Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

First of all, welcome to AUFamily!

Second, it's just the nature of the beast when you're discussing things people are passionate about and who have different opinions.  There will be debates and sometimes they will be heated.  People will argue their positions.  Sure, there are some that need to dial it back a couple of clicks and stop goading other people, but this isn't CSPAN or NPR.  It's not the place where folks are going to discuss sports in hushed tones and be exceedingly deferential.

I am hereby changing my tag from Oblong Spheroid to Exceedingly Deferential. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Anyone name and Offensive Cordinator at any school who has had a run of success beyond a few seasons. Seems that these guys get hooked up with a hot quarterback and look great and when that guy is gone the offense looks pretty much like everyone else's. Seems downright foolish trying to identify an OC based on what he did the past year or two . 

That is why I like the Ducks HC that got fired... he wasnt much of a HC but his O was always rocking. Just do not know about his recruiting abilities.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I would call Webb good but not great by any means.

I wasn't trying to undercut the success Spavs success by saying he's only had great QBs. I just meant he has taken known quantities at QB and elevated their games. Although he attempts a ton of passes, he threw for just under 4300yds at Cal. 

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm sorry. Should have said this to go along with the wow comment. Its making the rounds that people inside the AD are saying the new OC is going to be a "wow" hire. 

Not the only one here that is hearing this. Lindsey dang sure ain't "wow". Spiv is "ok". 

Tony Franklin? That would make a lot of people say "wow". Lol

We are not Gus making the hire so it pointless to look for coaches & post them here.

Until a target list is released... which will probably never happen... you can't really say that speculating about any coach is off-base, unless they are in a position where they just aren't going anywhere.  Remember, no one was talking about Brown until he was hired.

1 minute ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I wasn't trying to undercut the success Spavs success by saying he's only had great QBs. I just meant he has taken known quantities at QB and elevated their games. Although he attempts a ton of passes, he threw for just under 4300yds at Cal. 

Understood.

1 minute ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Don't really see it as pointless, just someone throwing out a name and besides what does it matter this forum can always stand to have some additional perspective. It is just a post.:dunno:

I know. That's why I deleted my post as soon as I hit submit. You're fast. lol

Understood.

"known quantities" at QB...not sure what that means....unless he got Watson or someone in his junior year.   We always think we know what a QB is capable of but more often than not, we end up being disappointed.   Any OC who can make a good starter out of any HS QB is probably doing a better than average job....JMO.

Rose, now HC at Bob Jones, coached for many years in the Shoals area, was HC at Sheffield for several seasons. Chip Lindsey was head coach at Colbert Heights during this same timeframe, also in the Shoals area. The two are likely friends.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Until a target list is released... which will probably never happen... you can't really say that speculating about any coach is off-base, unless they are in a position where they just aren't going anywhere.  Remember, no one was talking about Brown until he was hired.

Again. I deleted my post as soon as I hit send and said I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

All the various pay sites who have some inside sources have released "target lists."  That's a grade above simply looking for a guy you like and throwing his name out there.  I mean, I like Lincoln Riley but he's not leaving OU to for a lateral move with Baker Mayfield coming back.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Again. I deleted my post as soon as I hit send so back the heck off!!!!

I hope there was a smile after that "back the heck off!!!!" I had no idea you deleted the post or I wouldn't have responded.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

All the various pay sites who have some inside sources have released "target lists."  That's a grade above simply looking for a guy you like and throwing his name out there.  I mean, I like Lincoln Riley but he's not leaving OU to for a lateral move with Baker Mayfield coming back.

Oh I get it... but the same sites listed a target list for DB coach and not a single one listed Brown.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

"known quantities" at QB...not sure what that means....unless he got Watson or someone in his junior year.   We always think we know what a QB is capable of but more often than not, we end up being disappointed.   Any OC who can make a good starter out of any HS QB is probably doing a better than average job....JMO.

Manziel won the heisman before Spav got him 2013. Davis Webb was a hot transfer when he landed at Cal. Both QBs saw improvements in their production under Spav. The known quantities statement simply meant that both QBs had played and you knew what you were getting with them, Spav still elevated their play. 

I was just agreeing with E that I though Spav was the. Enter option if it came down to him and Chip.

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

no problems, the button got hit twice, only meant to post once. 

My apologies for going bananas.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Oh I get it... but the same sites listed a target list for DB coach and not a single one listed Brown.

But it's still more of an attempt at naming actual possibilities than just saying, "Hey, this dude looks successful!"  They are talking to people who have some access (and probably have been on this subject for weeks).  Doesn't mean there won't be a wildcard sometimes, particularly if your top few candidates pass on the job.

I mean it was literally up for like 1 second. It's like nobody is working today & just hitting refresh in this thread.

We're not working on a day like today!

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

FAU took no fallout for hiring him in the media

If a tree falls in the forest...

2 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Manziel won the heisman before Spav got him 2013. Davis Webb was a hot transfer when he landed at Cal. Both QBs saw improvements in their production under Spav. The known quantities statement simply meant that both QBs had played and you knew what you were getting with them, Spav still elevated their play. 

I was just agreeing with E that I though Spav was the. Enter option if it came down to him and Chip.

agree...we are on the same page I guess tho Helfrich might be a good choice too.....

Archived