2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

The system itself has created the issues not the coaches.

I guess my view is that the coaches created system either directly or indirectly through their university representative . Generally, we note that if a rule is unpopular with the coaches , it ends up being revised. 

Certainly, some of these kids are not angels but mostly it is the coaches and adults around them who try to find ways to circumvent the rules or circumvent the intent of the rules. And that is where most of the trouble takes place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I guess my view is that the coaches created system either directly or indirectly through their university representative .

No the NCAA created the system with their sometimes goofy rules. No coaches or people representing them are involved other than basically giving an opinion.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Generally, we note that if a rule is unpopular with the coaches , it ends up being revised. 

johnkruk.gif?w=1000

With respect, your opinions on this topic are a ways off from reality. There are many NCAA rules most coaches would change if they could or had the impact to do so. 2 right of the top of the head are the max 85 scholly limit per football team roster and the new rule of can't hire a high school coach even as an analyst 2 years before or after a recruit from the coaches high school signing with that college.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Certainly, some of these kids are not angels but mostly it is the coaches and adults around them who try to find ways to circumvent the rules or circumvent the intent of the rules. And that is where most of the trouble takes place. 

Not it's not. I probably follow this much more closely than you so please just trust me on this. Many are out to work things to their advantage including many recruits so all parties involved in the process are equally culpable to what recruiting has become.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

Anyway back to Joey for what seems like the 100th time this topic has been derailed. I hope he is QB1 for his high school this season & develops nicely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Anyway back to Joey for what seems like the 100th time this topic has been derailed. I hope he is QB1 for his high school this season & develops nicely.

Pretty easy to derail a topic that does not seem to be going anywhere.

Just trying to find something to talk about until practice starts at his high school and see what the story is.  :) p

Didn't I read somewhere in this thread that Joey is ranked as the #1 Athlete for 2018?  Either way, with his size and athleticism, I don't think he is quite the risk some think. He could become a great QB, a solid athletic contributor at QB, or good to great at some other position. I like Joey and I love the recruiting he has been doing for AU!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Didn't I read somewhere in this thread that Joey is ranked as the #1 Athlete for 2018?

Yes & the # 92 prospect overall. Would be higher if 247 did not have him the #15 athlete, #271 overall, & the lowest 4* grade for them of a 90.

Riley Smith says the plan is for him & Joey to split reps every other series this year at Bartram trail. I wish for each of their sakes, that one had transferred.

Nowadays recruiting has evolved to the point where if a prospect isn't ranked four or five stars and have 15-to-20 Power 5 Conference offers by now he is written off as an 'undesirable' by most fan bases.

Forget the fact that just a few short years ago this is the time of the year when the recruiting process really began in earnest. Though it has moved up more and more – mostly because of recruiting services and the Internet – at one time the spring evaluation period and summer camp circuit were when prospects would generally see interest in their services pick up and thus offers significantly increase.

A prospect whose recruiting process is more closely following the old school way of doing things is that of Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail three-star quarterback Riley Smith.

One of the reasons for the slow start to his process is that Smith had to share quarterbacking duties with two other players last season.

You see, the Bears have an interesting situation at quarterback. Last season, as a junior, Smith teamed up with then senior Jordan Smith and Joey Gatewood to form a three-headed monster at quarterback.

Though Gatewood is more highly rated, it was actually the two Smiths who took the majority of snaps at quarterback with Riley Smith logging the best passing stats of the three.

Splitting snaps at a position is hardly new to the game of football. However, it doesn't normally happen to this extent at quarterback.

It might actually create tension.

“We have a great relationship to start out with and we're both very competitive. We drive each other to do better,” stated Smith. “If anything this pushes us to be the best players we can be. We are the first to congratulate the other.”

The trio has been reduced to a duo this time around.

“We'll mostly rotate almost every other series,” explained Smith. “When we're not lined up at quarterback, we'll play another position. Joey will line-up at running back or wide out. I'll line-up at wide out."

As was reported by Inside the Gators early last week, on Friday Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier was scheduled to watch the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Smith scrimmage on Friday.

Florida though wasn't the only program on hand.

“I have had multiple coaches come in this spring to evaluate me,” said Smith. “On Friday it was Stanford's offensive coordinator [Mike Bloomgren], Kurt Roper [South Carolina's offensive coordinator] and Doug Nussmeier who came in to watch me scrimmage. I'm talking to a lot of different schools – Pitt, Temple and North Carolina are high on me – they are telling me to stay patient and keep doing what I am doing.”

To date Smith has 25 offers and counting. Many of them though come from programs known more for their academics rather than their football.

“I pretty much have an offer from all of the Ivy League schools,” Smith said nonchalantly. “Temple, South Alabama, Central Michigan. Schools like that. I am still waiting on my first Power 5 [Conference] offer.”

Though he didn't highlight or dwell on it, to have your choice of which Ivy League program you wish to attend is a pretty big deal.

It also adds a complication most football prospects aren't forced to face – what happens when the bigger offers start rolling in and he has to decide between big time football and an Ivy League education?

“It's an awesome experience to have these type of opportunities that will help take me wherever I want to go in life – especially since academics are such an important factor for me. It's great to be able to say that I can go to one of those types of schools, but that's the hard part. I've been thinking about it and praying about it. If I get those bigger offers I'll have to sit down with my parents and talk it out. I love the thought of getting an Ivy League education, but I also want a shot at going to the NFL. I would have to weigh it out and decide which is the best opportunity for my future.”

Without question, Stanford is as close to an Ivy League education as you can get while still playing 'big time' college football. While the Cardinal like Smith, they are in a bit of a bind.

“They've been talking to me and they said that they can only take one scholarship quarterback this year and they have him already [four-star Jack West], but if I could come in as a walk-on to start out and earn a scholarship down the road. I don't know. It is something I will think about but I really want to be a scholarship player.”

Florida is also thought to be one of the top public universities in the nation.

The Gators are telling Smith that an offer could come down the road.

“I've talked to coach Nuss a couple of times,” explained Smith. “He wants to get me on campus for an individual throwing session and then have me come in for a camp. He wants to see me more and start building a better relationship with me. He compared my situation to [Kyle] Trask. He said not to get discouraged, this is what he [Trask] had to do too. I'm trying to stay positive – hoping I can pull that offer.”

There are four other programs very much in play:

“I went on a visit to South Carolina before the start of spring football,” explained Smith. “I've been talking to Coach Roper and he wants me to come back up. I've been talking to Florida State's quarterback coach [Randy Sanders] a lot. Pitt, I really think they are about to offer. North Carolina, they're talking to me and I'm going to visit there this summer.”

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With limited snaps I think both will have trouble making it at Quarterback in a P-5 Conference (someone needs to transfer).

54 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

With limited snaps I think both will have trouble making it at Quarterback in a P-5 Conference (someone needs to transfer).

Sounds like they are playing a game of chicken. Which one transfers first? I could have swore that Joey made a clear statement recently that he wouldn't be sharing snaps next season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Sounds like they are playing a game of chicken. Which one transfers first? I could have swore that Joey made a clear statement recently that he wouldn't be sharing snaps next season 

Sounds to me like neither one is.

Just now, ellitor said:

Sounds to me like neither one is.

:dunno: >:(

The classification of any kid as "athlete" really worries me.   It's nice to get a really superior athlete but seems that athletes who are "jack of all trades" have a hard time settling on a position at the college level ...and while Im sure some have done it, can't recall an "athlete" who ended up playing QB in the big time.   

I'm betting when the season gets under way, one will emerge as the primary QB and the other used for special situations....goal line plays or 3rd and short for example where a guy like JG can use his power.   Just taking a look a their "physicals" of the two, seems to me that Smith will be the QB since I'm doubtful that he has the overall athletic skills of JG and overall, maybe he is too good to keep off the field.  The HS coach will have a lot of pressure on him to make a choice on one and move the other...JMO

And as noted by AUMaster, it's hard for me to imagine him as a QB in the SEC if he only plays part time...or plays in special situations where his skill can be put to best use.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The classification of any kid as "athlete" really worries me.   It's nice to get a really superior athlete but seems that athletes who are "jack of all trades" have a hard time settling on a position at the college level ...and while Im sure some have done it, can't recall an "athlete" who ended up playing QB in the big time.   

I'm betting when the season gets under way, one will emerge as the primary QB and the other used for special situations....goal line plays or 3rd and short for example where a guy like JG can use his power.   Just taking a look a their "physicals" of the two, seems to me that Smith will be the QB since I'm doubtful that he has the overall athletic skills of JG and overall, maybe he is too good to keep off the field.  The HS coach will have a lot of pressure on him to make a choice on one and move the other...JMO

And as noted by AUMaster, it's hard for me to imagine him as a QB in the SEC if he only plays part time...or plays in special situations where his skill can be put to best use.

JG isn't even a full time starter at his high school and we've been reading articles about him for 2 or 3 years. He may be the most speculated and anticipated non starter high school athlete in my lifetime. 

• Like 6

I know the coach has to and is there to win games and joey g is the best athlete he has but it really is doing a disservice to the kids potential growth as a QB. I only care because this could potentially hurt AU down the line. Having said that Joey G should of transferred a long time ago to a place where his great athletic ability would not be held against him to put him somewhere else on the field that is not QB.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know the coach has to and is there to win games and joey g is the best athlete he has but it really is doing a disservice to the kids potential growth as a QB. I only care because this could potentially hurt AU down the line. Having said that Joey G should of transferred a long time ago to a place where his great athletic ability would not be held against him to put him somewhere else on the field that is not QB.

We don't know for sure but likely his coach sees things pretty clearly about who should be QB and who should be playing somewhere else.  Expect with the publicity about JG,  the HS coach is under pressure to play JG at QB whether the coach wants him there or not....and could be that JG is pushing the QB issue which may or may not be in his best future interest.

Transferring might have been a good idea a couple years ago but as we note at the college level too, it rarely works well for a guy to run away from the competition at a position by transferring. This is HS after all and if the other guy is a better QB, then  he should be starting ...and maybe now is the time for JG to find out where his future is.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Transferring might have been a good idea a couple years ago but as we note at the college level too, it rarely works well for a guy to run away from the competition at a position by transferring. This is HS after all and if the other guy is a better QB, then  he should be starting ...and maybe now is the time for JG to find out where his future is.

In this case transferring wouldn't be running away from competition. As @GwillMac6 alluded to, It would be creating an opportunity for both talented kids to get a full season's worth of much needed QB1 reps for both before they get to college, but as things stand right now appear unlikely to happen for either kid .

Edited by ellitor

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

In this case transferring wouldn't be running away from competition. As @GwillMac6 alluded to, It would be creating an opportunity for both talented kids to get a full season's worth of much needed QB1 reps for both before they get to college, but as things stand right now appear unlikely to happen for either kid .

That is a way to look at it I guess. Coach might be trying to satisfy both kids....to the ultimate benefit of neither.  :dunno:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That is a way to look at it I guess. Coach might be trying to satisfy both kids....to the ultimate benefit of neither.  :dunno:

Yep

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Well his job & his pay is to win ball games aka benefit his high school team, not develop the kids into D1 QBs.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well his job & his pay is to win ball games aka benefit his high school team, not develops the kids into D1 QBs.

Was about to say the same thing. 

We have a D1 safety playing receiver and QB. We don't get to renew our contracts based on where he signs, just how many games we win.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well his job & his pay is to win ball games aka benefit his high school team, not develops the kids into D1 QBs.

I agree 100% but some commentary could be construed as suggesting that developing a player for college is more important.  JMO but that is a narrow line to walk.

• Like 1

Just now, AU64 said:

I agree 100% but some commentary could be construed as suggesting that developing a player for college is more important.  JMO but that is a narrow line to walk.

Its razor thin...and its not always made correctly.

• Like 2

Another one of them athletes huh? This guy passes the eye test though . Can't wait to see him in the wildcat .