2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, we finally have a few capable of do that...IMO

TO...not "of"

Glad Joey Gatewood is committed to us because this QB or not to QB debate has been entertaining 

• Like 2

I love this thread also.  I am not worried about J Gatewood.   I heard from my aunt, he was asked to go to a select kicking camp this summer with Anders Carlson.  Rumor has it Bruce Pearl may visit him also. 

Seriously:

I love how he seems to love Auburn and our family environment.   He will be successful at some level and I predict he will find the field early and often.  

WDE!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 3:18 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Glad Joey Gatewood is committed to us because this QB or not to QB debate has been entertaining 

QB or not QB, that is the question. 

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

QB or not QB, that is the question. 

Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Threads have taken a decidedly intellectual turn when we start quoting Shakespeare at length. Well done?

Just saw a clip about Elite 11.  No analysis, but saw Gatewood throw one.  Anyone know how Joey did in CA this weekend?  Would have been nice to have him at Big Cat, but he got some tutelage I bet. 

51 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Just saw a clip about Elite 11.  No analysis, but saw Gatewood throw one.  Anyone know how Joey did in CA this weekend?  Would have been nice to have him at Big Cat, but he got some tutelage I bet. 

Wasn't in the Top 11 to make the finals next month with time running out. Our top target Justin Fields was #2 though.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

The one review I read about him at the Elite 11 said they were very impressed with his physical presence and overall ability, and basically said he was becoming a solid, but not exceptional passer.  

"Gatewood was better on Friday than I've ever seen him."

They did note that he might not play QB in college.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The one review I read about him at the Elite 11 said they were very impressed with his physical presence and overall ability, and basically said he was becoming a solid, but not exceptional passer.  

"Gatewood was better on Friday than I've ever seen him."

They did note that he might not play QB in college.

When I get time the next day or 2 I will post free stuff I see on JG  & JF at the Elite 11 from this past weekend.

Also the final cut will be announced at 10 AM today.

12 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

So did he make the cut?  Can't see twitter content on my work computer.

No.

The fact that he was invited shows that he has skills to play the position. I think it also shows that he is a raw talent that needs more playing time at QB including a lot of development in his passing game to further enhance his ability to shine. He is big. He can run. He can make plays with his feet. It will be interesting to see what position he plays as a senior in HS. Will he start at QB? If not will he transfer? I think he is an amazing athlete who can play so many positions so AU will want to keep him no matter what position he plays. 

As talented as he is if he has to share the position this year he is going to lack in development badly.

Even in practice if he shares the position he will not get as many reps as he needs to develop.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

As talented as he is if he has to share the position this year he is going to lack in development badly.

Even in practice if he shares the position he will not get as many reps as he needs to develop.

Agree. If he wants to play QB in college for a good Div 1 team, he needs to play QB in HS (full time). The last part time QB we signed did not pan out. Granted that was a totally different scenario but as talented as this kid is he needs to play QB if that is his goal in college. 

53 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The fact that he was invited shows that he has skills to play the position. I think it also shows that he is a raw talent that needs more playing time at QB including a lot of development in his passing game to further enhance his ability to shine. He is big. He can run. He can make plays with his feet. It will be interesting to see what position he plays as a senior in HS. Will he start at QB? If not will he transfer? I think he is an amazing athlete who can play so many positions so AU will want to keep him no matter what position he plays. 

Been thoroughly covered in the thread. Unlikely to transfer due to being a December grad and He & Riley Smith are set to split snaps at QB for Bartram Trail.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Been thoroughly covered in the thread. Unlikely to transfer due to being a December grad and He & Riley Smith are set to split snaps at QB for Bartram Trail.

Thanks E.   I think there will be a lot of excitement on Mondays after someone can report on how Joey plays on Friday nights.  Also where he plays.  It's gonna be fun having him at Auburn.  He is a special athlete. 

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Thanks E.   I think there will be a lot of excitement on Mondays after someone can report on how Joey plays on Friday nights.  Also where he plays.  It's gonna be fun having him at Auburn.  He is a special athlete. 

This right here. I hope he is ready to embrace this if the trajectory of his QB career stays the same by the time he enrolls. Fields to Gatewood connection could do some damage.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, DAG said:

This right here. I hope he is ready to embrace this if the trajectory of his QB career stays the same by the time he enrolls. Fields to Gatewood connection could do some damage.

That's like a Malzahn dream come true... the ultimate option. Either one could reliably throw or take off from the backfield, or Joey could run a route, catch a sweet pass from Justin, and rag doll a few defenders on his way to the end zone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's like a Malzahn dream come true... the ultimate option. Either one could reliably throw or take off from the backfield, or Joey could run a route, catch a sweet pass from Justin, and rag doll a few defenders on his way to the end zone.

Imagine, if we added Justyn Ross too.

nMI0ziSpcxmlil6iBcSAcDmwctpR7v8DrAxoTklk

• Like 2

So gatewood's been cruitin' ross to us...If we're really depending on that...Y'all think if Joey doesn't end up playing qb he can still get him to come here?

12 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

So gatewood's been cruitin' ross to us...If we're really depending on that...Y'all think if Joey doesn't end up playing qb he can still get him to come here?

We are in a good spot with Ross regardless at the moment.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1