Looking on to 2017 (Merged)

WDE_OxPx_2010

12 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Guys, guys, guys...y'all are talking over all the wrong things...whats the feel-good slogan for next year's team gonna be!!!!????  That's what the real motivator is...

Auburn Football 2017: "We're really...REALLY close to being a good football team, really."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Sorry, but there is no way in hell even a developed serviceable backup quarterback quarterback beats that Oklahoma team.  Not gonna happen, hence my comment on lack of rational thinking on the part of  a lot of posters in here.

I get your drift, but will remind you that this is the second year in a row we have had a scrappy weak armed QB that can't make it through a complete season, and have no viable alternative once he goes down.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

That ship has sailed. I, however would be shocked to see a defense look that lost under TT.

His Cincy defenses aren't/weren't anything special

Fist step if Rhett is not let go, he needs to go and learn how to coach QB's.  Gus needs to sit down with a real offensive genius and evolve his high school level genius of an offense to expand the route trees,  learn that the middle of the field exists and that more than one option on a pass play is a good thing.  I could go on and on but we all know the deficiencies that we have besides a couple of guys on the board

Just now, Tiger said:

His Cincy defenses aren't/weren't anything special

That was Cincy. At Auburn his defenses wore out and pretty much shut down some of the most vaunted offenses we faced. 2006, 2007 Florida comes to mind. Not in anyway saying I'd like to have TT back in Auburn, and realize he had times he crapped the bed. He was, however a defensive coach, and for the most part defense was not our problem during his tenure here. We now have a so called offensive guru, and our offense has literally stunk for the better part of 2.5 years.

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

That was Cincy. At Auburn his defenses wore out and pretty much shut down some of the most vaunted offenses we faced. 2006, 2007 Florida comes to mind. Not in anyway saying I'd like to have TT back in Auburn, and realize he had times he crapped the bed. He was, however a defensive coach, and for the most part defense was not our problem during his tenure here. We now have a so called offensive guru, and our offense has literally stunk for the better part of 2.5 years.

You definitely not wrong about that

13 hours ago, LittleTrain said:

I was around for the end of barfield and the start of PFD and that quote makes me queezy...

It's looking a little to much like the Barfield era to suit me.

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

No offense man, but this post is so full of unicorn pee, and fairy dust, I don't even know where to begin a response.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care what anybody says! I do hope 2017 is better than what we were exposed to this year. I'm still stinging from that dawg bite in afhens -(as I've heard some pronounce it) ....LOL!

Well, 2016 is over and time to look forward to an improved team in 2017.  I think we have a lot of positives for next year as well.

and I am also looking forward to the finish of MBB and WBB and Softball.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, abw0004 said:

Lastly, we have a lot to look forward to this 2017 season.  This may be the most talented team Auburn has had in a long time.  Tray Matthews and Carlton Davis both confirmed everyone (on defense at least) is returning that can declare early except Lawson.  The only people on offense we lose is Alex Kozan, Marcus Davis, and Tony Stevens.  Braden Smith will most likely stay, but nothing confirmed.  Kevin Steele will have one year under his belt, along with every coordinator we hired with him (except Mcgriff).  We also finally have the quarterback our offense needs, so we need to go into 2017 with an open mind.  2016 is behind us so lets move forward, learn from our mistakes, and become a better team next year.

Despite hurt  right now because of how this season ended, I'm optimistic about 2017 as well.  I think injuries played a big role in how things went down, but I also think the coaches do deserve some criticism for not being able to have a better backup plan at QB. 

One correction to your list of players we're losing:  Robert Leff is also done. 

Nothing wrong with a positive outlook for 2017. I truly hope we accomplish big things. We better accomplish big things.

No excuses. That needs to be on the coaches wristbands this upcoming year. 

I have been a sunshine pumper for just about all of my years loving Auburn. I have seen a lot of excellence in Auburn football as well as some really ugly periods that we had to ride out in order to get real solid change.  I am at a loss with Gus and his coaching abilities. We have seen excellence in Auburn football and really ugly periods during Gus' time at Auburn.

It is time for the school president and the board trustees to have a long meeting with Jacobs what the expectations are for 2017 and that Gus must make some real change like what he did on the defensive side of the ball. All Gus needs to do is to bring in a new OC and turn over the reigns to him and let the OC make our offense work. I think if JJ puts enough pressure on Gus to do this, that finally things can be righted. The solution is a simple one, but a highly effective one if done right. We should empty the bank account to get Lincoln Riley to jump ship at Okie, and come to Auburn.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I have been a sunshine pumper for just about all of my years loving Auburn. I have seen a lot of excellence in Auburn football as well as some really ugly periods that we had to ride out in order to get real solid change.  I am at a loss with Gus and his coaching abilities. We have seen excellence in Auburn football and really ugly periods during Gus' time at Auburn.

It is time for the school president and the board trustees to have a long meeting with Jacobs what the expectations are for 2017 and that Gus must make some real change like what he did on the defensive side of the ball. All Gus needs to do is to bring in a new OC and turn over the reigns to him and let the OC make our offense work. I think if JJ puts enough pressure on Gus to do this, that finally things can be righted. The solution is a simple one, but a highly effective one if done right. We should empty the bank account to get Lincoln Riley to jump ship at Okie, and come to Auburn.

Out of likes, but I like this.  It would be a step in the right direction and Gus could show that he isn't the paranoid, hard-headed coach many think he is. He has a unique opportunity with Stidham coming in next year.  Not a chance in hell he pushes the son he always wanted but never had out the door though.

At this point I'm all in on Briles or Chip Kelly. Screw whatever backlash we'd get from MSESPN and similar 'media' companies. I think either one of those tow would be able to, ya know, beat UGA once or twice or even three times in their career (wow!!!!!!! imagine that). I am going into 2017 flat as hell with this team's prospects. Whatever good ideas Malzahn's had have long been used up, and now we're left with 3 QBs playing in one game (by design), leaving your only competent QB in a game even though its pretty obvious his arm is about to fall off, not having one single competent back up QB, treating your first three games like glorified scrimmages to "figure out what works" (as opposed to doing it in spring and fall camp), and that embarrassing piece of s*** "hide the QB play". Maybe Stidham's talent can overcome this nonsense, but that exposes another problem, Malzahn either can't identify talent at the HS level, or can't develop it once he gets it here. I'm done with this guy. I mean, I want AU to do well next year and get double digit wins, but , yeah..............................

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The motto for 2017 is NO EXCUSES.

Yep.

1 hour ago, YankeeTiger24 said:

Yep.

This is a feeling that I now share. However, I am not one of those who hopes we go 6-6 in 2017 just to get rid of Gus. I want Gus to succeed very much in 2017 and seasons beyond.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

This is a feeling that I now share. However, I am not one of those who hopes we go 6-6 in 2017 just to get rid of Gus. I want Gus to succeed very much in 2017 and seasons beyond.

I agree with you. I want nothing more than for AU to go undefeated and win it all next year. I too want him to be successful and have a long career at AU. Do I think it will happen? Probably not. But I hope it does. 

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I don't think any AU fan WANTS them to do poorly but the time in between seasons is like dog years when you're a fan suffering through expectations of change & improvement, only to be let down...yet again.

I, like you, would love to see Gus finally figure it out and lead AU football to where it should be.  BUT, after the last 3 years of "WTH" football, it's time for him to fish or cut bait.  So either be brilliant or suck but quit teasing us and "fooling" the PTB to give one more year...one more year...one more year...

I'm not sure how the search for a new University President is going but until that's settled, Gus won't go anywhere. He'll at least get the 2017 season to right the ship before the new President reviews the athletics department and starts making real changes (if he's not overwhelmingly bribed to keep JJ).

If Gus wants to stay in Auburn, Rhett has to go and a new OC has to come in. At this point, I don't even care who the new OC is as long as he's not another "friend" of Gus and will run his own offense.

Our Sugar Bowl performance, just like Scarbinsky has said in one of his latest articles, was the entire season summed up in one game and it was unacceptable.

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Me too. I also hope I win the lottery Friday.

Archived