Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

What time frame do you consider not "dragging out"?

Great question. When looked on the surface, it really isn't dragging out. From the tea leaves, it looks like we swung and missed on #1 (Helfrich). Looks like #2 is at the plate (Yurich). Who knows who's on deck...

When viewed from what was reported the week of the lsu game (Gus was told by PTB to hand over the play calling to CRL so he could either be fired or move on per al.com and multiple others [mods on other sites]), CGM has had 4 months to have someone in place. That's dragging out. 

I'm no insider or pretend to be. I'm no CGM supporter. I love Auburn and hope for the best, but I'm not overly hopeful of what's to come. Hope I'm wrong. Gonna finish my PBR. WDE!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDC who we get as long as that OC takes full advantage of the talent and potential we have at WR.

I think that would have changed by solely having a more complete QB, with the ability to be accurate down the field. Stidham fits that mold.

8 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

Great question. When looked on the surface, it really isn't dragging out. From the tea leaves, it looks like we swung and missed on #1 (Helfrich). Looks like #2 is at the plate (Yurich). Who knows who's on deck...

When viewed from what was reported the week of the lsu game (Gus was told by PTB to hand over the play calling to CRL so he could either be fired or move on per al.com and multiple others [mods on other sites]), CGM has had 4 months to have someone in place. That's dragging out. 

I'm no insider or pretend to be. I'm no CGM supporter. I love Auburn and hope for the best, but I'm not overly hopeful of what's to come. Hope I'm wrong. Gonna finish my PBR. WDE!

Based on the way I've read our insider's posts, I don't think Helfrich was ever in serious consideration. I think that name was conjured up and thrown at the social media wall in the hopes of being right.

The longer this goes on the more it looks like we will be completely shocked about it and its a name that has not even been mentioned. That could be good or bad. Got to give Gus credit for one thing. He has less leaks in the media than any AU coach  in my lifetime.

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I think that would have changed by solely having a more complete QB, with the ability to be accurate down the field. Stidham fits that mold.

I would not bank on it if Gus still has a hand in playcalling. Its going to take a true pass specalist kind of OC to get the best out of our WRs imo. But yes regardless of who the oc is and who is calling plays next year has the potential to be special with stidham. I think he will be everything what people said Jeremy Johnson could be.

6 minutes ago, selias said:

Based on the way I've read our insider's posts, I don't think Helfrich was ever in serious consideration. I think that name was conjured up and thrown at the social media wall in the hopes of being right.

Yep...I am thinking more of the line , we had KB in our grasps and the upper echelon just had to put a stop to it..

Just now, DAG said:

Yep...I am thinking more of the line , we had KB in our grasps and the upper echelon just had to put a stop to it..

I think it was Art. Is lil briles THAT toxic?

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He is a briles and in the public eye..yes

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

It wasn't Art.  The man was unhireable LONG before Lashlee ever left.  There is no way in hell that Malzahn would be foolish enough to even consider him.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

It wasn't Art.  The man was unhireable LONG before Lashlee ever left.  There is no way in hell that Malzahn would be foolish enough to even consider him.

Many of us have said it wasn't Art...Few have listened.

13 minutes ago, selias said:

You may be right. Mods on other sites would disagree.  In the end only Gus would know. Still doesn't excuse the fact that he's had months to prepare for this. 

I agree w Bird about Ok St. If they want to keep Yurich, they have plenty of money to do so. I live in Ok and have been to Stillwater multiple times. They're stadium is superb as well as their other facilities. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I have not listened because I do not want to be let down. He is easily the best hire out there just from a coaching standpoint obviously. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its borderline comical that his name keeps coming up.  Newsflash: there have been and continue to be a lot of job openings around the country and he is still sitting without a job.  No one has forgotten that he exists.  Prognosis? Unhireable, especially at this level.

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

You may be right. Mods on other sites are oils disagree. In the end only Gus would know. Still doesn't excuse the fact that he's had months to prepare for this. 

I agree w Bird about Ok St. If they want to keep Yurich, they have plenty of money to do so. I live in Ok and have been to a Stillwater multiple times. They're stadium is superb as well as their other facilities. 

It hasn't even been a full week since CRL left. I'm not even remotely concerned about the length of time this search has been going so far. My concerns are Gus and Jacobs hiring the right person. I'd prefer we pull KB away from actually going to FAU, I think there's tremendous upside there. This Okie State guy appears that he'd be a solid hire, so I'm ok with that too.

I think folks need to calm down. If we're heading into NSD without an OC, then we can break out the pitchforks and torches.

With such an important weekend of recruiting fast approaching, I am feeling queasy.  Gus has had months.  The Briles thing has been sour since August - that is old news.  Someone said something about screwing up an anvil with a glass hammer?  Surely on Dec 1st Gus had a good list to work with.  Somewhere there have been some breakdowns.  I hope I am wrong.

3 minutes ago, selias said:

It hasn't even been a full week since CRL left. I'm not even remotely concerned about the length of time this search has been going so far. My concerns are Gus and Jacobs hiring the right person. I'd prefer we pull KB away from actually going to FAU, I think there's tremendous upside there. This Okie State guy appears that he'd be a solid hire, so I'm ok with that too.

I think folks need to calm down. If we're heading into NSD without an OC, then we can break out the pitchforks and torches.

I think it really does not matter if it goes that long. I def do not want it to but our offensive recruiting is done for the most part. All of the big fish left we have a realistic shot at are on defense. KB is a tremendous recruiter so if something changes and we get him that could shake up things in a positive way for us.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

With such an important weekend of recruiting fast approaching, I am feeling queasy.  Gus has had months.  The Briles thing has been sour since August - that is old news.  Someone said something about screwing up an anvil with a glass hammer?  Surely on Dec 1st Gus had a good list to work with.  Somewhere there have been some breakdowns.  I hope I am wrong.

I agree with you. Stephen Davis did NOT get enough love. Neither does Kenny Irons.

1 minute ago, selias said:

CRL head was on the chopping block lsu week. Depending on whom you want to listen to, CRL left on his own accord bc he saw the writing on the wall. Others will say he was the fall guy. I don't live in the Auburn athletic dept so I don't truly know. If it were me in CRL shoes, I would've cut ties and proven that I can do this on my own. As far as panicking or calming down, I'm none of the above. Honestly, I think Gus has one year left if the rumors are true that he can't keep his hands off the offense. I hope we win. I don't think Gus is the coach to get it done. He's made very strong coordinator hires in the past. Maybe he'll surprise me again. WDE. 

2 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Is anyone truly surprised this OC search is dragging out? I'll grab a PBR, sit back and watch. This thread is more entertaining than our offense at times this season...

I assume that PTB is powers that be. Exactly who falls in this category? I feel confident that Yurich will be the man. Does anyone know anything different than this? This makes the most sense with everything going on. Yurich  could really make our passing game a top 20 team and could keep our rushing game in the top 20 as well. I think that this time tomorrow, we will have our OC and the discussion could focus on him and his attributes.

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I assume that PTB is powers that be. Exactly who falls in this category? I feel confident that Yurich will be the man. Does anyone know anything different than this? This makes the most sense with everything going on. Yurich  could really make our passing game a top 20 team and could keep our rushing game in the top 20 as well. I think that this time tomorrow, we will have our OC and the discussion could focus on him and his attributes.

Yes. Powers that be. They exist.

I hope you're right concerning  Yurich. I think he'd be a good hire if he's allowed to do what he wants. I wouldn't be surprised if he uses us for a raise. May not be the case, but it wouldn't shock me. We'll have our answer soon. 

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

?

It has been said on here that Greg Brown couldn't recruit because he coached at Wyoming.

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I am listening and I believe.

I believe that....

I believe that we will...

I believe that we will win!

I believe that we will win!!!

I would like to personally get a guy that wasn't going to leave in one year to take a head coaching job. Hiring a Muschamp, Art Briles, Helfrich type will just mask our issues for a year, and then he will be gone and we will be having this same discussion. I think my top two are Scott and Yercich. 

Archived