Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

If Auburn lets Gus go...then how long does the new guy get before he is run off? 4 years? Maybe it's just me and I ain't pumping sunshine but who is out there now that will come here and produce Saban like results, because after all that is what is desired, and should be. The biggest factor I see is the guys played hard and did not quit...this season was about as unlucky as it could be from an injury standpoint and prognostications was that Auburn would not even contend, but they were right in it up until the end of the UGA game. Hell Gus could be the next Bobby Bowden with a little more patience who knows.I just believe the season would have ended better without the injuries, and the time they occurred. The thing that worries me is that if the higher ups are telling Gus what he needs to do then this will not end well, because usually when Auburn meddles it often turns into a cluster u know what. As for the OC hire, he should take his time. Because if as much is riding on this as many say, then he needs to get it right. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I would like to personally get a guy that wasn't going to leave in one year to take a head coaching job. Hiring a Muschamp, Art Briles, Helfrich type will just mask our issues for a year, and then he will be gone and we will be having this same discussion. I think my top two are Scott and Yercich. 

IDK about you but I would not worry at all about helf getting a head coaching job anymore for awhile. I personally believe he did not contribute that much to oregons success. especially when chip was there.

I'll probably be blasted for this, but what about Kurt Roper? I think he could do very well... But would he consider a lateral move? Would it be considered a lateral move? 

6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

CRL head was on the chopping block lsu week. Depending on whom you want to listen to, CRL left on his own accord bc he saw the writing on the wall. Others will say he was the fall guy. I don't live in the Auburn athletic dept so I don't truly know. If it were me in CRL shoes, I would've cut ties and proven that I can do this on my own. As far as panicking or calming down, I'm none of the above. Honestly, I think Gus has one year left if the rumors are true that he can't keep his hands off the offense. I hope we win. I don't think Gus is the coach to get it done. He's made very strong coordinator hires in the past. Maybe he'll surprise me again. WDE. 

If we make the right hire (Yurich), we will produce a ton of great offense. I think that Gus is a very good HC and his offense works great with the kind of QB that can run his offense. Gus misfired when he recruited and signed Jeremy Johnson in that he cannot remotely run Gus' offense. Tyler Queen has been a bust. JFIII has been a huge disappointment. SW when healthy can deliver the goods. I think that with JS and Woody & SW, we will have the quality QB play that can give us 10 plus wins for the foreseeable future. Gus just needs the right QB to run the show in that the show can be awesome as we saw during the 6 game winning stretch. A healthy SW would likely have resulted in a nice win over Uga. We could even have taken bammer to the wire and could have won that game. Win those games, who knows where we would have wound up.

Please no more pocket passer / pro style QBs recruited Gus. You hopefully have learned your lessons and are ready to step up to the plate and hire an OC that can run your offense and let the new OC take control. If you choose wisely, you will likely have a boost that will result in 10 wins or more being the standard of Auburn football.

I am no coach or anything remotely who can tell you who you should hire and how you plan to let the OC run the show. It is a rather simple plan that all hinges on your choice to run the show for 2017 and hopefully beyond. I find that control freaks are better off letting go what they hold dearly, but know it will poison your career rendering you to coaching somewhere in South Dakota at a level where you have to line the field before each home game.

10 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I would like to personally get a guy that wasn't going to leave in one year to take a head coaching job. Hiring a Muschamp, Art Briles, Helfrich type will just mask our issues for a year, and then he will be gone and we will be having this same discussion. I think my top two are Scott and Yercich. 

I do not think it will be Scott whatsoever. I do not think it will be any of the Briles family. Helfrich is very unlikely as well. Yurich is likely the man. The OC this past season at Texas (Sterling something) could be another option. It is very, very unlikely that someone on staff will be promoted. I feel confident that this time tomorrow, we will have our OC.

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

If we make the right hire (Yurich), we will produce a ton of great offense. I think that Gus is a very good HC and his offense works great with the kind of QB that can run his offense. Gus misfired when he recruited and signed Jeremy Johnson in that he cannot remotely run Gus' offense. Tyler Queen has been a bust. JFIII has been a huge disappointment. SW when healthy can deliver the goods. I think that with JS and Woody & SW, we will have the quality QB play that can give us 10 plus wins for the foreseeable future. Gus just needs the right QB to run the show in that the show can be awesome as we saw during the 6 game winning stretch. A healthy SW would likely have resulted in a nice win over Uga. We could even have taken bammer to the wire and could have won that game. Win those games, who knows where we would have wound up.

Please no more pocket passer / pro style QBs recruited Gus. You hopefully have learned your lessons and are ready to step up to the plate and hire an OC that can run your offense and let the new OC take control. If you choose wisely, you will likely have a boost that will result in 10 wins or more being the standard of Auburn football.

I am no coach or anything remotely who can tell you who you should hire and how you plan to let the OC run the show. It is a rather simple plan that all hinges on your choice to run the show for 2017 and hopefully beyond. I find that control freaks are better off letting go what they hold dearly, but know it will poison your career rendering you to coaching somewhere in South Dakota at a level where you have to line the field before each home game.

I agree. However Trotter, Moseley, Frazier, Wallace, JFIII, Queen, Johnson all say hello....

Yurcich looks like the best choice to me. He made about the same salary as Lashlee last year, so a salary bump might be appealing. However, is he going to look at Auburn as an opportunity to advance his career by leading an SEC team into a new era of successful offense? Or is he going to see this (based on the remarks of Malzahn as wanting a guy to run the Malzahn offense) as just becoming another Lashlee? Because, if Gus just wants a kid to drive the same old offense, Yurcich won't take it -- and I wouldn't blame him. Is CGM going to let a new OC actually take over the offense?

To all of those who want/wanted Helfrich... 

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here aren't like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here sent like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

Oregon has suspended their S&C Coach without pay for one month.

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here sent like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

Maybe its all that devil grass 

26 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I got deja va reading about Oregon players mailing it in in the weight room under Helfrich. 

28 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Their new coach had them doing a rigorous military type workout. Three different kids kidneys were shutting down. I think that's a knock on Willie T. and not Helfrich.

2 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

Their new coach had them doing a rigorous military type workout. Three different kids kidneys were shutting down. I think that's a knock on Willie T. and not Helfrich.

Do you?  Has Taggart had this happen anywhere else? Fact is, he got here, saw how soft these guys were and they had "to get beat"  as my Sr. Chief liked to say. Sure it happened now. But you have to ask yourself why... And you will quickly open your eyes to the puppet master behind the scenes of why it happened in the first place... 

76 pages in and here's what I know.... Gus will hire someone that no one is mentioning (or has even heard of), the offense will likely continue to be the same, and if there are no significant improvements next year, he'll likely be gone. Not to be a debbie downer, but I lost a lot of faith, particularly after watching the Oklahoma game. I know injuries were a big part of that, but AU got whooped on for 3/4 of the game. It wasn't even a competition. 

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

steele had ties to Auburn though with his brother working in our Athletic Department. It did not totally come out of nowhere.

Still....if you want to, we can play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and everyone has ties to AU and Gus.

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

JF3 is a bust. Huge bust. 

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here aren't like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. IF and that is a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE if Helfrich takes the AU job he won't have anything to do with the player development as far as training. Just going to be the OC. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Is he? Aside from about half the fan base, I didn't think there was really a whole lot of expectation there. I will say, when he was in and allowed to pass, some passes were a thing of beauty. The majority, not so much. The kid does have a live arm though. 

13 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Cold balls. 

Cool

“…So don’t steam your oysters, put 'em on ice with Armachillo!”

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/mn-armachillo/15274.aspx?processor=content

(no product endorsement is intended or implied)

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Franklin has ended up being a confusing player.  He made sense originally as I expected his speed meant he would be used elsewhere if he did not pan out as a QB.  Instead, he did not pan out as a QB and was not used elsewhere.  If he is still at the QB position next season, he will certainly be a bust.

2 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Is he? Aside from about half the fan base, I didn't think there was really a whole lot of expectation there. I will say, when he was in and allowed to pass, some passes were a thing of beauty. The majority, not so much. The kid does have a live arm though. 

I think the consensus is if you get a JC player, especially qb, you expect him to start....or at least be a viable contributor.

Just now, FASTCOMPANY said:

I think the consensus is if you get a JC, especially qb, you expect him to start....or at least a viable contributor.

Understandable, but in this case, AU got a backup Juco QB. Sure he played, but he was still the backup. 

2 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

JF3 was brought in by Rhett and Gus to be a serious contender for the starting QB. Came out of Fall as the 4th string QB. Bust. Bust at QB anyways. Huge bust at QB. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JF3 was brought in by Rhett and Gus to be a serious contender for the starting QB. Came out of Fall as the 4th string QB. Bust. Bust at QB anyways. Huge bust at QB. 

I've read that all year, and I'm not even in the same world as Gus and Rhett when it comes to evaluating players but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm just saying, from the outside looking in, it doesn't make sense to think a backup Juco QB could come in and legitimately compete. 

Archived