Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, we do have a Rhett has left the building thread. However, we do not have a true who is going to be the next OC?  We have heard a lot of names being tossed around. Let' take out the orange and blue microscope, and analyze all potential candidates who have been mentioned. To be on a positive note men, let's look at the pros and cons of the names mentioned and do this in a friendly way as to not put anyone down. We can do this if we want to. I challenge everyone to be an Auburn guy or gal and keep all war talk out of this thread. Mods, let this run so that we can get listen to each posters reasons and comment on them without insulting like bammers do.

1. The Briles boys: not going to happen. It is kind of sad in that they could really bring a ton to the table and maybe a NC or 2 for Auburn. We do know their sins, and have to say no thanks and move on.

2. Coach Hand: An interesting selection. Could be brilliant or could land Gus and the staff in unemployment if it goes far worse than Rhett. I do not know enough to say one way or the other. I will bow now and let some of the brains of the group take over. OK. Ellitor....I hand you the baton!

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree...we are on the same page I guess tho Helfrich might be a good choice too.....

I certainly wouldn't complain! If we hire someone like Spav or Heldrich, it'll be interesting to see how they blend styles. First down passing might be back!

42 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hmmm...good question. 

Chip Lindsey is a former Alabama high school coach. The tweets could be wishful thinking on the part of another Alabama high school coach, or insider information.

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Chip Lindsey is a former Alabama high school coach. The tweets could be wishful thinking on the part of another Alabama high school coach, or insider information.

Yes I know this. I played against his Colbert Heights team. 

Factoid: Chip Lindsey was mentored by Propst and former Deshler HC Mothershed. Mothershed learned under Tandy Geralds which is the HC that was portrayed in the movie "Woodlawn." Quite the high school coaching lineage.

11 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Mike Shula??

Barrett Trotter might be an option.  If we hired a seasoned OC/QB coach (which I truly hope we do) BT might make a good GA/analyst/assistant.

WDE!

Edit:  Chris Weinke was also on that Rams staff.  Weinke/Trotter, anyone?

I think we need to look at this from a different view:

No matter who we hire...are we better off than if we continued with the CGM and CRL combo ?

Then we will start from there to see an improved offense in the spring and going forward (or could it be we just needed a better overall QB, if Stidham proves to be a top level QB for us.?):hellyeah:

I wish that Gus would surprise all of us and hire Lincoln Riley. This would be the best of the best we could get. I think he is the best out there that money can buy. We could outbid OU if it came down to it. We need a proven OC and should pay what is needed to get one. Give Lincoln a 3 year guaranteed contract for $1.5 million each season and make him a coach in waiting if Gus is gone at the end of 2017. Why isn't this name being tossed into the mix?

Just now, doc4aday said:

I wish that Gus would surprise all of us and hire Lincoln Riley. This would be the best of the best we could get. I think he is the best out there that money can buy. We could outbid OU if it came down to it. We need a proven OC and should pay what is needed to get one. Give Lincoln a 3 year guaranteed contract for $1.5 million each season and make him a coach in waiting if Gus is gone at the end of 2017. Why isn't this name being tossed into the mix?

I think he would be great, but why would he consider us? He is making great money already not in the SEC. Look at the defenses he has to play right now?? Plus the talent he has on offense is great right now.

6 minutes ago, autigersj said:

I think he would be great, but why would he consider us? He is making great money already not in the SEC. Look at the defenses he has to play right now?? Plus the talent he has on offense is great right now.

If you want to beat the best you got to get the best.  That's the way I see it.

11 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Because I don't think anyone believes he'd leave OU right now for a lateral move, regardless of money.  He was interviewed by Oregon this year to be head coach.  He has Baker Mayfield returning.  He's looking to be a HC after next season.

Edited to add:  And no way Gus is going to hire a guy with a clause that says, "Hey, if they can me, you get the top job next year!"

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Catch22 (or Tubberville scenario) for us - world class coordinator as HC.

If Gus gives total O control to an OC we lose the biggest reason to have him at Auburn - his phenomenal offensive abilities/talents which, yes, I buy into. I also admit his wearing both HC and OC hats was not working.

If he gives significant input into our offense he's using his resume highlight but we get into the meddling, tampering etc argument and again, that was not working ideally.

The moment this Fall when Gus declared he felt unable (or at unwilling) to be both our HC and the primary offense guy was a huge, now he's just a CEO/administrator. Such a waste IMHO.

I used to feel this way. But it is clear now that Gus can not juggle everything that comes with being a HC and also do everything that is needed to be a top coordinator as well. I understand the point of "well, so why do we have a CEO guy who's strength is not in the CEO realm, but in playcalling -- when given ample time to do so?" Well, this is the risk we took with a guy who had proven zero as a HC and now we find ourselves here.

Our best bet IMO is to find a dynamic coordinator and let him do this thing. Gus should give him the playbook and let him call plays from there if Gus is so hell bent on running his offense -- which I'm not mad at. We hired Gus so we could run the Malzahn HUNH offense which has proven successful everywhere it's been run. We just need someone with the time (a true OC will have the time) and talent to make the appropriate and timely play calls based on our opponents weaknesses and our own team's strengths.

Edit: Or demote CGM to OC and get a real HC in here but we all know that's not realistic.

10 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Not gonna happen IMO. LR's next job will be as a HC. We could wait & hire him next year if the season doesn't go well.

I am going to put it out there. The new OC will be Payton Manning. He loves college football and has been behind the scenes looking for a way to get back into the whole college thing. Gus heard about Peyton's interest in college and has been talking to Payton about philosophy and strategy and Gus is sold. We are now just waiting for our NCAA police to give it an OK . Not sure it will go through because of his recovery pill rumors. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Anyone name and Offensive Cordinator at any school who has had a run of success beyond a few seasons. Seems that these guys get hooked up with a hot quarterback and look great and when that guy is gone the offense looks pretty much like everyone else's. Seems downright foolish trying to identify an OC based on what he did the past year or two . 

This is an excellent observation, and it extends to the hot head coaching prospects as well. Consistency is not valued as much as last season or two for these hot coaching prospects. Tom Herman comes to mind. Two years as a head coach and he gets a job at one of the wealthiest universities that was ready to throw $10 million a year at Nick Saban.

One or two hot players on an otherwise good team can make a huge difference.

UAT is one of the few teams that rarely has a singular standout player, in large part because their talent level is so high at so many positions.

This is why, in my opinion, Kevin Steele was a far better DC than Jeremy Pruitt last season. Bama was so loaded on defense, and led by a defensive coach who directly participates in day-to-day coaching of the defense, that Pruitt could not have had much of an impact in any direction. Bama had consistency of recruiting and scheme. Steele had less talent, and less consistency of recruiting and scheme to work with.

We need to evaluate coaching prospects (head coaches and assistants) like Belichick and Saban scout talent: Archetypes, measurables, psychology, etc., they apply to coaches as well.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not gonna happen IMO. LR's next job will be as a HC. We could wait & hire him next year if the season doesn't go well.

I sure would hate to hire another one year  coach in a crucial position.

Riley will be a head coach pretty quickly now . I would like to see someone who will stay here long enough to develop our quarterbacks which should be a strong position for the team next year and the year after.

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am going to put it out there. The new OC will be Payton Manning. He loves college football and has been behind the scenes looking for a way to get back into the whole college thing. Gus heard about Peyton's interest in college and has been talking to Payton about philosophy and strategy and Gus is sold. We are now just waiting for our NCAA police to give it an OK . Not sure it will go through because of his recovery pill rumors. 

Well he has experience coaching QBs & calling plays. He's called most of his plays for 20 years & had a passing academy for 15 plus. The only things he has not done is recruit & if there is a name that can get you in the door with any offensive skill player it's Peyton Manning.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I sure would hate to hire another one year  coach in a crucial position.

Riley will be a head coach pretty quickly now . I would like to see someone who will stay here long enough to develop our quarterbacks which should be a strong position for the team next year and the year after.

The hire him next year quip was as a HC joke.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

So we ignore a guy who failed to punish his players for sexual assault and instead hire a guy who showed his junk to a personal trainer? Actually,  all kidding aside this would be a home run hire if we could make it happen.

17 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Is Payton hooked on Spavitol?

Archived