Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

23 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am going to put it out there. The new OC will be Payton Manning. He loves college football and has been behind the scenes looking for a way to get back into the whole college thing. Gus heard about Peyton's interest in college and has been talking to Payton about philosophy and strategy and Gus is sold. We are now just waiting for our NCAA police to give it an OK . Not sure it will go through because of his recovery pill rumors. 

Don't think he is interested in getting into anything this early (and if so, I would think Tenn would find him a spot).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am going to put it out there. The new OC will be Payton Manning. He loves college football and has been behind the scenes looking for a way to get back into the whole college thing. Gus heard about Peyton's interest in college and has been talking to Payton about philosophy and strategy and Gus is sold. We are now just waiting for our NCAA police to give it an OK . Not sure it will go through because of his recovery pill rumors. 

Peyton will probably get his start in a smaller school like Creighton because it's located in Omaha, Omaha. :-\

1 hour ago, aghill80 said:

Rose, now HC at Bob Jones, coached for many years in the Shoals area, was HC at Sheffield for several seasons. Chip Lindsey was head coach at Colbert Heights during this same timeframe, also in the Shoals area. The two are likely friends.

There was a Rose that played at Auburn in the 80's if I remember correctly,don't know if this is the same person but if it is he could have some connections.Last I heard anything about him he was a high school coach just don't know where.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You might want to look at the stats I posted before coming to that conclusion.

Still would be my choice. Not interested in Auburn figuring out who was the main issue...Spav or Sumlin. 

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I could not agree more with this post. I am relatively new to this forum given that I have just recently discovered it and I do not post much because of this. Upon finding these forums I was extremely excited to discuss AU football with individuals who are as consumed or devoted to AU football as I am but after ciphering through the different forums I realize this is not the case. I get so excited when I see an ample amount of new replies on different forums only for that excitement to be diminished by constant arguments that usually have nothing to do with the actual forum topic. Maybe I just came in with the wrong impression. 

Like a few others have said, welcome to the forum!  When I joined in August, I was the exact same way.  You will learn soon which sides people are on, and you just have to find the ones that are like you on here.  For example you sound similar to me.  I will always look for the positive spin on things, hence why I am a "sunshine pumper" and proudly wear that badge.  I do not do it blindly, however, I try to inject facts in every post I make (although I will say I have been proven wrong a few times and will admit it).

On forums in general where it is opinion based (unlike car forums that are more factual), you will find statistically there will be more people with negative outlooks because it is a place where they can vent.  You just have to remember this does not reflect the Auburn Family as a whole.  But, even if some disagree with you, they can give good points of view that will make you a better fan of Auburn.  I hope we didn't scare you away just yet!  War Eagle!  :wareagle:

To some extent I really don't care who our next OC is, what I do care about is seeing our offense actually evolve and see the fundamentals being taught to our QB's.....and that falls on Gus(offense evolving)

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

you will find statistically there will be more people with negative outlooks because it is a place where they can vent

Just to clarify, @WarEagleHunter1221, this is really only the case in game day threads.  The majority of overall posters on here aren't the doom and gloom types, and some of the ones who are on game day get a lot sunnier the rest of the week when they aren't full of beer and disappointment... except Golf... he gets nicer the more beer you give him.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Source close to OC search tells : Still very early in process. No leaders in the clubhouse. New OC will act as play-caller

The more i see this the happier i get! Just hope it's true regarding whoever we hire. Still don't trust anything that comes from Gus. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Source close to OC search tells : Still very early in process. No leaders in the clubhouse. New OC will act as play-caller

1. We always hear boilerplate P.R. responses like this if the hire is weeks away or if the offer has already been made and discussions are being finalized.

2. Negotiating Scot Loeffler's buyout at Boston College will take a few days. :rollin:

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

1. We always hear boilerplate P.R. responses like this if the hire is weeks away or if the offer has already been made and discussions are being finalized.

2. Negotiating Scot Loeffler's buyout at Boston College will take a few days. :rollin:

it is the combo of Loeffler and Tony Franklin package, lol

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

Negotiating Scot Loeffler's buyout at Boston College will take a few days. :rollin:

If Scot Loeffler has any kind of buyout, I need to try out this coaching thing

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

The more i see this the happier i get! Just hope it's true regarding whoever we hire. Still don't trust anything that comes from Gus. 

I'm also in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Gus isn't going to say "we are looking for an OC in name only, I'll be calling the plays". Any candidate worthy of being OC at AU will scoff at the prospect of joining the staff if that was being floated out there publicly.

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

So then PTB was completely wrong then when he said the OC has already been chosen? That would be a first. 

Just now, thaitopher said:

So then PTB was completely wrong then when he said the OC has already been chosen? That would be a first. 

Or the source is shooting chaff into the mix to keep people from homing in on any one candidate while they iron out details.

Just now, Tiger said:

I'm also in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. Gus isn't going to say "we are looking for an OC in name only, I'll be calling the plays". Any candidate worthy of being OC at AU will scoff at the prospect of joining the staff if that was being floated out there publicly.

What people don't seem to be getting is "calling the plays" does not equate to writing the playbook.  I could give a crap who calls the plays, I want Gus to be open to collaborating on the playbook to develop an entirely fresh offense.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Or the source is shooting chaff into the mix to keep people from homing in on any one candidate while they iron out details.

Or they threw that out there just to see who picks up the phone... Until the ink is on the paper, they can certainly change their mind.

Just now, thaitopher said:

There was a second attempt to get KB this morning, got shot down apparently, have not heard that for sure, thought was that since there was no media outcrying with his FAU hire and minor infractions that Admin would have a change.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Good point. Guess we'll be able to tell which will be case with how we hire. That should tell us what direction things are likely to go. I'm just hoping it's the direction where they will have control. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

What people don't seem to be getting is "calling the plays" does not equate to writing the playbook.  I could give a crap who calls the plays, I want Gus to be open to collaborating on the playbook to develop an entirely fresh offense.

Exactly. I WANT Gus to just hand over his playbook to someone who has shown he is a dynamic playcaller. I also want this guy to take this playbook and add his own touch to it. And not slamming our RB into the lower back of our right guard every time on first down would be a plus for me as well.

Just now, Tiger said:

Exactly. I WANT Gus to just hand over his playbook to someone who has shown he is a dynamic playcaller. I also want this guy to take this playbook and add his own touch to it. And not slamming our RB into the lower back of our right guard every time on first down would be a plus for me as well.

That's not what I want. I want our coach, who really does have an incredible offensive mind, to sit down across the table from whoever he hires and throw ideas back and forth until they come up with a brand new playbook that will give our opponents fits.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

exactly

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's not what I want. I want our coach, who really does have an incredible offensive mind, to sit down across the table from whoever he hires and throw ideas back and forth until they come up with a brand new playbook that will give our opponents fits.

That's fair. I don't have much faith in that happening though. I could see what my post said as more realistic JMO though

Archived