Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, weagl1 said:

Back to the OC search any more news other than the one interview?

Been more than one interview. It is safe to say that if a OC isn't named today then the search isn't going as planned.(As nice as I can say)  

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JF3 was brought in by Rhett and Gus to be a serious contender for the starting QB. Came out of Fall as the 4th string QB. Bust. Bust at QB anyways. Huge bust at QB. 

Bust by definition requires a player to be highly rated or thought of. The reality is he was not highly rated or thought of besides, Gus, Rhett, & some extremists on AU message boards. It's harsh to say but JF3 wasn't a bust as a QB. He is a never was as far as a P5 college QB.

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I've read that all year, and I'm not even in the same world as Gus and Rhett when it comes to evaluating players but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm just saying, from the outside looking in, it doesn't make sense to think a backup Juco QB could come in and legitimately compete. 

We on the same page. And I've been saying this same thing since AU signed JF3. One of those many :slapfh: :blink: :gofig: moments with Gus. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Been more than one interview. It is safe to say that if a OC isn't named today then the search isn't going as planned.(As nice as I can say)  

Do you think Gus may be "strong arming" the would be new OC? I mean, is it possible that Gus is telling him that they'll still be running Gus's base O with whatever the new OC will do sprinkled in?

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yup. Lost most of any optimism I had. Quality candidates just don't believe Gus will let them do their job is my opinion.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat it.

12 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe Gus is waiting on this thread to hit 100 pages?

so, 

Sunday at about noon

at the rate we're going

4 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Do you think Gus may be "strong arming" the would be new OC? I mean, is it possible that Gus is telling him that they'll still be running Gus's base O with whatever the new OC will do sprinkled in?

He's saying the right things. I just think candidates don't believe him because how controlling he is and how he handled Rhett most of the time. Word gets around in the coaching profession how coaches really are regardless of what is printed in media.

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To all of those who want/wanted Helfrich... 

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here aren't like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

I'm sorry, but that is a load. The players aren't in the hospital because they mailed it in during Helf's S&C workouts, they're in the hospital because the new S&C coach didn't do his damn job. There's pushing players to their limits so they can get better, and then there's just putting them in danger. This is a case of the latter.

Plain and simple, between the nutrition staff and the S&C staff, something went very wrong, and the new staff shouldn't blame a single thing on the old staff. Hell, the University even recognizes it. They've already suspended the S&C coach for a month without pay during arguably the most important part of off-season training. 

I was just thinking this morning how typical the coaching search has become. You look at other major schools and they wrap them up quickly. Seem to know, if not who then at least what they want in a coach. If uat loses one they usually have his replacement in an off-field job, see Sark and new OL coach. Even when uat just changed ADs they had already gotten his replacement before the old AD announced he was stepping down. At AU , it seems every time we need to hire either a coach or off field replacement we go through a major cluster, Most coaches already have a list of contacts ready in case it happens. Gus and JJ seem totally un-prepared to do their jobs. Maybe Gus needs to drop back to an OC because he sure does not possess the skills needed to be a CEO. JMHO

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I was just thinking this morning how typical the coaching search has become. You look at other major schools and they wrap them up quickly. Seem to know, if not who then at least what they want in a coach. If uat loses one they usually have his replacement in an off-field job, see Sark and new OL coach. Even when uat just changed ADs they had already gotten his replacement before the old AD announced he was stepping down. At AU , it seems every time we need to hire either a coach or off field replacement we go through a major cluster, Most coaches already have a list of contacts ready in case it happens. Gus and JJ seem totally un-prepared to do their jobs. Maybe Gus needs to drop back to an OC because he sure does not possess the skills needed to be a CEO. JMHO

Gus and every coach has a list. I just think higher valued candidates that he's talked to or interviewed don't trust him.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Gus and every coach has a list. I just think higher valued candidates that he's talked to or interviewed don't trust him.

It's not just having a list, it is also having contact and some faith that the other person has an interest. Heck it is even knowing what it will take to get them here. That is being prepared. It is like having backup parts ready if the machine goes down. It is like carrying a spare tire and a jack in your car if the tire goes flat. Good managers are going to be prepared for the problem. And no, I don't think Gus has a back up plan. His plan is to fly by the seat of his pants, because he thinks he is a genius  and everything will come out fine.

8 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I'm sorry, but that is a load. The players aren't in the hospital because they mailed it in during Helf's S&C workouts, they're in the hospital because the new S&C coach didn't do his damn job. There's pushing players to their limits so they can get better, and then there's just putting them in danger. This is a case of the latter.

Plain and simple, between the nutrition staff and the S&C staff, something went very wrong, and the new staff shouldn't blame a single thing on the old staff. Hell, the University even recognizes it. They've already suspended the S&C coach for a month without pay during arguably the most important part of off-season training. 

Sounds like the S&C coach pulled a Bear "Junction Boys" on them. If you have not read the book, it's really good. Talk about hard core football. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Sounds like the S&C coach pulled a Bear "Junction Boys" on them. If you have not read the book, it's really good. Talk about hard core football. 

Problem is that this is not the 1960's. Doing so today will get you fired and a lawsuit for the university.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Or they don't trust Auburn.  Or both.

You can guarantee people 2 or 3 years with good money all day long, but it still means moving your family.  There are some who don't really care that you're guaranteeing them $800k/year for 3 years if it means uprooting their families to move across the country only to possibly be out of a job 12 months later and have to do it all over again.

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

To all of those who want/wanted Helfrich... 

There are a number of Oregon Duck players in the hospital right now... Because the new workouts are too strenuous... These boys up here aren't like those guys from southern Florida... Everything about Helfrich is soft

“The University of Oregon has suspended football strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde one month without pay after three players were hospitalized following a series of intense workouts last week.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4832210-155/college-football-oregon-strength-coach-suspended

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bust by definition requires a player to be highly rated or thought of. The reality is he was not highly rated or thought of besides, Gus, Rhett, & some extremists on AU message boards. It's harsh to say but JF3 wasn't a bust as a QB. He is a never was as far as a P5 college QB.

The announcers insisted on calling him a JC All American during almost every broadcast.

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You can guarantee people 2 or 3 years with good money all day long, but it still means moving your family.  There are some who don't really care that you're guaranteeing them $800k/year for 3 years if it means uprooting their families to move across the country only to possibly be out of a job 12 months later and have to do it all over again.

Just reminded me of Tommy Boy,  you can put a guarantee on the box scene, love it.

Edit:  I also agree with what you are saying

38 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Can you say who we have missed on??

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

To me, Gus has demonstrated he is an "all in" type of coach and can't cope when things do not go by his plan A.  For example, 2015 with JJ, signing JFIII and we get the Clemson game plan and going into the UGA with SW not 100% and having no viable backup plan and sticking with him.

With regard to the OC hire, Gus' plan A (reported by many on this board) was to hire Kendall Briles and when Auburn nixed that choice, we see Gus going to plan B in which he has shown he does not excel deciding on a plan B.  So, this is where Gus evolves to a CEO type or we're looking at a new coach in the future.  The "coach in training" monicker is gone and it's sink or swim time for Gus. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Exactly!

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This. I think the idea of working for AU is intriguing for many/most college OCs but the idea of working for a coach that 1) must win this year to keep his job and 2) has made a living out of calling offensive plays makes it is hard sell. The good news is that he can sell the fact that we will have a ton of offensive weapons this year and if they are put in the proper position we should be very successful. 

Hopefully this will be wrapped up today and we will move forward. 

10 minutes ago, autigersj said:

Can you say who we have missed on??

Not yet, things are very fluid and names can fall back into the fold

Archived