Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

1 hour ago, hutchids said:

Would be the second year in a row i miss a bowl due to work. I hope they are wrong.

That's why I don't want the Outback bowl.  Worst time slot.  11 am on the day we go back to work.  Since Sugar bowl is a long shot, I would much prefer a game on 12/30 or 12/31, unless they are in an evening game on a different date. 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I know there are all sorts of tie ins, but I imagine the sugar bowl people are in the dumps about whoever comes from the SEC this year. Hate to say it but, all the candidates are real 2nd tier teams, including us.

LOL's!  The Sugar Bowl wants a full stadium. AU travels very well. So does LSU. So does UF.  With bowl attendance being down, down, down pretty much across the board since the advent of the BCS and now the CFP (save for those championship and playoff games), the Sugar Bowl is likely thrilled at the prospects of any of these three teams being there. 

With the way things have turned out, I fully expect us to be freezing our tails off at the fabulous Liberty Bowl playing in a game nobody outside our fanbase really cares about. 

Glass half empty? 

You bet. :)

31 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

With the way things have turned out, I fully expect us to be freezing our tails off at the fabulous Liberty Bowl playing in a game nobody outside our fanbase really cares about. 

Glass half empty? 

You bet. :)

No just reality. If glass is half empty you just need a refill. Lol

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

What are the odds of the Belk bowl? Being in NC I'd love that

I remember seeing one projection this past week with AU in the Belk but I can't remember who they had us up against. 

6 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I remember seeing one projection this past week with AU in the Belk but I can't remember who they had us up against. 

Last one I saw was against our old buddy Mark Richt and Miami.

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Unless our defense plays the game of their life and offense doesn't turn over the ball just to keep the Bama game close there is no way we will go to the Sugar Bowl other than beating Bama. There's no combination between wins and losses for the rest of the contenders possible between LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, & Tennessee for us to stay ahead of all of them. LSU losing to Florida would  not work because somebody still has to beat Tennessee. if LSU beat Florida that would open the door for Tennessee to go and lose to Alabama. LSU would then have to go to lose to Texas A&M. The problem there Texas A&M with jump us by having the SEC standing tie breaker plus likely get ahead in the rankings. So far as the Sugar Bowl is concerned for Auburn it's essentially beat Bama or bust. We really screwed the pooch by losing to Georgia.

:banghead:  Screwed ourselves out of so many possibilities.

11 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

BELK BOWL Charlotte, N.C. | Dec. 29

vs. Pittsburgh (Brett McMurphy, ESPN)

LIBERTY BOWL Memphis, Tenn. | Dec. 30

vs. Texas (Bill Bender, Sporting News)

TAXSLAYER BOWL Jacksonville, Fla. | Dec. 31

vs. Miami (Colin Becht, Sports Illustrated)

No opponent listed (Greg Ostendorf, ESPN)

OUTBACK BOWL Tampa, Fla. | Jan. 2

vs. Nebraska (Jerry Palm, CBS Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Steve Lassan, Athlon Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Jason Kirk, SB Nation)

vs. Penn State (Mark Schlabach, ESPN)

SUGAR BOWL New Orleans, La. | Jan. 2

vs. West Virginia (Erick Smith, USA Today)

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I'd prefer this matchup. Got a real troll of a coworker who is a huge Penn State fan. Would love to shut him up. lol

My guess is either the Belk Bowl vs Pitt or UNC or the Outback Bowl vs Penn St. or Nebraska. 

I would prefer the latter, however it will be tough to get that nod over UF. 

Only an upset of bama will get us in the Sugar, and honestly, I think we are too beat up to have a realistic shot to pull that off. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

BELK BOWL Charlotte, N.C. | Dec. 29

vs. Pittsburgh (Brett McMurphy, ESPN)

LIBERTY BOWL Memphis, Tenn. | Dec. 30

vs. Texas (Bill Bender, Sporting News)

TAXSLAYER BOWL Jacksonville, Fla. | Dec. 31

vs. Miami (Colin Becht, Sports Illustrated)

No opponent listed (Greg Ostendorf, ESPN)

vs. Nebraska (Jerry Palm, CBS Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Steve Lassan, Athlon Sports)

vs. Nebraska (Jason Kirk, SB Nation)

SUGAR BOWL New Orleans, La. | Jan. 2

vs. West Virginia (Erick Smith, USA Today)

I like those options. Several intriguing matchups. 

Is there a reason Auburn isn't being mentioned in regards to the Cotton Bowl? It isn't being used in the playoff this year and typically takes SEC West teams. Is it just because of the prospect of Texas A&M being a better draw with an 8-4 record? I would think Auburn could be competitive for that with our established track record for traveling well though the prospect of passing over a Texas team might be too much to resist for Jerry? That would have to be the reason unless I'm missing something else obvious.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, Maverick.AU said:

Did you literally just say Wisconsin? Since 2000 they are the only team AU has played in a bowl multiple times. I really don't want to play them again because that would make the 4th time we've played them in a bowl since 03

No Wisconsin..I agree wholeheartedly!

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

My guess is either the Belk Bowl vs Pitt or UNC or the Outback Bowl vs Penn St. or Nebraska. 

I would prefer the latter, however it will be tough to get that nod over UF. 

Only an upset of bama will get us in the Sugar, and honestly, I think we are too beat up to have a realistic shot to pull that off. 

I agree here also...much rather the Outback Bowl

3 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'd prefer this matchup. Got a real troll of a coworker who is a huge Penn State fan. Would love to shut him up. lol

Hope we can manage to become attractive enough again to move up to this one.

On 11/16/2016 at 9:36 AM, Dan-0 said:

I would like to see us go to the Sugar Bowl but I would like to see another opponent besides FSU, maybe a Wisconsin, Penn State, or another school not from the south.

Seems like we have a history of playing Nebraska or Wisconsin inbowl games. I'd prefer anyone but them.

16 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Seems like we have a history of playing Nebraska or Wisconsin inbowl games. I'd prefer anyone but them.

I don't want to play Nebraska, since my wife is a fan and her family works for the school, but your memory is off.  We've only played them 4 times, ever, two of those weren't bowl games, and prior to 2007, the last time was in 1982.

18 hours ago, lca408 said:

Is there a reason Auburn isn't being mentioned in regards to the Cotton Bowl? It isn't being used in the playoff this year and typically takes SEC West teams. Is it just because of the prospect of Texas A&M being a better draw with an 8-4 record? I would think Auburn could be competitive for that with our established track record for traveling well though the prospect of passing over a Texas team might be too much to resist for Jerry? That would have to be the reason unless I'm missing something else obvious.

Mostly just the fact that A&M is closer and would probably pull more fans. Plus the history of their team versus anyone they'd match them up against makes for a better story.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, auburn4ever said:

If we end the season at 8-4, we won't be going to the Sugar bowl. But if we do, that tells me they couldn't find anyone else.

Sugar Bowl gets first pick of the top, non-playoff SEC team this year. We have a very good shot IMO because if EITHER LSU beats UF & aTm beats LSU OR UF beats LSU then loses to FSU - and we make a good showing against Bama - we're probably there.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Sugar Bowl gets first pick of the top, non-playoff SEC team this year. We have a very good shot IMO because if EITHER LSU beats UF & aTm beats LSU OR UF beats LSU then loses to FSU - and we make a good showing against Bama - we're probably there.

JMO but I think the committee jumps a 3 loss Tennessee or 3 loss aTm over a 4 loss Auburn. And the Sugar does not get to pick. They have to take the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings if the SEC Champ is in the playoff bowls.

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JMO but I think the committee jumps a 3 loss Tennessee or 3 loss aTm over a 4 loss Auburn. And the Sugar does not get to pick. They have to take the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings if the SEC Champ is in the playoff bowls.

Which could still be Auburn if Florida beat LSU, LSU beats A&M, and FL State beats Florida. lol How sad is that?!

Archived