Looking on to 2017 (Merged)

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

How 'bout 10-2 with the losses being uga and uat...

That a "put up" or a "shut up"?

I'm one of the biggest Gus critics here, and I could live with that providing we didn't lose either game running the three QB Monty, or the whirlybird Coxcat.

On 12/17/2016 at 0:02 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The defense has been righted. We'll be in every game again. Solid line, the backers are playing very well, and the secondary looks like the best we've had in a decade.

We have gone and gotten our 'much needed' QB (I still believe in SW, personally) and have new and returning weapons all over the field on Offense.

We have the (should be) best FG kicker in the nation coming back.

2017 it's SEC Title and playoff or bust for Auburn. For me, an avid Gus supporter, this will be the last year I'll accept mediocrity add excuses. I'll look for no less than 10 wins. If he can't do it, then it's time to start turning the heat back on the seat. 

And it starts on 1/2/17. Watch out, Sooners. You're about to be hit by a train.

Can't say it any better! Year in and year out, my expectation for Auburn is to make it to the playoff. If anyone says that it is unrealistic to have those expectations, check back to 2013. We weren't supposed to be worth a damn, yet we made it to the championship. 

I can see us romping Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. I feel as though it is not the game that our team wanted to be playing in since going into the Georgia game, we controlled out own destiny to make our way into the playoffs. I imagine Oklahoma feels the same way, but they haven't faced a team as good as this Auburn team that is at 100% healthy.

2017 is the year of the Tiger.

13 minutes ago, logan adams said:

we controlled out own destiny to make our way into the playoffs.

Not to derail, but...I thought we controlled our destiny too, but he playoff committee debunked that  by selecting OSU over the 2 loss Big Ten champ, just like they would have taken Alabama over the 2 loss SEC champ.  In retrospect, I'm glad we didn't win out, because if that would have happened, my head would have exploded.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not to derail, but...I thought we controlled our destiny too, but he playoff committee debunked that  by selecting OSU over the 2 loss Big Ten champ, just like they would have taken Alabama over the 2 loss SEC champ.  In retrospect, I'm glad we didn't win out, because if that would have happened, my head would have exploded.

I doubt they would've picked Alabama over Auburn had we won out. We would've been a guarantee spot in the top 4. However, the other 3 would've been interesting to see. Washington would not have gotten in, and Alabama would've probably taken their spot. Clemson, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama.

Do we know who was calling the plays post-Vandy game, for sure? I will feel better if Gus sticks to being a HC and lets Lashlee call the plays. RL was doing a good job breaking our obvious tendencies and we inexplicably seemed to revert to our predictable offense down the stretch. I know there are some HC who call plays but it just seems like our HC cannot handle the standard HC duties and give adequate time to preparing for calling plays during a game while keeping a big picture outlook of the game at hand.

It seemed like Lashlee was putting SW in better positions to succeed than CGM was.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Of course it is. Nothing short of 15-0 and a 30 point win over bammer is sufficient!

That would be nice but I think most of us would settle for at least beating 1 of the big two most years.  Expecting perfection is setting ones-self up for disappointment but I don't think expecting AU to NOT be Oh & 8 over 4 years against the pugs & pachyderms is too much to ask.

3 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I'm one of the biggest Gus critics here, and I could live with that providing we didn't lose either game running the three QB Monty, or the whirlybird Coxcat.

On any given year...sure.  But you'd be okay with that next year?  Again, that would put Gus at 2-8 overall and, of course, zippo since the first "miracle" year.

Heck. even baby bowden beat uga & bammer a few times...

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That would be nice but I think most of us would settle for at least beating 1 of the big two most years.  Expecting perfection is setting ones-self up for disappointment but I don't think expecting AU to NOT be Oh & 8 over 4 years against the pugs & pachyderms is too much to ask.

Heck, at this point I'd settle for getting to those games with 90-100% of our team intact.  Then we can worry about winning.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Heck, at this point I'd settle for getting to those games with 90-100% of our team intact.  Then we can worry about winning.

Every single team experiences the injury bug. Granted we had a special case this year, but you would be hard press to find anyone at 90 or even 100 % going to the end of the season. We should always worry about winning or else why even watch? As soon as SW and KP got hurt, might as well had canceled the season. No need to go to the sugar bowl.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I understand injuries happen, but that's football. 

When's the last time Jawja played Auburn without missing key players?

And, of course, apparently bammer's got so many players that injuries don't matter to them.

Just now, DAG said:

Every single team experiences the injury bug. Granted we ha a special case this year, but you would be hard press to find anyone at 90 or even 100 % going to the end of the season. We should always worry about winning or else why even watch ? As soon as SW and KP got hurt, might as well had canceled the season. No need to go to the sugar bowl.

For two straight years, we've had multiple key players on the bench or off the team to end the season.  That is a problem that needs to be fixed. Yes, everyone has injuries, but what we have is symptomatic of a bigger issue than the usual bumps and bruises.

The majority of teams go into the end of the year with 90-100% of their key players on the field.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I understand injuries happen, but that's football. 

When's the last time Jawja played Auburn without missing key players?

And, of course, apparently bammer's got so many players that injuries don't matter to them.

Generally, Georgia has been getting their key players back just in time to face us.

And yes, bama just inserts the next 5*.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Generally, Georgia has been getting their key players back just in time to face us.

And yes, bama just inserts the next 5*.

In 2015, UGA had no chubb and pretty much no reliable QB. In 2016, UGA has an injured NC and a true freshman starting at QB. Who was injured for us in 2015 besides SW, who was a question mark to begin with? 2016 UGA was a bad football team. We had no KP and an injured SW, again. Those key players were not the reason we are losing these games. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

In 2015, UGA had no chubb and pretty much no reliable QB. In 2016, UGA has an injured NC and a true freshman starting at QB. Who was injured for us in 2015 besides SW, who was a question mark to begin with? 2016 UGA was a bad football team. We had no KP and an injured SW, again. Those key players were not the reason we are losing these games. 

I'm not turning this into another why we lost to Georgia thread.  My point stands that we've got to figure out how to stay healthy and keep from losing key players.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not turning this into another why we lost to Georgia thread.  My point stands that we've got to figure out how to stay healthy and keep from losing key players.

When you figure that out, you make sure to let CGM, SW and the rest of the college football world understand how to do that. In the meantime, I hope our players follow Kozan's words post UGA game, understanding that guys play hurt and with any adversity, you got to find a way to get it done.

Hey, bammer's a buzzsaw right now (ethically or not) so there's no shame in the type of performances the team has given against them the last 3 years.  I give Gus a "pass" when he's going up against (my opinion only) the cheatingest program in the 21st century.

However, AU has gone up against VERY beatable, perhaps even inferior, thuga teams the last 3 years and they have TOTALLY crapped their pants in those games.  That is the bigger issue.

18 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

On any given year...sure.  But you'd be okay with that next year?  Again, that would put Gus at 2-8 overall and, of course, zippo since the first "miracle" year.

Heck. even baby bowden beat uga & bammer a few times...

Didn't say I would like it, just said I could live with it. I expect GA to be much improved next year, and Bama is, well Bama. The time to beat GA has been the past 2 years and as you said Gus crapped the bed. If we beat everyone else next year, and lose competitive games to GA, and Bama I would not suggest firing Gus over it. I see 2017 as a pivotal season for Gus. One more 7-8 win mediocre season and his seat will be on fire, and rightly so.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:22 PM, DAG said:

Be careful what you wish for..the grass is not always greener on the other side. I don't think UGA or LSU will benefit much from their post firings. There just aren't many great coaches out there. I do believe CGM should be expected to win at least 9 games next year, but unless we completely crap the bed, I don't know if a firing should be warranted, UNLESS their is a slam dunk hire truly available. No point in firing CGM to pick up P.J. Fleck. 

Someone said the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing and expecting a different result. You are right the next coach may not be any better but you don't just sit back and agree to fail. If Gus can't get his problems fixed then you hire someone else. If they also fail then you hire again. What you never do is except something that is not right just because your afraid of a future mistake. As I said, I like Gus, but the problems that we are seeing are mostly Gus induced. I have no expectations of winning a NC every year nor should anyone. What I do have expectations of is winning the games that we should, not losing them because our coaches are making lame decisions. I don't care who is calling the offense, it falls on Gus to get it corrected. Insuring that we have an qualified backup for every position is a must. Now like RB this year where you have several injuries then you get a little slack, but we should not have to wait till game 3 of the season before the coaches can decide what the heck identity their offense will have. That in itself is grounds for a coach losing his job. WDE$

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty simple. 2017 is do or die for Gus. His seat will be nuclear after tonight. We will have all the pieces to be what OU is right now. 10 wins at least.

Also, who should our list of candidates be, just in case? Please, for the love of God, tell me JJ is nearing retirement. #Etheridge2017

Archived