Everybody had Enough?

mom2kid

The problem I see with JF3 is that he hands the ball off to much when running the read option. He needs to keep it more. It just seems like he is scared to get hit. At this point, he is our only option at QB. Johnson is done. He doesn't have the head to play QB on the college level. I am just assuming white's career is over. We got four weeks to heal and get ready for a bowl game. I hope it's the Sugar Bowl, but I do we really want this mess on primetime TV again.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, gctiger said:

While I respect your opinion, the issue that I have with Steele is that he's unproven as a head coach, the same as Gus was.  

I hate the way that the team has lost this season and I place most of the blame with the coaches for doing a better job of player evaluation and development, especially at QB.  There's no excuse for not having a plan B.  However, when I step back and look at the big picture, I see that the rest of the SEC coaches have faired no better than Gus has against Bama.  The same can be said nationally except for maybe Urban Meyer who isn't available and Bob Stoops who has choked away a few big games himself.  Someone mentioned James Franklin (who's never beaten Saban) in another thread, but I don't think Auburn could outbid PSU.  That's why I feel that it "may" be easier to fix the broken pieces with an upgrade at OC/QB coach.

Steele being unproven is why I think this may work.  Does anyone think that Gus will bring in a n all-world OC, and actually let him have total control of the offense and play calling????  I have no faith that he will, which will only frustrate whoever he brings in, causing them to quickly start looking for the 1st chance to jump ship. I believe Steele would allow an OC to run his side of the ball.  

We all know this isn't going to happen, though. Gus and Rhett will be back again, and our clown shoes offense will be back with them. Sad state of affairs on the Plains these days. "Wait until next year" is getting really, really old with this coaching staff.

12 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Let's be honest here, Gus has known that SW wasn't going to be able to play today. In this instance, where your plan A is completely discombobulated, why not spend all week coming up with an unexpected Plan B? Isn't that what Vandy did against AU? Since the GA game, AU has had nothing to lose essentially. With those two factors at hand, why not try something different? Starting JJ last week was nice and all, but John Franklin should have started from the first snap and stayed in until the last and we all know it. Without SW, JF3 getting into a groove and having a good game was AU's only chance. We saw in a few games earlier this year that JF3 could throw a nice deep pass. Why not try to dabble in that? Kamryn Pettway is by far AU's best guy in the back field but he was also playing against arguably the most stout interior line in college football, we all knew running him up the middle was not the answer, so why not dabble in Kam Martin's speed? When JF3 runs the hurry up offense,  the time between plays drops to around 6 seconds, get a six second offense rolling even in the slightest and you'll be able to move the ball based off pure speed. I'm not saying that JF3 is an answer at the QB positions, I'm just saying he is an option that could have been utilized in this particular instance because why not? It seems to me that Gus designed a game plan based on hanging in there with Alabama instead of designing one based on beating them and that's the worst way to lose in my opinion. If I can sit on my couch at home and call the next play Auburn is going to run based on situational analysis, chances are Alabama can too. 

How did Vandy come up with an "unexpected plan B?" I seem to remember some trickery with our coaching staff not telling anyone White was hurt and trotted JF3 out for the 1st half against Vandy. what is it that Vandy did against us that was unexpected  (besides sticking close in a game they had no business in, or Zac Cunningham becoming superman and leaping over the line....maybe the quick short passes?)

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

So overwhelmingly, AU fans conclude that GM/RL are in over their heads and are not at a competency level to coach Div 1 SEC football.  So the only reason people think they will not be fired is due to money.  So AU with no answer at QB and no faith in the coach's ability to develop QBs is to accept mediocrity and further damage to the program.  GM the offensive guru is not going to listen to a new OC no matter what.  He will not let a new OC especially one he has no personal relationship with take full control of evaluations, development, installing the system, game planning and play calling.  And frankly if GM is not experienced enough to be a head coach as many of you suggest, then what purpose does he serve if we do hand the offense over to a new coordinator? 

I don't know...being the head coach? I have long said that for him to mature as a head coach he needed a real OC/QB coach. did Gus take back over playcalling from Georgia out? if so, he should never call another play. get a real OC in here, one in which you don't have to be the head coach AND the OC. if not, Lashlee should never call another play, and should be fired before the bowl game. the coxcat should never be seen again. whoever called that should be immediately looking for a new job. whichever one it was.

47 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I hate to break this to you but Vandy's coach or UK's coach or even Mullens would have more success here than Gus with the talent that will come to AU. We don't have to have some great proven coach just one who has enough sense not to wreck everything like Gus does. I do hope whoever comes in next will not have success the first year. For some reason it cause the coach to go  absolutely crazy in year two (see Chizik and Gus). Let them just start with a 7 win season and a bowl game so they understand that every year you need to improve instead of sitting on that performance. I continue to hear from people that say" well they got us to the championship game". If you get there your first year as a HC you either inherited a great team or you were luckier than 20 rabbit feet. It is never because of the new HC. WDE 

I really wish there wasn't so much NCAA investigators sniffing around Ole Miss. I think Freeze could do exceptional here. with the talent he gets at Ole Miss, could you imagine what he could do here?

16 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

The problem I see with JF3 is that he hands the ball off to much when running the read option. He needs to keep it more. It just seems like he is scared to get hit. At this point, he is our only option at QB. Johnson is done. He doesn't have the head to play QB on the college level. I am just assuming white's career is over. We got four weeks to heal and get ready for a bowl game. I hope it's the Sugar Bowl, but I do we really want this mess on primetime TV again.

First, why are you assuming White has a career ending injury? I mean I get it that he doesn't have the ideal frame for the SEC, and I've always questioned if he could stay healthy. But that doesn't mean he is done for good...God, I hope not. if he is, we better pray Woody is Cam2.0.

Also, as much as I would love being in the sugar bowl, do you really want to be blown out in a bowl? I bet Steele is having nightmares of the West Virginia beatdown. we don't deserve to be in the sugar. and I personally hope we don't go there.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Also, as much as I would love being in the sugar bowl, do you really want to be blown out in a bowl? I bet Steele is having nightmares of the West Virginia beatdown. we don't deserve to be in the sugar. and I personally hope we don't go there.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this. After the last two games we are back where were at the end of last season, or lower. We are not playing on a Sugar Bowl level. Our offense is barely playing on a Birmingham Bowl level.

I just hate we wasted Montravious, Carl, and Rudy's final season with us and wasted a whole year of eligibility with the Freshmen WR's. 

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

and wasted a whole year of eligibility with the Freshmen WR's. 

Seriously.  That's got to hurt us in recruiting future receivers too.

Gus needs to go now.  It is not our record that bothers me.  It is the stupid game plans the QB shuffle, and the lack of development.  

23 hours ago, AubieAH3 said:

Y'all think Dabo would come to Auburn? 

???

My gosh, I hate what my life has become. 

Don't feel too bad...honestly, Dabo would be a perfect faith-fit for Auburn, and we know he can coach.  It's just his Bammer allegiance and a few smug comments over time (he's unfortunately in good company there)...for now, I truly hope Gus will mature in his ability to assess and adapt.  It would be so easy to be behind him if we could see the fruit of beneficial changes.  Good teachers HAVE to assess their students' strengths and weaknesses, make a plan to accelerate or remedy them, and for heaven's sake, SCRAP THE PLAN and adapt on the fly when need be...ESPECIALLY when they "don't execute."  

On 11/27/2016 at 7:41 AM, TitanTiger said:

Art may have been the unifying force, but it doesn't follow that his son couldn't be a great OC in his own right, especially considering how they did on offense this year after all the defections and the controversy around the program.

Kendall could be good without Pop.  I just don't think we know that yet.  I think Baylor is heading for a rough patch and Kendall will most likely be coaching somewhere else in the near future. 

Considering all posibilities, but not at all certain I would welcome another coaching experiment at AU at this time.  Of course, we're nuts, so we might just decide to 'incentivise' better coaching here by giving Skipper and Little Buddy huge raises and life-time coaching contracts...  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Kendall could be good without Pop.  I just don't think we know that yet.  I think Baylor is heading for a rough patch and Kendall will most likely be coaching somewhere else in the near future. 

But actually I think we kinda do.  He was without Pop this year.  And without the QB that started most of the season last year.  And then the starter he had this year got injured.  Yet Baylor's offense kept humming right along.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Considering all posibilities, but not at all certain I would welcome another coaching experiment at AU at this time.  Of course, we're nuts, so we might just decide to 'incentivise' better coaching here by giving Skipper and Little Buddy huge raises and life-time coaching contracts...  

I don't see it as much of an experiment.  He's been a WR coach and passing game coordinator for 6 seasons and the offensive coordinator and QB coach for the past two with excellent results, even through losing his top two QBs and his father's firing.  I'm not sure what else you'd need to see in terms of job performance.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Kinda wish we would get Derek Mason from Vanderbilt. He coaches with intensity.

I'd like to see more than just 6-6 at Vandy, especially considering he inherited a program that had gone 9-4 the two preceding seasons before he got there.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd like to see more than just 6-6 at Vandy, especially considering he inherited a program that had gone 9-4 the two preceding seasons before he got there.

Program was still pretty bare when he got there. Plus Franklin took all of vandys recruits shooting Vandy out of the top 75 in recruiting.

6-6 in the SEC with their talent is like 11-3 with our talent. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But actually I think we kinda do.  He was without Pop this year.  And without the QB that started most of the season last year.  And then the starter he had this year got injured.  Yet Baylor's offense kept humming right along.

I don't see it as much of an experiment.  He's been a WR coach and passing game coordinator for 6 seasons and the offensive coordinator and QB coach for the past two with excellent results, even through losing his top two QBs and his father's firing.  I'm not sure what else you'd need to see in terms of job performance.

The experiment would include keeping Gus another how many years?  You know I've never been on the Bus.  And I don't think Gus will allow anyone to run anything but Desperation Turtle.  IMO, bringing in Briles will just prolong the agony at AU.  Briles would be smarter to take an OC position for a better coach.

Gus will be our coach next year so everyone needs to cut out the fire Gus crap. It does absolutely no good for anyone. Lets all hope he makes the needed changes and if not i'm sure we'll have plenty of time to talk about firing him next year

Just now, gravejd said:

Gus will be our coach next year so everyone needs to cut out the fire Gus crap

We have had plenty of time to talk about firing him already. Do you remember when he was on the hot seat to start the year? I'm not going to stop just because you tell me to stop either. Gus deserves to be fired and the only reason why he will probably stay is because we can't upgrade with any available coaches left on the market. And that's not a compliment to Gus either.

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Program was still pretty bare when he got there. Plus Franklin took all of vandys recruits shooting Vandy out of the top 75 in recruiting.

6-6 in the SEC with their talent is like 11-3 with our talent. 

6-6 in the SEC East is like 3-9 in the SEC West.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We have had plenty of time to talk about firing him already. Do you remember when he was on the hot seat to start the year? I'm not going to stop just because you tell me to stop either. Gus deserves to be fired and the only reason why he will probably stay is because we can't upgrade with any available coaches left on the market. And that's not a compliment to Gus either.

Well while your at it go ahead and complain about taxes and the weather turning cold. Look I agree that Gus is going to have to improve and if he doesn't i'll be calling for his head next season along with everyone else. I could even go along with the idea that he needs to go this season. But he isn't going anywhere right now so complaining about it for the next 12 months isn't getting you very much in return. I don't know how much all the complaining from posters on this site will effect recruiting but I know for a fact it isn't going to help anything so why do it?

21 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The experiment would include keeping Gus another how many years?  You know I've never been on the Bus.  And I don't think Gus will allow anyone to run anything but Desperation Turtle.  IMO, bringing in Briles will just prolong the agony at AU.  Briles would be smarter to take an OC position for a better coach.

Look, we have Gus for another year no matter who we hire.  Name me an offensive coordinator we can actually get that you think will be more successful.  If your goal is to just hire someone that will limp along so Gus will get fired, that's not a criteria I'm interested in.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

6-6 in the SEC East is like 3-9 in the SEC West.

That explains why the second or third best Georgia team has kicked our ass 9 out of 11 years. 

Face it. Mason has the least amount of talent among the SEC but he coaches his players up above their recruiting ratings. Other coaches, ahem!!!!, cannot coach a team perennially in the top ten. 

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Look, we have Gus for another year no matter who we hire.  Name me an offensive coordinator we can actually get that you think will be more successful.  If your goal is to just hire someone that will limp along so Gus will get fired, that's not a criteria I'm interested in.

Don't want to speak for him, but I think it's his fear that KB might improve the offense just enough to keep GM around for more than another year, but not improve it enough to get us over the hump in the long run.  i.e. he would be a short term band aid fix but the real problem would resurface once he moves on or GM starts to meddle in the offense again.

I think he'd be a good choice especially if he brings Stidham with him.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

That explains why the second or third best Georgia team has kicked our ass 9 out of 11 years. 

Face it. Mason has the least amount of talent among the SEC but he coaches his players up above their recruiting ratings. Other coaches, ahem!!!!, cannot coach a team perennially in the top ten. 

I'm not saying he's not a good coach.  I'm just saying that 6-6 in the SEC East isn't enough for me to decide I want to hire the guy.  Replace UT (2nd in the East) with LSU (3rd in the West) and they are 5-7.  Replace UGA with A&M or Arkansas, and I think it's highly likely they are 4-8.

Show me another step forward next season and we can talk.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Don't want to speak for him, but I think it's his fear that KB might improve the offense just enough to keep GM around for more than another year, but not improve it enough to get us over the hump in the long run.  i.e. he would be a short term band aid fix but the real problem would resurface once he moves on or GM starts to meddle in the offense again.

I think he'd be a good choice especially if he brings Stidham with him.

I'm just struggling to come up with another option that will be so much better than Briles.  Unless you're hoping for mediocrity so Gus gets fired, name me another realistic candidate that you think has proven to be significantly better.

Archived