different DLmen off of him like it was nothing while he stands in the pocket unfazed before deciding to take off or throw it without thinking of some certain plays from the 2010 season. 

Im not necessarily directing all of this at you, just venting some of my thoughts of JG in addition to replying to you. 

It feels like a lot of fans seem to be less pleased about JG than they were a year ago. I know his stock hasn't really risen but if we get this kid onto campus and turn him into the QB he has the potential to be, oh boy.....

Edited by Charhair
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Wasn't JJ Mr. Basketball for AL his senior year. He's pretty athletic (maybe not JG athletic).

Ok. It's just different types of athleticism. I think most would agree that Shaq was pretty athletic but that doesn't mean he could have played WR or safety at LSU. Tim Hudson probably wouldn't have been a very good small forward, yet he was considered to be athletic and versatile in college baseball. The point I was trying to make was that JG's skill set appears could translate well at several positions. JJ on the other hand wasn't really cut out for another spot on the field. 

18 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Ok. It's just different types of athleticism. I think most would agree that Shaq was pretty athletic but that doesn't mean he could have played WR or safety at LSU. Tim Hudson probably wouldn't have been a very good small forward, yet he was considered to be athletic and versatile in college baseball. The point I was trying to make was that JG's skill set appears could translate well at several positions. JJ on the other hand wasn't really cut out for another spot on the field. 

Fact checked. JJ did not win but was a finalist for Mr. Basketball ( on a team that made it to final 4) and was Mr. Football. He was plenty athletic such that he could have played another position (and , at 6'5" and ~235lbs had enough size). Whether he had the physicality, mindset, or desire are other issues.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Yes, but there aren't any yd. lines to trip over on the Basketball court.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

Yes, but there aren't any yd. lines to trip over on the Basketball court.

I guess Ontario McCaleb should have played basketball then...never seen someone get tackled by grass as much as he did...lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Go back and read where I said Gus was in any way involved in my statement. You can't do it. Whether I consider Gus a successful coach or not is beside the point. Here, I'll repeat for you: Successful coaches get as many of the most talented kids they can and then let the players sort it out. Passing on Gatewood because Nix MIGHT come here and MIGHT be successful is nonsense. And yes, you all but support passing on Gatewood, or at least not caring about his recruitment because Nix might be the guy.

Also, quoting you: " You make 1 comment with it and people run with it and assume you meant something else entirely. " Then maybe you should take more time reading the posts of others and also reading your own posts from the perspective of others. You would be confused and mis-understood a lot less frequently.

When I said all this hand wringing is a moot point if we get Bo that did not imply any of that. I was referring to the people getting all worked up that he may not start full time again this season and the ones who say he might play another position besides QB at AU. People see what they want to see. I can word things a little differently and people will still interpret it the way they want to. Just because I think Bo is special does not mean I think Joey G is going to be some bust. We all want what is the best for AU and if it is Joey G no one is going to be upset because me and others liked BO more as a prospect in high school. We will be thrilled. No one wants their favorites to be the starting QB of the future just because and just to "be right" If any of these kids become stars we are all right and get to enjoy it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charhair said:

IMO. If JG is playing near his potential and starts at QB for us, no one else will be our QB1 while he's on campus, barring injury.

This is still the same JG that we all went crazy about when we saw his high lights for the first time and when he committed to AU. 

He didn't lose any of that potential or ability due to getting competition in his high school QB race. He might have lost some experience but is being pushed by a QB (who might be a better "QB" than joey) to keep getting better. 

I cant watch this kid push 5 different DLmen off of him like it was nothing while he stands in the pocket unfazed before deciding to take off or throw it without thinking of some certain plays from the 2010 season. 

Im not necessarily directing all of this at you, just venting some of my thoughts of JG in addition to replying to you. 

It feels like a lot of fans seem to be less pleased about JG than they were a year ago. I know his stock hasn't really risen but if we get this kid onto campus and turn him into the QB he has the potential to be, oh boy.....

Not less pleased or enthused about JG in the least! He is a beast a freak of nature and a athletic specimen.  I just think BO is going to be THAT good. He has it all when I see his tape. We are in good shape regardless of who wins the QB competition in the future assuming BO comes to AU. KNOCK ON WOOD! haha

4 hours ago, fredst said:

I think it may of been that kid who went to Miss ST who said he did not accept our scholly because he was to much of a bama fan growing up and could not go to Auburn. Bear Wilson

Edited by GwillMac6