Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

52 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Thanks for the insight. I didn't want to have a strong opinion on him without knowing more about his contribution. If true, that is a concern for me. We may not can not get a 5+ year experienced OC but i'm just not confident with someone we don't know just how much they've contributed or not contributed to the offense. I know Oregon's issue was defense and they looked pretty good on offense when they had that QB Adams but he was pretty special as a Qb. If he wasn't in the game they looked pretty bad. My nephew is a big Oregon and Texas Longhorn fan (don't know where my brother went wrong on that one) so i know a little about Oregon but not much. It really seemed like Chip was very much immersed in the offense. 

I saw it with my own eyes, don't know how more true it can get. I live minutes (walking distance) from Autzen. I've been to many games in my decade here. 

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I bet @Auburn2Eugene would know better than us all. All I can remember is the grad transfer vernon adams worked really well this past season. The guy who they got this year? not so much obviously.

Adams worked out great when he was healthy. 

50 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

MH's recruiting didn't fall too much from Kelly's.  In fact, CK did a lot with a top 20 class.  Not one class ranked above #12 in 247 since 2010 under CK.  MH's classes have been ranked #19, #21, #16 and #27.

MH bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

You can't look at recruiting at Oregon the same as you do Auburn. Well us in recent history. Oregon as a state produces very little football talent. So they have to work with 2 and 3 star home state kids with low 4*s that the California schools didn't want. Recruiting success as a whole should play no part in that decision, unless you look at direct pulls with CMH as the lead recruiter. Then you still have the talent pool, or lack thereof. 

47 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

I've watched Oregon quite religiously the past 10 years (wife is a die hard Oregon grad).  I don't particularly care to see Helfrich in the O&B.

He simply always seems lost. 

Me and almost every Oregon fan would say the same. Helfrich is a great guy, not so much a coach. 

When I told my wife his name was brought up here, she did nothing but laugh. 

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Honestly I don't know enough about him to make an educated decision.  I do know when he was HC at Oregon, his offense really wasn't the problem.  His defense just was not good.  Other than that, you probably know more than me. 

This past season would disagree with you.  Sure they only scored less than 30 once this year, but we would of averaged close to 50 out here this season. Also consider the drop in ppg after Chip left. 

38 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

I will say, if it does come to light that Helfrich completely helped developed Mariota into the player he has become, I can deal with Helfrich as a play-caller.  We need someone that can keep our QBs (read: Stidham, then Woody) hungry and developing as the QBs we all think they can become.

Scott Frost is who gets that credit

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Folks, do you remember when Chizik was soundly criticized for meddling in the offense?  It is ironic that the same criticism is now directed at Gus....and IMO, deservedly so.  

Do you not see the difference?

WDE!

34 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I wonder if it will be any of the people named (hopefully) or if it will be a hire that is not expected, like with Brown.  Either way I must say that I am hopeful about next season, as dangerous as that may be. I really believe that Auburn will have a more successful season this fall. I think Auburn has a more talented team this year than they have had in any recent year and it seems that the foundation of AU's team as a whole is solid as far as players really committing and believing in AU goes. As frustrating as CGM can be at times I believe he may have had a come to Jesus meeting with himself and opened his eyes to the problems this team has had. Key word... Hope. 

I think that is exactly what we will see. People are throwing darts - nobody really knows. But either way I would be very surprised if we go more than a week without a new OC - especially since we have less than 3 weeks left in recruiting. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I somewhat doubt that. Oregon had that whole OC succession thing going on. Thinking the next guy would take the baton after the HC has moved on. It didn't work with MH. 

Not to deny anyone credit, but I don't remember who posted this earlier... http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/01/how_the_oregon_ducks_football.html.  In any case, it lays out that his issues were not with on field coaching or scheme.  They lay firmly in the fact that he doesn't have the personality to motivate a bunch of ego driven athletes to do what was necessary to win.  He lost the team, much like Chizik. Gus, on the other hand, excels at that part of coaching, so it could be a really good fit.

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I know his resume but there is still question regarding his involvement in play calling while at Oregon. Was he actually the playcaller at Oregon. Rhett was named OC but we all know he wasn't calling the plays until much of this year. As a HC MH wasn't calling the plays so that's a large gap from the last time we know for sure he was calling plays. If we have to question if he was calling the plays when Chip was there then i'll pass. He just seems like a "sexy" name IMO; particularly with the style Oregon plays. 

He absolutely was not calling plays under Chip.  This isn't even a question. Well maybe on here (this forum) it is... But here (Eugene Oregon) it is not. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

I think that is exactly what we will see. People are throwing darts - nobody really knows. But either way I would be very surprised if we go more than a week without a new OC - especially since we have less than 3 weeks left in recruiting. 

Told Monday is the day AU is shooting for. 

1 minute ago, MadtownTiger said:

Do you not see the difference?

WDE!

What I see is two incompetent HC's screwing up a top 15 program and making it irrelevant.  

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I know his resume but there is still question regarding his involvement in play calling while at Oregon. Was he actually the playcaller at Oregon. Rhett was named OC but we all know he wasn't calling the plays until much of this year. As a HC MH wasn't calling the plays so that's a large gap from the last time we know for sure he was calling plays. If we have to question if he was calling the plays when Chip was there then i'll pass. He just seems like a "sexy" name IMO; particularly with the style Oregon plays. 

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

we know for a fact he did not call plays while chip was head coach.

MH wasn't just an OC at Oregon, he was also the HC.....also, play caller.

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

What I see is two incompetent HC's screwing up a top 15 program and making it irrelevant.  

Did you miss the two BCS games?    Still projected as a top 20 team.....hardly irrelevant....

1 minute ago, Elephant Tipper said:

MH wasn't just an OC at Oregon, he was also the HC.....also, play caller.

was he though? a lot of people believe scott frost was the playcaller when he was head coach.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He absolutely was not calling plays under Chip.  This isn't even a question. Well maybe on here (this forum) it is... But here (Eugene Oregon) it is not. 

And that's my main concern. So it's a pass for me. 

Gus himself said his calling the plays was not good for the program, and he was going to turn over the play calling to Rhett.  How long did that last?

Look, I am not trying to convince anyone about anything related to Gus.  That said, I think he is a one-trick pony and is a fraud. Remove the wins over cupcake teams and his record as a HC is dismal. 

Sorry for derailing the thread.  I will get back to who is going to be the next OC.  I hope it matters. 

27 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Definitely agree. I can see them naming someone sooner rather than later. I hope it comes sometime in the next few days. 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Definitely agree. I can see them naming someone sooner rather than later. I hope it comes sometime in the next few days. 

Gus could be waiting to see if Spav will get the Cal job or not.

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Kevin Rose played at UNA

I found him it was Mark Rose and he coaches at North Jackson.

If we told Lashlee to find another job, it's shocking that someone wasn't already fully lined up. 

Unless of course we didn't tell him to leave... And he is pulling a Malzahn and jumping off a sinking ship. 

... I really hope it is option 1...but if it is option 1, how can not have already named a replacement? Signing day isn't far away... We cannot be twiddling our thumbs waiting...  

^^Rob is definitely not a sock puppet, so I'm inclined to take his opinion a little more seriously than that of...well, many others.

Archived