Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

No. In my opinion, Gus is not a good HC.  But allowing Jay Jacobs to fire Gus and hire another HC for the AU football program would be far worse than letting Gus get anothore year or two.  Fire Jay Jacobs first, hopefully hire a competent AD and move forward.

wde

Read the second part of my statement. JJ makes Kevin HC on a one year deal. If it works good, if not then we will see if the new Pres. decides to replace the AD before hiring the new coach. I would be in favor of that. Point is at this point we would have a better chance next year with Kevin at the helm than Gus with another yes man, because it would just be a repeat of this season. Fire the jerk now.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Ok...I have read 2-3 times, "cut Gus loose if he can't hire his own."    

Hypothetical:  if we did cut Gus loose for being too difficult, what's next?

1. Steele at the interim HC?  Kinda a trial run, no risk.

2. Gosh the media would trip over themselves to get to Auburn for coverage.   I presume you fire JJ for mismanagement of his lead dog and sled team.  Plausible?

3.  Who could you realistically hire if you don't tag K Steele as your HC?  

The reason this went public to al.com

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

If Gus wants Chip Lindsey, let him hire Chip Lindsey. If he goes 8-5  and loses to UAT & UGA for the 4th year in a row with Chip Lindsey, then fire him!

Again we just did this last year, why do you want top do it again. Makes no sense.

At this point, no one has a clue!

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

If Gus wants Chip Lindsey, let him hire Chip Lindsey. If he goes 8-5  and loses to UAT & UGA for the 4th year in a row with Chip Lindsey, then fire him!

Gus will have to have an excellent season with Lindsey at the helm. He won't have too many friends behind the scenes, that is for sure. 

21 minutes ago, aubie57 said:

I could be wrong, I believe CNS has had full control inside the football building in west Vance from day 1. He obviously hasn't buried himself. I honestly think CGM, would bury himself, I think he has "1 foot in the grave" from his past decisions now. I still think, regardless if I truly think he's capable, it's his call to make, not be told who to hire. I'm tired of the revolving door at HC. I really wish Malzahn would get out his own way, be the HC, and let the offense go. I couldn't care less who the OC is. Just win. 

No NS did not have total control from day one. He was given some control, but it wasn't until after his 2008 year that he begin to get most of his control. The admin did do all they could early on to get what he needed, but money on renovations and so forth did not flow until proof was supplied that he could deliver.

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of whats best for Auburn then that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The reason this went public to al.com

JJ's staff leaking info to media?   Really?  Nobody is that dumb...really?

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

JJ's staff leaking info to media?   Really?  Nobody is that dumb...really?

not his staff, but others to create public cause for his dismissal

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of Auburn and that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Plan A was Briles.  Was a done deal for months, JJ b@tched out on it, pissed everyone off.  By everyone Gus and BOT.  

Cannot believe that if true. Just complete BS

37 minutes ago, metafour said:

People are intervening because we actually have a chance to compete next year (Stidham, young top-level receivers, Pettway/Johnson, etc) and they don't want to see that go to waste in the case that Gus wants to bring one of his HS students to "run" the offense while he devises some more HS caliber plays and gameplans that revolve around FB trick plays.

Like it or not Gus already got the chance to make his own unquestioned hires last offseason (including running off an elite recruiter who also happened to be an alum), he then spent all summer talking about how the offense was on the same page, and they still flopped.  With faltering offensive performance and a chance to actually compete next year, he's going to enjoy less freedom this time around.

Even with the "meddling" he might still get his guy (Chip Lindsey) in the end.

Intervening because of Stidham and the young receivers potential...really come on...really. They have been intervening from day one and will continue to do so...it's the Auburn way. I have just accepted that as the way it's gonna be. Anyway so what is it ..he ran Craig off or did Craig want to leave...all the people with the alleged connections have said it was mutual. I wish someone would pick a Craig story and stick to it. Regardless he is gone. The offense was chugging along fine til Sean blew out and Pettway got hurt. No one can factually say how the season would have panned out if he stayed healthy. You can speculate but you can't say without a doubt what would have happened. No other team in contention lost their starting QB and RB but Auburn and it played a major impact on how the season ended.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus will have to have an excellent season with Lindsey at the helm. He won't have too many friends behind the scenes, that is for sure. 

No he'll have another season like this maybe even worse without Rhett. I actually think Rhett might have been the adult in the room. JS is good, but JS will want to open things up so Gus will go with SW again. Even if it is JS, Gus knows nothing about route trees he is a sandlot coach. All he knows is "ok act like you are going to run it and let the tackle drift out to the right". That is his knowledge because he is more concerned with his genius plan like the FB whirlybird or the hide the munching behind the guard play. The man is a joke and he is not funny any more. He does nothing but bring disgrace to AU.

15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

What part of this do you not understand? Last year Gus was told that things needed to change, they even suggested that maybe he needed an OC with some maturity to actually run the offense. Gus balked and said if he could have coaches he wanted then it would improve. So out goes experience in Craig and Grimes (not to mention recruiting) to be replaced with Gus's yes men Hand and Kodi. One year later no improvement in where we are headed. So now you think we ought to just let him make "his" choices again and see if the results change. Einstein said the was the definition of insanity. No he had his chance so he makes the changes that knowledgeable people are proposing or he takes a hike. 

You're right. I did misunderstand and I agree. If the PTB has someone then hire them and don't worry about Gus. If they don't trust him then agree again, fire him but don't set him for further failure as he has failed enough.

However, if they do force him to hire their man then it's on them not him. 

Just now, bigbird said:

Absolute truth!

Good Lord. I would've had to be fired if that was the case. That is just ridiculous.. 

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

mmm..was that Gus' dismissal orrrrrr JJ's dismissal )))

when you have a good hunting dog and it no longer fetches birds, no offense Bird!!

Gus does not want to be a head coach he still wants to be a offensive coordinator and not a very good one at this point.

21 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Ok...I have read 2-3 times, "cut Gus loose if he can't hire his own."    

Hypothetical:  if we did cut Gus loose for being too difficult, what's next?

1. Steele at the interim HC?  Kinda a trial run, no risk.

2. Gosh the media would trip over themselves to get to Auburn for coverage.   I presume you fire JJ for mismanagement of his lead dog and sled team.  Plausible?

3.  Who could you realistically hire if you don't tag K Steele as your HC?  

Gus isn't being cut this year. Next year's up in the air but I doubt anything is done to Gus before JJ. If we have a new AD at that time then there is at least some hope of possible change.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of whats best for Auburn then that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

Name one even remotely decent OC that would ever even consider coming in to that situation.  There in lies one of the real problem with this search.  Gus is a joke, everyone knows it and nobody in their right mind is leaving a stable position to work 1 year for him and then be unemployed. We'd have been better this go rind if Rhett stayed. This change should have been made last year. The fact that it didn't puts Gus's stubborn arse in the extremely unenviable position he finds himself now. Blame the PTB if any of you want.  The PTB are at least smart enough to know a moron coach when they see one.  Gus should have been fired in December and by now we'd be discussing new hires with excitement instead of discussing the new scab that rides it out until the whole staff leaves next year. 

1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

Name one even remotely decent OC that would ever even consider coming in to that situation.  There in lies one of the real problem with this search.  Gus is a joke, everyone knows it and nobody in their right mind is leaving a stable position to work 1 year for him and then be unemployed. We'd have been better this go rind if Rhett stayed. This change should have been made last year. The fact that it didn't puts Gus's stubborn arse in the extremely unenviable position he finds himself now. Blame the PTB if any of you want.  The PTB are at least smart enough to know a moron coach when they see one.  Gus should have been fired in December and by now we'd be discussing new hires with excitement instead of discussing the new scab that rides it out until the whole staff leaves next year. 

a potential new head coach hire with excitement with JJ making the call? highly doubt that. 

22 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

What part of this do you not understand? Last year Gus was told that things needed to change, they even suggested that maybe he needed an OC with some maturity to actually run the offense. Gus balked and said if he could have coaches he wanted then it would improve. So out goes experience in Craig and Grimes (not to mention recruiting) to be replaced with Gus's yes men Hand and Kodi. One year later no improvement in where we are headed. So now you think we ought to just let him make "his" choices again and see if the results change. Einstein said the was the definition of insanity. No he had his chance so he makes the changes that knowledgeable people are proposing or he takes a hike. 

Question? How do you no improvement offense guys think the season would have played out with a healthy Pettway and Sean? Was the offense not moving right along up into those guys got hurt? Bammers are whining the natty slipped from them because Bo S got hurt..you don't think the injury return from Mike Williams and the suspension return of Cain did not help Clemson...does Bama get as far without Hurts? He won a few games for Bama with his legs alone...just wanna know how you guys think the season and offense would have fared if Bubba and saw did not get hurt?

Archived