Everybody had Enough?

mom2kid

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

He made $4.35 million 2016 and in 2017 will make $4.6 million.

Maybe when he hits the $5 mil mark, the offense will return. :dunno:

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AuburnGrad97 said:

Not if you promote Kevin Steele to head coach, and bring in the younger Briles  as OC.  I love Coach Steele's defense, and want him to stay.  without him, we lose 2-3 more games this year.

Ok.  Please remind enlighten me of what Steele has accomplished as a head coach and I might be willing to jump on board.  

Let's be honest here, Gus has known that SW wasn't going to be able to play today. In this instance, where your plan A is completely discombobulated, why not spend all week coming up with an unexpected Plan B? Isn't that what Vandy did against AU? Since the GA game, AU has had nothing to lose essentially. With those two factors at hand, why not try something different? Starting JJ last week was nice and all, but John Franklin should have started from the first snap and stayed in until the last and we all know it. Without SW, JF3 getting into a groove and having a good game was AU's only chance. We saw in a few games earlier this year that JF3 could throw a nice deep pass. Why not try to dabble in that? Kamryn Pettway is by far AU's best guy in the back field but he was also playing against arguably the most stout interior line in college football, we all knew running him up the middle was not the answer, so why not dabble in Kam Martin's speed? When JF3 runs the hurry up offense,  the time between plays drops to around 6 seconds, get a six second offense rolling even in the slightest and you'll be able to move the ball based off pure speed. I'm not saying that JF3 is an answer at the QB positions, I'm just saying he is an option that could have been utilized in this particular instance because why not? It seems to me that Gus designed a game plan based on hanging in there with Alabama instead of designing one based on beating them and that's the worst way to lose in my opinion. If I can sit on my couch at home and call the next play Auburn is going to run based on situational analysis, chances are Alabama can too. 

10 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Let's be honest here, Gus has known that SW wasn't going to be able to play today. In this instance, where your plan A is completely discombobulated, why not spend all week coming up with an unexpected Plan B? Isn't that what Vandy did against AU? Since the GA game, AU has had nothing to lose essentially. With those two factors at hand, why not try something different? Starting JJ last week was nice and all, but John Franklin should have started from the first snap and stayed in until the last and we all know it. Without SW, JF3 getting into a groove and having a good game was AU's only chance. We saw in a few games earlier this year that JF3 could throw a nice deep pass. Why not try to dabble in that? Kamryn Pettway is by far AU's best guy in the back field but he was also playing against arguably the most stout interior line in college football, we all knew running him up the middle was not the answer, so why not dabble in Kam Martin's speed? When JF3 runs the hurry up offense,  the time between plays drops to around 6 seconds, get a six second offense rolling even in the slightest and you'll be able to move the ball based off pure speed. I'm not saying that JF3 is an answer at the QB positions, I'm just saying he is an option that could have been utilized in this particular instance because why not? It seems to me that Gus designed a game plan based on hanging in there with Alabama instead of designing one based on beating them and that's the worst way to lose in my opinion. If I can sit on my couch at home and call the next play Auburn is going to run based on situational analysis, chances are Alabama can too. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. ?? I am out of likes, but I want to like this a million times. 

23 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Ok.  Please remind enlighten me of what Steele has accomplished as a head coach and I might be willing to jump on board.  

My answer was to the question of how to change coaches without massive buyouts.  Promoting coach Steele keeps half the staff intact (the half that actually earned their paychecks).  Add the high-powered Briles offense to Coach Steele's stout defense, and we have a recipe for greatness.  that's just my opinion, though.

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Let's see, Jeremy was given all the chance in the world and could not perform at the level needed. Sean is/was injury prone, but not a bad QB. Gus got the QB he wanted in Woody Barrett, but he did not make the grades to get to Auburn for spring practice, so he wasn't ready this fall. JF3 was brought in because the coaches knew they had all these issues and they wanted some kind of experienced QB, in case the others didn't pan out. How is any of that the coaches fault? Can you get a Jeremy ready? How? Send him to a sports psychologist, I guess. :dunno: What can coaches do to keep Sean from getting hurt or to make Woody get to Auburn in the spring? JF3 was evidently not trustworthy with the passing, but I agree he really didn't have much of a chance in the games. They KNEW they had QB problems from the start. They weren't unaware, like so many people want to think. That's why we were scratching our heads at the Clemson game. So, the coaches planned around all these kids' weaknesses and tried to keep from putting them in positions that they could not succeed. It backfired on them, and it was screwy, I will agree with that. The coaches were most successful when they put their trust in one guy, but he got hurt. Again. QB position stunk this year, and not because of the efforts of the kids, they all gave everything they had, but because all the crazy plays were built around trying to make up for a lack of consistency at that position. I just don't know what further they could have done to solve the problem. And exactly when should they have anticipated this problem? Last recruiting season, everybody wanted Woody and we got him. Jeremy and Sean were highly ranked recruits. JF3 was a last minute "fix".

I think every thing falls into place with great QB play. We just didn't have the personnel for that this year. Each of our QBs had some kind of issue. If we could have merged them into one, no one could have stopped us. Period. Even with our running back issues, I think we would have won all of our games. This whole season all boiled down to the QB position.

It's on the coaches because they offered JF3 over Jerrod Evans. 

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

You mean a great QB like Nick Marshal?  You know, Nick Marshall who returned for his senior season and we went...wait for it...8-5!!!! 
Yep, yall are right, all we need is a QB...smh

To be fair, we didn't have anything close to this defense in 2014. If we have this defense we probably win it all in both 2013 and 2014.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol O GAH! we are heading to those days if something does not change soon.....

Reminds me more of the "tater tot" days. Huge initial success followed by an ok 2nd year, then it all fell apart...

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

But the masses think a total reset solves everything.   They're thinking irrationally and don't realize that LSU, a premiere program, had to settle for Orgeron because of a shallow pool of available candidates.  While I'm as upset as anyone, we don't have to hire an Orgeron to go 8-5 next season.  I say give Gus one more season with a different OC/QB coach and then cut him loose if there's no improvement.  Gus is one of the few coaches that's beaten Saban twice.  

One more thing, for all of those that wanted Petrino, he's choked royally with a QB that has Heisman potential so you can remove him from consideration. 

On the down side, there will probably be close to 30 jobs open next season, so everyone and their brother will be looking...it will probably be a massive coaching carousel. 

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

@Tigercj, thanks for your measured response. I understand, I am not "happy". having lost to our biggest rivals again. It sucks. I just feel like we had some bad breaks this year. I hope to God he fixes the QB situation. I hope the play calling will make more sense if he does. I am not a football/coaching expert by any means. I just tend to look for reasons for things and try not to knee-jerk in my reactions. I think I will bow out of this conversation, before I get eaten alive.  :blink:

Isn't this the EXACT SAME THING we said last season?

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Art was the brains of that outfit.  Baylor has begun the journey Oregon has been experiencing.  The sad slide to mediocrity.  If we aren't careful, we'll be meeting up with them for cheap beer and war stories.

While I totally agree. The fans here are blind to it. They don't see just how bad their beloved ducks are this season. I am amazed this hasn't gotten to anyone here...but it hasnt. The atmosphere is the same as during the peak of their success... it's strange.

27 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

and on strength and conditioning- im not certain i want us to look like uat, because things look a little too good to be true over there. 

In all honesty, I say let's get him here and find out. because we looked like we were a LA Monroe playing the Dallas Cowboys today. The physicality was world's different. 

But that's just part of it. I have been saying since the Ole Miss game our defense has looked tired. they did everything they could today though. it's a real shame this defense was wasted by such an inept offense. the offense couldn't get out of their own way tonight. but back on point, it's not just Bama that makes our guys look smaller. Georgia, Florida, LSU...even Ole Miss and that's just in conference...

1 minute ago, AuburnGrad97 said:

My answer was to the question of how to change coaches without massive buyouts.  Promoting coach Steele keeps half the staff intact (the half that actually earned their paychecks).  Add the high-powered Briles offense to Coach Steele's stout defense, and we have a recipe for greatness.  that's just my opinion, though.

Briles is way to hot right now for anyone to real consider hiring him. NCAA is sniffing around him to much as of now.

6 minutes ago, AuburnGrad97 said:

Well, LSU just promoted their DL coach, Ed Orgeron, to HC so it´s not that far-fetched. CGM was hired because of his supposed ¨offensive genius¨ which turned out to have been simply having Cam Newton in 2010. How did 2011 work out? CGM offensive approach is all smoke and mirrors and his bag of tricks is empty. We´re stuck with him for another year but our only hope is he hires someone who knows how to run an offense at this level.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To be fair, we didn't have anything close to this defense in 2014. If we have this defense we probably win it all in both 2013 and 2014.

Disagree. Our offense sputtered against MSU and UGA that year and had killer turnovers against A&M. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnGrad97 said:

While I respect your opinion, the issue that I have with Steele is that he's unproven as a head coach, the same as Gus was.  

I hate the way that the team has lost this season and I place most of the blame with the coaches for doing a better job of player evaluation and development, especially at QB.  There's no excuse for not having a plan B.  However, when I step back and look at the big picture, I see that the rest of the SEC coaches have faired no better than Gus has against Bama.  The same can be said nationally except for maybe Urban Meyer who isn't available and Bob Stoops who has choked away a few big games himself.  Someone mentioned James Franklin (who's never beaten Saban) in another thread, but I don't think Auburn could outbid PSU.  That's why I feel that it "may" be easier to fix the broken pieces with an upgrade at OC/QB coach.

18 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Disagree. Our offense sputtered against MSU and UGA that year and had killer turnovers against A&M. 

They sure did... however this defense saved us a number of games this year. although you should note, the offense as a whole sputtered the entire season save for a couple games, yet going into Georgia we were in control of our own destany...largely because of the defense. I stand by my statement.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

They sure did... however this defense saved us a number of games this year. although you should note, the offense as a whole sputtered the entire season save for a couple games, yet going into Georgia we were in control of our own destany...largely because of the defense. I stand by my statement.

I stand by mine.

5 hours ago, AU-Allen said:

Bama had several out... DO NOT BLAME INJURIES... That is a week cop out. 

It's been a problem for more than a week.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah right. Ranked 4th in total offense. Averaged 36.2 points per game, scored 34 or more 8 times and never scored under 22. 

Baylor had zero defense the second half of the year and played the last two and a half games with a freshman backup. 

Baylor may return to mediocrity, but it's not because the current offensive staff wasn't getting it done without Papa Briles. 

Art was the brains.  Time will tell.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will tell you exactly what I have had enough of: I have had enough of losing to our 2 biggest rivals and losing to 1 of them has 2 of their worst teams the last 2 years. 2 losses that were solely because of bad coaching. Both games we should of won. 

I have had enough of seeing Gus refusal to play our best players regardless of position but namely WR. Your telling me the little walk on rudy kid is going to put fear in that dynasty across the state? Get out of here.

I am tired of HORRIBLE just horrible QB recruiting under Gus and Rhett. How the heck can you not capitalize on the momentum Nick Marshall gave us at the QB position? AND on top of that playing the Cam card. Inexcusable. We swing and miss on our top targets repeatedly. Ever. single. year.

I am tired of BAD SO BAD player evaluations. Would we even know how good Kam Pettway is if jovon did not get kicked, roc did not leave the team and KJ getting banged up? I will say no. NOPE! gus wants to have him as the 2nd string blocking back. JUST BRILLIANT! So your telling me Jerod Evans who has VA TECH in the ACC title game next week and who has nearly 3k yards passing with 26 tds and I DO NOT EVEN KNOW what his rushing stats are was not good enough to being offered a scholly at AU?! NAH WERE GOOD BRUH! We got jf3! WOOOOOO!!!! Lashlee went and saw them play in person and came away wanting to extend the scholly to jf3 and not Evans!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That is a fireable offense right there. This is not just a 1 time thing. We slow played Lamar Jackson when  he could of been had if we put the full court press on. BUT NO!!!! Lets be satisfied with tyler queen as our lone qb recruit!!! Sean White is solid even really good at times but the staff wanted Brandon Harris more than him. THANK GOD he stayed in state. No telling how bad we would be with Brandon frickin Harris as our QB. 

I have had enough of it taking Gus the first month of a season trying to figure out what kind of team he wants to be for the year. WTF are you doing during spring and fall practice?? The icing on the cake was using CLEMSON!!! THE CLEMSON GAME a top 2 team as a try out for our starting QB position. That may be the single most embarrassing thing Gus has ever done but there is so many things up for this prestigious honor so hard to day.

I have had enough of Gus in game with NO adjustments. Good Lord have mercy. If his original plan works. GREAT! see arkansas and miss st game of how it can go. If it does not were in big trouble because that man has no idea how to fix it. He is incapable of making in game or half time adjustments. TIME AFTER TIME has proven that.

LIKE MANY people have said its not just that we lost its HOW!!! you can point to almost every loss in the gus era and chalk about 90% of them up to bad coaching. Rarely do we get outplayed. 

And lastly I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! of Gus AND rhett piss pour ability or inability WHATEVER to develop HS QBs. JEREMY WAS A COMPLETE and unequivocal bust!!!!!!!!! They put all their eggs in his basket and it literally set back the program for 2 years. Cannot wait to see how they ruin Woody next.......

Goodness I love ❤️ this post! It should be pinned for forever!

Against what I consider our 3 biggest rivals (LSU, UGA and UAT) we scored ONE touchdown this year.  Zero first downs in the 2nd half against UGA.  One first down in the first half today.  Where can I make $4 million a year and turn out that kind of product? Shoot, I'll only take a million.

3 hours ago, AubieAH3 said:

Y'all think Dabo would come to Auburn? 

???

My gosh, I hate what my life has become. 

Do you want the long answer or the short answer?

6 hours ago, AURealist said:

Art was the brains.  Time will tell.

Art may have been the unifying force, but it doesn't follow that his son couldn't be a great OC in his own right, especially considering how they did on offense this year after all the defections and the controversy around the program.

So overwhelmingly, AU fans conclude that GM/RL are in over their heads and are not at a competency level to coach Div 1 SEC football.  So the only reason people think they will not be fired is due to money.  So AU with no answer at QB and no faith in the coach's ability to develop QBs is to accept mediocrity and further damage to the program.  GM the offensive guru is not going to listen to a new OC no matter what.  He will not let a new OC especially one he has no personal relationship with take full control of evaluations, development, installing the system, game planning and play calling.  And frankly if GM is not experienced enough to be a head coach as many of you suggest, then what purpose does he serve if we do hand the offense over to a new coordinator? 

Unfortunately, I think what you see is what you get with Gus. Remember the old saying I think was referenced to one of our old coaches, "the definition of a loser is someone that will never own his own problems". That is Gus in a nutshell. It would be hard for him to ever improve under any circumstance because he can never see anything he did wrong. I was one of those that wanted Gus to comeback and kept believing he could make it work with a decent defense. I no longer believe that. I believe he is the problem. No matter who he gets at QB her will fail again next year and his excuse will be "injuries and lack of execution caused it". As a head coach you have to own it and fix it. You cannot always be "wait till next year or next game". We have to accept that as long as he is here AU football will not be all it can be. Of course there will be no change because Jacob has proved his lack of ability to do his job over the handling of Tubs, Chizik and now Gus. Hopefully a new president and maybe some new blood on the BOT and we can send Jacobs packing. Then and only then will we have any chance of securing a coach that can do well here. 

11 hours ago, AubieAH3 said:

Y'all think Dabo would come to Auburn? 

???

My gosh, I hate what my life has become. 

I hate to break this to you but Vandy's coach or UK's coach or even Mullens would have more success here than Gus with the talent that will come to AU. We don't have to have some great proven coach just one who has enough sense not to wreck everything like Gus does. I do hope whoever comes in next will not have success the first year. For some reason it cause the coach to go  absolutely crazy in year two (see Chizik and Gus). Let them just start with a 7 win season and a bowl game so they understand that every year you need to improve instead of sitting on that performance. I continue to hear from people that say" well they got us to the championship game". If you get there your first year as a HC you either inherited a great team or you were luckier than 20 rabbit feet. It is never because of the new HC. WDE 

I wonder how big of a raise Jacobs will give Malzahn this year. Jay gave Gus another year plus 250k after going 7-6 overall and 2-6 in the SEC for 2015.

Archived