Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, kd4au said:

There was a Rose that played at Auburn in the 80's if I remember correctly,don't know if this is the same person but if it is he could have some connections.Last I heard anything about him he was a high school coach just don't know where.

Kevin Rose played at UNA

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's not what I want. I want our coach, who really does have an incredible offensive mind, to sit down across the table from whoever he hires and throw ideas back and forth until they come up with a brand new playbook that will give our opponents fits.

That's ideal but my fear regarding Gus doing this is creating another Rhett/Gus type of situation. I'm not saying Gus should not say anything but I don't have much confidence in Gus at this point to do this b/c i'm of the belief that his hand was forced in the first place to move on from Rhett. So i guess my question would be just how open and willing he is to actually doing as you suggested? If he can't then i'd just rather whomever is hired to take the keys and run with it b/c i don't foresee us hiring someone who doesn't have a offensive philosophy close to his but someone who has the ability to expand and develop our passing and qb needs. But you're right..this is what should happen....i'm just not confident at this point it will. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I sure would hate to hire another one year  coach in a crucial position.

Riley will be a head coach pretty quickly now . I would like to see someone who will stay here long enough to develop our quarterbacks which should be a strong position for the team next year and the year after.

If you look at what LSU did with Aranda, you will see what I am talking about with giving Riley a package he cannot refuse. Aranda was given a 3 year contract regardless if Les was there for the duration. Sometimes you have to empty the bank account and do something like this.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Charles Rose played at Auburn, his son Jonathon signed and transferred 4 or 5 years ago

That's great, but we're talking about Kevin Rose, who is the BJHS coach.  

Just now, AEAugirl said:

That's great, but we're talking about Kevin Rose, who is the BJHS coach.  

Yep got that, was just pointing out who may have been the guy who played at Auburn in the 80's he was thinking of!!   WDE

If Briles & Briles are out as well as Riley, where do we go?  I am beginning to think that Mark Helric could be the best option in the pecking order. He has HC experience, he as coached a team to the final 4. I know he had a horrible season,  but the man knows the passing game in and out. This is what we need; an OC whose craft is with the passing game. This was why I was so high on Riley. Passing game is the way to go.

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That's ideal but my fear regarding Gus doing this is creating another Rhett/Gus type of situation. I'm not saying Gus should not say anything but I don't have much confidence in Gus at this point to do this b/c i'm of the belief that his hand was forced in the first place to move on from Rhett. So i guess my question would be just how open and willing he is to actually doing as you suggested? If he can't then i'd just rather whomever is hired to take the keys and run with it b/c i don't foresee us hiring someone who doesn't have a offensive philosophy close to his but someone who has the ability to expand and develop our passing and qb needs. But you're right..this is what should happen....i'm just not confident at this point it will. 

Yea... its all in how much Gus has learned about himself and being a leader.  

As a creative leader, I know that the best way to come up with the best output is to bounce ideas around, and the only way to properly manage that is to remember that there are a lot of right answers in creativity, so just because you don't really see the value in one, it doesn't mean there is no value there.

Unfortunately, "here's my playbook, go tweak it" is likely to cause more conflict with Gus than collaborating. I don't see anyway he just hands over the reigns and walks away.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

If Briles & Briles are out as well as Riley, where do we go?  I am beginning to think that Mark Helric could be the best option in the pecking order. He has HC experience, he as coached a team to the final 4. I know he had a horrible season,  but the man knows the passing game in and out. This is what we need; an OC whose craft is with the passing game. This was why I was so high on Riley. Passing game is the way to go.

My question with Helfrich...How much of that success was him and how much was Chip? I'm not really holding his tenure as a HC against him b/c just like us they had QB issues.  I do question how much success is related to him with that Oregon offense when Chip was there. 

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If you look at what LSU did with Aranda, you will see what I am talking about with giving Riley a package he cannot refuse. Aranda was given a 3 year contract regardless if Les was there for the duration. Sometimes you have to empty the bank account and do something like this.

Good point but I don't think Aranda was on anyone's HC list yet....he's a DC and likely to be one for a while.   JMO but Riley has bigger goals and is close to reaching them. 

I wish we would go away from the traditional "AU family" to make this hire. 

Hiring  Helfrich would be AMAZING, but I think that is a pipe dream. We will do what we always do...

1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My question with Helfrich...How much of that success was him and how much was Chip? I'm not really holding his tenure as a HC against him b/c just like us they had QB issues.  I do question how much success is related to him with that Oregon offense when Chip was there. 

Search @Auburn2Eugene posts. He has some insight on Helfrich.

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Hiring  Helfrich would be AMAZING, but I think that is a pipe dream. We will do what we always do...

Why?  He was in consideration for OC at LSU.  What else does he have to hold out for?

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I cant think of anyone who is more that tertiarily part of the AU Family.  We're talking 1 year as a grad assistant or off field coach for most of them.  Still, it's a lot easier to land someone who knows what it's like to be there or has a relationship with the staff than it is to land someone who has no connection at all.

helfrick was a disaster after chip left and the talent chip had developed left. His offense and style would be totally different than the talent we have recruited for. Also he has been in the pac 12 where defense is optional. Bring on chip lindsey!!

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... its all in how much Gus has learned about himself and being a leader.  

As a creative leader, I know that the best way to come up with the best output is to bounce ideas around, and the only way to properly manage that is to remember that there are a lot of right answers in creativity, so just because you don't really see the value in one, it doesn't mean there is no value there.

Unfortunately, "here's my playbook, go tweak it" is likely to cause more conflict with Gus than collaborating. I don't see anyway he just hands over the reigns and walks away.

Agree. I don't either. The only person i could see Gus doing that with is Art but it's not going to be Art. However, i do think there may be some candidates on that list that he'd have more "trust" in to tinker with his offense and would've feel the need for much collaboration. This is why i want no parts of Kodi and Hand being an option. 

1 minute ago, WDEAUDAD said:

Why?  He was in consideration for OC at LSU.  What else does he have to hold out for?

Agree....and as regards whether Gus will turn the reins over to the new OC.....JMO but no matter who we hire, I'm pretty sure he will run a "Gus-friendly" offense....because that's what we have recruited for and generally it works when we have a healthy QB and RB.   

Like NS....he brings in a DC but basically they run the D they always run...and for which they have recruited.

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I'm seen so many crazy names...

Our New OC will be Tyrone Wheatley. Done.

What?  he's a RB coach and reported to be on his way to West Mich? 

27 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I read on al.com just a few minutes ago Artist Briles is not a candidate and the new OC will have full reign. Now the big question is who will it be?

If that was the case I think someone would have mentioned it already or at least posted a tweet or something.

WDE!

4 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

helfrick was a disaster after chip left and the talent chip had developed left. His offense and style would be totally different than the talent we have recruited for. Also he has been in the pac 12 where defense is optional. Bring on chip lindsey!!

From what I've read, and my knowledge on this subject is less than extensive, Chip Lindsey might be the best option.

6 minutes ago, Jt86w1 said:

What are you saying this for? He took over Kelly and in 2 years he was in the National CHampionship playoffs again. He did well his 2-3 years, but he fell into that problem of being a first time HC...and learning on the job is tough.

But as an OC, i think he has great credentials...as he is NOT a Kelly clone, but incorporates a good passing offense into his schemes. He also has been mentioned as a very good communicator...with his QBs...so i think he would be an asset to GM.

The problem i see is he has NEVER coached east of the Mississippi so is unfamiliar with recruiting over here...

Archived