Everybody had Enough?

mom2kid

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Look, we have Gus for another year no matter who we hire.  Name me an offensive coordinator we can actually get that you think will be more successful.  If your goal is to just hire someone that will limp along so Gus will get fired, that's not a criteria I'm interested in.

If Gus gets a new OC, it should be someone who would run a simlar offense.  Anyone who comes here is going to fail under CGM unless the O is very Gus-like because, let's face it, like all geniuses, Gus just knows better

You heard it here first -> Gus is going to promote Hand to the position because Hand will do what he's told and because nobody else wants to come.  

I'd rather Briles come here with a new staff after Gus is gone.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AURealist said:

If Gus gets a new OC, it should be someone who would run a simlar offense.  Anyone who comes here is going to fail under CGM unless the O is very Gus-like because, let's face it, like all geniuses, Gus just knows better

You heard it here first -> Gus is going to promote Hand to the position because Hand will do what he's told and because nobody else wants to come.  

I'd rather Briles come here with a new staff after Gus is gone.

So basically you hope we don't get the best possible hire for the position so that Gus will be gone.

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Well while your at it go ahead and complain about taxes and the weather turning cold. Look I agree that Gus is going to have to improve and if he doesn't i'll be calling for his head next season along with everyone else. I could even go along with the idea that he needs to go this season. But he isn't going anywhere right now so complaining about it for the next 12 months isn't getting you very much in return. I don't know how much all the complaining from posters on this site will effect recruiting but I know for a fact it isn't going to help anything so why do it?

Because:

-it's only November

- We lose Lawson, Adams, Holsey, Lawrence, Swain, and Ford on our season saving defense. What is Gus going to do when his safety net isn't near as tight? 

-Negative recruiting will become deafening-  the whispers of defenses catching on to Gus's offense and Gus's instability will become a thorn in our recruiting efforts. 

- We scored two damn TDs against 4 good teams. That should never happen. Didn't even happen in 2012.

-No sign that Gus will ever offer real change to his philosophies.

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Kinda wish we would get Derek Mason from Vanderbilt. He coaches with intensity.

All Derek Mason would need is a good OC/QB coach to succeed at Auburn.  He had Vandy believing they could win at Auburn and almost pulled it off.  I was impressed with the way their offense came to play at JHS, their QB was in the zone and, by his expression after he threw the last pick, he truly thought they had a chance for victory.

If they had scored on their last drive they might have won in OT.  Our QB was hurt, the leading rusher in the SEC and our #2 back were hurt and they had the MO.  Close game.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

All Derek Mason would need is a good OC/QB coach to succeed at Auburn.  He had Vandy believing they could win at Auburn and almost pulled it off.  I was impressed with the way their offense came to play at JHS, their QB was in the zone and, by his expression after he threw the last pick, he truly thought they had a chance for victory.

If they had scored on their last drive they might have won in OT.  Our QB was hurt, the leading rusher in the SEC and our #2 back were hurt and they has the MO.  Close game.

So basically you hope we don't get the best possible hire for the position so that Gus will be gone.

No. 

I'm saying Briles is not the best hire because I don't think he'll want to run a high school offense Gus' way, so he isn't an offensive coordinator we can actually get because he's not coming here even if we ask.  Herb Hand is the only one who will want to run things Gus' way and Gus will love that.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No. 

I'm saying Briles is not the best hire because I don't think he'll want to run a high school offense Gus' way, so he isn't an offensive coordinator we can actually get because he's not coming here even if we ask.  Herb Hand is the only one who will want to run things Gus' way and Gus will love that.

I can't make heads or tails of that reasoning, but ok.

I think Gus's relationship with the Briles (dad and son) says different and I think he will basically be told by the PTB that he's to hire an OC and let him run it unencumbered by Gus's meddling.  Right now, Briles seems like the best candidate out there not only on the merits of his resume, but on the Stidham factor as well.

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not saying he's not a good coach.  I'm just saying that 6-6 in the SEC East isn't enough for me to decide I want to hire the guy.  Replace UT (2nd in the East) with LSU (3rd in the West) and they are 5-7.  Replace UGA with A&M or Arkansas, and I think it's highly likely they are 4-8.

Show me another step forward next season and we can talk.

This works out great, Gus will have at least another year and Mason will be able to convince you, or not.  I'll be interested to see how he does in 2017 with what he has returning for that season.  Mason's job was teetering a season ago and the way they started this year, I though he was done.  After their bye week they showed great improvement and played as a team.

Impressive year for Mason.

Some of this is a bit ridiculous...I just saw an offense that was progressing just fine up until when SW and KAM got hurt. You can gripe about the lack of prepared depth behind them, i get that especially in case of the QB. Gus and his HS offense has broken many records and was in the top of most statistical categories. This was done with a first year RB and probably the least athletically gifted QB in the SEC. So you want to replace him with Derek Mason? Why because SW and KAM got hurt? Fact is the offense was looking great prior to those injuries. Some of you need to wake up from the dream of Gus hiring and OC and getting out of the way. Name one offensive minded coach you know of who has ever done that....it ain't happening.

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Some of this is a bit ridiculous...I just saw an offense that was progressing just fine up until when SW and KAM got hurt. You can gripe about the lack of prepared depth behind them, i get that especially in case of the QB. Gus and his HS offense has broken many records and was in the top of most statistical categories. This was done with a first year RB and probably the least athletically gifted QB in the SEC. So you want to replace him with Derek Mason? Why because SW and KAM got hurt? Fact is the offense was looking great prior to those injuries. Some of you need to wake up from the dream of Gus hiring and OC and getting out of the way. Name one offensive minded coach you know of who has ever done that....it ain't happening.

Agree to disagree. I saw an offense that was getting by and beating teams it should beat with superior talent. Even with a healthy SW and the streak we were on i didn't feel like we had enough of what's needed to beat a solid Bama team b/c we still were unable to stretch the field with SW. We simply ran all over most of those teams with pretty weak defenses. That alone wasn't going to work against Bama or a team like Ohio St. IMO. Gus isn't going anywhere but the fact that we had no resemblance of an actual offense isn't acceptable..injuries or not. I think many understand that when you lose your starter that yes it's going to be an uphill battle to win against a team like Bama but at the same time it's no excuse for looking completely lost on offense. 

I can't make heads or tails of that reasoning, but ok.

I think Gus's relationship with the Briles' says different and I think he will basically be told by the PTB that he's to hire an OC and let him run it unencumbered by Gus's meddling.  Right now, Briles seems like the best candidate out there not only on the merits of his resume, but on the Stidham factor as well.

Is Gus' relationship with Art or Kendall?

Not convinced Briles is great.

Since when has anybody telling Gus anything ever changed anything?  Gus will just nod his head at the PTB, continue to take the money and do whatever he wants. 

Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM.  If he's as smart as you think he is, he's not coming to Auburn.

On 11/26/2016 at 7:04 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Hey. The enemy here is Alabama. We were the walking wounded. Our players played their guts out. We did not have a QB this year. Period. Quit badmouthing your own team or we won't be able to recruit one. My 2 cents...

The problem is that GUS didn't take the chance earlier in the year when we were beating some teams silly in putting JF3 in the game and developing his passing skills.  He instead ran the ball 95% of the time and didn't let ANY QB get any development.  I don't know how you expect any QB to get better if you don't give them live game reps to go through progressions and to feel the game speed.

In the ULM game, he only put JF3 in for 1 pass attempt... now I won't complain too much as I think the 17 pass attempts by SW were needed to help develop him first, but at some point JF3 should have been tossing the crap out the ball too.

In the Arky game.... SW only had 11 attempts, which isn't enough to get any development and again JF3 only had 1 pass attempt... why in the hell was he not chunking that rock all over the yard to try and develop some passing chemistry.

In the AAMU game... we only played JJ in the passing game, and where I am glad we got him a win and 19 passes to help develop... we got nothing for JF3 and the reality is that JJ was not going to be the threat JF3 is if JF3 could develop some passing consistency.  JF3 was the effective backup at that time because SW was out... and we did absolutely nothing to try to help develop him.

My issue with Gus, isn't as much the play calling (I think that is an issue too), but rather with the lack of forethought to develop these kids in case we need to actually need to use their arm to win a game.  He doesn't seem to have the experience to understand the need to take those opportunities to do stuff like that.  I don't expect that we would have beating uat, but at least we would have been less of a joke on the field.  I'm completely embarrassed by the performance of the offense Saturday vs uat and uga... and I don't really think it's those kids fault... I don't think our coaches have put them into the situations to develop them and allow them to perform to the level they should be.  Just My Opinion... now I'll shut the heck up. 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Is Gus' relationship with Art or Kendall?

Both.

Not convinced Briles is great.

I'm not sure what else could convince you someone is great.  It's baffling to me to see his deep involvement in that offense's success, even with QB defections and injuries and even without Pop around this season and have someone go, "meh."

Since when has anybody telling Gus anything ever changed anything?  Gus will just nod his head at the PTB, continue to take the money and do whatever he wants. 

Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM.  If he's as smart as you think he is, he's not coming to Auburn.

So on the one hand Kendall isn't that great and we shouldn't bother but on the other he's too good to work for Gus.  Weird.

I wish we could get Briles but i'm just not confident we can. But i'd sure as heck be happy if we could. The only way i'd come to Auburn if i'm Kendal is if i had full control. If Gus is forced to hire someone i'd expect him to go after candidates like: Eli Drinkwitz or Chip Lindsey. Neither have much experience and Eli could turn out to be only a minor upgrade from Rhett considering he's a Gus disciple. If we can get someone more experienced that would come..i'm all for it but in a make it or break it year for Gus next year..we may be limited.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

o on the one hand Kendall isn't that great and we shouldn't bother but on the other he's too good to work for Gus.  Weird.

That isn't what he is saying. He is implying that Gus is a sinking ship and it would be dumb for anybody worth their weight to hop on board right now. We faced this same issue last year on the defensive side of the ball.

Both.

I'm not sure what else could convince you someone is great.  It's baffling to me to see his deep involvement in that offense's success, even with QB defections and injuries and even without Pop around this season and have someone go, "meh."

So on the one hand Kendall isn't that great and we shouldn't bother but on the other he's too good to work for Gus.  Weird.

Auburn is 2nd in the SEC West this year and we've set some records.  We've had some injuries, though.  Rhett Lashley must be great, so why are we even considering getting rid of him?

Kendall Briles can be smart career-wise even without being a great coach.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

That isn't what he is saying. He is implying that Gus is a sinking ship and it would be dumb for anybody worth their weight to hop on board right now. We faced this same issue last year on the defensive side of the ball.

But it is what he's saying.  "Not convinced Briles is great" and "Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM."

Pretty much exactly what I just said.

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree to disagree. I saw an offense that was getting by and beating teams it should beat with superior talent. Even with a healthy SW and the streak we were on i didn't feel like we had enough of what's needed to beat a solid Bama team b/c we still were unable to stretch the field with SW. We simply ran all over most of those teams with pretty weak defenses. That alone wasn't going to work against Bama or a team like Ohio St. IMO. Gus isn't going anywhere but the fact that we had no resemblance of an actual offense isn't acceptable..injuries or not. I think many understand that when you lose your starter that yes it's going to be an uphill battle to win against a team like Bama but at the same time it's no excuse for looking completely lost on offense. 

Yep, we beat some weak run defenses on that 6 game winning streak. The only team we beat with an outstanding defense this year is LSU, and if they had an offense at the time, we would have lost to them b/c we couldn't do anything but kick fg's. We need an offense which is not heavily relying on the run 1st. We need an OC who knows how to balance the O with a legit passing game, and Gus is going to have to give up the offensive reigns, if we are going to beat the big boys like the ones we lost to this year.

Just now, AURealist said:

Auburn is 2nd in the SEC West this year and we've set some records.  We've had some injuries, though.  Rhett Lashley must be great, so why are we even considering getting rid of him?

Partly because we want a fresh set of eyes - someone not in Malzahn's coaching tree - to come in.  Rhett sees Gus as too much of a mentor/father figure to assert himself enough in the process.  

And secondly, because I think Briles will bring passing game improvements to the mix and give us the best shot at signing Stidham.

But it is what he's saying.  "Not convinced Briles is great" and "Kendall would be a fool to work under CGM."

Pretty much exactly what I just said.

Anybody would be a fool to come coach Gus's offense right now. The good OC's and the bad ones. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Anybody would be a fool to come coach Gus's offense right now. The good OC's and the bad ones. 

Unless you're actually good and the PTB convince Gus to let his OC do his job.  Then you've just stepped into an SEC contender, bringing a 5-star QB with you and, unlike Baylor, one that has a legit defense to back you up.

33 minutes ago, AURealist said:

No. 

i would bet money that you are 100% correct and thats why the coach whirlybird needs his goofy ass let go  T O D A Y !!!!!!!! he is a know it all,arrogant, stubborn and egotistical and when you add all of that together you get "intellectual stupidity"......in his case, borderline insanity

Just now, tombigbeetiger said:

i would bet money that you are 100% correct and thats why the coach whirlybird needs his goofy ass let go  T O D A Y !!!!!!!! he is a know it all,arrogant, stubborn and egotistical and when you add all of that together you get "intellectual stupidity"......in his case, borderline insanity

Yeah, that's not happening, so let's try and discuss things that might actually occur.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well i'm hoping for 1 of those good OC to be a fool right now. I mean we do pay good so that's a positive :big:

ok, I have a question, or really a series of questions?

1.  Do we really want the AD telling the head coach how to select his staff?  Gus is paid very well to make those decisions.  If he cannot make those decisions, what type of CEO can he be?

2.  If Gus is told to relinquish control of the offense, what real value does he bring to the program?  Gus knows little about the defensive side of the ball (or that is how it appears).  Gus is not an accomplished recruiter (from what insiders seem to think).  Gus is not a master technician or game coach (my opinion, but I think his record as a HC bears this out).

3.  So other than financial reasons, is there a real reason to keep Gus?

Archived