"A chance to win a championship'

aubiefifty

Gus always says the same thing after rcruiting. But after the season gets underway, we'll most likely lose to Georgia and Alabama again and Gus' record will drop to 1-4 against those two team. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Dude, Auburn's athletic department should hire you as their publicist and pay you about a quarter million a year.  Nobody can spin the sunshine and kool-aid anywhere close to what you can.

Hoping all your predictions come true.

If they're open to it, I'd gladly take the pay bump :)

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm VERY confident about Stidham, and I think him being legit will keep Sean healthy. If not, then fingers crossed that Woody or Malik are the next Lamar Jackson.

I don't disagree with with you on any of this but... I had huge confidence in JJ6 going into 2015, I actually thought he would be better then NM and put a passing spark in the offense.  God was I disappointed but he did add a spark, you never knew when he was gonna connect on a pick 6.  

I'd temper expectations for Stidham some, a few things to note, he's been out of football for a year, he played in the Big12 not exactly known for their defense, and what if he doesn't win the respect or command the leadership required to be a team leader for AU.  Those factor greatly in this coming season.  

Just now, corchjay said:

I don't disagree with with you on any of this but... I had huge confidence in JJ6 going into 2015, I actually thought he would be better then NM and put a passing spark in the offense.  God was I disappointed but he did add a spark, you never knew when he was gonna connect on a pick 6.  

I'd temper expectations for Stidham some, a few things to note, he's been out of football for a year, he played in the Big12 not exactly known for their defense, and what if he doesn't win the respect or command the leadership required to be a team leader for AU.  Those factor greatly in this coming season.  

Yea, I get all of that, but unlike Jeremy, he started for multiple games before going down. He was also a 5-star recruit his first go around. 

As for the year off... it wasn't really a year off.  He was both working with a coach and serving as a scout team QB for a local high school.  It's not like he was sitting on his butt. I would venture to say that he got more work than any QB in the NCAA, because there are no limitations on a QB working with a coach as much as he wants for as long as he wants, when he's not on a team.

On the leadership front, everything I've been reading has said that the team is already behind him.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, I get all of that, but unlike Jeremy, he started for multiple games before going down. He was also a 5-star recruit his first go around. 

As for the year off... it wasn't really a year off.  He was both working with a coach and serving as a scout team QB for a local high school.  It's not like he was sitting on his butt. I would venture to say that he got more work than any QB in the NCAA, because there are no limitations on a QB working with a coach as much as he wants for as long as he wants, when he's not on a team.

On the leadership front, everything I've been reading has said that the team is already behind him.

I hear what you are saying about working out and all but that's nothing like getting his butt planted by a big DE or having some serious DB covering his WRs on a route or having a couple of his WRs drop passes that hit them between the numbers.    I'd prefer to wait and see him win the job over SW first and even then, would not use the Ga. Southern game as proof of anything.   I'm with Corchjay......better to wait and see...and also give the guy a chance to work into the job....and into SEC level of play before drawing too many conclusions. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I hear what you are saying about working out and all but that's nothing like getting his butt planted by a big DE or having some serious DB covering his WRs on a route or having a couple of his WRs drop passes that hit them between the numbers.

Don't forget, he was working as the scout team QB for a high school in Texas... All of the above could have happened.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Don't forget, he was working as the scout team QB for a high school in Texas... All of the above could have happened.

Could be ...I'm just doubting he has had "contact" since he left Baylor....can't see him risking injury working out with a HS team or where ever....except when he is under scholarship protection....JMO

I think the 2016 team was close to being a really good team. We were "a QB away" from being great. 

With JS and a healthy SW as his back up AND all of our RBs coming back, plus all of that young WR talent getting a year better and getting a lot more chances to showcase their talent, our O has the potential to be the most balanced O we've ever had under CGM and at least in the top 3 best Os. 

We will miss Lawson and Adams, but thank the good Lord Davidson and Brown showed up as good as they were!  I don't expect much drop off on the DL. The LBs will only be better. In the backfield we'll miss Rudy and Holsey. However, our DBs should be good this year. And we're in year 2 of CKS's system. We have depth across the board on O and D. 

I really do think we have "championship potential" in 2017. 

Now let's go live up to that potential Tigers!!!!!  War Eagle!!!

Just playing devils advocate here and using "logic" already established here on the board about can only judge someone by ranked teams.  Yes he has played games before and looked special.  However, in games against ranked opponents his completion percentage was 58% and he had 3TD 2 INT.  How many ranked teams will he play this coming year if the starter, 5? 6? 8 or more?

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be ...I'm just doubting he has had "contact" since he left Baylor....can't see him risking injury working out with a HS team or where ever....except when he is under scholarship protection....JMO

You could be right.  I certainly considered that when I was replying, but I also thought, as a scout team QB, they might have asked him to go live. In any case, even if he didn't go live, that's only a maximum of about 36 fewer hours of potential contact than any other QB out there. He still got to make reads, make passes, and avoid taking the sack, even if a sack is just a touch.

The ball still takes funny bounces, and I don't care what anyone says about excuses, but not losing key players for big games or for stretches at any point in the season makes a huge difference too. Once in a while you'll see a team on its second or 3rd QB with second or 3rd center and left tackle and a walk-on at tailback (because everyone ahead of them is hurt) turn into some kind of point scoring machine, but not usually. Injuries make a difference. Here's to seeing a very healthy AU Tigers football team this fall. No major injuries!

10 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Hopefully he means that all of the next 3-4 years will be special.

That's the way I took it. As in "We are primed for a potential run."

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Gus supporter but he needs to shut the frick up about hyping his teams or any player.  He has put himself on the bubble of the hot seat with all this talk.  Without his "NFL QB" talk about JJ6 maybe the fall in 2015 ain't so hard.  Plus he's been saying the future is bright since 2014.  Go do it coach and stop talking about it.  Go win some games against our 3 main rivals now because the last decade our record against bammer, UGA, and LSU is putrid.

I can understand confidence but you never know what might happen with a team, players fail out/transfer, get in trouble, don't live up to expectations, and of course injuries.  

So next tim Gus please just say we hope to get better every day and every year.

War Eagle 

Yep! Nothing like adding a few more hot coals to your own smoldering posterior. 

Yep, Auburn has a chance to win a championship.

Of course "a chance" is 0% to 100%. Auburn's realistic chance? Who knows?

CGM was screaming about how JJ would win the Heisman -- which would, of course, require winning lots of games.

I'm not listening to CGM's happy burbling. I'll be watching the play on the field.

Wow! Yes! I sure hope Auburn wins a championship. But as for CGM's shouts of glory, well, I'm wishing he'd just shut up.

Let your play on the field define you, not your boasting.

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You could be right.  I certainly considered that when I was replying, but I also thought, as a scout team QB, they might have asked him to go live. In any case, even if he didn't go live, that's only a maximum of about 36 fewer hours of potential contact than any other QB out there. He still got to make reads, make passes, and avoid taking the sack, even if a sack is just a touch.

I certainly hope JS is all that and a bag of chips.  However, until I see him perform under SEC pressure, I'm not buying in to the hype.  I can see where a HS scout team keeps him physically active and maybe helps some mentally in reading the Defenses but no way am I buying that a HS defenses is going to hone his skills and prepare him for SEC D's.  They aren't doing the shifting and moving that an SEC Defense is doing.  I think he's got a lot of potential but like many others here, I need to see performance.

As for CGM's comments, this is his 5th year with a team loaded with talent that he recruited, he needs to put up or pack up.

To be realistic, this team has more depth/talent than any other team Gus has been the head coach of. So those referring to his past remarks, I believe this one can be justified. 

1 hour ago, AU04ever said:

I can see where a HS scout team keeps him physically active and maybe helps some mentally in reading the Defenses but no way am I buying that a HS defenses is going to hone his skills and prepare him for SEC D's.

Fortunately, we have an expert on that subject.  Hey @bigbird... How well do you think the boys at Midway High School helped Stidham to hone his skills last year?

In any case, I think everyone is still too shell shocked from the Jeremy incident to see that we struck gold with Stidham. Even if he's just as good as, and no better than Sean, we're golden... and I would lay money on him being better, if for no other reason that he is a more natural runner.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Fortunately, we have an expert on that subject.  Hey @bigbird... How well do you think the boys at Midway High School helped Stidham to hone his skills last year?

In any case, I think everyone is still too shell shocked from the Jeremy incident to see that we struck gold with Stidham. Even if he's just as good as, and no better than Sean, we're golden... and I would lay money on him being better, if for no other reason that he is a more natural runner.

Glad I stayed at a Holliday inn express last night! It definitely helped some, but not as far as SEC prep goes. There is no substitute to SEC defenses. It helped with keeping his footwork, eyes, and mechanics fresh. 

Just now, bigbird said:

Glad I stayed at a Holliday inn express last night! It definitely helped some, but not as far as SEC prep goes. It helped with keeping his footwork, eyes, and mechanics fresh. 

I guess I should have started with "are you familiar with Midway?" I figured since they are in Texas (Waco), and we're talking D, you would know how hard they play and the complexity of the schemes they might run.

16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I think the 2016 team was close to being a really good team. We were "a QB away" from being great. 

With JS and a healthy SW as his back up AND all of our RBs coming back, plus all of that young WR talent getting a year better and getting a lot more chances to showcase their talent, our O has the potential to be the most balanced O we've ever had under CGM and at least in the top 3 best Os. 

We will miss Lawson and Adams, but thank the good Lord Davidson and Brown showed up as good as they were!  I don't expect much drop off on the DL. The LBs will only be better. In the backfield we'll miss Rudy and Holsey. However, our DBs should be good this year. And we're in year 2 of CKS's system. We have depth across the board on O and D. 

I really do think we have "championship potential" in 2017. 

Now let's go live up to that potential Tigers!!!!!  War Eagle!!!

IMO, AU is a OL away from being a contender. Better sure up the pass blocking. Won't matter who the QB is. 

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

In any case, I think everyone is still too shell shocked from the Jeremy incident to see that we struck gold with Stidham. 

Everybody thinks we probably struck gold with him. It requires a lot of naivete and optimism to say that we definitely have.

I'm not too worried about Stidham working out day 1 because a healthy Sean White is a very good option.  Sean has 2 years working with the first team and building chemistry which goes a long way toward making a team great.  I look at Stidham like Jacob Cooker.  He was the be all end all during the preseason but didn't live up to the hype till year 2 and even then it took a couple games.  Personally I'm holding my hype train at bay till after Aday and possibly till I see that first game.  I don't disagree that the rest of the team is stacked.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I'm not too worried about Stidham working out day 1 because a healthy Sean White is a very good option.  Sean has 2 years working with the first team and building chemistry which goes a long way toward making a team great.

Agreed

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I look at Stidham like Jacob Cooker.  He was the be all end all during the preseason but didn't live up to the hype till year 2 and even then it took a couple games.

Except Cooker was a 3-star, #15 pro-style recruit and perennial back-up in college.  Stidham was a 5-star, #1 dual-threat who started as a true freshman in a QB focused attack.

I'm not saying that Stidham is going to be the next Cam Newton... but the idea that he might not be good enough to revive our offense makes no sense to me.

Archived