Forget Alabama A&M. I want Johnson

AUIH1

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

As much as I'd love to pull it off, I still think it would be a miraculous victory. If our defense can keep them in single digits, maybe we can win. I guess that would be a feat in and of itself though given that Bama scores more points per game than they ever have under Saban.

Possibly tangential to the discussion but

this year, seems like teams have struggled to limit UA's defense and special teams to single digits.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really to be frank with everybody healthy the match up of this game didn't favor us, now in this present day situation we can't play Franklin because we didn't even try to prep him and JJ was ruined a long time ago. Heck truth be told we still haven't seen what sw can do under a major high pressure game like this. Can't play woody and ruin his confidence in a game like this....I literally see no way besides if somehow we just get into a field position low scoring game and the defense scores....Pretty much what uga did to us last week

16 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

I just want the coaches to pick one of the two -- JJ or JFIII -- commit to him this week, come up with an aggressive gameplan, and stick to it. I actually suspect stressing ball security has been part of the problem and what got into JJ's head, even more than being hit. He can't be scared to make mistakes. No one can play that way. 

We won the game last night, but we didn't really take the opportunity to give either QB any practice for what they'll need to do against Bama. In that sense, it was a wasted opportunity.

Disagree.  I think we all know what these two are capable of.  Watching them play against A&M gave a little more info but, no real indicator against a vastly superior defense.

There is a big psychological element to this.  I think JJ represents a confidence builder for their defense.  Real or not, JFIII represents some doubts.  If you don't get their defense out to their comfort zone, you have ZERO chance.

18 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Disagree.  I think we all know what these two are capable of.  Watching them play against A&M gave a little more info but, no real indicator against a vastly superior defense.

There is a big psychological element to this.  I think JJ represents a confidence builder for their defense.  Real or not, JFIII represents some doubts.  If you don't get their defense out to their comfort zone, you have ZERO chance.

Well, I guess I think each game represents a new opportunity and remain open to the idea that either JJ or JFIII could improve beyond where they are now. I mean, athletes can get better with practice. We didn't let either one of them throw the ball downfield much, if at all, last night. I think either will have to do that against Bama. 

In fact, I think that's they way to get their defense out of their comfort zone -- to throw (and complete) some deep balls. But we didn't work on that at all last night. :dunno:

1 minute ago, AUbritt said:

Well, I guess I think each game represents a new opportunity and remain open to the idea that either JJ or JFIII could improve beyond where they are now. I mean, athletes can get better with practice. We didn't let either one of them throw the ball downfield much, if at all, last night. I think either will have to do that against Bama. 

In fact, I think that's they way to get their defense out of their comfort zone -- to throw (and complete) some deep balls. But we didn't work on that at all last night. :dunno:

I remember Davis WIDE open in the end zone and, JJ missing him by a mile.

And again, it's not necessarily about what is real.  It is about what is perceived and, how you use the perception to your advantage.  

Which QB gives them some doubt, a moment of pause?  Which one emboldens their pass rush and, creates confidence.

We are an 18 point dog.  However, we have a chance but,,,,only if we take it.

7 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I remember Davis WIDE open in the end zone and, JJ missing him by a mile.

And again, it's not necessarily about what is real.  It is about what is perceived and, how you use the perception to your advantage.  

Which QB gives them some doubt, a moment of pause?  Which one emboldens their pass rush and, creates confidence.

We are an 18 point dog.  However, we have a chance but,,,,only if we take it.

I'd be fine with JFIII starting, as long as we have an aggressive gameplan that includes him throwing the ball deep.

I would not be fine with starting him if we won't let him throw the ball. If we lack confidence in him throwing, then we need to start JJ, IMO. I still think we should have let JFIII throw the ball a lot last night. We already know he can run it. Now, you might say we already know he can't pass it. But if that's the case, we have to start JJ.

Just now, AUbritt said:

I'd be fine with JFIII starting, as long as we have an aggressive gameplan that includes him throwing the ball deep.

I would not be fine with starting him if we won't let him throw the ball. If we lack confidence in him throwing, then we need to start JJ, IMO. I still think we should have let JFIII throw the ball a lot last night. We already know he can run it. Now, you might say we already know he can't pass it. But if that's the case, we have to start JJ.

I agree in principle.  However, we do not need him to necessarily be successful throwing deep.  We just need to take enough well time, calculated shots that it keeps the illusion of the threat alive.  Ultimately, we MUST have a running game in order to have a chance.  

JJ standing in the pocket, falling down on immediate contact offers no hope.  We do not have the ability to truly setup the run with the passing game.

I just don't see us creating a passing offense in one or two weeks.  An illusion is about all we can hope for.  The illusion has to be just good enough to keep them guessing.  Keep them from totally selling out.  

52 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yep....and nothing JJ did indicated that he was any different than the guy who got pulled at the beginning of the season.....glad to see him "get the win"...as the starter but he is now, what he was 2 months ago I'm afraid. 

IMO JF3 looked good against AAM because their defense lacked discipline....and left big holes for Kam M.  but one thing for certain, bama defense is 100% disciplined and not likely the let the JF3 "threat" cause them to break hesitate or lose containment.....well, he might cause some confusion for a few plays but not for long. ..but who knows.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

I agree in principle.  However, we do not need him to necessarily be successful throwing deep.  We just need to take enough well time, calculated shots that it keeps the illusion of the threat alive.  Ultimately, we MUST have a running game in order to have a chance.  

JJ standing in the pocket, falling down on immediate contact offers no hope.  We do not have the ability to truly setup the run with the passing game.

I just don't see us creating a passing offense in one or two weeks.  An illusion is about all we can hope for.  The illusion has to be just good enough to keep them guessing.  Keep them from totally selling out.  

I don't disagree with this. Of course, if they do sell out to stop the run, and they succeed, then we absolutely do have to have success passing, or we're done. 

37 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....and nothing JJ did indicated that he was any different than the guy who got pulled at the beginning of the season.....glad to see him "get the win"...as the starter but he is now, what he was 2 months ago I'm afraid. 

IMO JF3 looked good against AAM because their defense lacked discipline....and left big holes for Kam M.  but one thing for certain, bama defense is 100% disciplined and not likely the let the JF3 "threat" cause them to break hesitate or lose containment.....well, he might cause some confusion for a few plays but not for long. ..but who knows.

If those few plays can get in the end zone, it'd be well worth it.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Exactly. I've covered a lot of aspects and matchups that no longer should be ignored or forgotten as far as our matchup with Bama. 

There are others though: 

-Our interior O line is amazing. The tackles, though, will be in a dogfight against a player even better than Arden Key in Tim Williams. Not to mention you have Allen, Daron Payne, and others that are just as good. Our DL is still better than theirs though.

-Which QB of ours will react better to the pass rush? Bama has harassed QBs all season long and they blitz more than usual. Who do you want in that situation? The new guy that didn't start for his juco, or JJ, the guy that assumed the fetal position way too many times last year?

-The next question is how will our freshman receivers step up next week? They're young. They never experienced Tuscaloosa before.  We really don't have any savvy vets at receiver. Marcus Davis is hurt.  What makes us think that our bug-eyed frogs receivers will not feel the situation is too much. We didn't have any receivers last weekend when it got too rough at Georgia.

-Lastly, what kind of game is Gus going to call? He called an excellent 2009 IronBowl game when our team was an underdog. 2015, though, you could tell he felt handcuffed by our own player personnel which included Jeremy as starter and Barber and Jovon as RBs. I believe our only TD was from a HailMary miracle- tipped pass that landed in Jason Smith's arms. So I believe Gus went conservative to try and let the defense win the game.

Questions to chew on...

Edit) Is my font coming across as varied and a nuisance to read? What gives?

You never can tell when Gus will go from trying to win a game to trying not to lose the game....like the UGA game....and others before where he will try to sit on even a small lead rather than push ahead. 

Against bama he has two choices as I see it.....immediately push out on offense and take some chances and try to get an early lead.....or #2....see what the defense can do with the bama offense, keep them under control or what? 

JMO but I see him keeping it very conservative until he decides whether our defense can neutralize their offense.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Exactly. I've covered a lot of aspects and matchups that no longer should ignored or forgotten as far as our matchup with Bama. 

There are others though: 

-Our interior O line is amazing. The tackles, though, will be in a dogfight against a player even better than Arden Key in Tim Williams. Not to mention you have Allen, Daron Payne, and others that are just as good. Our DL is still better than theirs though.

-Which QB of ours will react better to the pass rush? Bama has harassed QBs all season long and they blitz more than usual. Who do you want in that situation? The new guy that didn't start for his juco, or JJ, the guy that assumed the fetal position way too many times last year?

-The next question is how will our freshman receivers step up next week? They're young. They never experienced Tuscaloosa before.  We really don't have any savvy vets at receiver. Marcus Davis is hurt.  What makes us think that our bug-eyed frogs receivers will not feel the situation is too much. We didn't have any receivers last weekend when it got too rough at Georgia.

-Lastly, what kind of game is Gus going to call? He called an excellent 2009 IronBowl game when our team was an underdog. 2015, though, you could tell he felt handcuffed by our own player personnel which included Jeremy as starter and Barber and Jovon as RBs. I believe our only TD was from a hail Mary miracle- tipped pass that landed in Jason Smith's arms. So I believe Gus went conservative to try and let the defense win the game.

Questions to chew on...

Any way sliced,

an uphill battle. like

an up Mt. Suribachi battle.

WDE

2 hours ago, AUbritt said:

I just want the coaches to pick one of the two -- JJ or JFIII -- commit to him this week, come up with an aggressive gameplan, and stick to it. I actually suspect stressing ball security has been part of the problem and what got into JJ's head, even more than being hit. He can't be scared to make mistakes. No one can play that way. 

We won the game last night, but we didn't really take the opportunity to give either QB any practice for what they'll need to do against Bama. In that sense, it was a wasted opportunity.

I agree.

wde

Archived