2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Another thing people need to remember about him not playing quarterback is that his coach's job is to put the best 11 men on the field. As athletic as he is, I don't think they were going to have any problems winning games with him at quarterback. But, when you've got someone else who can play the quarterback position just as well, not necessarily even better than someone like Gatewood, it makes sense to play that person and use Joey anywhere and everywhere else. That's just winning games. 

Anyway, it shouldn't cause anyone to question his ability to play quarterback. The talent is there, like many of you have said. Either way, what's happened has happened, and from what that article said, he will be playing quarterback this season somewhere. All I know is that he is a PHENOMENAL athlete and I'll take him any way we can get him. 

Edited by Barnacle

41 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Another thing people need to remember about him not playing quarterback is that his coach's job is to put the best 11 men on the field. As athletic as he is, I don't think they were going to have any problems winning games with him at quarterback. But, when you've got someone else who can play the quarterback position just as well, not necessarily even better than someone like Gatewood, it makes sense to play that person and use Joey anywhere and everywhere else. That's just winning games. 

Anyway, it shouldn't cause anyone to question his ability to play quarterback. The talent is there, like many of you have said. Either way, what's happened has happened, and from what that article said, he will be playing quarterback this season somewhere. All I know is that he is a PHENOMENAL athlete and I'll take him any way we can get him. 

There are PHENOMENAL athletes playing soccer, running track and cross country, playing lacrosse, baseball and basketball who are not worth risking a football scholarship to a program like AU.

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

There are PHENOMENAL athletes playing soccer, running track and cross country, playing lacrosse, baseball and basketball who are not worth risking a football scholarship to a program like AU.

I'm not sure I understand your point or how it's germane to this discussion. If you are suggesting that Joey Gatewood isn't worth risking a scholarship on, I think you may have lost your marbles. 

• Like 3

Just now, Barnacle said:

I'm not sure I understand your point or how it's germane to this discussion. If you are suggesting that Joey Gatewood isn't worth risking a scholarship on, I think you may have lost your marbles. 

What position is he going to start at and play at a SEC championship level?  He has difficulty starting as a QB at the HS level, so I would guess you have information that he is a legit potential starter at AU at another position.  

wde

Everybody agrees he is behind Peyton Manning develop-wise when Peyton was in HS, but that isn't relative.  What is?  Phenominal athlete with HUGE upside to become a great player who could be a great QB.  He won't start as a freshman, period.  That's fine - we hired a legit QB developer in Lindsey.  I trust we can dev QBs now.

I haven't heard much talk about how positive his attitude and confidence is.  The dude isn't even playing QB and he is recruiting players to be 'his WRs'.  Reminds me of Calvin Ashley in that regard.  Those are intangibles everybody can benefit from.

Edited by Beaker
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

What position is he going to start at and play at a SEC championship level?  He has difficulty starting as a QB at the HS level, so I would guess you have information that he is a legit potential starter at AU at another position.  

wde

Well, there aren't any high school juniors that I know of that could start for an SEC team and compete for championships at any position. You look at a player's skill sets and you project where you think they could be in 2-3 years. Joey is being projected for at least two positions, quarterback and tight end. I am by no means inside to Auburn's recruiting, but there are several posters in this thread who are, and have said as much. 

He hasn't had trouble starting as a quarterback at the high school level. He's been utilized in other ways at a school loaded with division 1 quarterback talent. It's not a question of talent. 

Edited by Barnacle

Just now, Barnacle said:

Well, there aren't many high school juniors that I know of that could start for an SEC team and compete for championships at any position. You look at a player's skill sets and you project where you think they could be in 2-3 years. Joey is being projected for at least two positions, quarterback and tight end. I am by no means inside to Auburn's recruiting, but there are several posters in this thread who are, and have said as much. 

He hasn't had trouble starting as a quarterback at the high school level. He's been utilized in other ways at a school loaded with division 1 quarterback talent. It's not a question of talent. 

OK.  We will see.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

OK.  We will see.

wde

Will see about what? You inferred that he may not be "worthy" of a big-time scholarship offer. But, he's already received scholarship offers from most of the biggest programs in college football. Again, I'm confused at what point you are trying to make. All recruits are wait and see prospects until they get on campus. There are no sure things. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

Will see about what? You inferred that he may not be "worthy" of a big-time scholarship offer. But, he's already received scholarship offers from most of the biggest programs in college football. Again, I'm confused at what point you are trying to make. All recruits are wait and see prospects until they get on campus. There are no sure things. 

We will see if he is worthy of a scholly offer at QB.  Since we do not use a TE, then if we offer him as a TE then it will be a wasted scholly.

wde 

Just now, AUIH1 said:

We will see if he is worthy of a scholly offer at QB.  Since we do not use a TE have not utilized a tight end in the past, then if we offer him as a TE then it will be a wasted scholly.

wde 

FIFY. 

Don't think of him in terms of a traditional, run-blocking tight end. He would be to us what Evan Engram was to Ole Miss. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

FIFY. 

Don't think of him in terms of a traditional, run-blocking tight end. He would be to us what Evan Engram was to Ole Miss. 

LOL.  Ok.  Who will be the HC at AU when this happens?  So, you are thinking he will be a tight end?

4 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL.  Ok.  Who will be the HC at AU when this happens?  So, you are thinking he will be a tight end?

No, I'm not thinking he will be a tight-end. I still like him at quarterback and I presume (from what I've read) that the coaches do too, but he has the skill set to play both positions. 

It's also interesting that you are framing my argument as if mine is a minority position. I'm basing my opinion off of 1) his tape 2) his scholarship offers 3) what our coaches have said about him, and 3) what posters who have far greater insight into recruiting have reiterated. 

Edited by Barnacle

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

No, I'm not thinking he will be a tight-end. I still like him at quarterback and I presume (from what I've read) that the coaches do too, but he has the skill set to play both positions. 

OK.  With our current HC, a TE is a non-factor. With another HC, then the TE position can be a great asset. I hope Gatewood makes the right decision for himself if TE will be his best position.  Our coaches have not had great success evaluating QBs out of HS.

I am pretty sure Gatewood was offered as a QB by the same staff that offered JFIII.

wde

Edited by AUIH1

22 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

OK.  With our current HC, a TE is a non-factor. With another HC, then the TE position can be a great asset. I hope Gatewood makes the right decision for himself if TE will be his best position.  Our coaches have not had great success evaluating QBs out of HS.

I am pretty sure Gatewood was offered as a QB by the same staff that offered JFIII.

wde

I still don't understand your point. We shouldn't recruit players to play quarterback because we aren't good at recruiting players to play quarterback? Who does this not apply to? 

Remember Nick Marshall? Based upon your reasoning, he should never have been offered a scholarship to play at Auburn. No players are sure things, even highly heralded quarterback recruits. Look at Blake Barnett. You look at players, you look at their upside and you recruit the players you think can develop into contributors. Gatewood's upside at the QB position is tremendous. He's not a sure thing. So what? Such is recruiting. 

Edited by Barnacle

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Services have said if he was rated as a WR he would be a 4* and as a H Back type of TE he would be rated as 1 of the 2 or 3 best TEs in the class FWIW. His potential as a TE for AU has been extensively covered in this thread.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I still don't understand your point. We shouldn't recruit players to play quarterback because we aren't good at recruiting players to play quarterback? Who does this not apply to? 

Remember Nick Marshall? Based upon your reasoning, he should never have been offered a scholarship to play at Auburn. No players are sure things, even highly heralded quarterback recruits. Look at Blake Barnett. You look at players, you look at their upside and you recruit the players you think can develop into contributors. Gatewood's upside at the QB position is tremendous. He's not a sure thing. So what? Such is recruiting. 

Nick Marshall was a no brainer coming out of JC based on our QB situation at the time.  

52 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

We will see if he is worthy of a scholly offer at QB.  Since we do not use a TE, then if we offer him as a TE then it will be a wasted scholly.

wde 

We will if Chip is calling plays & running things.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

We will if Chip is calling plays & running things.

That remains to be seen does it not?

Just now, AUIH1 said:

That remains to be seen does it not?

Yes but all indications inside the program are looking promising for a change.

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Nick Marshall was a no brainer coming out of JC based on our QB situation at the time.  

The point remains. You take guys who you think, given their skill set, can help you win games. Gatewood is no exception to that rule. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Barnacle said:

The point remains. You take guys who you think, given their skill set, can help you win games. Gatewood is no exception to that rule. 

Yup. Even John Franklin was a no brainer, IMO. Just not at QB. I think he'll help us win games this year. Harold Joiner is a no brainer, whether he plays at RB or somewhere else.

Joey Gatewood is definitely a no brainer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. Even John Franklin was a no brainer, IMO. Just not at QB. I think he'll help us win games this year. Harold Joiner is a no brainer, whether he plays at RB or somewhere else.

Joey Gatewood is definitely a no brainer. 

"We'll see."

• 2 weeks later...

Too early to predict he never plays meaningful snap as a qb at AU?

I swear I've seen this story play out 20 times and it almost never works out. Seems like I've seen it as recently as last year...Oh yeah...JF3...everyone excused that he didn't start as qb in juco...now he can't even crack the top 4 at qb. There's usually a reason these guys don't start at qb.  If an excuse is even attempted that the guy ahead of him is better at qb..well then that's a pretty clear indicator....usually anyways. Maybe he'll be the exception :dunno: (unlikely)

Edited by FoundationEagle
  • Like 5