Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I bet @Auburn2Eugene would know better than us all. All I can remember is the grad transfer vernon adams worked really well this past season. The guy who they got this year? not so much obviously.

That's a question you can ask of half the coaches in the SEC or Div 1 I expect.   Look at all the grad transfers and true freshmen playing QB this year because there was nobody "ready" to take the job at the start of the season.....or after their starter got hurt.   

JMO but the task is to have a good solid QB when the season starts....where and how you get him is immaterial to me.   

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:
1997 Oregon (GA)
1997 Vienna (OC)
1998–2000 Boise State (QB)
2001-2002 Arizona State (QB)
2003–2005 Arizona St. (PGC/QB)
2006–2008 Colorado (OC/QB)
2009–2012

Oregon (OC/QB)

That's a great resume.

Also what about Dan Hawkins?

Hawkins is HC at UC Davis. Took job in November of 2016. Was supposed to be OC for Butch Davis at FIU, but took HC position instead.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112816aaa.html

I wonder if it will be any of the people named (hopefully) or if it will be a hire that is not expected, like with Brown.  Either way I must say that I am hopeful about next season, as dangerous as that may be. I really believe that Auburn will have a more successful season this fall. I think Auburn has a more talented team this year than they have had in any recent year and it seems that the foundation of AU's team as a whole is solid as far as players really committing and believing in AU goes. As frustrating as CGM can be at times I believe he may have had a come to Jesus meeting with himself and opened his eyes to the problems this team has had. Key word... Hope. 

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

if helf never called plays at oregon why would we want him as OC? http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/scott_frost_will_not_coach_the.html chip called the plays when helf was OC then scott frost called the plays when helf became HC. What does helf bring to the table?

Exactly. If we have to ask yet AGAIN who the heck is calling the plays with a candidate we're considering...i'll gladly pass. 

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I wonder if it will be any of the people named (hopefully) or if it will be a hire that is not expected, like with Brown.  Either way I must say that I am hopeful about next season, as dangerous as that may be. I really believe that Auburn will have a more successful season this fall. I think Auburn has a more talented team this year than they have had in any recent year and it seems that the foundation of AU's team as a whole is solid as far as players really committing and believing in AU goes. As frustrating as CGM can be at times I believe he may have had a come to Jesus meeting with himself and opened his eyes to the problems this team has had. Key word... Hope. 

If Stidham is the QB his proponents think he is, Bird could run the offense and win at least 10 games.  Not sure why we are spending so many brain cells on this subject.....just draw a name out of the hat and let's move on....:dunno:

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I bet @Auburn2Eugene would know better than us all. All I can remember is the grad transfer vernon adams worked really well this past season. The guy who they got this year? not so much obviously.

And when Adams got hurt...man those QBs looked awful. That offense was night and day with Adams. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly. If we have to ask yet AGAIN who the heck is calling the plays with a candidate we're considering...i'll gladly pass. 

exactly. dude has never called plays since colorado!!! he is just a big name people are falling in love with. yes their offense fell off a click last year when adams missed a few games.

Just now, AU64 said:

If Stidham is the QB his proponents think he is, Bird could run the offense and win at least 10 games.  Not sure why we are spending so many brain cells on this subject.....just draw a name out of the hat and let's move on....:dunno:

I agree. My hope for next season reached its highest peak the day Stidham committed to AU. As long as he produces the way he is expected to do then everything else is just gravy IMO. This year's team had its ups and downs but the bright spots really shined when given the opportunity and I hope its a glimpse into the future. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Excellent keyword.

Well if you use "expectation" someone will climb down your throat about acting like a bammer .....entitled....so let's just HOPE

19 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

MH has been a play caller at CO as OC/QB (3 seasons), at Oregon as OC/QB (4 seasons) and at Oregon as HC for 4 seasons.  He has a good resume'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Keep Hope Alive! My hope is that no matter who ends up as OC, Malzahn keeps his fingers out of his business...for the most part.

I totally agree. If I was him I would be keeping my hands to myself, so to speak. At this point I think the general consensus is that if something doesn't drastically change in order to ensure a more efficient offensive production this up coming season that he would be gone anyways so maybe he realizes that it is now or never to put the stubbornness aside and to let go of the reigns. *Hopefully* we will see. WDE!

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

exactly. dude has never called plays since colorado!!! he is just a big name people are falling in love with. yes their offense fell off a click last year when adams missed a few games.

How many offenses don't suffer when the starter goes down?  Looking for an OC, not a miracle worker.

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

MH has been a play caller at CO as OC/QB (3 seasons), at Oregon as OC/QB (4 seasons) and at Oregon as HC for 4 seasons.  He has a good resume'.

I know his resume but there is still question regarding his involvement in play calling while at Oregon. Was he actually the playcaller at Oregon. Rhett was named OC but we all know he wasn't calling the plays until much of this year. As a HC MH wasn't calling the plays so that's a large gap from the last time we know for sure he was calling plays. If we have to question if he was calling the plays when Chip was there then i'll pass. He just seems like a "sexy" name IMO; particularly with the style Oregon plays. 

5 minutes ago, WDEAUDAD said:

How many offenses don't suffer when the starter goes down?  Looking for an OC, not a miracle worker.

You show much wisdom for your tiny amount of posts... Post more :)

1 minute ago, WDEAUDAD said:

But he was the HC during that time...not the OC. We don't really know if he was the "OC" when it was his title. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I know his resume but there is still question regarding his involvement in play calling while at Oregon. Was he actually the playcaller at Oregon. Rhett was named OC but we all know he wasn't calling the plays until much of this year. As a HC MH wasn't calling the plays so that's a large gap from the last time we know for sure he was calling plays. If we have to question if he was calling the plays when Chip was there then i'll pass. He just seems like a "sexy" name IMO; particularly with the style Oregon plays. 

I don't think that Oregon promotes him to HC if he wasn't heavily involved in the offense...

5 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

we know for a fact he did not call plays while chip was head coach.

Folks, do you remember when Chizik was soundly criticized for meddling in the offense?  It is ironic that the same criticism is now directed at Gus....and IMO, deservedly so.  

Just now, metafour said:

I don't think that Oregon promotes him to HC if he wasn't heavily involved in the offense...

I somewhat doubt that. Oregon had that whole OC succession thing going on. Thinking the next guy would take the baton after the HC has moved on. It didn't work with MH. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

at rb. So your saying because he was at another position said coach gets all the credit and lane does not? does jimbo get the credit for coker last season since he was at fsu before bama?  Lets not try to mince words. Lane Kiffin is a much better QB developer and better at calling plays than gus....lets get back on topic. who do you want as oc?

No, they don't get credit.  CLK gets credit for utilization, but not for recruiting or development (which is what you keep bringing up about CGM.)  Just as CGM gets fair credit for utilizing his guys when it's appropriate (2006 Arkansas, 2007-08 Tulsa, 2010 Auburn, 2012 ASU, 2013 Auburn...six wildly successful seasons).  I'm just contrasting their reputations.  Again, who has CLK recruited and developed?  And how much blame does he get for Jamarcus Russell in Oakland, or for the handful of elite prospects at uat that got beat out by an ATH, a cast-off, and a true freshman?  We can chat about this particular tangent at a more convenient time.  This thread is growing at a ridiculous rate---something posted an hour ago might be four pages back, and I imagine once folks start getting off work it's going to get tiger blood crazy in here.  Plus, I'd rather discuss OC possibilities.

I'm an NFL guy, so my top ten list would be littered with those guys.  I'd throw a hail mary and see is someone like Mike McCoy wanted to take a step back for a year or so or see if Gary Kubiak would consider semi-retirement---maybe tell him he only had to host recruits on campus or visit them back in Texas.  Sean Payton and New Orleans are like that couple everyone is waiting on to break up.  I think all those guys are great play-callers and teachers.  Same for Kyle Shannahan, and that could help out with metro Atlanta recruiting.  Greg Roman flamed out in Buffalo, but he has some recent college experience, and before becoming an OC he worked with OL and TEs.  I mentioned a Chris Weinke/Barrett Trotter combo earlier (and a long time ago).  I think he could recruit north Florida pretty well, particularly IMG Academy, maybe open some doors in North Carolina and California.  Trotter worked for Malzahn and Weinke, so there's some built-in familiarity that could be very beneficial.  I haven't spent enough time on it to look through the guys that still have jobs, but I'll bet there's a great candidate in the pros.

College coaches?  I can't think of the coach's name, but I heard the local uat shill mention the Clemson co-OC as a possibility.  I was impressed with Riley's game plan.  Everyone has a price, so let's do what uat did and open the war chest.  Same for Tee Martin and Brayn McClendon.  Billy Napier at uat has been an OC before, and he's an elite recruiter that specializes in WRs, which could help Burns.  I'll be on the Scott Frost bandwagon until it either crashes and burns or there's no more room.

Of course, it goes without saying I would take the job for $1 so long as I got a nice Jacobs buyout to cushion the inevitable fall.

WDE!

Just now, Mike4AU said:

Folks, do you remember when Chizik was soundly criticized for meddling in the offense?  It is ironic that the same criticism is now directed at Gus....and IMO, deservedly so.  

It is a little different when a defensive minded head coach interferes in his OC's offense, than when an offensive minded coach directs his OC in his own offense. 

Archived