Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at the real situation and how to improve. Gus is good at the HUNH and the downhill running. Proof is that we had 8 or 9 1000 yard rushers since 2009, So what we really need is a OC that can open up the passing game to go with it. Also need someone that can truly develop a true duel threat QB that is as equally good at passing as at running. We also need a fresh play caller that is not as predictable as Gus. I am not that concerned with where he comes from as long as he shows signs that he posses these qualities. I would like for him to be a good recruiter also, but I think that only ranks second to his abilities mentioned above.

3 minutes ago, KMR4AU said:

The head coach at Bob Jones high school tweeted 13 hrs ago that Chip Lindsey is the new OC for us. Any reason this guy would have inside info to be believed? 

Hmmm...good question. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither are wow hires. 

There aren't many wow hires out there . Art Briles nor Lincoln Riley is walking through that door.

14 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

This site is also putting the skids on both Briles:

Auburn: Art Briles won’t be considered for the Auburn offensive coordinator job, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, who adds that the job is wide open, and the new coordinator will run the offense. 247Sports reports Kendal Briles also won't be in the mix.

Not really "also."  They haven't talked to any sources independently.  They are merely reprinting what ESPN said.

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Ahh thank you very much. I haven't learned to navigate this website very well just yet so I did not know this was an option. I will be doing this from here on. 

Happy to help.  I promise not to get offended if I end up on your ignore list.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither are wow hires. 

Still Cal's O was a good bit better versus the same competition.

Just now, DAG said:

There aren't many wow hires out there . Art Briles nor Lincoln Riley is walking through that door.

I'm sorry. Should have said this to go along with the wow comment. Its making the rounds that people inside the AD are saying the new OC is going to be a "wow" hire. 

Not the only one here that is hearing this. Lindsey dang sure ain't "wow". Spiv is "ok". 

Seems the idea of experience if worthwhile if we want to get Gus out of the "mentoring" business and stick to the HC job.   Get another young guy, and you can bet that Gus will feel the need to hold his hands on about everything offense related.  

At least a guy like Spav...(and some others too) has experience running an offense without the HC approving every play.    JMO but we don't need another trainee OC. 

22 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I could not agree more with this post. I am relatively new to this forum given that I have just recently discovered it and I do not post much because of this. Upon finding these forums I was extremely excited to discuss AU football with individuals who are as consumed or devoted to AU football as I am but after ciphering through the different forums I realize this is not the case. I get so excited when I see an ample amount of new replies on different forums only for that excitement to be diminished by constant arguments that usually have nothing to do with the actual forum topic. Maybe I just came in with the wrong impression. 

I see nothing wrong with some disagreement on these boards. People have the right to defend their opinions. I'm not seeing any disagreements derail this thread either. ABW and I were able to work through a small one and figured out the disconnect between us.  no harm and no foul. 

11 minutes ago, KMR4AU said:

The head coach at Bob Jones high school tweeted 13 hrs ago that Chip Lindsey is the new OC for us. Any reason this guy would have inside info to be believed? 

I read that as Lindsey being the guy he wanted, not saying he knew that was who it was going to be.

But looking at one year's offensive stats doesn't tell me anything. Personnel could be better in the one year at Cal, injuries, who had the more experienced QB..etc.

I think either one would be along the lines of what we need. Someone who can coach and develop a QB...add some new life into the offense and the passing game, and fit more into the current Gus' offense..so a total revamp isn't necessary...AND they would help Stidham the most ..if he is deemed the starter for the next 2 years..

24 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I could not agree more with this post. I am relatively new to this forum given that I have just recently discovered it and I do not post much because of this. Upon finding these forums I was extremely excited to discuss AU football with individuals who are as consumed or devoted to AU football as I am but after ciphering through the different forums I realize this is not the case. I get so excited when I see an ample amount of new replies on different forums only for that excitement to be diminished by constant arguments that usually have nothing to do with the actual forum topic. Maybe I just came in with the wrong impression. 

First of all, welcome to AUFamily!

Second, it's just the nature of the beast when you're discussing things people are passionate about and who have different opinions.  There will be debates and sometimes they will be heated.  People will argue their positions.  Sure, there are some that need to dial it back a couple of clicks and stop goading other people, but this isn't CSPAN or NPR.  It's not the place where folks are going to discuss sports in hushed tones and be exceedingly deferential.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

But looking at one year's offensive stats doesn't tell me anything. Personnel could be better in the one year at Cal, injuries, who had the more experienced QB..etc.

I think either one would be along the lines of what we need. Someone who can coach and develop a QB...add some new life into the offense and the passing game, and fit more into the current Gus' offense..so a total revamp isn't necessary...AND they would help Stidham the most ..if he is deemed the starter for the next 2 years..

Have you seen Cal the past few years? The personnel is not better.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Isn't Rose a bama guy? 

No idea.  But these were his tweets:

Chip Lindsey to Auburn as OC! Let's Sling IT!

Chip Lindsey to Auburn as OC. WDE!

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm sorry. Should have said this to go along with the wow comment. Its making the rounds that people inside the AD are saying the new OC is going to be a "wow" hire. 

Not the only one here that is hearing this. Lindsey dang sure ain't "wow". Spiv is "ok". 

Yep. I am just trying to be logical. I wanted KB but if I had to choose between Lindsey and Jake . It would be Jake. Lindsey hasn't remotely did anything at the collegiate level .

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No idea.  But these were his tweets:

Chip Lindsey to Auburn as OC! Let's Sling IT!

Chip Lindsey to Auburn as OC. WDE!

Guess he is a AU guy. Thanks Titan. I don't do the twitter thing. It confuse the heck out of me. 

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Have you seen Cal the past few years? The personnel is not better.

It just tells me that Spav has done well, and very well when paired with a great QB. If he were to come to AU, he has Stidham so that would be a plus. 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Isn't Rose a bama guy? 

No, not really.  He tends to stay pretty neutral.  He's from the Shoals which is heavy Bama but its not like he's running around town in Bama gear.  Or Auburn for that matter.

4 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

It just tells me that Spav has done well, and very well when paired with a great QB. If he were to come to AU, he has Stidham so that would be a plus. 

I would call Webb good but not great by any means.

Catch22 (or Tubberville scenario) for us - world class coordinator as HC.

If Gus gives total O control to an OC we lose the biggest reason to have him at Auburn - his phenomenal offensive abilities/talents which, yes, I buy into. I also admit his wearing both HC and OC hats was not working.

If he gives significant input into our offense he's using his resume highlight but we get into the meddling, tampering etc argument and again, that was not working ideally.

The moment this Fall when Gus declared he felt unable (or at unwilling) to be both our HC and the primary offense guy was a huge, now he's just a CEO/administrator. Such a waste IMHO.

Archived