Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, imaolgatiger said:

Ok...I'm giving Gus and Rhett credit for taking a DB and turning him into a QB that took us to the NC game.  See the pic in all of your posts.

I give gus credit for that. its been a disaster since then. ANYWAYS who do you want as oc?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I don't think he actually knows anything, I know him.  Chip Lindsey went to BJHS.  Think this is just wishful thinking on Kevin's part.

Kevin wouldn't have crossed paths with Lindsey as he didn't come to BJHS until 2008 and Lindsey graduated in 92.

Lindsey and Rose were assistants together at Deshler under Mothershed. Lindsey went to Colbert Heights as  HC and Rose went to Sheffield. They both coached together again at Hoover as assistants. 

Our new OC should be one who has had many years experience as a proven OC.  No more up and comers !  I'm done with such candidates. 

No to Lindsey, YES to Helfrich.  Having been HC at Oregon is a major plus.  Doubt he'll find a HC job elsewhere for a while. (salary consideration)  His buyout is $11.6 million.

6 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I would really like this hire if it were to happen.

1 minute ago, autigersj said:

FYI, I went and did a search on Tennessee's OC search and the have Herb Hand on the board. Just found in interesting.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2017/01/03/tennessee-offensive-coordinator-hot-board/7/

Are you sure it wasn't Gus ?

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I give gus credit for that. its been a disaster since then. ANYWAYS who do you want as oc?

I don't know who all is interested and that we can actually pick from, but of those mentioned I wouldn't mind Lindsey or Helfrich. But whomever it is, I want an improved passing attack. I don't think there is anything wrong with Gus's running game. I want to see some slants,  crossing routes and some fade patterns incorporated and less gimmick plays. 

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well for starters he took a rb in blake simms and turned him in to a record setting qb his first year on the job. I will start there.

Not only Blake Simms, but also Jake Coker, he turned him into a pretty decent QB who won in a shootout in the NC game against arguably the best QB in the NCAA.

8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Our new OC should be one who has had many years experience as a proven OC.  No more up and comers !  I'm done with such candidates. 

No to Lindsey, YES to Helfrich.  Having been HC at Oregon is a major plus.  Doubt he'll find a HC job elsewhere for a while.

Even though he had some great success at Oregon, I agree with you. I don't think teams would be beating down his door to be their HC if he does well at AU. But if he is, in fact, just a Lashlee to Chip Kelly we are going to be totally screwed. How involved he was with QB coaching is very important IMO. If he was just a figurehead I'm totally against hiring Helfrich.

Just now, Tiger said:

Even though he had some great success at Oregon, I agree with you. I don't think teams would be beating down his door to be their HC if he does well at AU. But if he is, in fact, just a Lashlee to Chip Kelly we are going to be totally screwed. How involved he was with QB coaching is very important IMO. If he was just a figurehead I'm totally against the hire.

He was head coach for four years.  Oregon's offense clicked along just fine.  I think that's enough time to say "it wasn't just Chip's doing."

No idea on his QB coaching.

Difference in developing a QB, and tweaking the offense and play calling around their strengths/weaknesses, especially when they're surrounded by the best talent in football.

Simms was a flame out in the CFL. Coker wasn't even invited to the combine. Hurts has arguably regressed during the season.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

My question with Helfrich...How much of that success was him and how much was Chip? I'm not really holding his tenure as a HC against him b/c just like us they had QB issues.  I do question how much success is related to him with that Oregon offense when Chip was there. 

During games... He would Helfrich would follow Chip around like a lost puppy. Often just standing there holding the clipboard... We want nothing to do with Helfrich...in my humble opinion. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

He was head coach for four years.  Oregon's offense clicked along just fine.  I think that's enough time to say "it wasn't just Chip's doing."

after mariota left for the NFL his starter the last 2 years were transfers. No wonder Gus would want him. A guy from his own heart who has success with graduate transfers and juco transfers! haha

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I mean as OC though. He was Chip's OC but Chip was calling the plays. Was Helfrich calling the O the last 4 years? I don't know much about him. But Terry Bowden had a pretty good first few years too until his guys made up the majority of the roster. Not saying you're wrong at all. I just don't know enough about him. But Auburn2Eugene who has seen the Oregon program up close is not high at all on CMH.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

During games... He would Helfrich would follow Chip around like a lost puppy. Often just standing there holding the clipboard... We want nothing to do with Helfrich...in my humble opinion. 

After reading all the discipline problems the OU players admitted were going on, i dont want him either.

3 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

SW has two years of eligibility remaining.  It remains to be seen whether or not he can become an elite college QB.  Aside from JJ, who has he failed to develop?  As a comparison, who has Lane Kiffin recruited and developed into an elite QB?  He's way more strike outs than home runs.  Matter of fact, I can't think of any QBs he recruited and developed at USC, UT or uat.

Head coaches are allowed (supposed) to delegate responsibilities.  So even if the buck stops with him, something that goes wrong isn't necessarily his fault.  It wasn't his fault we missed on Jonah Williams, but he rightly gets a demerit because it happened on his watch.

People don't have to be in CGM's corner to challenge the criteria by which he's being judged.  Most of us are fine with a just crucifixion.

WDE!

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well for starters he took a rb in blake simms and turned him in to a record setting qb his first year on the job. I will start there.

Someone else recruited and coached Sims for three years before CLK.

WDE!

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Another reason I want nothing to do with helf is I do not think he is a dynamic recruiter. He certainly does not have the personality to fit the profile. Plus they run a run heavy spread after mariota left who is a great talent. Gus needs someone to help him with the passing game. Our run game is great. It is just fine. We need a dynamic passing OC who has had great success with QBs and is a great recruiter. I do not see that with helf.

6 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

After reading all the discipline problems the OU players admitted were going on, i dont want him either.

One thing I will say about that is that OC doesn't have to deal with discipline. That's on the HC 

Edit: Just read the article. Sounded a lot like Chizik as a HC. Not good at all. But Chiz has been doing solid as DC at UNC.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Another reason I want nothing to do with helf is I do not think he is a dynamic recruiter. He certainly does not have the personality to fit the profile. Plus they run a run heavy spread after mariota left who is a great talent. Gus needs someone to help him with the passing game. Our run game is great. It is just fine. We need a dynamic passing OC who has had great success with QBs and is a great recruiter. I do not see that with helf.

If I could like this 1000 times,  I would. 

3 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Someone else recruited and coached Sims for three years before CLK.

WDE!

at rb. So your saying because he was at another position said coach gets all the credit and lane does not? does jimbo get the credit for coker last season since he was at fsu before bama?  Lets not try to mince words. Lane Kiffin is a much better QB developer and better at calling plays than gus....lets get back on topic. who do you want as oc?

Archived