"A chance to win a championship'

aubiefifty

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

We finally have the players, in all positions, to make the Iron Bowl decide who wins the SEC Championship for at least the next 2 years... if we can reload in the meantime, it could become a perpetual thing.

I hope you are right, lionheart. But I don't like counting on LSU to continue to underachieve, and I really don't like that we can't seem to beat UGA. Finally, I don't think we can count on Bama having one SEC loss heading into the Iron Bowl for the next two years. 

Until we consistently beat LSU (tough task) and can beat UGA at all (impossible, apparently), we need to count on Bama losing at least one game. Who's going to beat them? Ole Miss? Tennessee? :dunno:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

I hope you are right, lionheart. But I don't like counting on LSU to continue to underachieve, and I really don't like that we can't seem to beat UGA. Finally, I don't think we can count on Bama having one SEC loss heading into the Iron Bowl for the next two years. 

Until we consistently beat LSU (tough task) and can beat UGA at all (impossible, apparently), we need to count on Bama losing at least one game. Who's going to beat them? Ole Miss? Tennessee? :dunno:

I don't feel like we have to count on LSU to underachieve to beat them, nor do I think beating UGA will be a problem now that we have 2 capable QBs. Our problem with Georgia has been timing. If we faced them mid-season, we'd be 2-0 instead of 0-2 in the past 2 years.  Heck, we'd probably be 3-0 vs 0-3. I feel like we have the pieces to run the table until the Iron Bowl, as well as better overall coaching than Georgia, and on par or better than LSU.  LSU will be the toughest task outside of bama, but we have yet to see if coach O has what it takes to be a quality head coach (without the interim title).

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't feel like we have to count on LSU to underachieve to beat them, nor do I think beating UGA will be a problem now that we have 2 capable QBs. Our problem with Georgia has been timing. If we faced them mid-season, we'd be 2-0 instead of 0-2 in the past 2 years.  Heck, we'd probably be 3-0 vs 0-3. I feel like we have the pieces to run the table until the Iron Bowl, as well as better overall coaching than Georgia, and on par or better than LSU.  LSU will be the toughest task outside of bama, but we have yet to see if coach O has what it takes to be a quality head coach (without the interim title).

I feel like we beat LSU at home, and then lose to them away, and that seems like a fairly regular deal. I haven't looked up the records under CGM, but that's gotta be close to right.

We should have beaten UGA, but we apparently cannot, for whatever reason. I'm not going to count that game as a win until it's over.

You know I tend toward the sunshine end of the spectrum. But I guess I'm feeling my inner realist.

5 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

I feel like we beat LSU at home, and then lose to them away, and that seems like a fairly regular deal. I haven't looked up the records under CGM, but that's gotta be close to right.

We should have beaten UGA, but we apparently cannot, for whatever reason. I'm not going to count that game as a win until it's over.

You know I tend toward the sunshine end of the spectrum. But I guess I'm feeling my inner realist.

This year's UGA game broke me. I proclaimed loudly and annoyingly, I'm sure, that we had the better team and that past tendencies against them did not matter that and that we were going to win that game in a walk. I still believe the first of those statements to be true, which is why I now waver on the second. Gus lost twice in a row to the worst UGA teams we're likely to see since a decade before and possibly a decade after. He got his butt absolutely whipped by them the year before. That is a major alarm that will ring over him until he beats them. You don't get the ifs and buts three years in a row. I'm not buying the timing excuse. We need to be fielding our best team in November. It's probably the most damning of all the indictments of Gus's tenure. 

2 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

We should have beaten UGA, but we apparently cannot, for whatever reason.

The reason is, for the last 2 years we've faced them with broken QBs.  The year before that, we were demoralized by a game we shouldn't have lost prior to facing them, and they were a 10-3 team who only had > 1 score loss the whole season.... oh and Todd Gurley/Nick Chubb 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We need to be fielding our best team in November.

Hard to do when you are injury prone and have 1 QB.  Having 2 solid QBs this year should make all the difference in the world.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hard to do when you are injury prone and have 1 QB.  

This is the problem most have.  There was no reason AU shouldn't have been able to get a solid back up in for when the 1 injury pone QB went down (yes this is crying over spilled milk). Taking on a project late in the recruiting cycle was not an attempt to fix, it was a hail marry. We should have a solid backup regardless of who wins #1 when Nov rolls around.  However, here's hoping CL gets the reigns and can adjust to what the defenses give him.

Just now, AU04ever said:

This is the problem most have.  There was no reason AU shouldn't have been able to get a solid back up in for when the 1 injury pone QB went down (yes this is crying over spilled milk). Taking on a project late in the recruiting cycle was not an attempt to fix, it was a hail marry. We should have a solid backup regardless of who wins #1 when Nov rolls around.  However, here's hoping CL gets the reigns and can adjust to what the defenses give him.

Different discussion. Problem already solved. The point is, we couldn't beat Georgia on the field because we were hobbled, not because of some mysterious juju that keeps Gus from beating them.  We won't be hobbled this year unless we have the worst luck in all of college football.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Having 2 solid QBs this year should make all the difference in the world.

One would hope. We just have to hope that Stidham is legit or Sean can stay healthy. It'll be a long time before I ever make any assumptions about an Auburn QB. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

One would hope. We just have to hope that Stidham is legit or Sean can stay healthy. It'll be a long time before I ever make any assumptions about an Auburn QB. 

I'm VERY confident about Stidham, and I think him being legit will keep Sean healthy. If not, then fingers crossed that Woody or Malik are the next Lamar Jackson.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

"Add in this group to what we've got, I mean I think we've got a chance to really do something special in the next three or four years."

Um... also... I don't think you have 3-4 years to make something happen, Coach. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i know you guys hate the "site". i understand. i have been to several sites this morning and they have the only new articles out. once again my intent is not tp promote that site but to give us all something new to talk about. shrugs try not to make a big deal out of it. just want to see new discussions...........

Living in Bham most of my life until recently I just got used to that source of news. I don't hate them but just take it with a grain of salt. If I was in China I wouldn't get great news about the US there either. Bham is communist country in that sense, all they see and know is red. I appreciate what you do Fifty, it does saving me from clicking on most of the articles. War Eagle. 

The reason is, for the last 2 years we've faced them with broken QBs.  The year before that, we were demoralized by a game we shouldn't have lost prior to facing them, and they were a 10-3 team who only had > 1 score loss the whole season.... oh and Todd Gurley/Nick Chubb 

I am not trying to get into and argument and to a degree you are right, BUT, for the last three years Gus has some other excuse for not being able to get his job done.  I don't know what everyone on this message board does professionally, but where I work, if I fell short on my projects by the deadline three years in a row I would have been fired. 

Different discussion. Problem already solved. The point is, we couldn't beat Georgia on the field because we were hobbled, not because of some mysterious juju that keeps Gus from beating them.  We won't be hobbled this year unless we have the worst luck in all of college football.

We have Jay Jacobs as an AD so basically the same thing.

We won't be hobbled this year unless we have the worst luck in all of college football.

We're coming after you if this ends up true! :poke:

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I am not trying to get into and argument and to a degree you are right, BUT, for the last three years Gus has some other excuse for not being able to get his job done.  I don't know what everyone on this message board does professionally, but where I work, if I fell short on my projects by the time the deadline it three years in a row I would have been fired. 

That's because you aren't a football coach where failure is not measured by the inability to win every game or the inability to beat specific teams that the fans want you to beat. It's a completely apples to oranges comparison.

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

We have Jay Jacobs as an AD so basically the same thing.

Jacobs has little to nothing to do with the actual product on the field.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's because you aren't a football coach where failure is not measured by the inability to win every game or the inability to beat specific teams that the fans want you to beat. It's a completely apples to oranges comparison.

Jacobs has little to nothing to do with the actual product on the field.

Dude, Auburn's athletic department should hire you as their publicist and pay you about a quarter million a year.  Nobody can spin the sunshine and kool-aid anywhere close to what you can.

Hoping all your predictions come true.

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Gus supporter but he needs to shut the frick up about hyping his teams or any player.  He has put himself on the bubble of the hot seat with all this talk.  Without his "NFL QB" talk about JJ6 maybe the fall in 2015 ain't so hard.  Plus he's been saying the future is bright since 2014.  Go do it coach and stop talking about it.  Go win some games against our 3 main rivals now because the last decade our record against bammer, UGA, and LSU is putrid.

I can understand confidence but you never know what might happen with a team, players fail out/transfer, get in trouble, don't live up to expectations, and of course injuries.  

So next tim Gus please just say we hope to get better every day and every year.

War Eagle 

Coach Dye needs to teach Gus how to down play your team to the media and then go out and kick ass on Saturdays.

40 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Dude, Auburn's athletic department should hire you as their publicist and pay you about a quarter million a year.  Nobody can spin the sunshine and kool-aid anywhere close to what you can.

Hoping all your predictions come true.

I'm convinced only a blood relative would go to the extremes to spin the last 2/1/2 yrs of AU football under Gus' leadership in a positive light.  And to work 24/7 on this board to quash any "perceived" negativity with an excuse for what has been at times some piss poor coaching and decision making from the man in charge.

I'm all for finding a ray of sunshine and hoping for a brighter future, but damn!

24 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Coach Dye needs to teach Gus how to down play your team to the media and then go out and kick ass on Saturdays.

Auburn is all about motto's....All In....A New Day....Auburn Fast....Earn It!  

I nominate the 2017 motto >>>>>  "Put Up Or Shut Up!"

Archived