"A chance to win a championship'

aubiefifty

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Stidham was a 5-star, #1 dual-threat who started as a true freshman in a QB focused attack.

You just described every quarterback that has failed under Kevin Sumlin at TAMU and a couple that have failed under Gus. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You just described every quarterback that has failed under Kevin Sumlin at TAMU and a couple that have failed under Gus. 

Which 5-star QBs started as a freshman and failed under Gus?

As for Sumlin... that's internal issues, not ability on field.  All of Sumlin's "failures" have gone on to other good schools.  Murray and Allen had their years off last year, but Hill (who was a 4-star) was the starting QB for TCU and did well (has to get his interceptions down). We'll see next year if Allen is starting for Houston. Murray will likely be sitting at least one more year since Mayfield didn't declare. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Which 5-star QBs who started as a freshman and failed under Gus?

As for Sumlin... that's internal issues, not ability on field.  All of Sumlin's "failures" have gone on to other good schools.  Murray and Allen had their years off last year, but Hill (who was a 4-star) was the starting QB for TCU and did well (has to get his interceptions down). We'll see next year if Allen is starting for Houston. Murray will likely be sitting at least one more year since Mayfield didn't declare. 

I'm not going to argue 4* vs 5* or whatever. You know what my point was, which is that guys with Stidham's hype fail all the time, and have multiple times under our head coach (as well as lots of other head coaches). 

As someone else said, you stay on script and that's respectable. But- semantics and the time space continuum aside- it defies logic and recent experience to say that Stidham *is* a good, productive Auburn quarterback. He's even less of one that Jeremy Johnson was at one point. All anybody's saying is stay optimistic but don't count your chickens yet. Not sure what's wrong with that. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To be fair, let's also look at the QB coach... Chip Lindsey is a proven developer.

3 minutes ago, logan adams said:

To be fair, let's also look at the QB coach... Chip Lindsey is a proven developer.

He's probably an upgrade from Lashlee in that regard. But will he be left alone to do his job? Will Gus swoop in at the first sign of trouble and line Chandler Cox up under center? Will Lindsey mesh with Hand and Horton, if he's still around? I mean, it's probably going to be okay. Stidham's probably not going to fail at Auburn. At a minimum, our offense is probably going to improve. I just don't know when "probably" became a bad word. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's probably an upgrade from Lashlee in that regard. But will he be left alone to do his job? Will Gus swoop in at the first sign of trouble and line Chandler Cox up under center? Will Lindsey mesh with Hand and Horton, if he's still around? I mean, it's probably going to be okay. Stidham's probably not going to fail at Auburn. At a minimum, our offense is probably going to improve. I just don't know when "probably" became a bad word. 

Not sure.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess I should have started with "are you familiar with Midway?" I figured since they are in Texas (Waco), and we're talking D, you would know how hard they play and the complexity of the schemes they might run.

I know of them, but they're no Katy (who was one of the greatest HS D's I've ever seen). They run a 3-4 with a cover 4 base D. The are aggressive, but they are more known for their offense and baseball. Midway has always had a great baseball team.  Sorry I can't give more insight.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's even less of one that Jeremy Johnson was at one point.

Explain this to me... 

Jeremy attempted 78 passes prior to being named the starter and lead the team in 1 full game, against Western Carolina. Stidham threw 81 passes in just his 3 starts (109 total), which were against Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, two of which were wins. Jeremy threw 9 touchdowns in 2 years, and ran for 1 prior to being the starter. Stidham threw 12 in one year and ran for 2. Jeremy had one great half of a game, against Arkansas, that snowed everyone. Stidham threw for over 250 yards in all 3 of his starts. Jeremy threw INTs against Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic. Stidham also had 2 INTs, but both were against Oklahoma (who, incidentally, was a play-off team).

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All anybody's saying is stay optimistic but don't count your chickens yet.

I guess I just get annoyed by the negativity. It's like everyone expects every QB to be the next Jeremy.  Some so much that they try to find failure in them. I spent last year defending Sean and now people are already starting to look for faults in Stidham.

We as AU fans, by now at least, should know that the "wait and see" approach is our best bet. The kid has been out of football for 1.5 years. Playing against pimpley high schoolers who are worried about who to ask to the next school dance on a scout team is not something that gives me a full dose of warm and fuzzies. However, I'd say we upgraded our QB position as a whole by adding Stidham but who knows if things will work out. But we now have 2 viable options which is good.

There is only 1 sure thing when it comes to AU football and that is that there are no sure things.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Stidham threw 81 passes in just his 3 starts (109 total), which were against Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, two of which were wins. Stidham threw 12 in one year and ran for 2. Stidham threw for over 250 yards in all 3 of his starts. Jeremy threw INTs against Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic. Stidham also had 2 INTs, but both were against Oklahoma (who, incidentally, was a play-off team).

Awesome! He didn't do any of that at Auburn.

I guess I just get annoyed by the negativity. It's like everyone expects every QB to be the next Jeremy.  Some so much that they try to find failure in them. I spent last year defending Sean and now people are already starting to look for faults in Stidham.

First of all, nobody is trying to find failure, say that he's going to be the next Jeremy or even trying to say that he'll probably be anything less than good. All anybody is saying is that there's a chance that he might experience some of the same problems that several other of Gus's QBs have. (Many of which having nothing to do with their actual talent; see: Sean White, Tyler Queen, possibly Woody Barrett)

There's a vast gray area between "impossibly knowing that good things will happen before they have" and "AUBURN QBS ALWAYS SUX". That gray area is where almost everybody else is, me included. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

First of all, nobody is trying to find failure

That's a pretty broad statement for this crowd.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

There's a vast gray area between "impossibly knowing that good things will happen before they have" and "AUBURN QBS ALWAYS SUX". That gray area is where almost everybody else is, me included. 

I get you... and believe me, I'm not trying to dog on you or the wait and see crowd. I'm just very much a statistics and probability guy, and when I see results repeated more than once, I would find a change in pattern to be far more surprising than repetition of the norm. Barring injuries, I see the chance of poor overall QB play, next year, as very low. I'm far more concerned about our O-Line gelling.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's a pretty broad statement for this crowd.

Hah! Touche

I get you... and believe me, I'm not trying to dog on you or the wait and see crowd. I'm just very much a statistics and probability guy, and when I see results repeated more than once, I would find a change in pattern to be far more surprising than repetition of the norm. Barring injuries, I see the chance of poor overall QB play, next year, as very low. I'm far more concerned about our O-Line gelling.

Gotcha. That's fair, especially that part about the OL. :drink1: 

:cheers: 

JJ had impressive stats before becoming full time starter that were being pointed to and that was supposed to translate for when he became starter. It didn't. I know they are 2 different people, but I feel like I could copy my posts pre-2015 regarding JJ and they could apply to JS because we essentially know the exact same about each guy before going into a season where they will be starter (assuming JS wins the job). There were a few of us who were not 100% on the JJ train before 2015 season started because we were going off of such limited data -- he crushed it when he was on the field until 2015 but it was so limited that some of us weren't convinced yet.

Plus with Gus' handling of QBs at times I think the apprehension towards JS is well warranted JMO

Nobody is saying JS won't be good, but there's nothing wrong with mentioning the possibility that he could underwhelm (like the guy before him) and mentioning things that could be problematic to keep an eye out for.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

JJ had impressive stats before becoming full time starter that were being pointed to and that was supposed to translate for when he became starter. It didn't. I know they are 2 different people, but I feel like I could copy my posts pre-2015 regarding JJ and they could apply to JS because we essentially know the exact same about each guy before going into a season where they will be starter (assuming JS wins the job). There were a few of us who were not 100% on the JJ train before 2015 season started because we were going off of such limited data -- he crushed it when he was on the field until 2015 but it was so limited that some of us weren't convinced yet.

Plus with Gus' handling of QBs at times I think the apprehension towards JS is well warranted JMO

Nobody is saying JS won't be good, but there's nothing wrong with mentioning the possibility that he could underwhelm (like the guy before him) and mentioning things that could be problematic to keep an eye out for.

Well said start to finish, but that's a really important point. We can debate the merits of questioning Gus's handling of QBs in any of the many other threads on the topic, and we all know that we have a new OC and Gus has said that he will only speak when spoken to; but, right or wrong, the wait and see mentality is as much about Auburn as it is about Stidham. 

I think if Chip begins to bring in his guys, or at least one of his guys, we can then assume that this is Chip's offense. IMO.

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I think if Chip begins to bring in his guys, or at least one of his guys, we can then assume that this is Chip's offense. IMO.

I just hope he doesn't need to bring in his guy at Running Back coach. I think Kodi already is his guy, considering he hired him before he was at AU.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well said start to finish, but that's a really important point. We can debate the merits of questioning Gus's handling of QBs in any of the many other threads on the topic, and we all know that we have a new OC and Gus has said that he will only speak when spoken to; but, right or wrong, the wait and see mentality is as much about Auburn as it is about Stidham. 

Yup. So many new parts and supposed shuffled roles we're just going to have to see. I mean who would've guessed after we were on a tear with Rhett calling plays that Gus would yank play calling duties back from him? If things fall in place we could be scary good. If we are dysfunctional it will also show.

Not to hijack, but doesn't it seem odd that Gus' most trusted person was a guy he ultimately didn't trust? He said "I don't know" if he would've given up play calling duties if Rhett had stayed on. So he would always say he trusted Rhett to be his OC but not really? lol seems weird to me.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think this gives us a really good chance of winning a championship:

What time is dinner ?

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

IMO, AU is a OL away from being a contender. Better sure up the pass blocking. Won't matter who the QB is. 

I could not agree more. When Cam arrived he had a Senior laden O-Line that had been together a while, when Nick arrived he had a very experienced O-line his first year.  I am not discounting anything Cam and Nick did but neither would have been as good as they were behind an O-line with 2-3 new starters.  More than any other unit on the field you need time together so you know each others strengths and weaknesses so that you can work as a unit. 4 out of 5 guys can do their job perfectly and the QB or RB can get creamed if 1 of the 5 misses.   A receiver runs the wrong route QB has a route tree and other receivers or option to pull down the ball and run.

So as important as Stidham and a healthy SW is, as important as having a pass running TE  is, as important as our stable of good RB's are, and as important as having a year under their belts for our young receivers are the key to our offense is how good the O-Line replacements are and how fast they can gel as a unit.

Archived