Everybody had Enough?

mom2kid

2 minutes ago, Butthead said:

ok, I have a question, or really a series of questions?

1.  Do we really want the AD telling the head coach how to select his staff?  Gus is paid very well to make those decisions.  If he cannot make those decisions, what type of CEO can he be?

Not the AD per se, but various Powers That Be.  And in this case, yes, we want them to step in and tell Gus it's beyond time to be the head coach and not the offensive coordinator.  Get the best offensive mind you can and let him to the job you hire him to do.

2.  If Gus is told to relinquish control of the offense, what real value does he bring to the program?  Gus knows little about the defensive side of the ball (or that is how it appears).  Gus is not an accomplished recruiter (from what insiders seem to think).  Gus is not a master technician or game coach (my opinion, but I think his record as a HC bears this out).

The same value any coach who has a specialty brings to a program, even if they aren't the de facto coordinator.  What he's being asked to do is normal.

3.  So other than financial reasons, is there a real reason to keep Gus?

Right now, the lack of any clear cut, realistic option to replace him should be obvious.

But beyond that, we showed what is possible this year when we were healthy.  The right hire and possibly the right QB makes a huge difference going into next year.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or did Gus really just not seem to give a hoot in the post game press conference.  He shrugged all the questions off like they were not his problem to deal with. 

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

You heard it here first -> Gus is going to promote Hand to the position because Hand will do what he's told and because nobody else wants to come.  

Of course thats what is going to happen.  Gus is just like Paul Johnson at Ga Tech with the triple option.  The only offense Johnson will ever run is the triple option.  The only offense Gus will ever run is the run first play action HUNH.  And honestly I am fine with Malzahns offense.  The problem isn't Malzahns offense, the problem is Malzahn too often gets away from his own offense and starts calling the most idiotic plays ever.  Rhett went back to running the simple Malzahn offense and Auburn was successful.  Pettway and White get hurt then Malzahn starts trying to use his "GENIUS" and starts calling horrible plays.

Also, and this is just a theory that I would like to hear opinions on, but I believe that Malzahns Quarterback Coaching ban is the reason good QB's are not coming to Auburn.

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Partly because we want a fresh set of eyes - someone not in Malzahn's coaching tree - to come in.  Rhett sees Gus as too much of a mentor/father figure to assert himself enough in the process.  

And secondly, because I think Briles will bring passing game improvements to the mix and give us the best shot at signing Stidham.

So you agree Lash is great, just like Kendall?  A great coach whose greatness was missed due to player injuries?  But Rhett is weak.  Kendall will be strong and tell his own boss to pound sand?  It's a bit disturbing to think that pro-Lash fans will probably successfully use your pro-Briles argument to keep Lashley another season.  That and Briles is not coming here!  :poke:

On the pro-Briles side,  I would hate to see Rhett do his Sith anti-coaching mind tricks on yet another talented QB.

I will say this:  if I were AD my next conversation with Gus would begin thusly:

"Gus, we're giving you another year to get this turned around, but if you ever line up Chandler Cox at QB and don't audible out of it before the snap again, I will fire you one second after the clock turns zero in that game.  I will literally send an intern to pack up your office that second and you can pick up your s*** on the way home.  I think that a combination of injuries and you being too enamored with trickery and cutesy concepts kept us from being 10-2 this year.  Hire the best OC you can get and let him do his job.  You're the head coach, not a coordinator anymore.  Do we understand each other?"

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

So on the one hand Kendall isn't that great and we shouldn't bother but on the other he's too good to work for Gus.  Weird.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from his post.

"Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM.  If he's as smart as you think he is, he's not coming to Auburn. "

--Why would anyone come to work under Gus when he's likely on the hot seat. If he's as smart as you claim, he knows better than to board a sinking ship.

Just now, selias said:

"Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM.  If he's as smart as you think he is, he's not coming to Auburn. "

--Why would anyone come to work under Gus when he's likely on the hot seat. If he's as smart as you claim, he knows better than to board a sinking ship.

Because he'd just told me that he doesn't think Kendall is all that great.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Because he'd just told me that he doesn't think Kendall is all that great.

Kendall can be "not that great" and still smart enough to avoid the Gustanic. Personally, I think KB is a very good OC but it'd be foolish for him to come here.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

So you agree Lash is great, just like Kendall?  A great coach whose greatness was missed due to player injuries?  But Rhett is weak.  Kendall will be strong and tell his own boss to pound sand?  It's a bit disturbing to think that pro-Lash fans will probably successfully use your pro-Briles argument to keep Lashley another season.  That and Briles is not coming here!  :poke:

On the pro-Briles side,  I would hate to see Rhett do his Sith anti-coaching mind tricks on yet another talented QB.

I think Lashlee is a very good offensive coordinator if he's allowed to do his job.  And yes, I think if we didn't get injured we're 9-3 easily.  We'd beat UGA by 20.  If Lashlee had been the coordinator Game One this year, we don't see that rotating QB circus against Clemson and likely pull that one out too and are 10-2.  And frankly, who knows what a non-schizo gameplan vs A&M results in?

I think as long as Briles isn't caught up in any NCAA stuff himself, he's the most likely successor to Lashlee.  And yes, I think he'll be more willing to speak up to Gus.  Briles knows he can get a job anywhere regardless of Gus.  He's already proven himself outside of his mentor.  Rhett hasn't.

Just now, selias said:

Kendall can be "not that great" and still smart enough to avoid the Gustanic. Personally, I think KB is a very good OC but it'd be foolish for him to come here.

To me, if he's not that great, then he's in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

To me, if he's not that great, then he's in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation.

There are plenty of places he can go other than Auburn even if he's not that great. There are what, 120 D-I schools? How many D-II & D-III schools are there? Lots of opportunity for a former Baylor OC

1 minute ago, selias said:

One reason Kendall would want to come is to prove himself at a program like Auburn.  The OC has to have enough confidence in himself to know he can turn this situation into a top 10 program.  Auburn wouldn't want an OC if they thought he would fail.  The key is the PTB must assure the new OC that he will be able to do his job.

Gus has to understand this is his last chance at righting the ship and to sit on his hands when the play calling happens during games.  Gus will help game plan because he is the HC and does a good job of the initial scripted plays, but after that, when adjustments are needed, he needs to keep his thoughts to himself.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I will say this:  if I were AD my next conversation with Gus would begin thusly:

"Gus, we're giving you another year to get this turned around, but if you ever line up Chandler Cox at QB and don't audible out of it before the snap again, I will fire you one second after the clock turns zero in that game.  I will literally send an intern to pack up your office that second and you can pick up your s*** on the way home.  I think that a combination of injuries and you being too enamored with trickery and cutesy concepts kept us from being 10-2 this year.  Hire the best OC you can get and let him do his job.  You're the head coach, not a coordinator anymore.  Do we understand each other?"

Why isn't this guy our AD?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

One reason Kendall would want to come is to prove himself at a program like Auburn.  The OC has to have enough confidence in himself to know he can turn this situation into a top 10 program.  Auburn wouldn't want an OC if they thought he would fail.  The key is the PTB must assure the new OC that he will be able to do his job.

Gus has to understand this is his last chance at righting the ship and to sit on his hands when the play calling happens during games.  Gus will help game plan because he is the HC and does a good job of the initial scripted plays, but after that, when adjustments are needed, he needs to keep his thoughts to himself.

That would be the ideal situation. I just don't have any faith that Gus will let an OC really be the coordinator

Just now, selias said:

There are plenty of places he can go other than Auburn even if he's not that great. There are what, 120 D-I schools? How many D-II & D-III schools are there? Lots of opportunity for a former Baylor OC

He's at Baylor now.  That's a Power 5 conference school.  If he's not that great, that takes over half the 120 off the list right away.  He's not going to step down if he doesn't have to and certainly not down to a DII or III school.

Then there's the issue of who runs the offense he's good at and isn't a league doormat (sorry Vandys of the world).  That eliminates about half of the Power 5 teams.  Then there's the issue of how many of those would even have openings.  

In the end, a minimum of a year at Auburn with a decent chance you can really turn it around bringing Stidham with you isn't really much of a risk.

1 minute ago, selias said:

That would be the ideal situation. I just don't have any faith that Gus will let an OC really be the coordinator

One can only hope Gus sees the light.  He really doesn't have any other choice.  I was hoping last year CRL would get another job, but no.  This year it seems CRL has to go, followed by Gus next year if he is still the "HC/OC".

49 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Unless you're actually good and the PTB convince Gus to let his OC do his job.  Then you've just stepped into an SEC contender, bringing a 5-star QB with you and, unlike Baylor, one that has a legit defense to back you up.

I thought the PTB told Gus to step the hell away from the offense back in September after the first few games?  I remember Gus saying he was stepping away and taking on more of a CEO role, let Rhett sink of swim on his own.:dunno: 

I get confused with the flip flopping,  after last season Gus said he wasn't a CEO type guy and he was planning to get more hands on and involved in doing what he does best...."coach football".  Then he hires "his men that he can trust"......Then he trots out that offensive scheme vs Clemson with the weird whirlybird crap and a couple of weeks later Gus says he realized he needs to back off and take on a CEO role and let his coaches coach.  Now some folks say he got right back into the thick of the offensive game planning and decision making in the Vandy game and never relinquished his hold on the offense.

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think Lashlee is a very good offensive coordinator if he's allowed to do his job.  And yes, I think if we didn't get injured we're 9-3 easily.  We'd beat UGA by 20.  If Lashlee had been the coordinator Game One this year, we don't see that rotating QB circus against Clemson and likely pull that one out too and are 10-2.  And frankly, who knows what a non-schizo gameplan vs A&M results in?

I think as long as Briles isn't caught up in any NCAA stuff himself, he's the most likely successor to Lashlee.  And yes, I think he'll be more willing to speak up to Gus.  Briles knows he can get a job anywhere regardless of Gus.  He's already proven himself outside of his mentor.  Rhett hasn't.

Don't know how you can say there'd have been no QB circus if Gilligan were calling the shots.  The circus traveled to T-Town last weekend. 

The "I've been meddling.  It's Rhett's show now" is hokum.  You really think anything has changed?  The only thing changed is the % of blame that can be placed on Rhett's shoulders.  How can you fall for that?

Kirby Smart has Gus' number.  And we seem to have used up all our miracle minutes.

Let's be honest.  Rhett and Gus together are utterly unable to grasp the Quarterback concept.  Are they in touch with Stidham or are they too busy looking for JC "athletes" to play "Runner Under Center".  And don't forget that neither can they be troubled to remember that TEs are eligible receivers. 

What you do have working in favor of the Briles aquisition:  Gus will recruit Kendall with everything he's got if it means more years at the trough.

It's hard for me to believe that we didn't have a Plan B for quarterback. White goes down and we have nothing, not many other teams out there don't a backup who can come in and play when injuries occur. Very frustrating to say the least. Maybe GM should watch Wisconsin play and see how they are able to rotate a two qb system. I hate waiting for football season to get here hoping it will be different and then it's not. Defense is definitely our bright spot this year, but our offense needs a make over. Just my .02. WDE

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

I thought the PTB told Gus to step the hell away from the offense back in September after the first few games?  I remember Gus saying he was stepping away and taking on more of a CEO role, let Rhett sink of swim on his own.:dunno: 

I get confused with the flip flopping,  after last season Gus said he wasn't a CEO type guy and he was planning to get more hands on and involved in doing what he does best...."coach football".  Then he hires "his men that he can trust"......Then he trots out that offensive scheme vs Clemson with the weird whirlybird crap and a couple of weeks later Gus says he realized he needs to back off and take on a CEO role and let his coaches coach.  Now some folks say he got right back into the thick of the offensive game planning and decision making in the Vandy game and never relinquished his hold on the offense.

I think I see your problem.  Your memory is too long. 

Please adjust your Maximum Football Memory setting to 'Days=4'.  Your cognitive dissonance symptoms should abate within 4 days.  I think you'll find yourself to be more popular here on these forums as a result.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

"Gus, we're giving you another year to get this turned around, but if you ever line up Chandler Cox at QB and don't audible out of it before the snap again, I will fire you one second after the clock turns zero in that game.  I will literally send an intern to pack up your office that second and you can pick up your s*** on the way home.

That would be awesome!  And I'd love to see the look on GM's face as the AD was saying that.

Unless you're actually good and the PTB convince Gus to let his OC do his job.  Then you've just stepped into an SEC contender, bringing a 5-star QB with you and, unlike Baylor, one that has a legit defense to back you up.

I agree with this statement. Briles would def. breathe some life into our passing game; he is def. a better solution to our problem than Lashlee b/c Lashlee is too much under the influence of Gus in several ways. If and only if Gus would let him completely run the offense without overruling him. If Gus has more intelligence than pride, he will realize that he needs to be the HC and let both coordinators run the offense and defense with little or no interference from him. He could sit back and reap the benefits from this, and we would be in excellent shape going forward.. I lean toward doubting that he is able to do this though.

Don't forget lashlee was the OC at Samford; not exactly the big leagues, but he was under Pat Sullivan for a couple of years.

Archived