Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I mean as OC though. He was Chip's OC but Chip was calling the plays. Was Helfrich calling the O the last 4 years? I don't know much about him. But Terry Bowden had a pretty good first few years too until his guys made up the majority of the roster. Not saying you're wrong at all. I just don't know enough about him. But Auburn2Eugene who has seen the Oregon program up close is not high at all on CMH.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/scott_frost_will_not_coach_the.html this is the best I could find at some concrete evidence. It looks to me like scott frost called the plays while helf was HC at oregon till he left after last season to go be head coach at UCF. No idea who called the plays this past season.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

after mariota left for the NFL his starter the last 2 years were transfers. No wonder Gus would want him. A guy from his own heart who has success with graduate transfers and juco transfers! haha

Reasonable point.  Why didn't he have someone from the HS ranks being groomed behind Mariota?  Anyone know?

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

at rb. So your saying because he was at another position said coach gets all the credit and lane does not? does jimbo get the credit for coker last season since he was at fsu before bama?  Lets not try to mince words. Lane Kiffin is a much better QB developer and better at calling plays than gus....lets get back on topic. who do you want as oc?

Lane is a better play caller, offense designer, probably better recruiter. He isn't much of a QB developer. His background is mostly WR coach, which he is also very good at BTW.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

So, if not Helfrich, who is the consensus, at least from us fans' perspective? Lindsey, Spavital, or other? I'd be fine with Lindsey or Spavital.

I want spav because even though he was the scapegoat he has shown to be a elite recruiter and to have a dynamic passing offense. We need a guy who is going to take our passing offense to another level. We can not let stidham and these WRs go to waste.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Even though he had some great success at Oregon, I agree with you. I don't think teams would be beating down his door to be their HC if he does well at AU. But if he is, in fact, just a Lashlee to Chip Kelly we are going to be totally screwed. How involved he was with QB coaching is very important IMO. If he was just a figurehead I'm totally against hiring Helfrich.

The reason MH won't have many suitors for a HC position is because of salary buyout and scarcity of the opportunity for HC.  Oregon would be very eager to split the cost with AU for his buyout.

MH bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

QB coach under Chris Petersen at Boise for 3 seasons.  QB coach at Arizona St. for 5 seasons.  3 seasons as OC/QB at Colorado.  4 seasons as OC/QB at Oregon under Kelly.  He has an excellent resume'.  I say triple thumbs up !

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

So, if not Helfrich, who is the consensus, at least from us fans' perspective? Lindsey, Spavital, or other? I'd be fine with Lindsey or Spavital.

I want Helfrich. You can't convince me Lindsey or Spavital are better coaches than a guy who took a team to a championship game... What have the others guy proven?

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Helfrich is my #1, Lindsey #2, Spavital #3. But just like with the DB search, Brown was on nobodys list so we're probably grasping at straws.

I want spav because even though he was the scapegoat he has shown to be a elite recruiter and to have a dynamic passing offense. We need a guy who is going to take our passing offense to another level. We can not let stidham and these WRs go to waste.

Well, I don't know as much about Spav as  you do, but I cannot disagree with your reasoning. A lot of us want those points.

3 minutes ago, autigersj said:

I want Helfrich. You can't convince me Lindsey or Spavital are better coaches than a guy who took a team to a championship game... What have the others guy proven?

if helf never called plays at oregon why would we want him as OC? http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/12/scott_frost_will_not_coach_the.html chip called the plays when helf was OC then scott frost called the plays when helf became HC. What does helf bring to the table?

2 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Oh hell, its Malzahn hiring Malzahn....j/k

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

During games... He would Helfrich would follow Chip around like a lost puppy. Often just standing there holding the clipboard... We want nothing to do with Helfrich...in my humble opinion. 

Thanks for the insight. I didn't want to have a strong opinion on him without knowing more about his contribution. If true, that is a concern for me. We may not can not get a 5+ year experienced OC but i'm just not confident with someone we don't know just how much they've contributed or not contributed to the offense. I know Oregon's issue was defense and they looked pretty good on offense when they had that QB Adams but he was pretty special as a Qb. If he wasn't in the game they looked pretty bad. My nephew is a big Oregon and Texas Longhorn fan (don't know where my brother went wrong on that one) so i know a little about Oregon but not much. It really seemed like Chip was very much immersed in the offense. 

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Reasonable point.  Why didn't he have someone from the HS ranks being groomed behind Mariota?  Anyone know?

I bet @Auburn2Eugene would know better than us all. All I can remember is the grad transfer vernon adams worked really well this past season. The guy who they got this year? not so much obviously.

7 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

The reason MH won't have many suitors for a HC position is because of salary buyout and scarcity of the opportunity for HC.  Oregon would be very eager to split the cost with AU for his buyout.

QB coach under Chris Petersen at Boise for 3 seasons.  QB coach at Arizona St. for 5 seasons.  3 seasons as OC/QB at Colorado.  4 seasons as OC/QB at Oregon under Kelly.  He has an excellent resume'.  I say triple thumbs up !

Thanks for that info!

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Another reason I want nothing to do with helf is I do not think he is a dynamic recruiter. He certainly does not have the personality to fit the profile. Plus they run a run heavy spread after mariota left who is a great talent. Gus needs someone to help him with the passing game. Our run game is great. It is just fine. We need a dynamic passing OC who has had great success with QBs and is a great recruiter. I do not see that with helf.

MH's recruiting didn't fall too much from Kelly's.  In fact, CK did a lot with a top 20 class.  Not one class ranked above #12 in 247 since 2010 under CK.  MH's classes have been ranked #19, #21, #16 and #27.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I change my mind as often as you do triple 004. But yes it is always a fun conversation between us and we always keep it civil just like me and you. we just happen to disagree a lot. thats what fam does. Thats what makes it fun! I respect his AND EVEN YOUR opinion and he respects mine. WOOOO!!

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but I admitted you were right in the Greg Brown thread so I have proved that I can do that.  I do agree we do a good job of keeping it civil though. I have seen it get really out of hand (not us, just observing on this thread), and that's never fun for anyone.  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but I admitted you were right in the Greg Brown thread so I have proved that I can do that.  

haha I am def being serious. so you on the helf bandwagon?

I've watched Oregon quite religiously the past 10 years (wife is a die hard Oregon grad).  I don't particularly care to see Helfrich in the O&B.

He simply always seems lost. 

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not but I admitted you were right in the Greg Brown thread so I have proved that I can do that.  

So he is a goober....I knew it!

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

haha I am def being serious. so you on the helf bandwagon?

Helf bandwagon?

Helf bandwagon?

for OC. Mark helfrich.

for OC. Mark helfrich.

Honestly I don't know enough about him to make an educated decision.  I do know when he was HC at Oregon, his offense really wasn't the problem.  His defense just was not good.  Other than that, you probably know more than me. 

I will say, if it does come to light that Helfrich completely helped developed Mariota into the player he has become, I can deal with Helfrich as a play-caller.  We need someone that can keep our QBs (read: Stidham, then Woody) hungry and developing as the QBs we all think they can become.

1997 Oregon (GA)
1997 Vienna (OC)
1998–2000 Boise State (QB)
2001-2002 Arizona State (QB)
2003–2005 Arizona St. (PGC/QB)
2006–2008 Colorado (OC/QB)
2009–2012

Oregon (OC/QB)

That's a great resume.

Also what about Dan Hawkins?

Archived